It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School suspends boy for anti-Obama shirt

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

Most people define hate speech this way.

Hate speech is a term for speech intended to degrade, intimidate, or incite violence or prejudicial action against a person or group of people based on their race, gender, age, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, language ability, moral or political views, socioeconomic class, occupation or appearance (such as height, weight, and hair color), mental capacity and any other distinction-liability. The term covers written as well as oral communication and some forms of behaviors in a public setting. It is also sometimes called antilocution and is the first point on Allport's scale which measures prejudice in a society. Critics have claimed that the term "Hate Speech" is a modern example of Newspeak, used to silence critics of social policies that have been poorly implemented in a rush to appear politically correct[

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
You know technically the kid was right.

Obama & Ayres/ Rezko

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by SectionEight

Children can be brutally honest.

So can I.

I don't think an 11 year old has any idea what he is talking about. This is obviously something he has heard or seen from his parents or adults....

Reminds me of Nazi brownshirts.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
how about "mccain the Klu kluks klans best freind" tee shirt.

Is that some sort of chicken racist group? That would be a pretty funny shirt.

Go ahead and wear it. If you can't refute a statement made by others then maybe it just shows that the statement is in fact true. That's basically why Obama chose to leave Rev. Wrights church, he couldn't keep defending the things Rev. Wright was saying.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

Then maybe you should stop misrepresenting yourself with that "Deny Ignorance" on your pic to the left. That is the most ludicrous definition of hate speech I have probably ever seen. I do not believe in any way, shape or form can something that is true be classified as hate speech.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
However the school itself said he wasn't suspended for the shirt. That implies the shirt was within guidelines.

True. I didn't see that part.

So, they suspended him for willful disobedience. Does that mean that the school can tell anyone to remove any piece of clothing, turn their clothing inside-out, wear their shoes on the wrong feet, put their underwear on their head and the student must obey?

The school is wrong. Whoever made the decision to suspend this kid is wrong. They should have taken the opportunity to educate the classroom about something. What patriotism means to different people, Free Speech, terrorism, agreeing to disagree, the myth of the statement on the t-shirt, ANYTHING. But no, they closed it down and caused a big stink. Stupid. :shk:

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Dann Dalton, the boy’s father — a “proud conservative” who has taken part in anti-abortion protests — told MyFOXColorado.com that the school is making a mistake by suspending his son.

Must make daddy proud, huh?

What I find humorous is all the same people who were throwing a fit last week about the John McCain picture with blood on his mouth......think this is just a "freedom of speech" issue.

HA.

You don't have free speech in elementary school! You do what the grown-ups tell you to.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Grafilthy

You will notice I wasn't one of them complaining about the McCain picture. To be honest, I didn't even hear about it. Go ahead and make it a poster for all I care. It's not going to sway many IMO.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

You can honestly sit there and say this crap are you even American????

As a American I reserve the right to wear what I want and say what I want to say if if offends somebody Oh well, Im not going to be a enabler belly rubber that is politically correct because it pleases people I call them as I see them and in this case a Spade is a spade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do us all a favor and move to North Korea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   

I find your picture hilarious given your statement above. Talk about giving contradictory statements. I like the Irony of it. Subversive indeed!

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Whats really sad is that the school offcial that made this decission is a Obama Supporter and couldnt handle the truth but isnt that the case with most Liberal voters?????????

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SPOOKYSINNER666

Do you have supporting evidence of this claim?

Most principals I know tend to steer down the middle, not showing their own political beliefs for fear of getting one side or the other against them. They don't tend to talk politics or religion publicly. They are interested in keeping their jobs, that means trying to please everyone and offending no one.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by pavil

I find your picture hilarious given your statement above. Talk about giving contradictory statements. I like the Irony of it. Subversive indeed!

Guess we use different dictionary's.

How exactly did I contradict myself? And where is the irony? (subverting Obama???)

If there was any fact in the shirt, then OK....protest. Repeating the hateful crap your parents taught you is no protest....it's parroting. Now, if you have opinions on the ISSUE, then by all means.......go ahead.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SPOOKYSINNER666

Whats really sad is that the school offcial that made this decission is a Obama Supporter and couldnt handle the truth but isnt that the case with most Liberal voters?????????

And if you read the article....you would see:

Dalton’s suspension was for willful disobedience and defiance, not for wearing the shirt. His father said he intends to sue the district.

Since I see you are probably not worth arguing with...you are on ignore...
Good bye.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grafilthy

You don't have free speech in elementary school! You do what the grown-ups tell you to.

Definiton of Irony:

A statement that, when taken in context, may actually mean the opposite of what is written literally; the use of words expressing something other than their literal intention; The quality or state of an event being both coincidental and contradictory in a humorous or poignant and extremely ..

Your picture shows "Protesting, it's just Un-American" and someone looking like they have been beat up by police for protesting. You label yourself as subversive, yet you will gladly go along with what the "grown-ups" tell you.

Sorry you don't see the Irony of that.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
children don;t have rights.

i got arrested more than once as a child...and the police don't even have to give you your free call...or right to a attorney speech.

and many times the police will even tell you a minor has no right's.
sad but true fact's.

but to be honest the boy that made the shirt is right...

obama is friends with Billy Ayre.
en.wikipedia.org...

so it's kinda hard to punish a boy when he is telling the truth.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Kids are suppose to go to school to learn and not be allowed to voice political opinion,
.....unless they attend a University and political opinion is pro left.

Boy, I can't wait till this kid goes to College. He is going to give the Academia and the Left leaning Professors a heart attack.

Where can I get a shirt like that?

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Do you mean to say that I am an 11 year old at an elementary school?!??!???

Yes. CHILDREN do as they are told for their safety.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Do you think an 11 year old truly understands our political system??? I think it more likely it was the parents idea. Just like when the Mexician children were sent to protest and wave Mexician flags in California. parents should not use their children as "billboards!" Also, who gets to say what hate speech is? Maybe to me it is hate speech. I think schools go way overboard on some things, but this shirt was disruptive. Again, just my opinion.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   

No I am sure you are of adult age.

Children are not allowed to disagree or protest the adult view? I fear for our Country then. You were the one talking about brownshirts.

Moving on...........

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join