It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School suspends boy for anti-Obama shirt

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Can someone help me make this into a t-shirt?

link

Awesome. Might need an lcd screen built into the shirt, but it is worth the effort. You could go a long way with this kinda idea once you had a screen in there. You could have a picture of Bush with his testicles connected to a car battery and then have a button over your crotch that when it is pushed it shows him getting his nads shocked. This way you kill two birds with one stone. You get to make a political statement and you get a happy ending.

The awesome thing is then when Obama gets elected you can just switch the picture to him getting his nads schocked. This thing could last you for or five administrations.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barcs
Somebody needs to explain to me how associating a presidential candidate with terrorism is patriotic. If he wore a shirt that said something good about McCain it would be different, but that is just a bit extreme. Honestly we all know it came from the parents, or at least what the parents are pounding into this kid's head. As if an 11 year old has even remotely close to the knowledge on politics to wear a shirt like that. Schools should not allow political T-shirts and the likes, much like how most jobs do not. Patriotism is fine, but hate is not. Funny how this election (and most others lately) have been purely based on hatred of the other candidate instead of support for your own. Quite pathetic actually. Leave the kids out of politics. There's absolutely no reason to get them involved in that type of hatred, I don't care which candidate you support.

[edit on 23-9-2008 by Barcs]

How is that hatred. Its just an exaggeration to get a point across. I think it is called Hyperbole. There is nothing wrong with it. It is not like it said his mother was a dirty ....

[edit on 23-9-2008 by justsomeboreddude]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by justsomeboreddude

Well, it would be patriotic as patriotism is towards a country not a person. Now, if this shirt was exposing people to the danger the country faces if a "terrorist's friend" gets elected, than this is a very patriotic thing to do.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barcs
Somebody needs to explain to me how associating a presidential candidate with terrorism is patriotic.

As soon as you explain to my how is it that a candidate for President of the United States knowingly hangs out and is friends with a known, self admitted, terrorist, Bill Ayers, is even possible? If Obama didn't do certain things, he wouldn't be called that.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ninthaxis

Well, it would be patriotic as patriotism is towards a country not a person. Now, if this shirt was exposing people to the danger the country faces if a "terrorist's friend" gets elected, than this is a very patriotic thing to do.

Now isnt this just semantics. Obama is one of the two most likeliest people to get elected president in November. If you think Obama is a terrorists friend (which I think they were just exaggerating the fact that he is perceived to be weak on terrorism/natiional security) then isnt it patriotic to point out that one of those men might take a weaker stance on terrorism?

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
Elementary schools are not grounds for free speech. School's rules trump Constitutional rights.

I just want to say that this is completely wrong. Schools can make rules to keep things orderly, though, so if they say that this shirt was causing disorder they can rightfully ban it.

But you do NOT shed rights when you go into a school, technically. Basically, the school can function as a loose parental structure within the bounds of some general constitutional constraints.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SectionEight
Man his rights were trampled.
Children can be brutally honest.
Since when was the truth unpatriotic?
Quadafi wants him elected, Syria wants him elected, Iran wants him elected, Chavez wants him elected. The truth hurts.

AND Ca, NY,NJ,IL,NM,CO,IA,PA....

and ENGLAND,NORWAY,GERMANY,FRANCE,GREECE,ITALY...

THE GOP has lost its way, the trickle down big money first is costing us a bundle.
Watch our GUY come in and get us back to good. The fear mongering, the manipulating, the secret commissions and the BILLIONAIRE tax code will be no more.
FACE the MUSIC would ya?

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

If I may interject....

AND WASHINGTON!

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I don't think politics should enter schools, but in this case the school allowed the students to show their Patriotism yet didn't like it when someone came in with a political T-shirt. I believe that it is good when someone show their patriotism by stating their opinion on the nations politicians.

This kind of day would never happen in the UK sadly.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
What is in the school conduct code? It would be in a book or on the school website. T shirts with offensive material, violent messages, etc, are typically not allowed in public school, period. I know a lot of school officials will tell the person to go to the bathroom and turn it inside out for the rest of the day, but who knows what that school's rules are. Suspension seems harsh, but I don't blame them for not allowing the shirt.

Freedom of speech in a school, other than college, is a load of crap. You cant let a bunch of kids just say or do what they want or they would curse out the teachers and start riots.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by raven bombshell
What is in the school conduct code? It would be in a book or on the school website. T shirts with offensive material, violent messages, etc, are typically not allowed in public school, period. I know a lot of school officials will tell the person to go to the bathroom and turn it inside out for the rest of the day, but who knows what that school's rules are. Suspension seems harsh, but I don't blame them for not allowing the shirt.

Freedom of speech in a school, other than college, is a load of crap. You cant let a bunch of kids just say or do what they want or they would curse out the teachers and start riots.

I think the point may be that it is neither offensive or violent. If anyone was offended by this I would say they are a little oversensitive.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by raven bombshell

I checked, as I actually had their school's site bookmarked for future reference
www.aps.k12.co.us...

They dont have a manual on their site. So maybe the Aurora Public School district site has a general manual for all their schools.

www.aps.k12.co.us...

Ok. Im still doing some digging....

Aurora Public Schools Policies and Regulations

www.aps.k12.co.us...

.pdf for STUDENT POLICY AND REGULATIONS:

www.aps.k12.co.us...

[edit on 9/23/2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by DJMessiah

they do teach our children things that are falsehoods and almost all teachers are for unions and liberalism...point is they want to stifle our children to implant their beliefs in them and when the children refuse they expel them

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike

Originally posted by DJMessiah
Elementary schools are not grounds for free speech. School's rules trump Constitutional rights.

I just want to say that this is completely wrong. Schools can make rules to keep things orderly, though, so if they say that this shirt was causing disorder they can rightfully ban it.

But you do NOT shed rights when you go into a school, technically. Basically, the school can function as a loose parental structure within the bounds of some general constitutional constraints.

NOT true... There are many things that shape the conduct in public schools. I had to spend each and everyday running away from a little cart so I could wear what I wanted.
IF I was caught wearing "banned" clothing I would have to change into school provided grease stained jumper....
I wonder if a kid had a shirt that read " JOHN MCCAIN CALLS ASIANS GUKS AND WILL HATE THEM FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE".

WOULD you REDS dig that? THESE WORDS HAVE COME FROM HIS MOUTH,,,SO?

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

Ok I will bite. I wouldnt be offended by that because its true, he did say that. Hopefully it would be seen as being a restatement of what he said and not meant to say the person wearing that agreed with the statement.

I do want to remind you that McCain did apolgize for the remarks. I have two Vietnamese children and I was not offended by them because I realized he probably has moments where he feels that way. If I was beaten and tortured by a group of people it would be hard to totally forgive that.

[edit on 23-9-2008 by justsomeboreddude]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Hello, folks!!!

Just thought I'd throw out a suggestion for possible "T-shirt survivability in elementary school" clothing options:

A female coworker of mine once wore a T-shirt with a picture of a beaver and a piece of wood in it that said:

BEAVERS LOVE WOOD.
(Get it?)

She also wore a shirt with a picture of a fishing rod saying :
GRAB YOUR ROD---LET"S GO FISHING.

Wouldn't that be cool AND ambiguous enough for the school to accept???
I think even high schoolers would be able to get away with a shirt like that.
If that kid had had a less "obvious" shirt that said (let's say)
OBAMA---SYRIA'S BEST FRIEND---I bet we would not be talking about this.

Let's bring back subtlety, people.
:lol

BTW, I agree that the school should not have suspended him.
Just my two cents.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   

How about this?

republ I CAN

democ RAT

I think the universe has a sense of humor.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by obiwanbeeohbee

How about this?

republ I CAN

democ RAT

I think the universe has a sense of humor.

Very nice. Keep up the good work. I hope if God exists we crack him up from time to time. That is the best part of being a father is when your kids do something hilariously outrageous.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
The shirt is pretty tasteless & dumb, but I don't see why the kid should be suspended for wearing it.

Really, schools are way too uptight these days

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
If anyone bothered to read my link way back on page one, you would see in fact kids constitutional rights are NOT forfeited at the school door. The courts already decided.

With that out of the way, and all the idiots who think the kid doesn't have free speech here silenced forever, this kid could be a poster child for an anti-liberal school movement. Every conservative in the nation would donate to a cause that beats down the blatant and rampant liberal infiltration of our school system.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join