It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was attacked today. I am stunned.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Hi Jane .. hope you're feeling easier today. Please don't give yourself a hard time over this. Given the situation, I can't think of a better way to handle it than the behaviours you demonstrated. And as others have already said, you survived. You survived. Others in the same situation may have responded differently and may be in hospital now, or dead. But you're standing, you're fine (if a little bruised physically and emotionally). You did well. Be proud of that, please.

You're not a violent person. You didn't respond with violence. You kept your wits about you. You walked away. And although you feel bad .. imagine how the kid/man feels ! He must feel like an idiot. He must already KNOW he's an idiot. Not very 'manly' of him, was it ? Not exactly the sort of thing he could boast about .. pushing a woman old enough to be his mother to the ground and squirting her with a water-pistol ! All he did was prove what an immature clown he is. And if he does try to big-note himself before others about the incident, you can be sure his buddies will ridicule him. He behaved ridiculously. He knows it.

Also, be confident that the kid will soon lose his liberty. His future is practically written and it's all downhill. So he'll be put out of action sooner rather than later.

As for using a kick to the genitals, or pepper spray, or a knife or gun ... not in the real world in the situation in which you found yourself. If you'd done anything even remotely aggressive, it would have been regarded as an open invitation not only to the bully, but also his two friends. It could have become very ugly. You realised that. You handled it perfectly. Be proud. Discretion is the better part of valour. Your obligation to yourself is to survive. You handled it brilliantly.

Ok, you took a fall. It was a shock. It later felt humiliating. But you're not Clint Eastwood and you're not supposed to be. This WILL make you stronger, wiser and yes .. more confident. Because something this shocking HAS happened to you and now you know you can trust yourself to respond intelligently and survive.

Sooner or later we're all humiliated, shocked, terrified. It's not like the movies or our fantasies. So it puts us in touch with OUR reality. You realised YOUR reality: you're not 21 any more, you're not an Olympic sprinter or kung-fu expert. Heroes didn't dash to your aid. Bullies ARE able to push us around. There are always going to be those who're bigger and stronger. They're not always going to behave rationally. And under their often reassuring facade, our neighbourhoods are quite often far uglier and more dangerous than we often allow ourselves to accept. In those horrifying moments, all these realisations hit you.

So yes .. you thanked the bully for terrifying and humiliating you. And at the moment, you're angry you did so. But I think before much longer, you'll realise that you weren't far wrong in thanking him after all. Because he unintentionally gave you what is known as a 'wake up' call. It wasn't nice and didn't feel good. But it might be of enormous value to not only you, but to your family also .. an unsolicited cautionary experience that may later on save your or one of your loved ones. Because you'll all be just that bit more cautious from now on. And that's not a bad thing, is it.

I think you did great and hope you come to see it that way too. You're alive, you're well, you still have your humour, you've been given a new and valuable perspective. Because after this, you'll probably find that you give extra thought to where you go and you'll undoubtedly begin visualising methods of extricating yourself from future problem encounters .. and so will your son and husband. Which will mean you're all that much more prepared, mentally and even physically, if you find yourself in a similar or more dangerous situation. There are positives to be drawn from what happened to you. Which nullifies whatever the bully did.

You did well :-)

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by salchanra
Why dont you belong there? Its your city as well as the next persons. Sure, there are places I dont want to be, but Ill be damed if someone is going to tell me that I cant walk down the street he lives on.

If you read the later posts, this lady just moved into this neighborhood, and it sounds like the neighborhood is quite rough and undergoing gentrification (gang signs and razor wire).

She believed walking in a "confident" manner would keep her safe. I suspect her polly-anna pc mindset is going to be a whole lot different in a years time.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by seejanerun

I think you know that calling the police was indeed a waste of time, just as you suspected from the start. Now this event really might come back to haunt you since you decided to pick the scab. Don't mean to sound like a jerk, but I think you get what I'm saying. I'm still glas you weren't really hurt though.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

Morons have been known to fill soakers with acid and take a stroll to the beach if I remember correctly.

That is exactly what I was thinking when reading the OP. I had the "oh, please don't tell me..." in the back of my head as I was reading along. It is also the first thing that I would think if someone I didn't know tried to attack me with a water gun. She was very lucky indeed.

I wasn't there, so I can't say wether or not deadly force was warranted, but I certainly can't say that it wasn't warranted.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I know how to defend myself, why didn't I do it? I just don't understand.

Don't be ashamed. It was shock. And I think you raised a very valid point in your rapid-fire thought process about thinking that the kid would stop short of you. I think I may have expected the same thing if I had been watching the kid charge at you. (When he didn't, I would have taken care of the rest for you by the way, if I had been there.
)

In the end though, you have "broken your cherry" so to speak. You will, most likely, react differently next time. With less fear, and more anger, remembering this event.

Best of luck to you.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
This world is full of morons and unfortunately you can't do anything about it. I've been verbally attacked in the street many times and have been with male friends who have been physically attacked. I've found that having a well trained German Shepherd is a fantastic deterrent! I will not go anywhere without her as the area I live in is rather rough. I know a lot of people on here will suggest self defense classes, but that will prove useless as these idiots go around in packs, like animals, and I wouldn't stand a chance.

Next time you decide to go for a walk, stick to areas you are familiar with

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

No, I read the entire thread, I always do to avoid looking like an idiot. Difficult as that may be at times.

Yes, I understand she is new to the area and had she driven down this road before, one would make the assumption she would have taken more precaution before going alone on foot.

The point I was making with the text you quoted is even though this is a rough neighborhood, there is no reason why thugs should think they can claim it as their own and tell her she doesnt belong there.

Events like what happened in this instance, are far too common in the US. (not sure about the rest of the world as I dont live there) One or two good people get attacked and intimidated by a group of thugs/bullies/whatever, word spreads and the bullies win. I was suggesting that we need to do what we can to end this. A show of force from the community to tell these types of people their antics will not be tolerated. When good people do nothing, evil always wins out. Stand up to these nuts who are taking our streets, our blocks, our neighborhoods. Its the only way live without fear.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
these kinds of people operate on the assumption that the people they attack wont do a thing. when people start standing up to these scumbags is when this crap will stop and not a second sooner! the police wont do a thing and we all know it. I hate to tell all of you this but this woman is lucky to have not been seriously injured or killed. a 200+ lb man slamming you to the concrete/pavement? if you had landed on your head/neck it could have very well been fatal! easily as much force as a bat to the back of the head. dont believe me? then how do football players wearing full protection and being larger & in better shape sustain serious injuries with regularity and sometimes even die from being done the same way on a softer surface? if it were me he would have been shot, end of story. I dont like to take risks with my life. I have a family and if they put me in jail I will still get to see that family. shooting that CRIMINAL would have served multiple purposes. he would never attack anyone again, it is unlikely his friends would either after seeing the other possibility and you wouldnt have been at near the risk of injury/death by shooting him before he attacked. you state that "I believe this person will probably cross over to criminal at some point". I hate to break it to you hun but what this guy did IS CRIMINAL!!! it sounds to me like you are in denial.

I dont mean to sound like I am piling on you but you have a responsibility not only to yourself but to your neighbors to NOT let this man get away with this. the message that sends to him is that it is accepted behavior and HE WILL DO IT AGAIN. will your conscience be able to accept that fact when someone else is injured because you were in denial and just wanted it to go away? let me tell you something, it wont go away just because you ignored it. we HAVE to face these problems head on. there is no other way!

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by salchanraOne or two good people get attacked and intimidated by a group of thugs/bullies/whatever, word spreads and the bullies win. I was suggesting that we need to do what we can to end this.

Well IF the area is undergoing gentrification (middle class people buying homes in the hood) then time will fix the problem. The housing prices go up (maybe not anytime soon in this market, but eventually) and the thugs get pushed out and replaced by other middle class families. It happens a lot in Atlanta, and some areas are becoming quite nice as a result.

If that is the case the neighborhood will eventually be reclaimed on its own. I wonder why they said she didn't belong there. What was that comment based on? I certainly hope she was not a person of color walking in a white neighborhood and hearing such comments during an assault, because if THAT were the case that would change this situation into a hate crime.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   

It's terrible what happened to you. Scary as hell. I feel that everyone should take self-defense classes, including men. I'd like to say that I'm optimistic, but I'm not...Violence is going to get much worse as population pressure and poverty increases. This is just common sense. The media pours lethal doses of violence/gore on primetime television. It's becoming a narcotic for the young who think it's reality. And the more they watch, the more they believe it and the more they learn to admire it. It's totally sick.

I am non-violent by nature, however, I believe that everyone has the right to protect him/herself when threatened. You could not know whether this young man had an actual gun or knife on his person. I own a legal concealed weapon, am a crack shot with it and would use it if I feel my life or another's was in jeopardy. With practice anyone can be good enough with a weapon to deter a threat without killing!! I understand your position of benevolence (Oh God, how I do!!) and I understand about not wanting to expose a person to jail or worse. But the odds are that young man is already on his way to hardcore criminal behavior. If you had a legal to carry weapon the odds would have at least been equal that you would have scared the person away and stopped the attack. Important!!! You do have to know that you can use the weapon if you find yourself in a compromised position. Not knowing that about yourself would be the most dangerous thing you could do.

I must also be critical of your actions today. You did absolutely right in showing no fear; it is an escalator. Walking against traffic is also a good thing to do. I feel for you, but no one has yet told you that you were at least equally to blame for what happened. I'm sticking my chin out in saying this, but I'm not a liar and I don't pussyfoot. You were placing yourself in an area where you knew you should not be. If you ever feel uncomfortable about an environment again, even if you don't know why you feel that way, do not enter it! One's subconscious is often correct and trustworthy. Never, but never, ever do anything that could potentially place you in such a spot again. Don't shop after dark, even in high-quality settings. Do not enter parks, even in the daytime, no matter how visually clear they may seem except in areas where you can be helped by a nearby person who might at least use a cell phone to help call the police. Stay close to people in groups such as families, older women, etc. And don't expect the police (who, I believe, to be largely benign and concerned individuals ready to risk their lives for you!) to be a few minutes away. That's highly naive. It's amazing how busy they can be even in 'nice' communities.

Okay, I've said enough. I've said it because I care about your future and I hope that anyone reading this will glean some useful information and become more 'street savy'. I'm sorry this happened to you. Don't let it happen again!

Sincerely, BearPaws

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Hmm anyone had a think about what these animals will do when food cannot be found and big govt can no longer pay for stuff?

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
"He is calling out a war hoop, he also has super soaker water gun in his hands."

LOL I'm sorry but the way you tell this story gives me a hilarious mental image. You should learn to laugh at this because it could have been worse, you could have hit your head on the ground. Chances are this kid had no intention of really hurting you. How where you dressed? This could have had a lot to do with it, there are some areas you just don't go to looking a certain way. anyway, I'm glad your ok.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by anyone
Don't listen to Texasgunman he is absolutely wrong. I think things may have gone an entirely different way up to and including your own weapon possibly being turned against you.
-anyone

No .."anyone" is wrong texasgunman is right. protect yourself and with the proper training a gun is no more dangerous than a kite, people like "anyone" dont understand guns and/or how to use the properly. A conceal carry license is your best defense, who knows what those guys may or may have not done to you at that moment?

What if their intentions would have been to kidnap and rape you for 2 weeks and then kill you? Would you rather of had a gun right then and their and maybe stopped the whole thing?? maybe they do get your gun and kill you right their, but then you dont get raped and tortured for two weeks.

Guns dont kill people, people kill people.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by GhostR1der

Hmm anyone had a think about what these animals will do when food cannot be found and big govt can no longer pay for stuff?

Hmm, maybe those were the desperate conditions that spawned these monsters in the first place.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I thought about these kind of behaviors in people when things get hard also just like the last poster had said.

I would like to clear up one thing. I don't live in an area going through gentrification. I don't think the area I was in is going through it either. At least not yet. I live in a zip code that doesn't have registered sex offenders.

My mistake was that when I walked under the railroad tressle on the main road I left Worthington proper and entered into Columbus. I should have realized it was a different world. I normally hop off the interstate, make my car payment. Get back on the interstate and get off at the next exit.

That is what I will do in the future. I can assure you of that.

As for the men who have said they would have handled it Thank you. Who says chivalry is dead???

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I can happen anywhere and at any time. I had an experience when I was younger that still haunts me to this day.

When I was about 17, 4 friends and I decided to go up to the local pizza place on a Friday night to hang out and see what was going on. Back then schools had their segregated populations. There were jocks, freaks, goths and nerds. We had been hearing rumors that day of a jock and a freak being in an arguement earlier in the day and that there was going to be a jock freak fight after school. We had forgotten all about the fight rumors by early evening and we all started on our way down to the pizza place.

Between the last neighborhood road and the pizza place there was a 4 acre empty lot of desert that you had to walk through to get to the rear of the stores and restaurants. We followed the trail that cuts through the desert and made it to the wall between desert and stores. There were an unusually high number of people walking around and talking. Two of my friends decided to go check out the situation while we all waited outside. Most of us had shoulder length hair and we usually all wore concert T's and Levi's. Well my friend Mike and Steve came back and were walking in a hurried manner. They walked quickly right past us and loudly whispered, "walk fast, come on lets go!"

We didn't understand what was going on but the fear in their faces told us that they were not messing around. As we made it about 1/3 of the way through the desert I looked back and what I saw I will never forget. It was dark now and all I could see is what looked like human ants coming out from all angles around the wall.

They were all running at full speed in our direction. For some reason we didn't run, we all just kept walking fast. Within what seemed like just a few seconds these guys were all around us. I stopped, looked around and saw they had my friend Mike. Two of them were holding his arms and one was punching him repeatedly in the stomach and then I saw him get punched in the face, there was blood and teeth fell out. My other friend Steve was standing closest to me and had the longest hair out of all of us, as I turned to look at him four guys grabbed him by the hair and took him to the ground punching and kicking.

It was now my turn and I was surrounded by five very large guys. I believe they hesitated beating me up because I had shorter hair than the rest, also I recognized and had played sports with a couple of them. One of them stood in front of me and he was really pumped up, he looked me right in the eyes asked me this one question, "Are you a jock or a freak".

At that moment my mind sent the signal to my brain and all I could say was "I'm a, I'm a" I caught them by surprise and ran. I don't think I ever ran that fast in my life. I out ran just about every jock in our school and I lost a shoe in the process of running. I can't tell you how many desert stickers went in to my foot as I ran because I couldn't feel it, but I got away. I kept running and running until my sides hurt and knew I wasn't being followed. Then all at once I realized that these were the school jocks and the freaks that they were going to fight never showed up, we were being mistaken for the group they wanted to fight.

Later that night my friends and I all caught up with each other. I was the only one that managed to go without major body damage that night. Mike lost two teeth and had a broken rib, Steve was missing areas of hair and had a black eye and a big bloody lip. The other two had major bruises and cuts.

The moral: It is alright to run away when you are out numbered or out matched. I am sure glad I did

I will never forget that night. Something good was watching over me and to tell you the truth, it felt like my feet never touched the ground as I was running as if something was flying me along.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   

I'm sorry. Who is that filth to tell you, "You don't belong here?" What did you say his origin was? Last I checked, Americans are allowed to move about freely in ..... America. Tell him to go back to his sad little island if he doesn't like freedom.....

You are a better person than me. There would have been severe repercussions for attacking me on a street somewhere.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   

awww..hugs 4 you

you did well by not trying to fight them...just play it off and get out of there

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
As someone who lives in Scotland and therefor in a relatively gun free society.I feel I have to reply to this thread.

Like others Im so glad you survived your ordeal and think you are very lucky to have escaped as you did. I taught street self defence to females for 4 years, including both sexes who had dissabilities.

Please dont take offence at what i am about to say, but someone has to say it. You didnt do anything right other than ride your luck. You did everything wrong.

You ventured into unknown territory, on your own and on foot.
You ignored that all important alarm bell telling you "oops this is not a good place".
You didnt have a plan that should have been set in motion the second you heard and saw the assailant bearing down on you.
You did not run away !!!
You had no weapon to hand to help you gain the important 5 seconds or 5 metres distance from him. Im not meaning a gun, I mean keys that could have been thrust in his eyes, pepper spray or even a good old fashioned metal comb.

You assumed that he was just firing water at you as if that was important and justification for your non reaction. It wasnt, because for a second or 5 seconds you were totally at his mercy and not in control. Never ever presume an assailant is going to let you live !

You are one very lucky lady to have survived with just a feeling that you could have reacted better. Truth is you didnt react at all.

Please, please get some self defence training and untill you do remember this. It is more than ok to run like the devil from someone who intends harming you and more than ok to use any method possible to make sure you are able to get away.

You only have eight lives left, dont put them at risk by walking unprepared, through areas you dont know, when you are not in the position to protect yourself or ensure a clean get- away.

One last question you should ask yourself is this.....do you think you could have used something to hurt him to make sure you escaped?

I feel for you and sincerely hope you are never in the same situation again but if you are you better have a plan and a way of dealing with it. I hope your realising just how much luck you carried during the ordeal.

Be safe, be aware and be able to hurt to stop being hurt.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Its The ever increasing amount of Fukwit kids, like this that make me wonder what is making people do things like this?

Normal people over in the UK, are asking 'what the is wrong with kids today?"
This kind of thing happens alot, as well as Kids murdering for no reason, carrying guns/knifes, kicking Fathers to death, Burning animals alive for fun..Just look around youtube and you will see that people ARE getting STUPID.

There is something strange going on, it could be the Enumbers, the water supply, TV, i am not sure, but its like watching a Zombie Film, as everyone slowly turns into these Mindless fools.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join