learn more

I was attacked today. I am stunned.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkeybus
This kind of thing happens alot, as well as Kids murdering for no reason, carrying guns/knifes, kicking Fathers to death, Burning animals alive for fun..Just look around youtube and you will see that people ARE getting STUPID.

There is something strange going on, it could be the Enumbers, the water supply, TV, i am not sure, but its like watching a Zombie Film, as everyone slowly turns into these Mindless fools.

Our society has become WAY too liberal (and I dont mean that from a political perspective). Standards are disappearing (what are manners? what is appropriate behavior? who can say what is appropriate without it being offensive to someone else? nice people don't judge others! nice people make excuses instead!). There are a LOT of bad parents, people that will stand up and DEFEND their kids when they get in trouble at school, or in the courts. It is not about material poverty it is about cultural poverty. Everyone is making excuses for the bad behavior of others.

Even in this thread, people are saying "well it was probably a dare" or "it was just a water gun" or "maybe it was caused by poverty". What? An 17 year old does NOT know it is not proper to physically attack a woman on the street for "fun"? The fact that so many rush to make excuses or downplay the incident SHOWS what the problem is.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by monkeybus

'what the is wrong with kids today?"

I think it's getting worse, but the problems have been here for a long time now. About fifteen years ago a 15-year old kid stabbed a woman to death coming out of the supermarket where I worked. She was a schoolteacher and mother of three. It was around dusk, but the parking lot was well lit and quite busy most of the time. The reason he gave for doing it?

"I just wanted to know what it would feel like to kill someone."

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by seejanerun
Well I don't feel any better today as of yet, but I am greatful for the replies. It will probably take a couple of days. [snip]

But this post was about my anger and shame and the fact that I have always been one to say if this happens this is how I will react. It didn't happen like that.

I know how to defend myself, why didn't I do it? I just don't understand.

I hope each day gets easier for you. Remember everyone in this thread is Monday morning quarterbacking, and more of us would do well to heed your message that we don't know how we'll react until we're in the situation.

There's a lot of righteous indignation on your behalf, and "if I were there, I would have taken care of them ..." That's fine, and appropriate. But the practical truth is that you were in their territory and had to play by their rules.

You did defend yourself: you maintained your dignity in a terribly frightening situation. You did not "thank him for attacking you" -- what you said was clearly sarcastic, and he knows that too.

I wonder if many of the posters in this thread actually live in urban areas. It's all well and good to say "we need to take back the streets" but it's awful hard when the streets are all "those people" have.

Originally posted by Sonya610
Even in this thread, people are saying "well it was probably a dare" or "it was just a water gun" or "maybe it was caused by poverty". What? An 17 year old does NOT know it is not proper to physically attack a woman on the street for "fun"? The fact that so many rush to make excuses or downplay the incident SHOWS what the problem is.

Saying that it was a dare, or caused by poverty, is not to excuse the behavior or downplay the incident. It is (at least in my case) to emphasize street smarts over entitlement. We are entitled to walk anywhere we want; that doesn't mean we should.

[edit on 9/23/08 by americandingbat]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

Good points you raised. Yes, alot of sideline comments from people who have hopefully never been in a situation like this. I have been in two very similar, thank God I didnt have to shoot anyone, but I did need to pull my firearm. I have lived in urban areas, but got out as soon as I could, too much insanity and too many random chances for bad to happen.

As for your comment that we can walk anywhere we want, but in some areas its better not to, thats the point myself and a few others in this thread addressed. Why not? Because thats where "those people" are, thats where the crime is? More reason to go there. Im not advocating vigilante justice, but if our communities would rise up against this, we cant erradicate it, but we can certainly make a dent in senseless street crime.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
seejanerun,
Sorry I didn't have time to read this whole thread. I'm sure there are people
defending the jerk who attacked you as a poor underprivileged kid or whatever, and you were in the wrong place\wrong time.

This is my opinion and my opinion only. If anyone disagrees, fine, that's
their right.

I believe in concealed-carry handguns for safety.
You have the right not to be attacked.
You didn't know what the guy's intent was. He could have killed you.
You could have shot him dead as he was bearing down on you.
One less scumbag to prey on innocent people.
The world is now a better place.

Flame on, bleeding hearts.

[edit on 23-9-2008 by lw2525]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Before I start I want to preface by saying this attack was not your fault. You are the victim.
That being said, you need to be smarter and listen to your instincts in order to avoid these types of situations. As soon as you start FEELING like you are in a bad place, guess what, you are in fact in a bad place. Use stereotypes, use profiling, use sweeping generalizations. Had you done that you would have turned around before passing those apartments the first time.
You should be thankful that "kid" only soaked you after knocking you down. Much worse could have followed.
So take today's experience as a lesson: Avoid places your gut tells you are bad.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by lw2525

I'm sure there are people defending the jerk who attacked you as a poor underprivileged kid or whatever...

Well, I happen to be one who empathizes with the plight of those living in poverty. I also know that as a society it is our responsibility to end the conditions which spawn such animals.

On the other hand, if a rabid animal attacks you, you kill it. You don't ask it why it has rabies.

I just think that we need to be doing more, even in our own self interests, to be proactive in ending the social diseases that stem from long-term poverty.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
seejanerun since big "tough" guys on the streets you live have no compassion for ladies, you can always earn their "respect". Anyone trying to hit a defenceless lady needs a good smacking. I believe this person wasn't trained or anything, most back street hooligans usually aren't, so they won't be expecting something like this:

I saw this video and thought it was funny if I would see a lady able of doing this to a "tough" guy.
How to win Bar Fights

Though the vid is a bit extreme but imagine you knew how to do this, I bet you would not feel upset or out of control. Everything that is not under our control upsets us and that is the most uncomfortable part than even the original event of being attacked.

I am glad you're ok and you seem like a person you have control of your self, you could do very well in martial arts.

[edit on 23-9-2008 by spacebot]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Very sorry to hear about your assault. One of my 72 y.o. neighbors was recently assaulted by a meth-head while I was a work. He was a kid known as troublemaker. He split town but there's a warrant out for him now.

You should report the assault. You may have survived unharmed but your bullrushing attacker's next victim may not be so lucky. This guy is mentally disturbed and obviously a physical threat to anyone smaller than yourself. You can easily break ribs,elbows wrists or cause a concussion by knocking someone into hard surfaces.

If use a firearm is not an option you feel comfortable with, I suggest a quarterstaff aka walking stick of some very tough wood like oak, ash or hornbeam. There several videos out on bo-staff defense techniques which will give you good basic instruction. That and some bear-repellent will render 99% of any non firearm equipped assailants virtually helpless. Don't hesitate with the bear repellent either. It's meant to keep your opponent at a safe distance from you. Forget tasers or human type pepper sprays. I've seen the cops taze a guy and pepper spray before with little or no effect. He wasn't even high or drunk at the time just tough.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
I just think that we need to be doing more, even in our own self interests, to be proactive in ending the social diseases that stem from long-term poverty.

I think that is often a "myth" used to make the decent people feel guilty and responsible for the criminal elements. In Atlanta there are many many middle class areas that are "culturally" prone to crime. It has nothing to do with material poverty. They frequently drive nice new SUV's to stores for a smash and grab robbery. We have nice indoor malls that have had EVERY jewelry store shut down because they got robbed so frequently they could not afford to stay in business.

The increasing amount of crime in many areas is because the "demographics" are changing, certain demographic elements are moving out of the cities into the suburbs to "avoid" crime but surprisingly they bring it with them! It's just "keeping it real!" And it never stops. The cultural plague creeps continually in many areas out here; either decent people pick up and move “further out” every few years or they end up living in the middle of it.

I don’t have the money to move, my area has undergone considerable change and I am very much the minority around here these days. Believe me it wears on you, watching your back all the time makes one jaded and less than politically correct. It gets tiresome thinking about it EVERY time you walk through a parking lot with your groceries after dark. If I drive up the road 15 miles its a different world, and it makes a HUGE difference, to go shopping and such and NOT have to watch your back, to NOT worry about the constant threat of crime, to NOT see bullet proof glass all over! There are areas where "white people don't belong" and this area is not that bad yet, but believe me the tension is there and I know in a few years it will be worse. Hopefully I will have moved way out into the country by then. I don't think people understand what that is like until they live in it.

[edit on 24-9-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
im glad you're not hurt or injured more seriously, even though its only a mental injury those can sometimes be worse, i wish you the best recovery.

but initial thoughts are, this couldve been prevented

a female late 40s, with a non menacing physical persona alone in a bad neighborhood

you realized it was a bad neighborhood on the way there

why take that same route back?
the way you make it sound is that you frequent that bank, so id imagine you know the area at least somewhat

i know it shouldnt be this way .... we should be able to walk where we want when we want... but thats not reality

this is a case where unfortunatly as a society we are not as aware of our surroundings as we should be, and sometimes even if we are, we dont make the best decisions

all day everyday for the majority of us we engage in some form of risky behavior

i know alot of things cant be prevented and alot of things are out of our control

i in no way mean this as an attack on you

i just say this all as i hope in the future you will decide to take a different path on the way back next time no matter what the situation is (i dont just mean when you're going to the bank)

and i hope people reading this can realize how easy it is for people to become victimized and hopefully people will just be more conscious to the dangers of society
as horrible as stereotypes are

your story is a stereotype that appeared true in this situation

you were the classic victim stereotype in the classical stereotype bad neighborhood

and i read in the 1st page you didnt report it

well you should

you talk about how one day he will become a criminal

well maybe if u get to him now then he will learn the error in his ways and not go down that path, you know what st it happened on, you know what apts it happened near.... go file a police report, press charges, protect the future

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by seejanerun

One of the guys looked like he was native Hawaiian or from Samoa.

Why did you feel you needed to add in the ethnicity of the youth?

... * ...

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by seejanerun

One of the guys looked like he was native Hawaiian or from Samoa.

I didn't want to make this a black and white issue so to speak. His 2 friends were African American but that isn't what this is about. Maybe I should have left it out. When I made my initial post I was absolutely in shock, the fact the it is even understandable surprises me. I also think it was so that a picture of what happened to me could be understood, this child outweighed me by 100 pounds. He had wild hair, it was like the stuff out of nightmares at first glance.

If I offended anyone with my post I apologize. Jane

... * ...

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

She gave a height/weight/age/physical description of her attacker and she had EVERY RIGHT TO DO SO!

Why do you even dare question her right to describe what happened to her in whatever detail she sees fit!

This is not the mainstream media that only uses words like "teenager" and hides the ugly facts about crime in every way possible. This is ATS and she has EVERY RIGHT to say what she LIKES about the thug that attacked her!

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
What part of Columbus do you live? , I live near Briggs Road/Clime Road (westside)....are you talking about Westland mall or Great Westurn Plaza? its the only ghetto strip malls I know.....

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Just because someone is driving around in a new SUV does not mean that poverty has not already taken its toll by having a detrimental affect on their psychological make up and their place in society. I doubt that the midnight shift at a burger joint is paying the note on that SUV, which leads to jewelry store smash and grabs.

I do agree though, that not all of the criminal element is in direct correlation with their material standing in society. Being no stranger to poverty and "doing whatever it takes" to get by, nothing infuriates me more than to see some kid slingin' bags on the block out of the BMW Mommy and Daddy bought for him. In cases like that, you can only chalk it up to cultural poverty. The parents are working all the time, the kid winds up with no sense of self-worth, and thinks they will find it with street-stripes. Next thing you know, that kid is 25, 30 years old without any real job skills and on his way to prison for the second time, when he suddenly realizes that he screwed up his entire life and there isn't a damn thing he can do about it now except ride that train to the end of the line.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Star for that. I'm so sick of this extreme political correctness anyway. If I get jumped by a black guy, that's what I'm gonna say, instead of trying to mumble that detail at the end of the description as a supposed afterthought like I'm ashamed.

"Well, the person was blah blah blah, oh and he happened to be of African-American descent."

Well I happen to be a German-Irish-Dutch-French-Scottish-Polish-Italian-American dammit!

To the OP, some of those Pacific Islanders can be big dudes!

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
Just because someone is driving around in a new SUV does not mean that poverty has not already taken its toll by having a detrimental affect on their psychological make up and their place in society.

Well if that is the case, if they were traumatized by a culture of material poverty as children and now they have no morals as adults, where does the line get drawn? I mean can that excuse be used 2 generations from now? Their grandparents were traumatized by poverty and those social/psychological effects were passed on and that reason the grandchildren are violent and dishonest?

Actually I do think that would make for a great theory in the future, however many people grow up poor but they STILL have a sense of right and wrong. A heck of a lot of people are the offspring of those that survived the great depression, for some reason that era did NOT turn that generation into thugs.

At some point it comes down to personal responsibility and moral integrity. The U.S. government is not in the business of instilling those values, so people need to do it on their own (or not do it and face the consequences).

[edit on 24-9-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

She didn't do it as race thing it was to let you know his body type and size Hawaiian and Samoans have a very specific body type. Don't make it something that it isn't. Jeeesh

[edit on 24-9-2008 by TexasGunMan]

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join