It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Static Sky's Cipher Game

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I'm working using a few hypothesis, but I'm so stuck that I want to let you all know where I stand. Maybe I can't see the obvious now...

My understanding of it is that each one of those numbers represents simply another letter. Basically, in the original text, each letter would be coded either by another letter, or a number (note that numbers go from 1 to 22, so it works). Hence the "switch": alternately a letter and a number are choosed to code the original text. It is not incompatible with the fact that the number code is based on the first letter code. It could have been done simply on the ordered alphabet instead, that works too.

Assuming that the cipher has to be read without separating the letters & numbers (which is my assumption so far...):
- the sequence Q 4 V is found 3 times;
- also, the 3 times Q is found it is followed by 4.
- the 4 is found 2 other times, not followed or preceded by Q or V
- the V is found 1 other time, not preceded by 4
- most commons other than Q, 4, V: 3* I, 3* M, 3* 17, 2* H, 2* J, 2* R, 2* W, 2* 10

The radio station clue is a total mystery to me, as is the 2344555354294 clue.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Sorry... double post.

[edit on 7-12-2008 by SpookyVince]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
In less than 10 minutes, "Switch" is at 1100 points. It seems some progress is being made by a few players. To help you out a bit, here's another clue....

**Regarding word-play....Another clue to this can be had by listening to REM's album Monster for about 4 minutes. Good luck all.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I cant see the forest because of all the trees!!!!!

Im not sure if im starting to get close with piecing this one together or Im a million miles of track???

but so far the closest I have is this gibberish;

IF YOU DO IT KNOW
WIEQE YOU HFY JNNY
YOU MGY IT WNNDUG
ROLEPLAYU UFMRF

I think I have figured out the first key, but dont think im working the 'switch' or second key properly yet...still banging my head with the 2344555354294

I need to power-up on beer I think and find the other prespective before my head explodes
:w::w::w::w:

[edit on 9/12/2008 by must be a way]

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
"Switch" is at 1200 points. Sorry folks but I'm having an extremely busy day at work so no new clue today. I'll try and think of something for tomorrow. Good luck and cheers.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
"Switch" is at 1300 points in a couple of minutes. Todays clue....

**In regards to Kenneth....Wikipedia. Hope that helps.

Good luck to all and thanks for playing! Be well.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Static will slap me!!!............
It feels like caos all over!!!!!

good night people!!!! good luck....................( only my thoughts nothing else)

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
In a few minutes, "Switch" moves to 1400 points. Todays clue....

***Pertaining to that unintelligible string of numbers I've previously given as a code....what is the sum?

Good luck and thank you all for playing!

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I cant see the obvious!!!!
please someone kick me up the ass!!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I found this quote doing a search!!!!!
It made me laugh!!!

"I wrote that protagonist as a guy who's desperately trying to understand what motivates the younger generation, who has gone to great lengths to try and figure them out, and at the end of the song it's completely #ing bogus. He got nowhere." [3]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by must be a way

What's that from? It's pretty funny. Book or movie?

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Static Sky

i dont know!!!...............just made me chuckle!!!!!!!

:w:

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by must be a way

Duh! I didn't read it right the first time. It sais "song" right in it. I guess it's time for bed. Cheers, all. :w:

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
In about 10 minutes, "Switch" goes to 1500 points. I won't give a clue today and the answer why might become clear anytime now.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   
IF YOU DONT KNOW WHERE YOURE GOING YOU MIGHT WIND UP SOMEPLACE ELSE

OK, this is going to be very hard for me too explain because.. I haven't worked out the keys.

I'll go through the clues that stood out: (just a breif overview)

Favourite radio station and where you can find it, AM or FM?

2344555354294 I was wondering if it was a mgHz radio frequency or the like. Which may lead too a Radio station name for use as a key.

REM's Monster Album for 4:00 mins (I Wiki'd REM, then the Album "monster") found that "Whats the frequency Kenneth" is the first song and it goes for 4:00 mins.) Frequency, being the operative word.

what is the sum of, 2344555354294 = 55

how many numbers/letters are in the cipher? =55

so there is one digit per letter/number in the cipher, so I tried 2344555354294 as pertaining too 2 letters in the first word, 3 letters in the second word and so on.

This is where "Must be a way" enters, He provided;
"IF YOU DO IT KNOW
WIEQE YOU HFY JNNY
YOU MGY IT WNNDUG
ROLEPLAYU UFMRF"

Four of those words fit in with the 2344555254294 theory, so I knew I was on the right track.

"IF.....YOU......KNOW....YOU"
These words made sense and fit in with the 2 letters at the start, three as a second word and "know" as a four letter word, so that fits the sequence etc....

Thanks "Must be a way".

After that it was a matter of filling in the blanks in a way that made sense.
The only extra difficulty that I had was the 9 letter word because there were two possibilities, "somewhere" or "someplace"

The two "e" combinations where taken, 1=e and I=e so that left "someplace" as the nine letter word because there is no "a" anywhere else in the cipher. (the value of hardly any vowels.)

In considering the amount of work that everyone puts into this game (both creator and solver), as I have not provided the keys, would it be inappropriate that I request that I receive half the total points, but the other half continue running until the two keys have been 'uncovered'?"

Cheers, Fox.

[edit on 13/12/08 by fox_3000au]

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   
double post

[edit on 13/12/08 by fox_3000au]

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Whoa! Good job fox!

Somehow I'm glad it's done now XD

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Got it!

The 'frequency clue' made it!

1. Reorder the alphabet by the most frequent letters first, it gives:
ETAOINSHRDLCUMWFGYPBVKJXQZ (there are variants though)
That's the first code.

2. The second code is the position of the coded letter, i.e. E becomes 1, T=2, A=3, etc.

3. Replace alternately the original message letters by the first and second code.

Very nice idea static!

[Edit:]
As fox suggested, maybe the points could be shared? (but then mustbeaway should have his share too)

[edit on 13-12-2008 by SpookyVince]

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Okay, so "Switch" was at 1500 points when solved. That much is official. It does say right in the OP/game rules that points can not be shared. It is the first correct solution posted and I do find Fox's method proves his work. It is acceptable to me. I am very sorry SpookyVince, but I can not change the rules to split points. I hope you understand.

The mods (Asala and MemoryShock, thank you both very much), helped me set the rules for this game (this was mostly MS), and provide the points for the winners (Asala), and ongoing concern resolution (Asala). I must stick to the rules as they are, at this point. I hope nobody's too upset by this. I really do appreciate all the members of this thread and consistantly see terrific effort and skill in the game. And I don't know if you've noticed or not but I've noticed some great advancement in the skill and methodology of our consistant solvers in this thread. Cheers to you all!

As for "Switch". It was "Must be a way" that made me realise that there are variations of the frequency key, due to more than one source the information could be gathered from. This was why the clue, "In regards to Kenneth, Wikipedia." The song clue of course was "What's the frequency, Kenneth." I thought this would put anyone back on track, if they understood the radio frequency or song clue. 'Wikipedia' was where I got my letter frequency key from.

As for the other clues, Fox and Spooky did a great job explaining them. Thank you both very much for that! I like to keep my clues a little vague but also logically deduced, as they're not usefull if they can't be figured out. I try to make this aspect of my codes, as entertaining as the cipher itself. And I feel I too, have grown and improved in this regard. I hope you'll agree.

Anyways fox, your 1500 points should find you shortly. And Spooky, I really do appreciate your efforts in the solution explaination as well. So this time only, I will request a special applause for you. There are absolutely no promises that you'll get it, but I will try, and I'll explain why I think it's worth it. In the future, I will not do this, but clarification of clues or keys or even rules, is always welcome by all players and appreciated.

If "Must be a way" has a cipher ready to go, I invite him to post it anytime now. If he does not have one before my next one is done, then I'll be adding another one very soon. (Perhaps tomorrow as I want him to have a chance to see this and post if he wishes to). Good luck to all, and as always, thank you very much for playing!

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
OK, no worries at all about the points, it just never hit me again about those rules. I must absolutely agree that fox get the points if they can't be shared, as indeed he was the first to obtain the solution.

Thanks a lot for asking the mods for an applause, really appreciated.

I must say that playing this game is fun, even were it free
And once again, once it's solved, all things fall together as an obvious... Amazing afterwards that it couldn't be seen beforehand!! (but that's all the fun in it, heh?
)

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join