It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Static Sky's Cipher Game

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

Welcome to the game, "Whitewave". It's fantastic to see another player join on. Excellent observations too. No doubt you've identified where to begin. Cheers for playing and I wish you well on this one.

I could be wrong but I feel like "Must be a way" may have a trick or two up his sleeve in the creation of the key for *Void*. I've gotten nowhere with it yet but anxiously await the final reveal. Good luck to all!

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   

*** IMPORTANT***

Hi people Im really sorry but I have just found an error within VOID.

3 characters are incorrect!!!!!! Thankfully this error does NOT flow through the rest of the code.
After thorough checking the only affect is to one word, It will also affect any letter counts you may have done (see post by whitewave)

The correct (replacement) letters are shown in red;

RFZAVJXNEFZXOTLFIXPQXNA
ZLBXAHMGCDALVJXOAHXUX
MAISLXZGADEWKETZVBXEG
AHEAOMAIKMWWDJX

Im really sorry people!!!!!!!!! a further clue will be posted later

Good luck

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Thanks for clarifying that for us. Darn! I would have to find a thread that requires some time right before I start 3 consecutive days of 12 hour shifts at work! This is seriously cutting into my sleep time.

Totally worth it. Thanks guys for a great thread.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Hi all,
VOID is now at 1500 points!!!!!!!!!

out of guilt for the error I found Im gonna give a huge clue;

within the code I have used 'padding'

where there would be a space between words I have filled it with another character!

Good luck all!!!

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by must be a way

VERY nicely done, mate! I never really thought of trying that in any of my codes or in trying to solve yours. That is a big clue! Anyone close, yet? Best of luck, all!

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Hi all

Points have just hit 1600!!!

Due to the huge clue yesterday Im not going to post one today, pretty much you should be able to put the already given clues together to find the solution.............(I think??)

Good luck n have fun!

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
My family thinks I'm insane for spending so much time on this over the holiday ;-)

That was a great clue, mustbeaway, it has me pulling my hair out even more! Soooooo close.....yet so far away......

Happy Thanksgiving all

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
happy thanksgiving celtangel!!!!!!

all the info is there!!!! I may give another subtle/subliminal clue ( or it may be obvious and crack it!!! difficult to tell as author :_)) later on when the points roll over...

keep the feedback coming I need to start working on the next puzzle????

need to keep it fun not impossible!!!
goodluck all

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I believe that *Void* is at 1800 points now! It seems 'must be a way' has made a good one here! Anyone getting close, yet? Good luck all. (And great job 'must be a way'!)

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Hi all,
thanks Static for the points update ( sorry something came up that any bloke would give his full attention too!)

so to update the clues;
1) the clue is in the name
2)there is within something added
3)there is padding (characters where word spaces should be)

so 4) the padding consists of one character for each space, the characters although repeated are not the same,the padded characters are not or do not feature elsewhere within the cipher!

good luck

edit: clue 2 is redundant because of the big reveal of clue 3

[edit on 29/11/2008 by must be a way]

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by must be a way

Gaaaaa. For better or worse, at least the clues are proving I'm on the right track. Now that I'm at home I'll have more time to play

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
good luck Celt!!!!!

clues are starting to run out! I dont wanna give it on a plate..........but think about the name!!!

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I originally thought that the "x's" were markers to show where the spaces between words should be but there were too many 9-10 letter words. Removing all the "V's", "O's","I's", and "D's" and using them as space markers looked better but it still doesn't quite fit.

Since your correction only affected 1 word, I figured I was on the right track by separating letters according to discarded "V's" and "X's". Is there additional "padding"? It just seems like there's too many letters that don't really belong.

This WILL translate to something in ENGLISH, won't it? I'd hate to be giving myself an aneurysm for some witty saying in Sanskrit.:w:

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave
Removing all the "V's", "O's","I's", and "D's" and using them as space markers looked better but it still doesn't quite fit.

Is there additional "padding"? It just seems like there's too many letters that don't really belong.

This WILL translate to something in ENGLISH, won't it? I'd hate to be giving myself an aneurysm for some witty saying in Sanskrit.:w:

Excellent work Whitewave, There is no other 'padding' and yes its english!

I have just double checked the code and everything is correct (disclaimer to the very best of my knowledge and ability :-) )

Good luck

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
It's nice to know someone's getting somewhere with *Void*. Great work 'Whitewave'! Somehow, I'd never thought to try looking at V-O-I-D in that way. Looks like your trying some great things and I wouldn't be surprised if you crack it sometime soon!

I can't tell you how different it is being on the outside looking in to a code I don't already know the answer to. This has been a real learning experience for me. I've learned that I'm much better at writing codes, than I am solving them! LOL.

And 'must be a way', you're doing a fantastic job running your cipher! Thanks again for joining this thread. I think the game itself is richer for your participation. Cheers, my friend!

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I believe *Void* hits 2000 points in about 45 minutes, does it not? Wow, 2000 points! That's only the second time a code has hit 2000, if memory serves. Good luck everyone!

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   
JUST BECAUSE YOU EXPECT SOMETHING TO BE THERE IT DOESN'T ALWAYS MEAN THAT IT WIL BE.

BOO-YA

Couple of things: the letter "H" wound up representing itself in the cipher which really threw me off. I'd have had it the first day if not for that. Tricky!

[edit on 1-12-2008 by whitewave]

[edit on 1-12-2008 by whitewave]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Excellent work Whitewave!!!!!!!!!

2000 points coming your way soon.

The name VOID was intended to be a play on words in 2 ways;
1) VOID as in invalid (not part of the code)
2) VOID as in empty space (the spaces)

Im glad you cracked it I was starting to worry that maybe I had made it a bit too hard

I was hoping It may have taken you another day or 2, Im not quite ready to post another yet but hopefully will have one by this evening!
(unless static has one ready to post??)

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Nice job!!

I'm curious though: how did you do it? Explain it, because I don't have it at all....

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I've been kind of explaining it as I go. Since I only had half hour increments of time to work on it, I thought I'd post what work I had already done so that maybe somebody else could crack it. I'll spare you all the shuffling, counting and hairpulling I did before I got to the part where I removed the "V's", "O's", "I's", and "D's".

The word "VOID" was spelled out in the cipher 3 times. I removed all the "voids". I then arranged the letters into blocks of "words" leaving spaces where the removed letters had been.

The group of letters toward the end (AHEA) immediately stood out as the word "THAT" but, since substitution ciphers substitute one letter for another, the letter "H" couldn't stand for itself so I kept coming up with false translations of the cipher.

It finally occured to me to go with my gut instinct. Once I had one word, the rest fell into place.

Example of letter spacing after V,O,I,D's removed:

RFZA JXNEFZX TLF XPQXNA ZLBXAHMGC AL JX AHXUX MA SLXZGA EWKETZ BXEG AHEA MA KMWW JX.

I originally also removed all the "X's" thinking they were word spacers but had to put them back in when the words didn't group as nicely as the final did.

Thanks theremustbeaway. And thanks StaticSky. That was fun!

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join