It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN says eat less meat to curb global warming

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

The more meat we eat, the less animals are left to fart therefore less methane in the atmosphere.

Does that make sense?

Makes sense. Unfortunately that's now how it would happen. It's supply and demand man. If we ate more meat the industry would simply zone more space to increase production.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   

That and growing more vegetables means more fertilizers, space to grow, chemicals being sprayed and still includes transportation and packaging costs.

Don't really see much of a difference either way.

Guess they don't have farmers market nights in the OZ eh?

Half the things you just mentioned don't apply to organic produce.

And packaging and transporation don't apply to local foods.

And none of those apply to farmers markets (typically). Save for space to grow, and a source of natural fertilizers (yeah those come organic too)

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by wingman77

Wingman77, great post and information

You didn't include another really important statistic though:

Chew on this: Antibiotic use in livestock

An estimated 55-70% of the antibiotics used in the United States each year are used as feed additives for chickens, hogs, and beef cattle

More then half! The majority of antibiotics in the US are used for this industry!

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
I guarantee.. If I have to switch to a brocolli and sprout diet.. Global warming will be the least of the environmental problems.

If you think that's bad, try beer & broccoli with a hearty helping of onions & hot peppers. Every time you hang around in a crowd, at least it'll be easy to find you...

reply to post by jackinthebox

It's for those very same reasons (& more) that, overall, I think the UN is full of BS.

Originally posted by wutone
Maybe the UN should go on a real diet, like getting less U.S. taxpayer money.

Finally, someone points out the real key to how governments (including the UN) actually work & is smart enough to "hit the nail of the thumb." BTW, I reserve that particular turn-of-phrase to denote the painfully obvious...

It's the governments that are too expensive for us to continue feeding! Feed Yourselves! Starve the government!

Originally posted by wingman77
The U.N. shouldn't be telling anyone what to do, the U.N. shouldn't even exist, but we should be aware of what our habits are doing as a whole and if it looks as bad as this maybe we should consider some changes.

This is exactly why I emphasize personal responsibility in people...Governments exist only because too many people lack a sense of personal responsibility & have to beg some government to take care of them. Governments feed off of everybody to support those among humanity refuse to be responsible for themselves...And this is the whole reason why governments grow so big & expensive to maintain & why governments have so much power to over-regulate everybody.

The US Founding Forefathers saw government as a "necessary evil" in that there needs to be some form of organization established to build public infrastructure & also aid those caught in natural disasters, so as to help them get back on their own feet again...But governments will always seek to grow out of bounds to the point where even responsibly-minded people can't afford to support it either. The Constitution that they wrote was intended to keep government in-bounds, but it wound up corrupted to the point where the USA wouldn't even be recognizable to those who founded it.

Originally posted by Sweet Paula
The more you know about how cattle/beef (pigs, lambs and chickens) are raised for the commercial market you will want to eat less of it for sure.

This much is true for pretty much everything that's mass-produced for the large consumer-markets...Have you seen what the FDA limits are for "foreign materials" allowed to remain in any kind of canned goods?

If I had enough land to do so, I'd only eat foods I could produce or hunt myself!

Originally posted by jackinthebox
Soylent Green here we come!

Yah, I seen the movie...
Hmmm...I wonder if this is what happens to Gitmo "body-bag releases" & other political dissidents who don't make it out alive of the "injustice" system?

Originally posted by jackinthebox
I Eat Cannibals

Cannibals just love to be visited my church-missionaries...They so rarely have the chance of getting "kosher" food, ya' know!

Originally posted by feydrautha
and dont forget, kids, organic cane sugar still makes you as fat as the regular stuff...
but you'll be organically tubby
so, at least there's that

I'd prefer being "organically tubby" from sugar in my soda rather than being "artificially thin" with aspartame (a neurotoxin: FDA approved, no less) in diet soda.

Originally posted by Sweet Paula
Come on...it is clear that the eating habits of most people (young and adult) contribute to the huge rise in Diabetes, Obesity and other serious health problems. We are the only generation who may have children that will not live longer than we do. What a terrible thought!

Then turn off the TV that advertises entire industries that produce nothing but unhealthy lifestyles. After all, if we have to pay high enough prices for their "goods" that they can afford TV advertising, then we're paying too much as it is...This is not even including the long-term hidden costs for using those goods in the first place.
In the end, it all boils down to personal responsibility for both individual people & the parents still raising their kids.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   
The more meat we eat, the less animals are left to fart therefore less methane in the atmosphere.
Does that make sense?

No it doesn't in this sense.
The more meat we eat.The more meat they make.
They always make much more than we actually need.
They plan years ahead based on previous profit reports.
So one year we might eat heaps of meat.
They clear more forests and breed more meat and damage the environment more.
And in 2 years they have increased production by 80%.
But then the next year we only actually eat 40% more.So half of it goes to waste anyway.And they just write it off for tax purposes.And still make a huge profit.They cant even ship it to Ethiopia to feed dying kids because for tax reasons it has to be wasted.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Ahhh well, doesn't really matter what they do or how it's done I shall be taking no notice and continue eating the sweet sweet meat that I enjoy so much.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Ahhh well, doesn't really matter what they do or how it's done I shall be taking no notice and continue eating the sweet sweet meat that I enjoy so much.

Ok well that's ok if you like heart disease, bowel cancer, diabetes etc etc.
Eat away im not gonna tell you not to hahaha

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Interestinggg

Well, as it is my family is prone to diabetes, heart attacks and strokes so whichever way I look at it I'm stuffed. May as well enjoy life while I can

That and the focus of the topic is that it "Curbs Global Warming". Considering that I believe that GW is natural and not anthropogenic, therefore I believe that eating less meat will make absolutely no difference at all.

EDIT: I could get hit by a bus tomorrow anyways which would make all of this a mute point.

[edit on 8/9/2008 by Kryties]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 03:54 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Spreadthetruth

Thankyou for your well thought out input into this thread. I look forward to hearing more such intelligent and meaningful posts from you in the future

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spreadthetruth
*snip*

You really shouldn't get so emotional over the internet.
Im not telling you what to do just pointing out that its not real.

MOD Note: Removed for Continuity

[edit on 9/8/2008 by semperfortis]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spreadthetruth
*snip*

Were you addressing the cows? The factory farms? Or were you refering to ATS members?

You should probably be more clear

[edit on 9/8/2008 by semperfortis]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Oh hush, you three.

Sometimes these absolutely good for nothing globalist nannying totalitarian scumbags need to be referred to as exactly what they are.

And incase you didn't realise, I was referring to the UN.

[edit on 8-9-2008 by Spreadthetruth]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Ah yes, thanks for the clarification, cuz I was confuseded. Although I am not as anti-UN as a lot of ATS'ers are, I am happy to see this wasn't being targeted on the ATS community

[edit on 8-9-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Spreadthetruth

LOL yeah I realised after I read it about 6 times that's what you meant

I do share your sentiment

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   
timothy 10:11
"meat eaters go to hell. vegan's go to heaven."

it's a personal choice.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by surrender_dorothy

Kryties 15:28

"Thou shalt eat of all the meat until thou hast had thou's fill"

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:25 AM
link   
To begin with, sorry for the caps, I don't get how to make things bold, clicking the bold button doesn't do anything.

I cannot believe the ignorance of some people on here. Firstly the guardian is a newspaper which is very independent so the story won't be some secret government agenda.

Secondly, producing meat requires water, OIL, CROPS. If we ate less meat there would be more OIL. If we ate less meat there would be more CROPS. Why is this? Well simply, crops are grown to feed the meat, the crops have to be transported to the meat. The meat is then transported halfway around the world to be slaughtered because it's often cheaper than doing it in ones own country.

If we ate less meat we'd have more food because we would be eating the crops instead of the animals. Anyone who doesn't understand this needs to think about it again. Imagine this: say one cow requires 100 bushels of wheat to be raised, and 100 bushels could feed 1000 people for a week, but one cow could feed 200 people for a day, which is more efficient?

Thirdly, we are running out of safe drinking water globally. Not just in some poor forgotten African country but globally. Spain which produces the majority of fruit and veg for all of Europe is having major droughts and has had them for years and they are only getting worse.

Fourthly, we all understand why oil is so important recently. It's price went up because there is more demand for it, partially because India and China are developing, but ALSO because they are eating more MEAT.

And finally, but most unfortunately no one "believes" this, oil use causes climate change, as well as cow "farts". And yes we had cows for most of our agricultural existance, but hardly the amount of livestock we have now.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:25 AM
link   
timothy 28:91

"book of kryties is stupid. kryties is the devil."

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Cain brought veggies to the Christian god and God got pissed. Abel brought meat to the Christian god and God was happy.

The Christian god is not vegan apparently, so I don't know how valid the Book of Timothy is

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join