It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN says eat less meat to curb global warming

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sweet Paula
High fructose corn syrup and commercial additives are poison to our bodies and are in almost EVERYTHING!!! I challenge you to read the labels of the foods you buy and do a little research for your own health.

organic cane sugar will make you just as fat and just as diabetic as HFCS or even honey and fruit... organic fruit.

cyanide is natural and organic... does that have anything to do with the fact that it is still poison?

by avoiding carbs (vegetation is a big source of these... ) and eating meat, makes humans slimmer, fat is a myth.

i've never lost more weight in my life than on a high protein and fat diet, with green veg, lots of water and vitamin sup's

all without lifting a finger... check your "fat free!" product nutrition labels, and look for all the extra sugar they pack in!

"gee, i've been fat free for years, how come i'm still fat?"

its the carbs, tubby... sugar is fat free, what happens when you eat lbs of it?

the high protein, low carb diet proves that humans are first, carnivores, omnivores second.

ever see a fat lion?

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Great, another veggie weird-beard:

UN: Improve the Weather by Not Eating Meat

It's reassuring that the UN has established jurisdiction over nutrition and the weather, but animals in the wild continue to emit greenhouse gases with impunity. A United Nations Commission for the Extermination of Flatulating Animals must be convened at once. No doubt Michael Moore will be able to finagle an exception, given his powerful connections in the Democrat Party.

Your tax dollar pays this screwball to tell you what to eat.

Did you know that when Albert Einstein switched to a vegetarian diet, he died a year later?

Say, wasn't Hitler a veggie?

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Ok, so china has just declared organic food deadly, and the hippies want us eating less meat. I think it means that the UN wants to kill us all with carrots!!!

Personally I like to eat the chared flesh of an animal, preferably one that I have killed myself.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mattystuff

The ingredients of a sea bag are:

Oyster, Sea Urchin, Eel, Kelp, Sea Bush, Sea Horse, Sea Creature, See's Candy and other assorted sea paraphernalia all smashed into a shark pouch.

YUM!!!

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
It was just released that we here in Alaska just had our third coldest summer on record.

Eliminate meat protein from the worlds diet, how do you replace it I wonder? How many would starve as a result?

The real story here is how is the UN's view on anything important anyway? The most corrupt political body on the planet earth is giving advice? Follow the money and figure out the real story I say. Gore made millions off carbon credits while he flew around in his personal jet telling us to ride bicycles. Who stands to gain from the vegan agenda?

Since vegetable matter is less nutritious, how many more acres of crops will it take to replace meat? Being raised on farms and ranches I know it once took 5 acres (approximately) per cow and with modern farming that has been reduced greatly. Grain products are very bad for you, so you can't pig out on that to get your calories unless you want diabetes or something.

I have type 2 diabetes, currently under control and for now a non-issue. If I eat grain products and cut back on meat, my blood sugar goes up as does my blood pressure. If I eat only meat and veggies and leave bread and other grain products completely out of my diet, everything goes back to normal.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Since vegetable matter is less nutritious

Erm, what? Which nutrients? Can you elaborate on this?

how many more acres of crops will it take to replace meat? Being raised on farms and ranches I know it once took 5 acres (approximately) per cow and with modern farming that has been reduced greatly

Yeah and thats the problem man. All these health concerns people talk about are a result of this "reduction in space", aka factory farms.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Finn1916
Ok, so china has just declared organic food deadly, and the hippies want us eating less meat. I think it means that the UN wants to kill us all with carrots!!!

Yeah well this veggie-hippie is a competitive athlete of almost 6 years, and I am ticking fine dwarf

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
My problem with vegetarians is that, generalizing, they seem to be militant in their views. I like meat. I know exactly what happens to meat in the field or feed lot, in the slaughterhouse, and in the processing plant. I've seen "the worst" and will still chomp down on a bloody rare steak, hamburger, hot dogs, pork, chicken, you name it. In my mind it is a non-factor.

I understand that not everyone has that same primal instinct and that we've got people who won't eat meat themselves. My problem is they don't just keep it to themselves. I have never in my life seen anyone walk into a restaurant, stroll up to someone eating a salad, and belittle them. I have, however, had unsolicited, very annoying responses to me eating meat products from activist vegetarians.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Well that is a problem with vegetarians and not vegetarianism, but yeah I understand what you are saying.

I personally see that more from the vegan end, and not so much from the vegetarian end.

Honestly I have seen the militant attitude from both sides, meat-eaters not excluded.

Since I became a vegetarian roughly 6 years ago, I cannot even begin to count how many times a meat-eater brought up my vegetarian diet in a bad light, completely unprovoked by me. I go to a restaurant with a group of people, they hear me order a vegetarian dish, and I can always count on at least one of them cracking some hippie peta joke... or even become pro-meat industry activists

The militant attitude is definetly on both sides.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

How do you get your protein for muscle mass? Large quantities of soy? When you are training how do you get your caloric intake? Lots of high carb grain products?

Olympic athletes eat huge quantities of calories when they train do they not? Is it possible to get them on veggies only without the destructive carbs from grains? I learned my lesson on those and so will others as they get older. Power down that pasta and pay with years off your life in the end.

Weight lifters are fit but they die far younger than others and so do some athletes. Its not nice to mess with mother nature who made us all to be hunter gatherers. A natural diet does not include grains as our teeth are not even the right kind to eat them unless we grind and cook them into mush or bread and pasta. Then you flood your body with BAD carbs. Sure you can get buff but at what price?

I could pick up two hundred pounds and run with it when younger and crack walnuts with my biceps, but I'm paying now for all those carbs. Since my blood sugar and blood pressure go back to normal on a high protein (meat) low carb (veggies) diet, where am I going wrong?

Also, soy products taste bad
You are welcome to my share

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Before I write a real reply to your post, I will say this real quick:

I am not saying meat in of itself doesn't have nutritional merit, because it does, obviously.

It's not my stance meat-eaters shouldn't eat meat. It's my stance that meat-eaters should eat organic free-range meat. So to answer your question of 'where am I going wrong' I would say, depends on where you buy your meat

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Eliminate meat protein from the worlds diet, how do you replace it I wonder? How many would starve as a result?

Protein is protein, and you can get it from many plant sources in abundance. They even make vegan protein powder for bodybuilders that has the same amount of protein per ounce as whey (milk) protein powder.

This guy here is a natural (no steroids) vegan body builder, he doesn't look scrawny to me.

Alexander Dargatz

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I'm in Alaska. I eat lots of Moose, Salmon and Halibut mixed with some beef and chicken.

As I understand it, it just does not get more nutritious or better than Moose and Salmon in your diet. Beyond what I've mentioned I order a tenderloin of Elk now and then but it is expensive. We have no Elk up here but I got used to it when I lived in Idaho and hunted Elk and Deer. Elk is my favorite meat of them all. It is even better than Beef IMO.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by wingman77

Could he do that without unnatural supplements or masses of carbs? How are they better than meat?

I've browsed through health food stores and one thing I found on the labels that troubled me is all the carbs and sugar. They are very creative in hiding them with confusing names, but that does not change the fact they turn to sugar when digested. Not to mention the incredible prices!

Since our life expectancy goes up every generation, the things found in meat can't be as bad as they are made out to be. Stat's say otherwise.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
Well this should really scare everyone...

I Eat Cannibals

cannibalism FTW. The Washingtonians have it right!

but seriously I only eat meat a few times a week and its almost always of the seafood variety

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Read this six times, think about it for a minute, and read it again:

You are all missing the point.

1 Pound of beef requires 14-16 pounds of grain and about 5200 gallons of water.

Average water requirement, x gallons:

2.5 acres of land can support, x pounds:

Basically, meat DOES increase pollution, regardless of the huge amounts of methane they emit. The resources they use, land, water, and grain, would be enough to feed everyone on this planet and then some, but fat sedentary westerners are too stuck in their ways to realize that beef is probably the most ludicrous food source ever conceived.

I think of beef as a decadent meat; a sign of a dead culture.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Considering how much of an impact meat farming has on greenhouse gas emission estimates, I see this as a good idea for everyone involved - except for the meat producers. Less demand, less production, less pollution. To tell the truth, this "helpful advice" of giving up meat one day a week isn't even necessary. If people would monitor what they eat more carefully and learn how to proportion their meals into healthy diets you'd have a much greater reduction in the demand for meat. I guess it's much easier for people to remember one "no meat day" than a shift towards a healthy diet.

Think of it like this as well - better to save money and eat healthier now than have some crackpot politician cook up some kind of "Meat Carbon Tax" further down the road.

Eventually I see us phasing out traditional meat farming by and large to be replaced with lab-grown swaths of sheet meat (shmeat). Until the taste of shmeat starts rivaling that of farm-raised meat, we'll probably see mixtures - like 50/50, 75/25 mixtures of meats to produce a more authentic taste - and then eventually move to just pure shmeat production and conventional farming will be reduced to specialty order or gourmet affairs.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
jackinthebox, you are correct. From the article referenced:

Pachauri ... said diet change was important because of the huge greenhouse gas emissions and other environmental problems - including habitat destruction - associated with rearing cattle and other animals. It was relatively easy to change eating habits compared to changing means of transport, he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Source: www.guardian.co.uk...

Apparently, knowledge is not a requirement for the position. Apparently wisdom is a detriment. Meat production will not immediately decrease should people stop eating meat. Instead, the price would drop and that would raise the amount of meat consumed, which would in turn increase the amount of animals grown, which would increase the cost of meat, drive down the demand... in short, it would create a bi-polar meat market that would range from cheap to inordinately expensive.

All this, to reduce methane production? Methane is not a long-lived molecule, breaking down in the earth's atmosphere to produce water and CO2. Of course, someone is bound to argue that even the CO2 is deadly, but considering the vast herds of buffalo that roamed the plains way back when, I don't think we are pushing the ability of the earth to handle cow burps and the resulting CO2.

Less apparent though, is the possibility that both are abundant in this report, if the true agendas are shown.

This is nothing more than a two-pronged propaganda attack: firstly, it tries to push a favorite agenda, namely vegetarianism. Secondly, it keeps the concept of Global Warming fresh in the minds of the populace, ready and waiting for the next sensationalized article about some glacier disintegrating.

The true agenda is control over oil (including higher prices through restrictions and carbon credits), removal of meat from the diet of the common people*, profits from newer energy sources artificially inflated by over-regulation, and overall population control through global catastrophic scare campaigns.

*It should be noted here that meat protein is now commonly assumed to be the major reason for initial development of human brain capacity. That brain capacity allows individuals to think for themselves. What better way to control the masses than to prevent the consumption of that protein? Check out the feeding habits of the wealthy; it is a safe bet to assume they will be able to continue with a diet high in meat proteins.

TheRedneck
(due to a computer malfunction, this post was created yesterday afternoon.)

[edit on 8-9-2008 by TheRedneck]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

idiot it would greatly combat g w how:animals eat 50% of all food made wordwide.1 cow drinks 3200 gallons of water be4 its slaughtered you do the math
idiot read up on it

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by iceofspades

1 Pound of beef requires 14-16 pounds of grain and about 5200 gallons of water.

Yes, it does require more grain than it produces meat. No argument there.

But it uses up no water. Any water needed does not disappear. It is returned to the water cycle. There is just as much water now as there has ever been. This argument is fallacious.

Water is a very stable molecule which does not disappear when it is 'used'. Even if it is split into hydrogen and oxygen, those elements tend to recombine into water again. There is no water shortage, never has been, and never will be (short of some sort of astronomical catastrophe that either freezes or evaporates our water into space... and should that happen, I doubt cow-burps will be our main concern
)

Just try to drain the oceans... try to stop the rain... did I mention that burning fossil fuels produces more water?

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join