It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN says eat less meat to curb global warming

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by paperplanes
I'm actually quite shocked by the display of ignorance in this thread. I just assumed it was common knowledge that meat processing produces massive quantities of pollution, not to mention the grain required to feed the animals. Despite knowing this, I eat my fair share of meat. Yes, it's a detrimental habit, and yes, I have chosen not to abolish it. I am a terrible, terrible person.

I even did you all a favor. Here is one of the thousands of links available for information on the subject: www.news.cornell.edu...

Seriously, I cannot believe this is news to any of you. For shame! But the fact that you're being snarky in your condemnation of the news makes it hilarious, my friends. Hilaaarrrrrious.

same here. i also thought it was common knowledge and are alittle suprised by peoples ignorance on the subject.

i havent eaten beef for about a year now for this very reason.

you cant call this bullsh... without knowledge of the facts.
not all things in life have an arterial motive.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   
When it comes to the methane production of livestock (domestic and wild), look to cows, camels, bison, and the like to garner about 18% of the methane emissions around the globe.
Does that mean that the other 82% is human fault? Not at all. Termites produce in the range of 20 million metric tons of the stuff as well each year, or about 20% as much as cattle.
Drop you friendly neighborhood pork belly in there and you end up with another approximate 12 million metric tons of the gas.

Sure processing plants create carbon emissions as well, but there is yet another small percentage when compared to all of the factories and other production environments running around the globe.

The problem as I see it began a long time ago and continues today. Plants, such as trees, grasses and flowers, all convert carbon dioxide to oxygen. With the ever expanding clear cutting of land for commercial and residential growth, we take away the very thing that is the world's best defense against accelerated global warming.

I use the term accelerated because GW is a natural phenom that happens routinely on this planet. Heat waves and ice ages have been a part of the constant rebuilding process since the beginning. Earth is a resiliant mother who washes herself clean time and time again. If we dont succeed in destroying our own selves in the near future, you can count on our very world we love to do a measure of it for us as part of her own vaccination process.

Try as we might to change the planet, she is constant and cyclical. The processes might be slowed, but they will never cease. Mother Earth will always bend her own will over any that populate her.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

it's plenty valid, i can assure you.

seriously though if we all went veggie than everybody would have food, so i'm told.
as i hear it, 70% of worldwide farmland is dedicated to raising and feeding livestock.

if we stop farming livestock, scientists/nutritionists can inform us on the best way to sustain our bodies needs through a vegan diet.

hold hands and sing:

it can be done.
we are the one.
we all live under the same sun.

it can be done.
we are the one.
we all live under the same sun.

(repeat)

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Well, if eating meat sends you to hell then I have and plan on damning myself many many many many many 10^200 times over.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Wow thats the most retarded thing I've heard yet, eatting less mean, you gotta be kidding me, I need more meat, duh, as if little salads are gonna turn me into Arnold Schwarzenegger jeeze!!!

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Spock Shock

"You can't make friends with salad! You can't make friends with salad! You can't make friends with salad! You can't make friends with salad!"

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Well...JohnnyQuest says do what makes you happy! If you like eating meat, eat meat every darn day of the week. A rib isn't going to heat the Earth up any more than the two inches of gas around my butt, and no one wants to be right there anyways...except that girl I hung out with this weekend.

More useless crap...

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Shrukin89

We are currently experiencing global cooling and will for quite some time, should we all run out now and buy SUVs?

The UN needs to be disbanded.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
One meat free day per week? Hell, they'll be lucky to get one meat free meal per week from me. Honestly, even if I didn't believe man caused global warming is bullcrap, I wouldn't alter my personal eating habits over it.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
weird..im red meat free all day everyday!! haha

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Let's be honest here, you couldn't look as good as me without eating meat. Maybe it would stop global warming, but who would want to live in a world without this beefcake? FORGET ABOUT IT! Im glad we're all in agreement here.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I can see how eatting less meat will help with the global food supply.

But I don't see how eatting less meat will help with global warming.

It's a natural cycle.
Solar activities have a lot to do with it as well.

This has to be some political thing against the US.
We are talking about the UN afterall.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
It's sad that people actually believe this bullcrap

IPCC gives us nothing but fabricated lies and shuns the scientists who dare speak against them and bring their fraud on manmade global warming in the open.

Carbon Tax Credits ? Yeah like paying money to the government is going to affect the climate. Biggest fraud of the century, yet we suck it up and go along with it

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
This will be said a bagillion times, but it is true. I have canines to tear flesh, sweet awesome tasty flesh. If I was meant to eat only vgetables, then my canines would have lost our canines by now due to evolution.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Hey MattyStuff, are you as good looking as I think you are? You talkin' about eating all that meat is getting me excited! What is the best food on Earth?

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Ahhhhhh yes Johnnyquest, I love meat too!!! That said, the best food on earth is without a shadow of a doubt...... flan cakes.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
While everyone is adjusting their diet to accommodate the UN's recommendations, how will they address the requirement for substantial new tracks of farmland to replace the dietary protein we gave up?

(Forget the fisheries, they don't look very promising.)

Answer anyone?

[edit on 8-9-2008 by loam]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mattystuff

Flan cakes!!! Seems the world had lost their respect of meats and flan cakes. Hmmm, you ever tried sea bags???

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Sea bags!!? Might that be a replacement source of protein? What the heck is a sea bag? Tell us, we ALL wanna know....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join