It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mythbusters to Tackle Moon Hoax

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by re22666

ok. i am reading it. if there was no gravity on the moon, the dust would just "float" off into space wouldnt it? either you mispoke or some words are invisible here. the moon is moving isnt it? there is your potential energy right there. of course by now though all the dust would surely have been shaken off and we would know nothing of dust on the moon.

Correct.. I think there was a missing word in there.. the moon has gravity. I gave up arguing this.. The people who support the moon hoax theory, aren't going to change their minds despite the scientific evidence, or the what the mythbusters say. BTW - I think this episode comes on tomorrow night.

[edit on 26-8-2008 by mapsurfer_]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mapsurfer_
Correct.. I think there was a missing word in there.. the moon has gravity. I gave up arguing this.. The people who support the moon hoax theory, aren't going to change their minds despite the scientific evidence, or the what the mythbusters say. BTW - I think this episode comes on tomorrow night.

Of course the moon has gravity. Thats not even the issue and never was. Nor does the amount of gravity it has matter either.

It's the overall ARC of the dust being kicked up that matters. The arc should be at a constant degree from start to finish. It should be an almost perfect arc, because the only factor is the gravity. If it leaves at a 45 degree angle, it should land at the same 45 degree angle unless there is another force in the equation that stops it.

On earth, that force is the wind/atmosphere. So when the dust is kicked up, it goes up, hits the particles in the atmosphere and then comes down at a steeper angle. If you get an object with enough mass and that is aerodynamic to where the atmosphere doesn't affect it, then you will see an almost perfect arc. When the particles do not do this, such as with dust being kicked up, you see it go up in the air, and the fall down at a steeper angle. Such as a rooster tail.

So, if there isn't an atmosphere to interfere with the dust being thrown up, we should see an arc that is the same from start to finish. But we don't. We see dust which flys up, interacts with an atmosphere and falls back down to the ground at a steeper arc.

This leaves 2 basic conclusions from that video. Either it was taped on earth where there is an atmosphere, or the moon itself has some kind of an atmosphere.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

Uh.. I was replying to what someone said. I am not going to sit here and debate how moon dust flies, as it of little consequence of quite frankly I dont know how dirt should fly on the moon. The point was to offer my opinion of the moon landing hoax theory, and since we are in agreement on that, I don't see any point in getting too far off topic. Maybe you can start another thread on the finer details of your own theory. The Mythbuster episode will be on tomorrow night (Aug 27th) on Discovery, I think at 9pm.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Think for a moment,

How many astronauts have said they have seen UFO's? A few...

How many astronauts said we faked the moon landing? None.

I think thats all I need to point out, we landed on the moon

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   

i am rather confused as to why i keep seeing people say things like "you CT's are all stupid, you think there was no gravity on the moon and ...." i have never read one thing about the moon landing being a hoax that included the idea that there is no gravity on the moon. whether you believe we went to the moon or not, that is just plain stupid and i doubt anyone that has reasonable intellect and good reason to believe we hoaxed it, would go on to claim that there was no gravity on the moon in their arguement. i have to ask, do you hear that often?

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

the "rooster tails" has been covered but apparently believers of the story do not see them. i do not know why, i have several dvds that clearly show an atmosphere in the moon rover footage but i guess it is one of those things that you can only see if you...well...look.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cyprex
Think for a moment,

How many astronauts have said they have seen UFO's? A few...

How many astronauts said we faked the moon landing? None.

I think thats all I need to point out, we landed on the moon

could you please explain how that proves anything. you have heard of liars right? you have heard of the incredible ability of the government to keep people quiet havent you? you have seen 7 astronauts outright refuse to say under penalty of law that they went to the moon right?

how many people said to their kids that there was a santa claus

i think thats all i need to pint out, there is a santa claus

cuz people said so?

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azrael75

i am rather confused as to why i keep seeing people say things like "you CT's are all stupid, you think there was no gravity on the moon and ...." i have never read one thing about the moon landing being a hoax that included the idea that there is no gravity on the moon. whether you believe we went to the moon or not, that is just plain stupid and i doubt anyone that has reasonable intellect and good reason to believe we hoaxed it, would go on to claim that there was no gravity on the moon in their arguement. i have to ask, do you hear that often?

You quoted me, so I will respond... I never said there was no gravity on the moon. I never said anyone was stupid... I disagree with badmedia's take on rooster tail argument, but neither of us have been there so we don't really know. I just see an overwhelming amount of scientific evidence that NASA did put 6 missions on the moon. Believe it, or not.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   

You quoted me, so I will respond... I never said there was no gravity on the moon. I never said anyone was stupid... I disagree with badmedia's take on rooster tail argument, but neither of us have been there so we don't really know. I just see an overwhelming amount of scientific evidence that NASA did put 6 missions on the moon. Believe it, or not.

i know you did not say there was no gravity. you said there WAS, as if it needed to be stated to correct someone. so i was curious if you really hear people claiming there was no gravity on the moon.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   

i know you did not say there was no gravity. you said there WAS, as if it needed to be stated to correct someone. so i was curious if you really hear people claiming there was no gravity on the moon.

I was correcting somebody who added some text into my original quote. Basically it was an issue of a member not quoting correctly, and the mistake
carried on later into the thread. Has nothing to do with the topic, and I am not sure how I ended up being trollbait.

There was some post from the Bad Astronomy dude (dont recall his name) who claimed to be a technical advisor for Mythbusters.. says that among other tests, he believes they did a feather/hammer test on the gravity issue, although he admits he does not know what content actually made it into the show. Should be a pretty interesting.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by mapsurfer_

see, i knew they were going to do stupid crap that proves nothing either way. i always felt that no matter what, hoax or not, im watching a guy on tv drop two things that look like a feather and a hammer fall at the same time. but then i also some really cool stuff on bewitched and that was on tv too so... besides, if they can actually pull that off, then it just proves that they found a vaccum to get in? wow. this is a sad day for mythbusters in my opininion, but its jsut my opinion.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
well it seems that mythbusters did a good job.. i did not personally see the show but what i have read so far it would seem we were to the moon.. this of coarse makes me happy.. my gut feelings were correct after all.. i would have been very dissapointed to find out it was a hoax..

well done mythbusters..

daz

ps thanks all for your great crontributions to this thread..

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Trying to be a good skeptic. No preconceived notions.

The 'busters did not prove the landings were not faked. They demonstrated that, using their methods, they were unable to prove that certain photographs had been faked. At best they showed that it would have been very difficult the fake the things claimed to have been faked.

I feel so dirty. I need a shower.

It is up to the hoax supporters to prove there was a hoax. The supporters need to duplicate the hoax. The 'busters made several attempts to do so and failed.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by Phage]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by daz__

There is some really interesting and incredible evidence that would lead one to believe we never made it to the moon, because we couldn't. From everything I have read here, the mythbusters did not tackle any of it. They went over the same old tired lame arguments that serious skeptics of the moon missions do not even bother with. it is sad. I know that they tend to make mistakes or oversimplify, or just even leave out various variables because they just cannot get that 'real.' but generally the show never attacks anyone's strongly held beliefs. there are people that take this very seriously for the vast amounts of tax dollars funneled into "lying to the American public." I mean, stick to shooting fish in a barrel and water skiing behind a cruise ship, or even shark punching. that stuff is entertaining and fun, but this just shows there complete lack of genuine curiosity into the subject and that they did as the producers told them without really getting into the subject. They should have left this one alone.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
again thanks all and i see all your points but i have a link to a Universe Today article about the buster story.. they seem to believe and also see that there will always be the sceptic but they post a picture of the Lunar Lander from Appollo 11.. truly stunning image if you care to look at it..

It seems fitting that today's NASA "Image of the Day" is this wonderful image of the lunar lander from the Apollo 11 mission, the Eagle, on its way to land on the moon. Really, truthfully, can anyone really believe that a spectacular image like this can be fake? After last night's "Mythbusters" show about the Apollo Moon Landing Hoax Myth, I'm cautiously hopeful that at least some people who believe(d) in this myth had their eyes opened and minds changed. Alas, there will always be folks out there who for some reason are set on not believing scientists, engineers or the government and won't subscribe to any type of proof, be it scientific or television-ific. Perhaps the upcoming Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter mission will be able to take hi-resolution images of one of the Apollo sites.

anyway i'll include the link here for you scrutiny..

peace

daz__

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by daz__

of course. how could anyone not congratulate mythbusters on successfully busting myths that no real skeptic would care about anyway. the set out to bust myths and they did. bravo, they should be commended on a job well done. now if they had tackled the real evidence, that would be really special.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   

reply to post by daz__

of course. how could anyone not congratulate mythbusters on successfully busting myths that no real skeptic would care about anyway. the set out to bust myths and they did. bravo, they should be commended on a job well done. now if they had tackled the real evidence, that would be really special.

What, please, is the real evidence?

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
The "rooster tail" of the boat.. that trajectory looks like an ARC to me. I have seen the rover rooster tail before and yes it look peculiar or different. Down here in the south, we race ATVs... so I know how dirt flies. Do you by chance have the URL/link to the footage you are referring too? Any simulator you have would need to be able to tweek gravity and atmosphere to yield anything conclusive along these lines. If you have a link, please post it. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
The arc of the rooster tail is a matter of physics. I do believe we have been to the moon before, that for me is not in question. I merely have questions about the validity of the videos.

But if the rover footage is in fact real, then it means the moon has a bit of an atmosphere.

Haven't seen the myth busters episode yet, which ones did they debunk? I know some of the claims are easily debunkable, I've seen them on badastronomy. Was the episode basically a repeat of the website?

[edit on 29-8-2008 by badmedia]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
let me just get this straight..

they want to prove that the moon landing wasn't staged, by staging a moon landing?

What part of this even starts to make sense?

I ABHOR mythbusters with a passion, ever since they did the episode on RFID chips, and that chick got one implanted - and they were all smiling and laughing like it was some cool new trend.

I wanted to jump through the TV and stab them all on the spot.

I've calmed down since...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join