It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mythbusters to Tackle Moon Hoax

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Found this in my feeds this morning

On Wednesday August 27th, at 9 p.m. ET/PT, Mythbusters will take on one of the biggest myths ever, that the Apollo Moon landings were faked.

Adam and Jamie will tackle the photos and the claim that they were shot in a studio as well as look at claims that the video footage of the astronauts 'hopping' around the moon were created by simply slowing down footage shot on Earth. Grant, Tori, and Kari will take on how the footprint could be so defined and how the flag could flutter in a such dry, vacuum world. Finally Adam and Jamie will travel to New Mexico to see if they can see catch a reflection off one of the three laser reflectors left on the moon at the Apollo landing sites by the astronauts.

Since 2001, when FOX aired a television show called, "Conspiracy Theory: Did We Land on the Moon?" the myth that the Apollo Moon landings were faked has become part of the cultural fabric. As an indicator of the sagging level of scientific literacy in the United States, it is akin to the efforts to teach creationism alongside evolution. BadAstronomy.com has a point-by-point rebuttal of the arguments from the Fox program, but since most of the 300 million Americans don't read Phil Plait's blog, the Mythbusters' program is a welcome champion of scientific inquiry.

source

Who knows but maybe we may finally get some definitive answers but alas in my opinion the show may just end with just as many unanswered questions and we get left in an even darker limbo..

peace

daz__

[edit on 21/8/2008 by daz__]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Cool

ive seen this program a few times and i think its quite good

and yes hopefully we wont just get more questions hopefully we would actually get some answers but dont count.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Just imagine for a minute that they do actually prove that the moon landings were hoaxed?
Do you think that show would actually be aired?
I somehow doubt it personally-but i'm one of those people who believe the first moonshot was faked, in order to beat the russians, but that others may not have been.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Even if they do prove it, people wont believe it until NASA says so.

The NASA acceptance is so deeply buried into the hearts of most Americans that nothing will ever challenge what they say.

Personally I would rate the honesty of the military agency NASA right up there with Donald Duck and Jack the Ripper.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Im not so sure i think we did go to the moon but i think the videos and pics were faked because they didnt have a clue what was going to happen and if something did happen like for instance a crash it wouldve been on licve t.v and they would ve been responsible plus imagine showing people dying on live television in 1969 so i think we went there but the vids and pics were fake whadda you guys think am i just talking @$% or am i making a bit of sense

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
i too think the same guys.
i do believe the pictures we have seen so far are fake but in my heart i do believe they have been to the moon

daz__

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I have no doubt we went there, but the astronauts are not able to tell us what they really saw, and the videos are filmed in a studio.

Neil Armstrong about the layers of truth:

[edit on 21-8-2008 by Copernicus]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I like to watch a bit of myth busters.
But sometimes I think they are wrong about somethings.
Also they will be testing this myth purely from orders from the Government to the owner of there production company.
To prove that they did go to the moon.As a propaganda exercise.
So anyone who thinks it bares anything on reality should think again.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Moon landing = 100% real.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by the way
Just imagine for a minute that they do actually prove that the moon landings were hoaxed?
Do you think that show would actually be aired?
I somehow doubt it personally-but i'm one of those people who believe the first moonshot was faked, in order to beat the russians, but that others may not have been.

They cannot prove the landings were hoaxed any more than anyone else has proved it (not at all, nor by anyone). The best they can do in that regard would be to show that the landings could have been faked based on the claims which they are going to experiment with. "Proof of" and "could have" are not the same thing.

My feeling is they will do a good job of busting the claim. At most they might come up with a conclusion of "plausible". Would they air it with that result? Oh yeah!

[edit on 21-8-2008 by Phage]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
bunk hotdog... Catastrophe has been broadcast live from cape Canaveral before. Remember seeing the shuttle blow apart?

I think ya just posted some transcript thought to be Neil Armstrong, and now you here saying he was never there. You cannot possibly think both ways.

I dont thing reasoning stated to be any sort of argument against NASA landing on the moon. You know, its one thing to think they did not go to the moon but... If NASA *did* fake it they would probably just keep it simple and release a few photos, and that would be it. Truth is, they did ALOT more science than that and their is tons of data to prove it. And what about the rover? Do ya think NASA just spent millions on that just for a hoax, or entertainment value? My uncle worked for NASA/Marshall in Huntsville, AL and was one of the engineers who built the rover back in the day. If it were all a hoax, why would they spend millions/billions on mil spec equipment that would never be required to fool the public. Those things are real, not imitation plastic like Hollywood. The extra equipment and science that NASA did, would not be a requirement to pull off a hoax.

Also.. these ppl sitting here analyzing moon pics from apollo saying "Oh a moon base", "Oh a dome", "Oh alien artifact".. if they don't believe apollo was ever there, then why even bother to look at the pics.

Not sure why it's so hard for ppl to believe we have been there, done that.. Several times even. Especially, when there is credible science to back it up. Well, yeah lets just see what the mythbusters have to say about it. Should be good.

Anyways, Good post.. thanks.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Do they really want to prove it? Hire a russian or japanese rocket to take a satellite into the Van Allen belts, and measure the radiation there.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
What does the Van Allen belt have to do with it? There is a space station orbiting the planet... Travelling at 17000 miles per hour... all over the Van Allen Belt. If the radiation were that bad, we would not be able to sustain people in orbit for 6 months duration. Inside that space station are 2 Russian Cosmonauts and 1 US Astronaut. Think that is fake too? If it is, it would be an international hoax... and a damn good one... cause all anyone has to do is look at NASA's tracker and spot the ISS orbiting 200 miles above the planet. Tune into the NASA channel.. Watch them do their science for hours on end.

Don't believe these ppl trying to discredit what mankind has already proven. They are just trying to sell a book, or a ticket to a seminar.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by billyjoinedat2k8

My thoughts exactly,i think we did go to the moon but alot of pics,video's and audio were done before hand to escape any embarassing slip up's.
Could you imagine if something went wrong live on national tv..

back on topic

I like mythbusters but i think it will not really give us the answers we want and like someone said..would they air it if something new was reaveled??

[edit on 21-8-2008 by rhynouk]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Unfortunately mythbusters is very innaccurrate. They dont actually test things, they just run a few expiriments. The one they lost me on was the dropping the penny off the empire state building.

They concluded it wouldnt do the damage people think it would because they fired a penny out of an airgun. They were convinced that this proved the penny wouldnt do too much damage, and never even mentioned freefall speeds, terminal velocity etc.

They wont "prove" anything.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I have been on the fence about this topic for quite sometime. I would think something might be fake, and then I would see something that "debunked" it.

But about a month ago I was watching some footage, especially with the rover. And I am pretty sure some of that footage is fake. In 1 video the astronaut falls down, and it does look like a cable is picking him up. And the rover leaving rooster tails that look like they are falling in the same arc as gravity on earth, but at a slower rate. When I do believe that it should take longer to fall, but the arc would also be much different. As the dirt seems to be hitting some type of atmosphere.

So I guess I'm not all that original in my thinking afterall. I do believe we've been to the moon, but I don't believe all the footage is real.

I think the mirrors on the moon used for measuring distance and such are a good indication that we've been there.

I think the show will come back saying it's plausable.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by badmedia]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

The moon's gravity is one-sixth that of the Earth's. Some people thing there is no gravity on the moon which is false. If there were no gravity, moon dust would float off into space. You will also see astronauts shuffling on their tip toes which is a pretty good indication their weight was significantly less on the moon. (despite the heavy suit) ; a man who weighs 180 lbs on Earth weighs only 30 lb on the Moon. You may have thought there were wires, but fact is.. he is significantly lighter. Make sense?

And those Rover rooster tails have a strange arc for the very same reason... this debris is super light-weight, but it will still fall back to the surface but at a slower rate than on earth.

If you are on the fence about this topic, take a few minute and research the real science.. There is tons of it. We know a wealth of information about the moon because why??? we have been there and done that... 6 times. If you believe the lunar exploration was a hoax, I would suggest you research this subject in detail before you supporting the hoax theory. Start with the Lunar Surface Journal and then check out the MOON and lastly NON-FAKED MOON LANDINGS

There is way too much evidence that we did visit the moon. I am not sure why it is so hard for people to believe that, but it is fact and there is nothing at all supporting the hoax theory. I sure hate for people to believe our lunar missions were a hoax, and I don't think we should propagate such nonsense. There is way to much science to back up these facts.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
There is no way Discovery would air it if they proved the moon landing was a hoax. this is the same channel that pulled "Conspiracy of Silence" and is now getting ready to air it second special on the heroes of flight 93. so they seem pretty set on pushing the government agenda.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mapsurfer_

And those Rover rooster tails have a strange arc for the very same reason... this debris is super light-weight, but it will still fall back to the surface but at a slower rate than on earth.

there is no atmosphere on the moon. why would the dust fall any more slowly than it went up?

and since when does 1/6th gravity allow you to shift your back off the ground before your feet push off the moon to support you? seems like it might take wires for that, but that is just speculation.

the rooster tails. please explain the science behind those. the science that would explain why they hit a wall of "something" and stop, spread, then slowly settle. what science explains that in no atmosphere?

[edit on 8/21/2008 by re22666]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Can't knock 'em, since their show my toast doesn't always land butter side down. If they can prove it, it's proven.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join