It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia calls for ceasefire.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Georgia calls for ceasefire.

news.bbc.co.uk

Georgia has ordered its forces to cease fire, and offered to start talks with Russia over an end to hostilities in South Ossetia, Georgian officials say.

Earlier Georgia said its troops had pulled out of the breakaway region and that Russian forces were in control of its capital, Tskhinvali.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
looks like the war may be ending. i think georgia bit off more than they could chew with this little debacle. the US cant back them up so they have no chance of winning. i think that now the situation will return to the state it was earlier, with s. ossetia being an autonomous region under russian protection.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
also from the article update:

On Sunday evening the Georgian foreign ministry said in a statement that Georgia "today stopped firing in the South Ossetian conflict zone and is ready to begin talks with Russia on a ceasefire and cessation of hostilities".

It said a note had been passed to the Russian embassy in Georgia to that effect.

But a Russian foreign ministry official said fighting had not ceased, Interfax said.

Intresting looks like the georgians have finally submitted, now will the russians stop pummeling them?

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I doubt the Russians are finished. Both sides need to fall back to their pre-war territory, but the Russians won't. Georgia has been a thorn in their side for years and I suspect they'll use this opportunity to make a major land grab in the area.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

if they pull back there will be ethnic cleansing of s. Ossetia. that is part of the reason russians took the gloves off when georgia starting shelling. the pre war set up was best. s. ossetia technically belonged to georgia but they were autonomous and backed by russia.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Russians have taken the capital and it doesnt look like they will accept a cease fire until they are done with their revenge: Link.

"The Georgian tanks fired at everything they saw, including women and children," one man said after his evacuation over the border to the Russian region of North Ossetia.

[edit on 10-8-2008 by Copernicus]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRepublic

I agree with you, but I don't think the Russians are done. By the time this is over, Russia will be in possession of a sizeable chunk of Georgian territory that was not previously in dispute.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

yes it dosnt seem like the russians are not done yet.
i have also heard some saying that this is more georgian propoganda, and that they are calling for a ceasefire and are not actually ceasing fire. the media i feel has been very decietful during this conflict, so who can really know what is going on?

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

total crap

MOSCOW (AFP)--Georgian forces continued fighting in South Ossetia Sunday, despite a claim by Georgia's foreign ministry that a ceasefire had been ordered, a Russian foreign ministry official told Interfax.

"The Georgian side hasn't ceased military action in South Ossetia. Georgian forces are still firing," the official said

Georgia have failed to honor there own cease fire - they are run by a genocidal blood thirsty lunatic

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

i agree. the georgians have been caught lying several times so far, and the media is very obviously on their side. just one more nail in the medias coffin i say...

but

Georgia have failed to honor there own cease fire - they are run by a genocidal blood thirsty lunatic

george bush?
hahah

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

That is from a earlier news article I believe. The request for a cease fire has been active for like a day now I think.

And you have to understand... requesting a cease fire is not the same as stopping to fight. You do that when a cease fire has been accepted.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

And you have to understand... requesting a cease fire is not the same as stopping to fight. You do that when a cease fire has been accepted.

Game theory in wartime scenarios...

With the timing of the Olympics, it seems the incursion was always meant to be a one-way fight.

I'm tempted to contemplate the possibility of Russian mind-control techniques or double-agents being used against the Georgian Military...

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRepublic

GEORGIA
Total personnel: 26,900
Main battle tanks (T-72): 82
Armoured personnel carriers: 139
Combat aircraft (Su-25): Seven
Heavy artillery pieces (including Grad rocket launchers): 95
RUSSIA
Total personnel: 641,000
Main battle tanks (various): 6,717
Armoured personnel carriers: 6,388
Combat aircraft (various): 1,206
Heavy artillery pieces (various): 7,550
Source: Jane's Sentinel Country Risk Assessments

did they stand a chance in the first place?
their forces are less then a fraction of that of Russia in the first place

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

With the timing of the Olympics, it seems the incursion was always meant to be a one-way fight.

i completely agree with that. the olympics thing is so blatent. georgia thought russia would not react quickly enough and that they would be able to secure the area, but now they are trying every dirty trick there is to weasel the west into supporting them.

how do you figure the russians are using mind control though?

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

they might have stood a chance if they had secured the area immediatly after they started shelling blitzkreig style. then once it was secured russia would be in a very bad position coming across the border.

they also might stand a chance if nato comes to their aid, but that could bring on WW3 so i dont think that is going to happen. i think basically georgia made a bad bet and lost.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Makes you wonder what the Georgian government was thinking, doesn't it? They never had a prayer of winning this. Obviously, they badly miscalculated the Russian response to their acts.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Georgia has violated its own ceasefire once again. They commenced shelling Tskhinvalli. Unconfirmed use of napalm is reported.

Any ceasefire declaration by Georgia is fully out of question now. Their military capability to wage war must now be destroyed. They cannot be trusted. They murdered 2,000 S. Ossetian civilians in one day.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRepublic
but now they are trying every dirty trick there is to weasel the west into supporting them.

how do you figure the russians are using mind control though?

The longer that this fight goes on without the west saying anything, the longer the Russians can fool themselves into a false sense of superiority over the west.

In translation, this means truckloads of political support in return for a relatively minor victory.

It may well be the case that mind control could be employed in order to ensure proceedings carry on as planned.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by maloy

i agree the georgians started this, but dont you think it would be risky for the russians to exspand the conflict outside of s. ossetia and abkhazi? i agree it is sad that aperantly this call for a ceasefir appears to just be more propaganda to try and rally western support for georgia.

what a mess.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Who said they are expanding outside of S. Ossetia? They will simply continue to do what they are already doing - launched limited airstrikes against Georgian military targets.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join