It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IF your God told you to kill yourself, would you?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by JPhish
if i was convinced that it was G*d telling me to do so; yes. Kind of wild to think about. But if G*d really was speaking to you . . . I think you'd be a fool not to obey.

Although you and I understand this, I seriously doubt anyone who doesn't know God could fully accept why. I haven't much hope for this thread because of it.

This one is actually a fairly easy question.

"The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life." - John 12:25

A harder question would be, "If God told you to take your son up to a mountain top and sacrifice him, could you do it?" The answer is already in the Book and much more difficult to perform.

[edit on 30-7-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Here's another testament to the power of the gods.

A rather docile fellow in kiev urkraine decides one day in 2006 he will test his supreme deities power and love for his creation man. The oh so filled with faith docile fellow of the holy tree bloodline of the patriarchs and matriarchs of old, Skips over to the kiev zoo for a simple demonstration of gods existence.

Mr full of faith gets a rope, then shouts: "God will save me, if he exists", as he lowers himself into the lions den. The lions, looking on with curiosity, make some noises where by a female lion who doesn't put up with shenanigans, Trots over and kills Mr full of faith in his gods power to intervene and prove once and for all he or it actually exist.

So, ya, people are nuts with this faith BS.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
god has asked people to kill there offspring befor,as a test,issaic i belive or whoever,god told him to kill his only son.So he get set up and was about to kill him,and god stoped him.It was a test,and when god asks u to do something it will not be a voice,or such,you will KNOW its god withh all your being.
So if the stars feel from the sky,and the day turned to night,and a being came to me and my soul knew it was my father,and he said kill your self would i? mmm sure why not? death is only the begining to everything if you realy belive in god,and if god willed it i wouldnt be faulted for following through.
Now lets see what god would do,Would god send his only son to be killed,knowing thats the outcome,becuse he knows everything?the answer is yes,it will be painfull,and sad ,but the reward is worth it,like any lesson in life.There is no Death so idk what the actual ramifications of dieing are,I probly HAVE to die to move on up or down,depending on my prefrence.
come to think of it heck if i was god, i would probly at lest ONCE if not more times take part of me in a mortal form of a man and die,just to know what its like.We do this all the time in video games,we take digital men and kill them in diffrent ways to expirence the effect,its kin to expierminting.Do u feel remorse for the video game men?Or do u relize they will just go back to the bit stream and be made again in a orderly fashion.
I would NOT take my life for some petty feeling i have, or becuse i cant handle life.I would take my life if it was a means to enlightment, or the upriseing of man as a whole.Sometimes the most important thing u can offer in this world is your life,and u dont have to even be inteligent to help the whole.
alas i surmise this question realy only holds any relivance if death is to be feared,or precived as the end.
i close with the true directive of the creator force.
live,spread life,adapt to live,live,life,live you get the picture,so suicide with out improvement of man as a whole doesnt serve the directive.But there are times when one mans transistion by dieing can serve the whole and the directive.jesus would be one to come to mind,rather u belive divine,or not,his death serverd to spread love,and acceptence,and his death made his directive live on and help alot of men at lest think about others befor them selfs.there are numerous other people thats death helped to serve in keeping there message alive.
anyway thanks for you time and intresting question

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I would tell my god, that in between each moment my death happens, and within that moment my life breaks free. My ego becomes formless when I am free.

That direct moment usually happens outside in of my mind, its the fleeting image passing by, in slow motion being held by my attention, when its at rest then I am free.

I am the NANO-SECOND the time in between space, the moment that happens in the flicker of an eye.

Encarta Dictionary:
nanosecond
one billionth of a second

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Peepers

Peepers,

that is actually a sign of no faith. one should not tempt God.

Remember when the Spirit led Jesus to the wilderness to be tempted by Satan? God promised Jesus that a thousand thousand angels will protect him from dashing his foot from a stone, which promise Satan used to tempt Jesus to jump from a cliff... but Jesus knew that it was a sin to tempt God, which lesson we should bear in mind.

It is God's ways to test the faith of his servants, to separate those who truly believe in Him from the hypocrites. but it is not for man to test God, his Creator.

021.035 Every soul must taste of death, and We try you with evil and with good, for ordeal. And unto Us ye will be returned.

018.007 Lo! We have placed all that is on the earth as an ornament thereof that We may try them: which of them is best in conduct.

008.028 And know that your possessions and your children are a test, and that with Allah is immense reward.

A man who has come to fear God must prepare his soul for temptation.

003.179 It is not (the purpose) of Allah to leave you in your present state till He shall separate the wicked from the good. And it is not (the purpose of) Allah to let you know the Unseen. But Allah chooseth of His messengers whom He will, (to receive knowledge thereof). So believe in Allah and His messengers. If ye believe and ward off (evil), yours will be a vast reward.

Peace!

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
No, I like breathing too much. LOL Plus I have too much to live for, my god would never ask something like that of me.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by HypnoAsp
I just read an article about a missing Brazilian priest who's body was just found floating in the Ocean. He attached many common party balloons to a chair and just floated off over the ocean as a charity stunt for his local truckers (??). He has been missing since April 20th after he called friends on his celphone to tell them he was about to crash into the ocean. This article really got to me on all levels. I've Googled the situation and cannot find answers to my many questions. So, I am about to go off without having all of the facts (i.e. he had a celphone, why not a GPS?). I may be wrong in assuming that he was putting his faith in God. He very well could have made all the precautionary preparations for his safe return, for all I know.

Let me state here that I mean no disrespect to anyone or their religion. If my assumption is correct, how can anyone be so STUPID? I would never jump into a meat grinder and think for one second that GOD would have anything to do with a possible favorable outcome on my behalf!! To me tieing a few balloons to a chair and floating off over the ocean is "tit" for "tat".

Now for all those running Gerbils in my head...

This whole ballooning priest thing has reminded me how many people have died and continue to die for their God. In the past people in Mexico who would compete in a ball game, the winner would be sacrificed to their GOD. There are people today who are starving while cows walk by them in the streets, due to the teachings of their holy one.There are people who died crashing planes into certain targets in the name of their God. The examples are endless. It sickens and saddens me.

I do not think I am better than ANYBODY, I just feel it to be illogical. Simply, If GOD created you why would he do so,so you could self terminate? If your GOD asked you to kill yourself why on earth would it be wrong to question him? Did God not create your mind and grant you the ability to question such a request? Did GOD not give you a self preservation instinct? How can there be religion if there are no people folks? If your almighty truly wants you to exist no more I'm quite sure he has the power to do it himself.

To my Horror I now realize how easily manipulated many humans can be. How can our outcome ever be good? Since we are dropping like flies because GOD says so,(seems to me ) if I control the religious establishments I can have you do my will because "GOD says so". Does that sound "HOLY" folks?

I do not judge people. This just does not compute in my reality. It's an absolute impossibility for me. I would question any GOD & their true identity who presented me with this request.

SO, WOULD YOU?

TY, ~Hypno

All God ever did was give people a choice, he is not a dictator, we are the dictator's. Stop blaming God for our mistakes.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Where to begin on this.I live in utah,so I also live with mormons.
When the heavens gate thing happened I asked three co workers
if the mormon church president told them to kill them selfs would
they. two repiled yes at once,the other said maybe.I think people
get religion confused with god.Man made religious groups.The
shepple are easy to lead astray.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Personally, these days I don't even know what to believe in. I believe there is someone that is of a higher power, not sure if its Christ.

I would not comply with his demand. If my creator wanted me dead, then he should have the power to strike me down right there.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by HypnoAsp
reply to post by MurderCityDevil

"
uh, if you god spoke to you and you know it was HIM, asking you to kill yourself would mean a free ticket to salvation

ultimate proof that existance, # at that point anything is possible

"

Not in my reality. Please explain. I am very interested in how you rationalize this. I am not picking a fight.I really want to hear more from you and like mind sets....

Ty,

~HYP

ok i can understand from both perspectives but if god came to you and told you that, seeing him there and knowing he existed is my point, you know hes there

on the other hand i can see the delusional side of this thinking god spoke to you and said this

i dont have to worry as i know god would not want this for me, i was born for a reason and he will call my number when its time

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by gazbom56

why not blame god? what right did he have to create all of us then allow people to suffer?

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

saint4god,

"The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life." - John 12:25

that's true. a man who chose the life of this world will lose the eternal life, which is God's reward to those who will spend their lives and their wealth in the cause of God

A harder question would be, "If God told you to take your son up to a mountain top and sacrifice him, could you do it?" The answer is already in the Book and much more difficult to perform.

---again that's true, but that's to test the faith of our forefather Abraham, to test whether his love for his son is greater than his love for God. Here Abraham has proven that his love for God is greater, and that saved the life of his son. Consider if he chose his son instead, what's to stop God from causing his son to die? His obedience saved the life of his son.

I want to share with you some stories wherein God has tested His servants in the past.

Consider, what thing is more dear to God here on earth than the priesthood and the holy Temple? Nevertheless, in the time of Jeremiah the prophet, when the people had forgotten God, and boasted only of the Temple, for that there was none like it in all the world, God raised up his wrath by Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, and with an army caused him to take the holy city and burn it with the sacred Temple, such that the sacred things which the prophets of God trembled to touch were trodden under foot by infidels full of wickedness.

David loved Absalom vehemently, and therefore God brought it to pass that the son rebelled against his father and was suspended by his hair and slain by Joab. O fearful judgment of God, that Absalom loved his hair above all things, and this was turned into a rope to hang him!

Innocent Job came near to loving his seven sons and three daughters [too much], when God gave him into the hand of Satan, who not only deprived him of his sons and his riches in one day, but also struck him with grievous sickness, such that worms came out of his flesh for the next seven years.

Our father Jacob loved Joseph more than his other sons, so God caused him to be sold, and caused Jacob to be deceived by these same sons, such that he believed that the beasts had devoured his son, and so lived in mourning for ten years.

---a greater example is Jesus, whom the disciples and his true followers loved more than was right. God punished them by letting them think that Jesus died in the cross, when he did not, because God saved him.

--- Jesus himself was punished by God, even though he is innocent, since men has called him God and son of God, God has caused Jesus to be mocked of men by his supposed death on the cross... in order that he won't be mocked by the demons on the Day of Judgment.

---Jesus abide in this dishonor until the advent of the Prophet Muhammad, who revealed the deception to those who believe in God's Law.

Again, whoever will not believe in the Truth for their salvation, will believe in the Lie for their damnation.

Peace!

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Im gonna have to ask a few favors before I do...

1. World Peace forever, all credit goes under my ID.
2. Heaven with infinite virgins.
3. God's powers- Including ability to transform into immortal superhuman.
4. I'm not going to kill myself, you kill me God, or just send me straight to heaven in an elevator.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Death and the end of cause-and-effect experience always comes our way. There is no other way out of here.

Would God hasten death? I dunno because I cannot imagine throwing away the chance to learn something.

Would he delay death? Creatively speaking I think he could do that if he chose to.

I think Life itself is more precious than most people realize because I hear them all the time joking about Death as if it were not final. Well maybe for some people its not final.

I dont know that either whether my death is final for me or not.

Maybe if we keep asking God will answer the questions.

sarc

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by UnforgiveableSin

UnforgiveableSin,

there is indeed a higher power and that is God. we are the living proof that God exists. the creation is proof that there is a Creator, even though we can't see God, we know that He exists. Faith is to pray and believe in God as though you can see Him, and if you cannot achieve this, faith is to believe that even though we can't see God, He sees us.

Peace!

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofangels_17

It's all a dream........

Once you wake from it, you shall see!

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Given two conditions, that A) you believe in a god and B) you also believe that this god rewards his faithful servants in the afterlife, the answer to this question has to be an unequivocal yes.

To a believer, the afterlife is by definition infinitely better than Earthly life can be. So what would be better than an opportunity to instantly reach this paradise by following God's order and killing yourself?

Why do you think the Muslims have no trouble recruiting an endless line of suicide bombers? Why do you think so many eagerly rushed off to fight in the Crusades?

In most religions, suicide is pretty much an irreversable sin (which is understandable, because most religious edicts were originally meant to sustain life in their communities). God-mandated suicide, however, is the swiftest path to Heaven.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofangels_17

QOAngels

"God will NEVER tell anybody to kill himself. God have made life sacred, He alone can give it, and He alone can take it."

How can you possibly know this to be a fact? God has instructed millions to kill millions for some insane reason or other, it should make no difference to god whether he tells somone to kill his brother or himself. The god of abraham is a nut job when it comes to killing, so who can know the mind of a loony deity. Look what the sicko did to Job.
Come to think of it, look what the murdering bastard did to his only begotten son ( or himself or prize prophet whatever)

Hang on ! God killed himself at the crucifition? god sinned against himself, wow religion seems to get more barking mad by the minute!

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Depends on your definition of god.

Many believe that each and every living thing is in fact god, therefore even a random person on the street could tell you to kill yourself and you would be faced with the same decision.

If god existed and spoke personally to a human, then wouldn't that be proof of greater existence beyond mortality? If so, why not go for it.

However, some religions believe that purposefully causing the end of ones life negates them from a pleasant afterlife. So, wouldn't wanna do that...right?

And still, some believe that you only speak to your creator after having departed the physical realm, and therefore it would be a mute point if you were having that conversation with god.

Hmmmm....

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
The life I live will depend on which side I am on. My God is not what you represent as a "God" so the outcome of my answer is different. If you knew the God I pray to then you would know what love is and any other God that demands you die or else is no good but a false one.

There are some people who would die protecting their money and investments. To me the question should be "Would you die saving all that you saved up?"

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join