It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IF your God told you to kill yourself, would you?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
in short,

yes, if my God spoke to me in an unmistakable way, and told me to kill myself in this manner or that manner, I would do so.

It's really quite that simple, you might think im crazy, but I know my God wouldnt tell me to kill myself.

If he did, it would simply be a matter of obeying. Just like Abaraham was going to sacrifice Isaac (or Ishmael if you're muslim) because God told him to, but God stopped it because it was just a test of loyalty to begin with; God never intended to allow the blood to be shed you see.

And much like that, if he DID tell me, it would likely just be a test of faith.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
If it was 100% without a doubt, without a doubt of a doubt was God, yes I would do it. I would be an idiot not to.

As for those who answered, 'God would not ask you to do such a thing', think again. What do you think he did to his own son?? Its not like Jesus woke up one day and had nothing better to do ya know... God asked him if he would... would you die for the life of all the others, would you die for others to prove a point to me... . Jesus was given a choice and he took it. So was Jesus suicidal?? Is God mad (as insane)? IF you have the power to stop the death of your child wouldn't you??? Yes you would, does that mean you are more loving than God? If so what does that say about God?

What about Isaiah who was asked to sacrafice his child for God? Even though God stopped him, God still asked him to do it. In fact God had lots of people kill themselves in the old testement and he also had people murder people. He was actually proud of Sampson killing folks. Which brings me to a question..

If Jesus is God, how come he goes from a God of merciless killing in the old testement, to this all loving dude of the new testement? Did he have some kind of spiritual awakening or what???

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by gazbom56

Originally posted by gazbom56

Originally posted by HypnoAsp
I just read an article about a missing Brazilian priest who's body was just found floating in the Ocean. He attached many common party balloons to a chair and just floated off over the ocean as a charity stunt for his local truckers (??). He has been missing since April 20th after he called friends on his celphone to tell them he was about to crash into the ocean. This article really got to me on all levels. I've Googled the situation and cannot find answers to my many questions. So, I am about to go off without having all of the facts (i.e. he had a celphone, why not a GPS?). I may be wrong in assuming that he was putting his faith in God. He very well could have made all the precautionary preparations for his safe return, for all I know.

Let me state here that I mean no disrespect to anyone or their religion. If my assumption is correct, how can anyone be so STUPID? I would never jump into a meat grinder and think for one second that GOD would have anything to do with a possible favorable outcome on my behalf!! To me tieing a few balloons to a chair and floating off over the ocean is "tit" for "tat".

Now for all those running Gerbils in my head...

This whole ballooning priest thing has reminded me how many people have died and continue to die for their God. In the past people in Mexico who would compete in a ball game, the winner would be sacrificed to their GOD. There are people today who are starving while cows walk by them in the streets, due to the teachings of their holy one.There are people who died crashing planes into certain targets in the name of their God. The examples are endless. It sickens and saddens me.

I do not think I am better than ANYBODY, I just feel it to be illogical. Simply, If GOD created you why would he do so,so you could self terminate? If your GOD asked you to kill yourself why on earth would it be wrong to question him? Did God not create your mind and grant you the ability to question such a request? Did GOD not give you a self preservation instinct? How can there be religion if there are no people folks? If your almighty truly wants you to exist no more I'm quite sure he has the power to do it himself.

To my Horror I now realize how easily manipulated many humans can be. How can our outcome ever be good? Since we are dropping like flies because GOD says so,(seems to me ) if I control the religious establishments I can have you do my will because "GOD says so". Does that sound "HOLY" folks?

I do not judge people. This just does not compute in my reality. It's an absolute impossibility for me. I would question any GOD & their true identity who presented me with this request.

SO, WOULD YOU?

TY, ~Hypno

All God ever did was give people a choice, he is not a dictator, we are the dictator's. Stop blaming God for our mistakes.

Hmmm I fail to understand how you perceive I'm blaming GOD for anything? I am actually blaming us humans?

Ty?

~Hyp

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofangels_17

quote]Originally posted by queenofangels_17
reply to post by saint4God

saint4god,

"The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life." - John 12:25

that's true. a man who chose the life of this world will lose the eternal life, which is God's reward to those who will spend their lives and their wealth in the cause of God

A harder question would be, "If God told you to take your son up to a mountain top and sacrifice him, could you do it?" The answer is already in the Book and much more difficult to perform.

---again that's true, but that's to test the faith of our forefather Abraham, to test whether his love for his son is greater than his love for God. Here Abraham has proven that his love for God is greater, and that saved the life of his son. Consider if he chose his son instead, what's to stop God from causing his son to die? His obedience saved the life of his son.

I want to share with you some stories wherein God has tested His servants in the past.

Consider, what thing is more dear to God here on earth than the priesthood and the holy Temple? Nevertheless, in the time of Jeremiah the prophet, when the people had forgotten God, and boasted only of the Temple, for that there was none like it in all the world, God raised up his wrath by Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, and with an army caused him to take the holy city and burn it with the sacred Temple, such that the sacred things which the prophets of God trembled to touch were trodden under foot by infidels full of wickedness.

David loved Absalom vehemently, and therefore God brought it to pass that the son rebelled against his father and was suspended by his hair and slain by Joab. O fearful judgment of God, that Absalom loved his hair above all things, and this was turned into a rope to hang him!

Innocent Job came near to loving his seven sons and three daughters [too much], when God gave him into the hand of Satan, who not only deprived him of his sons and his riches in one day, but also struck him with grievous sickness, such that worms came out of his flesh for the next seven years.

Our father Jacob loved Joseph more than his other sons, so God caused him to be sold, and caused Jacob to be deceived by these same sons, such that he believed that the beasts had devoured his son, and so lived in mourning for ten years.

---a greater example is Jesus, whom the disciples and his true followers loved more than was right. God punished them by letting them think that Jesus died in the cross, when he did not, because God saved him.

--- Jesus himself was punished by God, even though he is innocent, since men has called him God and son of God, God has caused Jesus to be mocked of men by his supposed death on the cross... in order that he won't be mocked by the demons on the Day of Judgment.

---Jesus abide in this dishonor until the advent of the Prophet Muhammad, who revealed the deception to those who believe in God's Law.

Again, whoever will not believe in the Truth for their salvation, will believe in the Lie for their damnation.

Peace!

Thanx, I really wanted your thoughts on the matter though.

~Hyp

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
the quesion is, wat is gods reasoning for asking you this? a test of faith?

i think if it was he would stop you n the process.

but god has given you free will so i would assume common sence would be used in such a situation

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by HypnoAsp

Hers is a quote that has always reminded me that I made the correct decision in regards to following organized religion:

In 1819, William Hazlitt said, “The garb of religion is the best cloak for power.”

A paradigm shift may occur one day that will free us from the shackles of religion, but I'm not holding my breath...

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
To quote an episode of "The Simpsons", (by a drunken native)

" If god is omnipotent, why does he need us to worship him?"

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
If god himself like actualy god not a prophet or anybody speaking "for" god then I would. But suicide is against the commandments so that doesnt make sense.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
only way i would kill myself is if that god came down and gave me a "big'ol-fat-azz-bag-of-proof" thats who he was, then mabe, ill entertain the idea

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Nice thread, very thought-provoking. As for me, I'm an atheist, so if a burning bush appeared and told me to off myself, well, I'd have a whole 'nother set of problems to deal with at that point I think.

I think the priest with his balloon chair must've just been a little bit strange in the head, if you know what I mean. Any amount of research would've showed him that party balloons won't get him very far. And if he thought his god was going to reward his stupidity, well that's his bad. I'm sure once he gets to whatever afterlife he believes in, his god will show him the back of his hand with a "What were you THINKING?!"

And the guy who posted his list of demands for God cracked me up. You forgot to demand a million dollars in unmarked bills and a chopper waiting on the roof, however.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Theism - Atheism

the illusion of the dual mind. THeres only one.

there is no higher power technically separate from us. theres nothing to really think about? Would you listen to yourself if u told you to kill yourself?
Suicide well gain karma because its a misunderstanding of life. If your deepest self wanted to leave so bad it would simply just drop the body and leave. One day we will all have the power to do that. suicide then is just the ego and a misunderstanding of how life works.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by noone81

How could the source come down and be recognized as the source? By definition it is at the source. And if it changed forms to come down to show you....im not sure you'd be convinced. I think it would have to manipulate your awareness and bring you thru many worlds to show you what you are and its plans for you to kill yourself or whatever.......It just isnt going to happen. Suicide is an attack. willing oneself to leave is the sane way to do it.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Killing is considered a sin, whether killing oneself or someone else.

Just 2 cents.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by menguard

I am the NANO-SECOND the time in between space, the moment that happens in the flicker of an eye.

Actually, in Universe Creation Time, after a billionth of a second a lot of stuff had happened. So that's a long time.

They measure the Big Bang in terms like 10e-37.

I do think there's probably a 7th Dimensional Being looking over us, but I have no idea who, or their intent...

[edit on 31-7-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
In a heartbeat.

In the bigger picture, this life is but a small dream. If it is deemed that I should end it at a certain time I would not hesitate because it would mean it is part of the process of my learning, or that I had finished what I was living to learn this time around.

Death is not something to fear at all, something to look forward to in fact

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Absolutely.

I believe God would never ask me to do that, but if he did of coarse I would with no hesitation.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Nope. NO WAY. NADA. Never ever. IMHO we were given free will and the greatest gift ever by God or nature. LIFE. Nothing could make me end my life early. Command me, order me, whatever. WONT HAPPEN.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by HypnoAsp

man that is a sick avatar. Did you make that/whats it for? i'll admit that i havent even read a single response to your post yet but i could never see whatever the closest force to a god that i would allow in my current life view wouldnt ask me to kill myself. maybe somehow tell me i was about to die, or that i have to die, but not to kill myself. but if it did, i would just live it up even more, just to spite it.

if its really a god couldnt it just kill you itself?

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by queenofangels_17

Agree - If one supposes that God has told one to kill oneself - it is NOT God speaking but him who comes "only to kill, steal or destroy"....
End of story.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Peepers

Peepers,

when you compare life on this earth to the eternity after it, then i will say yes.

on the Day of Judgment it will seem like we lived on earth for just a day or part of a day.

consider that for a second and you will understand how foolish it is for a man to spend his life on earth without preparing for the next life by doing good deeds that will stand him in good stead when he is summoned to be judged by His Maker.

your free will is a big responsibility, one that you will have to account for on that Day. it will be a shameful day for people who have used the world amiss. who thought vain things about God, know that every thought man has conceived in his mind will confront him on that Day, and every word and every deed, is recorded faithfully, each man's book will testify against him or for him.

so be careful what you write in your book.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join