It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IF your God told you to kill yourself, would you?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I just read an article about a missing Brazilian priest who's body was just found floating in the Ocean. He attached many common party balloons to a chair and just floated off over the ocean as a charity stunt for his local truckers (??). He has been missing since April 20th after he called friends on his celphone to tell them he was about to crash into the ocean. This article really got to me on all levels. I've Googled the situation and cannot find answers to my many questions. So, I am about to go off without having all of the facts (i.e. he had a celphone, why not a GPS?). I may be wrong in assuming that he was putting his faith in God. He very well could have made all the precautionary preparations for his safe return, for all I know.

Let me state here that I mean no disrespect to anyone or their religion. If my assumption is correct, how can anyone be so STUPID? I would never jump into a meat grinder and think for one second that GOD would have anything to do with a possible favorable outcome on my behalf!! To me tieing a few balloons to a chair and floating off over the ocean is "tit" for "tat".

Now for all those running Gerbils in my head...

This whole ballooning priest thing has reminded me how many people have died and continue to die for their God. In the past people in Mexico who would compete in a ball game, the winner would be sacrificed to their GOD. There are people today who are starving while cows walk by them in the streets, due to the teachings of their holy one.There are people who died crashing planes into certain targets in the name of their God. The examples are endless. It sickens and saddens me.

I do not think I am better than ANYBODY, I just feel it to be illogical. Simply, If GOD created you why would he do so,so you could self terminate? If your GOD asked you to kill yourself why on earth would it be wrong to question him? Did God not create your mind and grant you the ability to question such a request? Did GOD not give you a self preservation instinct? How can there be religion if there are no people folks? If your almighty truly wants you to exist no more I'm quite sure he has the power to do it himself.

To my Horror I now realize how easily manipulated many humans can be. How can our outcome ever be good? Since we are dropping like flies because GOD says so,(seems to me ) if I control the religious establishments I can have you do my will because "GOD says so". Does that sound "HOLY" folks?

I do not judge people. This just does not compute in my reality. It's an absolute impossibility for me. I would question any GOD & their true identity who presented me with this request.

SO, WOULD YOU?

TY, ~Hypno

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Its going to get an eclectic response here.

I am beginning to believe that intelligent design is possible on many levels. I think there is more than just an omnipotent being to all of this.

The thought of my God asking me to do this? Well he's have some 'splaining to do.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I will be surprised if anyone says yes. If I had a voice tell me it was god and then tell me to kill myself (even though I don't think that was what happened with the priest in your OP), I would probably just hope the voice went away.

If it was really god, he/she/it would have the power to convince me I suppose. Just a voice in my head though, I would just think I was going crazy.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

"If it was really god, he/she/it would have the power to convince me I suppose"

Errrr.....A very interesting point.

~Hyp

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Why would G-d ask someone to kill themselves when He could kill you at will? It just doesn't make any sense. If G-d wanted you dead, you would be dead. No asking, just "poof" your dead.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Also I think you will find all/most religions hold life scarosanct and would therefore not ask you to kill yourself.

Most of the atrocities commited for so called religious reasons were in fact for other reasons. Usually money and power of the elite it's just that the sheep follow their 'religious teachers' without question and it is an easy way to manipulate us.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I'd by slightly concerned if any voices in my head were telling me to kill myself. I certainly wouldn't believe they were God'.

To quote James T. Kirk:

"what does God, want with a star-ship....?"

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by HypnoAsp

HypnoAsp,

God will NEVER tell anybody to kill himself. God have made life sacred, He alone can give it, and He alone can take it.

006.151 Say: Come, I will recite unto you that which your Lord hath made a sacred duty for you: That ye ascribe no thing as partner unto Him and that ye do good to parents, and that ye slay not your children because of penury - We provide for you and for them - and that ye draw not nigh to lewd things whether open or concealed. And that ye slay not the life which Allah hath made sacred, save in the course of justice. This He hath command you, in order that ye may discern.

005.032 For that cause We decreed for the Children of Israel that whosoever killeth a human being for other than manslaughter or corruption in the earth, it shall be as if he had killed all mankind, and whoso saveth the life of one, it shall be as if he had saved the life of all mankind. Our messengers came unto them of old with clear proofs (of Allah's Sovereignty), but afterwards lo! many of them became prodigals in the earth.

Now, if somebody committed suicide and claimed that God told him to do so, that is Blasphemy and a clear lie.

On the other hand, Satan the Great Deceiver and evil whisperer can certainly put these corrupt thoughts in one's mind and convince one that it is God, except those whose faith in God is sure, for these people, according to God, Satan will be to them like a dog tied to a post.

Peace!

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I know that some of you may disagree with this but my God doesn't tell me what to do.

I was made in his image and given free will.

I may have boundaries, rules and limitations... but i dont receive orders.

I say again, God does not tell me what to do. I HIGHLY doubt if He tells others what to do eather.

Probably not the answer you are looking for, but thats the answer im going to give.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
i think people just look at the world differently. your not really looking at the whole picture. what if the mindset of the people is this:

okay, god made me therefore i must do anything he tells me.

or

god is only lending me my body and i won't need it later so i might as well do what he wants.

we the "rational" people don't think this way but it doesn't mean some devote person doesn't. people by nature are prone to doing a lot of thing as long as there will be a reward for it later. a hit man kills for money. a terrorist dies for virgins.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
If I heard a voice telling me to do ANYTHING, I would instantly think that someone was using some sort of military device on me and I would get the hell outta Dodge.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I'd tell him to # off, that he knew the damned rules, he made them up, and I wasn't letting him trip me up into hell that way and if he was that bothered, I'd tell him to do it himself, because he is the only one who wouldn't have to take the wrap for it. I'd also tell him that I no longer had any faith in him. And that he was arrogant.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
uh, if you god spoke to you and you know it was HIM, asking you to kill yourself would mean a free ticket to salvation

ultimate proof that existance, # at that point anything is possible

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofangels_17

Again, I am not picking on or knocking any religion. I find it interesting that you quoted the Bible here. Did God not ask a certain someone to kill his own son?

Lets just extend my original question to cover killing of any kind. We are all Gods children. It does not compute.....

~Hyp

~Hyp

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by MurderCityDevil

"
uh, if you god spoke to you and you know it was HIM, asking you to kill yourself would mean a free ticket to salvation

ultimate proof that existance, # at that point anything is possible

"

Not in my reality. Please explain. I am very interested in how you rationalize this. I am not picking a fight.I really want to hear more from you and like mind sets....

Ty,

~HYP

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I will only say this, if you hear a voice telling you to kill yourself you better run to the nearest head doctor because is definitely something wrong with you and is not of divine intervention.

[edit on 30-7-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
People are daff enough to meet death under any circumstance for there savior.

Milwaukee, wi. some years ago. A fellow and his woman had a kid, this new to the world of BS kid had an uncle on his dads side. The uncle came up to milwaukee from chicago to see his grandkid and make holy the arrival.

The holy guys name was raleigh oliver and he was going to walk on water to bless the new arrival. Raleigh, spurred on by the power of his god, walked out on the ice of lake michigan, got to the edge and it went like craaaack, and ka plonk.

The holy man from chicago disappeared and was not found till spring. Yes, the gods act in mysterious ways.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
if i was convinced that it was G*d telling me to do so; yes. Kind of wild to think about. But if G*d really was speaking to you . . . I think you'd be a fool not to obey.

Check out the movie "Frailty" if this subject matter intrigues you.

[edit on 7/30/2008 by JPhish]

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Well, my Fiancee' did indeed kill himself saying 'God told me I have to do this to save the world'. yikes.
As for me, I say God can do his own dirty work.
If he wants me dead, have at it. I'm still here.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by earthchild

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if he wants us death and after all he created us (or so the bible tell us) then he can do the deed itself.

It will be kind of selfish for a god to demand death from its own creation.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join