It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay rights and abortion rights should not affect your vote!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
Their job is to:

1) protect life
2) protect the US internally and externally
3) promote equality
4) enable people to succeed (not do it for them)

Ummm, how many people die in the street each year? Is the government protecting them there from the diseases? Or how about the kid who cannot get a liver because his insurance does not cover it???

I just have one question for you. From what I have seen from you on the board, am I to assume that you do not believe euthanasia? I ask just out of pure morbid curiosity.

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I am not as a matter of fact.

While I understand that people die and get killed all the time, that does not negate the fact that the governments job is to protect us.

Now Amuk. We all know your fancy free no limits ideals. Why should the government say anything to anyone?

While nice in theory, it's just plain dumb. Somewhere along the line any governing body will have to force someone to do something.

Boo hoo, thems the breaks buddy.

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Boo hoo, thems the breaks buddy.
[/quote

And right now the breaks is that a woman is free to choose, so I guess the boo hoo is yours

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Life's for your own, to live your own way.

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   

While nice in theory, it's just plain dumb. Somewhere along the line any governing body will have to force someone to do something.

As long as that something goes along with your religious views? I hate to break it to you but this is not a theocracy, as the supreme court has ruled time and time again. Maybe Iran whould be more to your taste? Thats a nice religious place were women know there place, you know property of there father, husband or the state.

Just messing with you

Your my favorite person to dissagree with

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Life's for your own, to live your own way.

Well I guess we dont disagree on everything

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
As long as that something goes along with your religious views?

Have I brought up religion? No.

I hate to break it to you but this is not a theocracy, as the supreme court has ruled time and time again.

Nor do I want it one. I formulated my opinions on these topics well before any religion affected me. I argue without that aspect.

Maybe Iran whould be more to your taste? Thats a nice religious place were women know there place, you know property of there father, husband or the state.

Just messing with you

Your my favorite person to dissagree with

And by the way, the boo hoo is not on me. The boo hoo is truely on the life so wantanly disregarded for selfishness. The boohoo is for the evil that rises in good people causing them to justify wrong with good intentions.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. I know it's a trite overused saying, but it is none-the-less true.

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
While you have not brought up religion from your other posts you cannot claim that it has nothing to do with this it does.

You, like most people, are fine and dandy with the government taking someones rights, or interfering with someone elses life as long as the interference is in line with what YOU want the world to look like. Freedom is scary to some people, but it is not "Freedom as long as its what I want", Freedom sometimes means that people can do things you do not agree with.

Get over it.

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
And you are not that way?

You believe that the world should be allowed to run "amuk" oddly enough. Screw the people who believe abortion should be illegal.

Screw the folks who think it is murder, we not only say screw their beliefs, but make them pay taxes to FUND these sorts of activities.

What you prescribe yourself to, is to aline the federal government to the lowest common denominator so that no one could possibly get their toes stepped on.

No limits, no restrictions. To be truely free, we should just get rid of the governments all together.

Personal responcibility will prevail, and we shall flourish.

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
No I do not say tax money should pay for abortion what I said was if the government should force a woman to have a deformed baby they should help pay the medical bills.

My own personal opinion is the Government should not be involved in it at all.

Or any other part of my personal life for that matter. Believe it or not I do not believe in abortion in other than extreme cases......but I dont get pregnant. To me the choice should be with the couple not the Government. They are the ones that have to live with the choice.

And they should be the ones that pay for it either way

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   

No limits, no restrictions. To be truely free, we should just get rid of the governments all together.

Now your talking

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   

yeah that's either true anarchy or a populist government, and people are too stupid to even think of that concept, hence they vote for kerry or bush....

and they call themselves free thinkers! BAH!!!

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Well I am glad so many have replied and there are some great opinions. Has anyone read The lord of the flies. I've read it several times and it makes you think alot about society in general and it's ills.

Saying that people should be able to do what they such as abortion and gay marriage is rediculous I feel. Where does it end. Have you seen the news where the woman is being charged with murdrer for not having a c'section and her twins died? Why is that any different than partial birth abortion. Why aren't those who participate in abortion charged with murder?.

I feel the government should be very limited in our personal life. But a president will never have power to change anything concerning moral issues in our country. I dont support abortion but what has any president ever been able to do about it. Nothing they don't have the power. What power does our president have over gay marriage none. The courts do and our state politicians.

That is why I said elect a president for his abilty to take care of our country and it's major issues such as healt care and the deficit and our huge national debt. He shouldnt have to worry about us and our social ills just our country. I agree alot with crazy jethro. These social issues should be going and staying primarily within the states. But no state should have to honor another states laws. I am from a deeply religious are in the bible belt and homosexualtiy, abortion, even interacial marriage and alcohol are still very taboo. Are we primitive because of this? No.

I hate to see our society demoralized by people who feel like they should be able to do as they please. Who are they hurting you say. Our country is who. Where does it stop. If there is no morality then Society will resort to being lawless and do as you please there are no consequences.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   

I hate to see our society demoralized by people who feel like they should be able to do as they please. Who are they hurting you say. Our country is who. Where does it stop. If there is no morality then Society will resort to being lawless and do as you please there are no consequences.

Yeah we cant have people thinking they can do as they wish in America, the only way we can remain free is to do exactly as we are told by our leaders. Freedom only means that you are free to do what your betters tell you to. After all there honesty and compasion for the common man has been proved over and over again.

Where would we be without there moral and spritual guidance? Why we might allow two people to get married just because the love each other and not for the sole purpose of producing more slaves, whoops I mean free people.

We might have people smoking pot in there homes instead of gitting drunk and beating there wives like god (Government) intended.

People might try to control there own lives!!!!

People might have to take responsabilty for there own actions!!!

Can you imagine the horror of having to think for your self? Not having the Government there to make all those hard choices and to hold your hand if you stumble?

If it werent for the government taking care of us from cradle to grave this country would be turned into some kind of land of the free and some kind of home of the brave and thats not any kind of country any American should want to live in.

Paid for by the
slavery= freedom
Ignorance=bliss
Foundation

And for those who couldnt figure it out I was being sarcastic

[Edited on 15-3-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   
It's too bad that they don't see it that way Amuk.

They think that they are "programs" to "help" people who are in "need" ..........

I can understand special circumstances, but when you have 50% of the country addicted to the governments tit, you have a bunch of kerry supporters. Which is what we just ended up with.

Bush is no good either although he is abit better then kerry. I wouldn't vote for neither.

Abortion shouldn't even be an issue. That is a topic designed to seek out the question of "should the right of a female be taken away on the grounds that aborting a child is murder? A, it's not even a child, it's not even a fetus. It's a zygot, it has no heart.

The more and more people to go the route of taking individual freedoms away, the more this country comes close to being another cuba.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Whats really sad is I had to come back and add the Im just joking part because in another thread I done a similer post and some came out in support

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

Whats really sad is I had to come back and add the Im just joking part because in another thread I done a similer post and some came out in support

Tell me about it, I feel the need to do the same thing because dummies don't know when your being sarcastic or not.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   
We can go around and around on this all day, as we have shown.

But the truth of life, is that left to their own devices, people are discusting. The idea of the government should not be a total hands off policy.

It should try to facilitate the most amount of freedom possible while still excerting control. There need to be standards, and while you harp on us for wanting to force our views on others, think also of the reason your ideals are not widespread. They are generally unwanted, yet you continue to want to project that on us as well. It goes both ways friend.

People do not want a hands off government. Some view abortion as an injustice against a life that has no voice or say.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   

It should try to facilitate the most amount of freedom possible while still excerting control. There need to be standards, and while you harp on us for wanting to force our views on others, think also of the reason your ideals are not widespread. They are generally unwanted, yet you continue to want to project that on us as well. It goes both ways friend.

Not really I am not the one that wants my veiw point enforced at gunpoint. I just give people food for thought and they can do as they wish.

If they feel more comfortable in their chains by all means crawl back into them.

I just prefer to be free

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
IT has not voice or say because it doesn't have a voice or say!

Abortion needs to have regulations, you know, abort while it's still forming, before it starts forming a central nervous system, before it starts "feeling", that is my main concern.

I don't want to kill something that feels, thats horrible.

But abortion is there as an option to take the onus off the irresponsible individual. 1st amendment rights?

People are discusting, especially when I walk into use a public bathroom and there is a bunch of poo in three different stalls! Or a maxi pad stuck in the corner of the stall with blood on it. that is sick.

It's those kinds of people i'd just love to get my little hands on. Smack their face from one side to the other, then shove their face in the crap they left int he toilet.

That's my problem solving solution.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join