It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2008 NFL Season Thread

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
The Packers are wearing it as they should this year.

If a game is on television, I'll be damn sure to watch it. But I've lost that edge this year in supporting the team. As a die hard sports fan, I support my teams through thick and thin. But this year is especially tough to swallow the losses as how it all played out. Aaron Rodgers is a good quarterback, but they through away a possible Superbowl away this year to care for their future.

I think any team out there if asked would they sacrifice a year or two in order to take in a Superbowl, they would without blinking an eye. Now it was no guarantee that they would make it that far, but considering how the season has played out.. it was a good chance.

Romo was injured, Brady is gone, the reason we lost to the Giants last year is no more, Peyton in the AFC is hardly what he used to be, however it is turning it around... and the list goes on and on. In a division that we should be walking all over, this could have been a great season for the Packers. Assuming that Favre plays another year with the Jets, some people in the front office at Lambeau better feel the brunt of this.

The fans feel it every Sunday.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
If there is any justice in the NFL (which there isnt) then Godsder Cherilus (sp?) should be heavily fined and suspended for multiple games for what he did to Jared Allan today. That was one of the dirtiest cheap shots I have ever seen....that is trying to end someones career.

I know life must suck playing for the 0-13 Detroit Lions...but that kind of move should warrant a severe punishment.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

There is no question who the better quarterback is, and as long as your goal is to win games, no matter what sport you're in, you always put your best players out on the field/court/ice.

It's that very simple logic that completely baffles me when I try to find reasoning in the move they made. I understand the thought of starting your future now, but winning and establishing yourself as an elite team is so difficult in the NFL that when you put yourself in a WIN NOW situation, you do what ever it takes to stay in that situation for as long as possible.

Making a move like that sends you in the opposite direction.

It absolutely amazes me, and then it just further disgusts me how Ted Thompson is hailed as a genius for doing it.

To honor our being on a conspiracy forum I'm putting forth the theory that Ted Thompson is working for the Bears or Vikings. All of his moves have been completely contradictory to winning.

reply to post by BlackOps719

Oh man. All I have to say is what goes around comes around.

Your boy is a punk. He took two cheap shots on Matt Schaub, knocked him out for four weeks, then the very next week went for Aaron Rodgers' head.

Despite him having a reputation of being a dirty player, he gets fined a mere $50,000?

Vikings fans cry about his fine making the usual comments of "this is football, it's a rough sport" and "lets just put flags on everyone and play touch football", but when that good, honest, hard-hitting football punishment is coming back their way, they want to cry about that too.

If the league suspends or even fines Cherilus anything close to what they gave Jared Allen, I will lose all faith in the NFL's justice system. It would be clear that the 'money players' can do as they please in this league.

[edit on 12/7/08 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Broncos eke out win vs Chiefs in Denver 24-17; Hillis and Stokely injured - two of our better players. No name D holds on 4th and goal @ 5. One game from clinching AFCWest. Who knows? Who are these guys? Interesting season as a fan with little expectation going in - starting 6 rookies? Now 6 tailbacks out? No Champ? No DJ Williams? Too bad Green Bay doesn't play in our division NovusO; they'd run away with it!
Steelers and Giants are the best teams in football right now.

ColoradoJens

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

How long is Hillis out?

I didn't even hear about his injury. I have him on my fantasy team!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Done for the year. IR this afternoon. Dang it, that guy was/is good. We NEEDED him for our O to work. Oh, well, on to luggage stealing Tatum Bell.

ColoradoJens

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Damn it!!

Well, on to Tatum Bell for me too then. Until Denver running backs stop doing so well, I'm going to keep picking them up.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
How bout them Panthers!!! 300 rushing yards on the vaunted Buc's defense.

Im a Vikes fan first but Carolina is my home team and I go to a ton of their games every year. They are really coming together well late in the season to say the least. I had a chance to go to tonights MNF game and turned it down like a dope.

How nasty was J. Stewart's stiff arm on Rhonde Barber....that was just sick embarassing a pro bowler like that on national tv. Then the very next play DeAngelo Williams does it to him again.

They are going to be one tough team down the stretch if they keep playing like that. I feel bad for any team who draws them in the first round of the playoffs.

And Peppers is playing like his old self again which is bad for opposing QB's.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   

You have to admit that diving for a players knee while he is running and trying to end a career is dirty. No excuse for it. I agree that JA takes some questionable shots on QB's...but this season the league is treating QB's like they are untouchable. You barely hit a QB and they fine you.

Meanwhile 6'7" OT's can purposefully lunge themselves into a D linemans knee and try to injure him on purpose and nothing is said.

It was dirty no matter how anyone tries to spin it. Dont be suprised when Cherilous ends up getting his knee blown out by some DT who "accidentally" rolls up on his leg. Defensive players stick together and they remember who is dirty and who isnt.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Jonathan Stewart is a beast. It is a shame that he jumped early and didn't play for the ducks this year, but clearly.... he was ready for the next level.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Please have a look at how Allen hit Matt Schaub twice.

It doesn't matter who anyone thinks the league is trying to protect. A dirty hit is a dirty hit. Allen plays dirty and he got it coming back his way.

If the league isn't going to give him a proper punishment the players on the other side of the ball will. And you know what? In my mind it's completely justified.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   

...says the Green Bay Packer fan. No agenda there.

Please.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Jonathan Stewart is a horse.....he was a great pick. I watched him run all over the Pac 10 and not many people in these parts knew a lot about him when he was drafted. He is awesome, the perfect compliment to DeAngelo Williams.

Looks like the only weak link for the Panthers right now is Ken Lucas on defense. He got burned like a piece of toast last night on multiple plays. They should bench him for Richard Marshall, give the young guy a shot.

With the Giants losing Plaxico I think Carolina is the team to beat in the NFC.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   

And that is different than a Viking fan saying his hit wasn't dirty how?

If I wanted to ignore the facts I could simply say "says a Minnesota Viking fan" after you complain that it was a dirty hit put on Allen.

There's plenty of videos showing the two hits because everyone else outside of Minnesota sees that it's a dirty hit. My being a Packer fan doesn't change what happened in that game.

Go watch it.

[edit on 12/9/08 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Well, well, well. The Packers are eliminated from playoff contention, are on a four game losing streak, and have the exact same record as the Jets...except reversed.

Hey, but at least we have our future at quarterback!

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
So im assuming the only things Packers fans should be rooting for is the Packers to lose their remaining games?

Well that and the firing of Ted Thompson.
Afterall,look at what he has drafted,a bunch of busts and never will be:s.

And hopefully the Packers will lose the rest of their games,at least they can play for draft position then.

Im dissapointed in the Packers season as well,Rodgers did fine,but that defense....err lack there off,was awful.

And how did Nick Collins and Woodson get to the Pro Bowl?!

Oh well,Go Dolphins!

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Black_Fox
And how did Nick Collins and Woodson get to the Pro Bowl?!

They're tied for 2nd in the league in interceptions....

I think the Packers will lose their final two games. Ted Thompson won't be fired, though, unfortunately.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Very strange season all around. Teams lost games they shouldn't have and several teams who were supposed to stink; Miami, Atlanta, Jets, Cards, are all in the mix. Denver can win their division this week by beating the Bills at home. They cannot win beyond that - they are out of the equation due to being too beat up and too young and having no d.

The Vikes are back to the QB everyone hated at the beginning of the year, suddenly Kerry Collins is looking like Kerry Collins; The Plaxico loss is now Huge for the G-Men, all of a sudden the pundits like DALLAS again (hmm). Everyone's beating bag Donovan McNabb suddenly has it - the Steelers win but can't put anyone away; etc etc... I have no idea who will win out but it will be interesting. Until they are dead, go Broncos!

ColoradoJens

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
LOL!

Hey Dallas....

Losers.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Agreed. God help any team with TO. 12 Pro Bowlers? Hmmm. Too bad even a bad Dallas this year would beat Denver, who I am hoping will win today against a lame Buffalo. We are now on our eighth running back. We have started six different safties this year. Champ out again? (8 weeks?) Hold on Denver, then get clobberd by the Colts...

ColoradoJens

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join