It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2008 NFL Season Thread

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

We had some kool aid of our own. There was anger over the way the Packers treated Favre, but then most of the fan base jumped on Rodgers' bandwagon.

I'm not and haven't been one of those people though. I have always wanted Brett back and have always thought it was a huge mistake.

I don't buy the excuse of 'setting ourselves up for the future'. No. You went 13-3 last year. You're in a win now situation, and you need to keep the players that got you to that situation.

I don't care how good Rodgers' turns out to be. It was a mistake, plain and simple. The huge difference between last year's Jets and this year's Jets, and last year's Packers and this year's Packers isn't a coincidence.

About the game last night though, Rodgers' screwed up more than once, but it was that defense that lost the game for them. Absolutely horrible defense. Aside from the first series, and the last few series' of the game when it was a blowout and didn't matter, the Packers forced no punts, only one field goal, and only one interception, which a wide receiver threw.

That is just awful and they're going nowhere except straight to 5-11 this year if they don't fix that in a hurry.

[edit on 11/26/08 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Drew Brees had a whole lot to do with Monday nights debacle. He is just one hell of an NFL QB these days. Makes me sick to think we could have had him in purple and let him get away. I think maybe it is time for you guys to put Al Harris out to pasture, get some new blood into that secondary. They were getting lambasted, I believe at one point Brees completed like 15 straight passes on them.

Rodgers is going to be ok, I think he will grow into a good player. It has to be annoying to wait around for three years for Favre to retire and then as soon as you think you are going to get your shot he comes back and makes a big old stink. It aint easy playing up to a future hall of famers shadow.

One thing I was really wondering about a while back and never did get an answer on. Why did you guys release KBG in mid season? He was one of the best pass rushers the Pack had. I know he had been injured off and on, but what was that all about?

[edit on 11/26/08 by BlackOps719]

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

KGB lost his starting job to Cullen Jenkins because Jenkins could pass rush and play against the run. KGB was purely a pass rusher and would usually be in the backfield with the running back going right past him on run plays because he was so fast.

Cullen Jenkins is hurt, but Justin Harrell, their number 1 pick in 2007, was being activated off the PUP list and they needed to clear space.

I don't agree with the move because when Harrell has been in there, he's been a complete bust. Why you get rid of a proven talent for an unproven one is beyond me, but with Ted Thompson, it seems to be a trend.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I had Westbrook on the bench for 2 leagues and I believe the loss of 37pts is going to cost me a division championship in one league and failure to make it to the playoffs in the other.
I didn't want to get burned like I almost did with Jacobs last week so when a player is Questionable at best, I figured he would be gimp or not play. 4 friggin td's and 100+yrds rushing is not GIMP!
I am going to go cry in a corner now.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   

NovusOrdoMundi, don't know if you are still following Favre, but Denver plays them this weekend. Must win for Denver but unfortunately, they don't play well in the Meadowlands (I was at the 13-0 Denver loss to the Giants and more recently a Griese inspired loss to los Jets) - also, it's too bad we have the worst defense maybe ever. I envision Favre throwing for 600 yards 6 TD's and 3 interceptions. NY 55 Den 21. - Excepting if, we get up early as Shanny is known for that and Cutler is the week to week question mark - he plays well and maybe the linebackers/safties/D-line/Cornerbacks - oh wait - that's the D - if they can play well, we may be good some day. Look for a guy named Perfecto Nalasco Jr. To start at right D end. Amazing in the Brazillian league.

ColoradoJens

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

This is not good for denver...

The Jets should run for about 300 yards on them... I could see Farve not have a single passing TD... ok.. maybe a couple, it is the broncos... But i see HUGE games on the ground for Thomas Jones and Leon Washington... This game could get ugly... I mean, the Jets game got ugly vs the Titans, and if that can do that to a top 2 Defense, what will they do the the 30ish defense? You are correct, 40-60 points for the Jets is not out of the question... they will be running all day, and they have 2 running backs who can both play big.

The good thing though, is that Denver could Lose out, and win their division... unless the Raiders catch fire...

"I had Westbrook on the bench for 2 leagues and I believe the loss of 37pts"

Man... ouck.. How could you bench Westbrook
Westbrook has been an unholy beast in FF for years now...

[edit on 11/29/2008 by TKainZero]

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Well...

The Packers are done. After tonight they'll be 2 back in the division. They're 3 back of the wild card. They have 4 left.

That spells "done".

By the way, how are the Jets doing this year?

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Yea....
THose Jets...

Just maybe the best team in the AFC...

Even though they are down right now to Denver...

but that is fluky, as Denver got an early Defensive TD, and a big Play from Eddie Royal... I still think Thomas Jones will contine to run over Denver and they will win...

The poor packers...

They get what they deserve though...

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Why are the Steelers absent from this discussion? We easily just defeated the fearsome NE Patriots. Comments, anyone?

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
The STEELERS rock. Best defense on the planet.
And for them to be having the kind of year they are having with all the injuries and a weak offensive line speaks a lot about what it means to man up.

What about ex Stiller Plax?
What a bonehead.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Thanx for some reaction beezwaxes! As far as Plaxico (and while we're here , just what the hell kind if name is that anyway? To quote Joseph Heller in "Catch 22"... "Well, I don't like it..") he has risen to the level of his intelligence(or lack thereof). I think the Peter Principle has caught up to him in a big way. I love guns. Why did a coddled athlete feel he needs a gun in a nightclub? Especially a handgun that he doesn't know how to operate? He is an idiot to himself, his team, and gun owners (and doubtful he ever opted for any freely offered safety classes). Thugs (or wannabees in his case) don't know or understand handguns.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I like guns too and that's the main reason I called him a bonehead, -you have to be one to shoot yourself! All the other foolishness is on top of that.

Well, we have a tough three coming, time for the boys to tighten their chinstraps. I seen Ron Woodson talking on NFL.com a few weeks ago and he said he thinks this defense is better than theirs was. I dunno about that but high praise from someone who knows.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Sorry to go on a tangent off of football there. Back on topic. Yeah. this defense is quite scary. IT SEEMS (IMO) that the the offense is finally waking up (aside from the Big Ben brain farts). Just a yinzer take. I may be wrong, but i didn't see a mention of the Steelers until I brought it up.
Comments, NFL folks?

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

If Denver doesn't turn over the ball they can be good. Hillis is a beast and Cutler made some amazing plays. I still have no idea who their starting safety was, who Haggins is at linebacker, and it appears as if Karl Paymah got glasses last week, in addition to some new legs. Got lucky on a couple of calls but 34-17 on the road (484 total yards) in horrible weather bodes well. Again, the most diffucult to figure out team - losses to KC Oakland and Jax, wins vs Tampa, NO, Atlanta, NYJ? If they are playing good offense, they may be a darkhorse. Great game and I am no longer going to be suprised by what this team does, good or bad.

ColoradoJens

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I cannot belive that Denver won...

Yes... Cutler, Marshell, and Royal are the best the Denver can offer...

They got a bit lucky with a Defensive touchdown on sunday...

With the win, Denver pretty much garentued themselves the Division title...

The Steelers look good too...

But I think people were hyping Cassel a bit too much

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

Denver is hilarious if you think about it. Worst ever D (pass completion percentage vs.) Worst take-away/give-away margin in the league (may have moved up to 30th after 2-1 takeaway margin yesterday). 30th ranked rush D. 28th in the league in points given up. No starting linebackers in last two games. Second most deactivated players in league. 4 tailbacks deactivated. No Champ Bailey. A white tailback and a white middle linebacker? Since when! The O-line with a ROOKIE left guard and two first year startes with TWO sacks allowed? No ELAM? We've lost three at home, Shanny supposedly is going insanse, Cutler, the first official "emo" quarterback has no emotion...and yet we are up by three in our division. What does that say about you, yes, you, SAN DIEGO? How bad must you guys suck if we are up three on you! This is hilarious to watch...I knew the season would be tough, no one picked em to do anything - so this is a little unexpected joy. Cutler is the new QB king. Until next week. So goes Cutler, so go the Broncos.

ColoradoJens

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I'm not surprised the Steelers beat the Patriots even if it was in New England because I picked them to do it. Sure, New England has a pretty good offense, but that means nothing when you're up against the #1 defense in the league.

It's because of that defense that I think the Steelers are going to the Super Bowl.

The Jets...man, what a bad loss. They could have gone up 2 games with 4 left. That pretty much would seal it.

Giants won. No surprise. Nothing more needs to be said.

Cleveland is awful. Nothing more needs to be said.

Oh, so is Buffalo.

Minnesota up by a game in the NFC North. As much as I hate Chicago, I'd rather them win, because I hate Minnesota more.

Hopefully tonight's game is better than the Green Bay one. I'm going to it
I've never been to a Monday Night game so I hope it's a good one!

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I hope you're right about the Steelers and the SB. That's a world championship defense without a doubt. If Ben can stay within himself and not try to force things and they can keep people off his back a little, it just might happen.

If they get there, I think Tomlin is coach of the year. He's surprising the heck out of me and I think he's my favorite post game interview coach of all time. He can answer the question that's asked (ala R. Paul), doesn't whine and, gives the team the credit when credit is due. The rest of the staff deserves kudos too, especially Dick LeBeau of course. -He'll be the first defensive coordinator in the hall of fame.

[edit on 12/2/2008 by beezwaxes]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 04:29 AM
link   
2008-2009 NFL Playoffs

Playoff Seeding - Week 14

[color=#D61920]AFC

1. [color=#4991CA]Tennessee Titans: 11-1
2. [color=#FEC30E]Pittsburgh Steelers: 9-3
3. [color=#2A433A]New York Jets: 8-4
4. [color=#F16523]Denver Broncos: 7-5
5. [color=#163F83]Indianapolis Colts: 8-4
6. [color=#312E8A]Baltimore Ravens: 8-4
-------------------------------------------
7. [color=#0D254B]New England Patriots: 7-5
8. [color=#016C6F]Miami Dolphins: 7-5
9. [color=#005596]Buffalo Bills: 6-6
10. [color=#C9243F]Houston Texans: 5-7
11. [color=#FEC30E]San Diego Chargers: 4-8
12. [color=#F16523]Cleveland Browns: 4-8
13. [color=#8A6F26]Jacksonville Jaguars: 4-8
14. [color=#BCC4C9]Oakland Raiders: 3-9
15. [color=#C9243F]e-Kansas City Chiefs: 2-10
16. [color=#F04E23]e-Cincinnati Bengals: 1-10-1

x-clinch playoff berth
y-clinch division title
z-clinch first round bye
*-clinch homefield advantage
e-eliminated from playoff contention

[color=#035B93]NFC

1. [color=#003C7E]New York Giants: 11-1
2. [color=#B60617]Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 9-3
3. [color=#312E8A]Minnesota Vikings: 7-5
4. [color=#B00739]Arizona Cardinals: 7-5
5. [color=#0293D1]Carolina Panthers: 9-3
6. [color=#6E0B1D]Atlanta Falcons: 8-4
-------------------------------------------
7. [color=#013262]Dallas Cowboys: 8-4
8. [color=#681B11]Washington Redskins: 7-5
9. [color=#276250]Philadelphia Eagles: 6-5-1
10. [color=#DF6108]Chicago Bears: 6-6
11. [color=#D3AF7E]New Orleans Saints: 6-6
12. [color=#D0AC47]Green Bay Packers: 5-7
13. [color=#B00739]San Francisco 49ers: 4-8
14. [color=#2E5880]e-Seattle Seahawks: 2-10
15. [color=#9C8358]e-St. Louis Rams: 2-10
16. [color=#016DAF]e-Detroit Lions: 0-12

x-clinch playoff berth
y-clinch division title
z-clinch first round bye
*-clinch homefield advantage
e-eliminated from playoff contention

Playoff Scenarios - Week 14

[color=#D61920]AFC

[color=#FEC30E]Pittsburgh Steelers can clinch a playoff berth with:
* a win and a New England loss and EITHER:
o a Miami loss OR
o a Miami tie and a N.Y. Jets loss

[color=#4991CA]Tennessee Titans can clinch the AFC South Division title with EITHER:
* a win OR
* a tie and an Indianapolis loss or tie OR
* an Indianapolis loss

[color=#4991CA]Tennessee Titans can clinch a first-round bye with EITHER:
* a win and a N.Y. Jets loss or tie OR
* a tie and an Indianapolis loss or tie and a N.Y. Jets loss

[color=#4991CA]Tennessee Titans can clinch a playoff berth with EITHER:
* a tie OR
* a New England loss or tie and a N.Y. Jets loss or tie
* a New England loss or tie and a Miami loss or tie

[color=#F16523]Denver Broncos can clinch the AFC West Division title with EITHER:
* a win and a San Diego loss or tie OR
* a tie and a San Diego loss

[color=#035B93]NFC

[color=#003C7E]New York Giants can clinch the NFC East Division title with EITHER:
* a win OR
* a tie and a Dallas loss or tie OR
* a Dallas loss

[color=#003C7E]New York Giants can clinch a first-round playoff bye with EITHER:
* a win OR
* a tie and a Dallas loss or tie OR
* a Dallas loss and a Minnesota loss or tie and a Arizona loss or tie

[color=#003C7E]New York Giants can clinch a playoff berth with:
* a tie and EITHER:
o a Atlanta loss
o a Atlanta tie and a Tampa Bay loss

[color=#B00739]Arizona Cardinals can clinch the NFC West Division title with EITHER:
* a win OR
* a tie and a San Francisco loss or tie OR
* a San Francisco loss

Playoff Seeding - Week 14
Playoff Scenarios - Week 14

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Its really very irritating how everyone seems to baby Aaron Rodgers and divert all blame away from him.

In everyone's quick reaction to jump on the Packers' defense and blame them for this loss, logic and statistics are ignored. The Packers defense had 4 takeaways. The Packers defense set up ALL of the Packers points.

What did the Packers offense do? 1-10 on 3rd down. 31 plays, 160 net yards, and 0 points on 8 drives that didn't start because of a turnover. That's 20 yards per possession.

So what happened on those 8 drives? Punt, Punt, Punt, Interception, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt.

Wow, great offense! Especially considering the Texans had the ball 8 more minutes than the Packers. Another sign of a great offense.

The defense has been bad this year. Al Harris clearly cannot cover Andre Johnson. They can't stop the run. This has all been made clear. But the defense didn't lose this game. The horrible offense led by a back-up quarterback lost this game.

How are the Jets doing this year? Even if they lose today, that makes them 8-5. Go ahead and reverse that to figure out the Packers' record. It's not coincidence no matter how much all the Rodgers sympathizers want to think it is.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join