It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Shuttle Challenger blew up WHEN???

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   
1986 people. I watched it as it happend live on tv. I was off work that day. And when it happend, my heart sank and I got a huge deep feeling of shock as it was breaking up and falling to pieces.

1986. 1986. 1986.

"Challenger..go with throttle up"

"Rodger go with throttle up" last voice communication from Challenger

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SystemiK
I'm not suggesting that it DIDN'T happen in 1986. I'm only commenting on how odd it is that I could have such vivid memories of it happening 3 years earlier when I was still in high school. Each time the subject has ever come up I always flash back to that memory of standing in the hallway with a bunch of other students and watching that TV in horror.

It's just so strange to realize that such a vivid memory could be completely wrong. It makes my head spin just thinking about it....

well schools back then OFTEN brought out the TV to watch the shuttle launches because they were less of a common thing.. more of a brand new revival of the space-fever of the 60s.

I remember seein the first orbital launch in 81' at school.

so maybe seeing a different launch is what is in your memory... not the explosion.

-

[edit on 9-12-2008 by prevenge]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Curious_Agnostic

I was born in 1980 also, and I remember quite well seeing the challenger exploding on tv during reading class. I was in 1st grade. This is very strange indeed...

PEACE!!!

P.S. Sorry for the short reply, I dont ever post, but this sparked something...

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by shai hulud

I'll tell you why, because it happened to me that week, January, 1986. The worse Flu was going around, it was horrible, nasty and I got it two days after the Challenger Blew Up! I was in bed through the weekend but(people had started getting it) prior to the challenger. You ask How in the heck I could remember that? I will tell you, because I never ever got sick with even a cold up to that point. I had had stomache viruses and appendicitis before, but never had colds or flus, and let me tell you, I will never forget that flu, it was GOD awful, sweats, fever, terrible back pain, swollen glands, runny nose, sore throat. Ughhh! That's why I remember so vividly the whole week following!

[edit on 5-7-2009 by ldyserenity]

[edit on 5-7-2009 by ldyserenity]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Great thread!

S&F for bringing this matter forward.

As best as i can recall it was 1986 and i was always messed up when i was hearing of absolutely different dates...

Cannot have been before 1983 and no chance it was after 1989. Surprisingly i have heard of dates even out with that range. My recallation is still 1986 and i try to make out how such a known incident has been wandering around under different date stamps...messing me up. Whats going on?

There is definitely something fishy about this date thing.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by GEORGETHEGREEK

Folks, it was January, 1986.

No time slips.

No altered memories...just poor recollections, it would seem.

January. 1986. Unusually cold in Florida that day. Reason for the accident. O-rings in the SRBs weren't designed, never tested for conditions at launch, and especially after having sat out on the pad all night, getting cold-soaked.

Engineers at NASA advised against launch, were over-ruled by management, because of PR concerns.

Management, versus the guys who knew....

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

ok thanks for the insight!

What do you make of people/sites posting other dates?

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by dunwichwitch
Wow, dude.... this is getting too common to just be some sort of coincidence of crazy people.

I remember Ozzy Osbourne died when I was in Rehab back in 2003 (only because I was arrested for weed 3 times in a row at school).

I thought he was dead until I got out of rehab.

Rather odd that you mentioned that because i too was under the impression he had diedright around 2002 but then he showed up on a bad tv show and i only wished he was dead!

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by GEORGETHEGREEK

What do you make of people/sites posting other dates?

I was not aware of that!

I just happened by this thread, since it got a *bump* and showed up in 'recent posts'. I think the OP last year mentioned that Wiki had it correct, just it astonished the OP.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I was eating Capt. Crunch watching Phil Donahue when the Challenger exploded so I am certain it was 1986 that it happened, but you might want to doa little more research to confirm it.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
what blew up in the early 80's?
I was in 2nd 3rd or 4th grade the entire school went to the lunchroom to watch a takeoff, and yes it blew up.
I know it is bad humor, but the joke all the school kids was repeating was, N.A.S.A=need another seven astronauts
I think that is why I remember it so well....
I graduated in 1990
But I also remember the 1986 launch..disaster

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   

The Space Shuttle Challenger blew up WHEN???

1986. I was stationed at Offutt AFB, NE and getting ready for work when I saw it blow up live on TV. I remember how strange it was the NASA announcer thought there was only a malfunction while pieces of the shuttle were raining down into the ocean.

I have a framed poster commemorating the Challenger disaster I bought on one of the anniversaries, and it lists January 28th, 1986.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I was in Washington DC, helping set up a convention, and i remember it was 1986.

I just kept my beeper on that day- did not leave my room, i couldnt believe what happened.

As far as hearing about deaths and the reports not being true, it happens to me all the time!

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by dunwichwitch

Hahaha weed plays a little havoc with memory. LOL.

Ozzy rolled a 4x4 ATV in 2003 I believe. He was in sorry shape but turned out ok and just as messed up as ever.

Challenger was in 86 for certain, at least in my timeline!

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
This is/was the most amazing topic I have ever seen on ATS bar none, and I've been around here for quite a while. My reason? At least for me, this topic "proved" beyond a shadow of a doubt that paranormal activity of some shape or form "does" most definitely exist.

I figured I'd open this topic back up to those people who have joined ATS in the last year and a half, but I'll ask you only this if you haven't read this thread yet. Read the OP's first post, hit the reply button and answer as though this were a totally new topic. THEN read the thread. Please do not Wiki or Google the answer. Just give YOUR memory.

A caveat and a question.....

Caveat: We 1983 and 1989 people are in NO WAY trying to convince the "natives" as it were, that the Shuttle blew up during those years. At least not HERE, in this time line or world line or whatever it's called, in other words, don't bother linking to wikipedia or things you've Googled or whatnot. We KNOW that "here" it happened in '86.

Now for the question: For any of you 1983 people who are still around or any NEW 1983 people.. Didn't the New Orleans Saints go 12-0 sometime in the early 90's? Here? 8-0 is the best start ever, as of last night.

[edit on 9-11-2009 by Zenagain]

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
This timeline shifting stuff is really starting to scare me. I've been following the threads on it, and it rings terrifyingly true to some personal experiences I've had. Also, my roommate has been having "time slips" for a few weeks... she will find herself losing time randomly, and concretely... such as going to pass a car on the freeway, and suddenly that car isn't there....

It seems something is going on -- there's too many people posting about it and also experiencing it around me for it to be pure coincidence.

I'm not sure I believe the collapsing timelines argument, but I don't have a better suggestion at the moment.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I'm a newcomer to ATS but this thread caught my eye. From just my personal memories, I am certain that this event happened in 1983. My family had moved to a new city and we were living in an apartment. We only lived there for a short time in early 1983. I was at home, as were my parents when they called me from my bedroom to tell me that the Challenger had blown up. We then watched the news on tv for a while.

By late 1985, my parents had divorced and my father no longer lived with us. I see the 'actual' date of January 1986 but I just cannot make that date 'fit' into my life as I remember it.

[edit on 24-3-2010 by AidanK]

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I rember clearly as it happened, I was in grade seven..... I rember saying... "boom..... it is going to explode... right.... now!"

And it blew up.... I rember it so clearly because it was such a sick thing to say, and SOOO out of character for me to say, and the WHOLE class heard, and it was a hella weird day...

I was in grade 7, I am 38 now.... so in MY timeline, it happened in 85 in my timeline???

hrmmmm

My first absolute recognised as a timeshift for myself was 1989... coulda had one I didn't notice before that I guess???

edit... oops.. had to be 86 I guess??? but I would have been 13 in grade 7 then, and that makes no sense....

nope..... still confuzzled.... sooooooo bad at math! lol..
edit on 12-5-2011 by mellisamouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Interesting, I graduated high school in 1983, as well, but I remember distinctly watching it in '86, on the first-day of a new job, which was doomed much the same as the Challenger was.

Interesting to note it seems as if people are experiencing time-loss earlier and some very very recently. I never noticed a time-loss before until Daylight Saving Time was changed to two weeks earlier in 2010. Seems as a focal point, at least to my perspective here.

Thoughts?

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
* GULP*... this one also mentions 1989, which gives me shivers..... because that is my timeline first skip memory..... I was in one house in the grade 7 memory, and KNOW I was in a different one in 1989, because I rember grabbing Oreos from the kitchen cuppord now at that moment, but in the OTHER house....

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join