It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Americans are supporting their troops, and they should be ashamed

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snisha
Oh Grand Potentate *Modern Academia*

It seems that I am beginning to discern the "Modus Operandi"

Why do you always have to start a post like this lol
firstly can we keep it ad hominem and secondly stop trying to sound like shakespeare

you presume to bring to the table in these threads you so kindly grace us with. Correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to have serious issues with patriotic Americans in general and "White Caucasians"[sic] in particular.

no problems with caucasians, i love everyone
no problems with patriotic americans

what I do have an issue with though is some people's definition of patriotism.

For me patriotism is being pro-people, pro-your country's economy and perhaps culture.

But for many, patriotism means your country is always right and being pro-govt.

That's what my issue is

I call it blind patriotism to support what is reallly just rich powerful people getting richer and more powerful.

War is a business, terroism is a business.
the sooner we learn this the better.

The one thing that I am beginning to ascertain (and this is why I feel I am starting to see your true colors) is that you fail to find a grain of sympathy for or even pay lip service to ANY AMERICANS who died on 9/11.

Were those people not innocent??? Did they deserve that horrendous fate which was visited on their heads by barbaric cowards???

Unfortunately I cannot answer that question and the truth is neither can you.

If i was an elected official I would show more respect to the 911 victims than your elected officials. Did you know there's still corpses there?
That's become a burial ground, that is disrespectful.

Did you know that many 911 family victims have become anti-war?
Did you know that many 911 family victims wanted more answers from the american govt. but they gave no answers?

Who is being disrespectful truly?

Me or the employers of the troops you seem to support?

I don't need to say that 911 happened because of america's foreign policy, the CIA's 911 commision report does that by itself.

What is the greater issue??? Ultimately it would seem to be that other nations and cultures lash out at this country out of a inherently repressed sense of inadequacy IMO.

sense of inadequacy?
I would more refer to them as ultra-conservative
and they want to stay that way without being bothered
I think your perception of the middle-east is narrow minded
and you just portray them within what is your comfort level

Name for me if you can another nation on this earth, where people are afforded similar opportunities for practicing personal freedom to the degree that is enjoyed in the United States. I know that our system is sputtering, popping and in dire need of overhaul, but to ANY soul that has eyes that truly see and a heart that yearns to realize personal & collective freedom this country really is a beacon of light.

"To some people it is fatal to be recognized by greatness"~~~Mark Twain

There's alot of freedom in the USA, there's more in Canada
but there's also some in the USA
but alot of is an illusion as well

Did you know that it's illegal to speak against the iraqi war?
freedom of speech?

some elderly americans were in a park protesting the iraqi war and policemen arrested them without telling them how.

did you see the videos of the backlash against protesters during the republican convention? Did you?

Because we wouldn't have much of that here in Canada

I find it very ironic that you speak of USA's personal freedoms and you support your troops in foreign occupation.

Because that's exactly what will make you lose your freedom.

You are stuck in the matrix my friend, you believe in the facade which has been fed to you.

So enjoy your freedoms that are left because soon you'll be living in a surveillance/police state.

But ohhh, support your troops though
LOLLL

[edit on 21-2-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Oh Grand Potentate *Modern Academia*

It seems that I am beginning to discern the "Modus Operandi"

Why do you always have to start a post like this lol
firstly can we keep it ad hominem and secondly stop trying to sound like shakespeare

(adj) ad hominem (appealing to personal considerations (rather than to fact or reason)) "ad hominem arguments"
wordnetweb.princeton.edu...

Oh Grasshopper... I have not a doubt that the way in which I have chosen to communicate with you be it the at the beginning, middle or end has a causal effect of eliciting a certain degree of tension from within your being. This is to be expected, I have approached you in a way such as this so as to assist you on your path to knowledge(really!)

So just try to learn from it by reaching a bit deeper within yourself and attempt to discover what it is about me that threatens you. Try to remember to incorporate FACTS and REASON to your argument and don't attempt to use words that you fail to grasp the true meaning of (like ad hominem) it will only serve to destroy the foundation of your argument in the long run.

Believe it or not, this is the genuine way I choose to communicate, I am not at all trying to co-opt a Shakespeare vibe but THANKS for the consideration.
Hope you have a magnificent day!

[edit on 21-2-2009 by Snisha]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Some Americans are supporting their troops, and they should be ashamed

You should be ashamed for even starting this thread. Blaming the troops for decisions made by the American government is about as ignorant as it gets on this site.

You want to be pissed off at the American government, then you do that and that makes sense. The troops are doing their jobs and doing what they are told. They are soldiers and it is their job to do what they are told. Do you have a clue what being a soldier means? Do you have a clue what being in the Army or any other branch of the military means? Do you?

I don't support the war at all on many levels. But I do support the men and women that are over there. It's easy for you to sit at your computer and pass judgement on the men and women fighting the war. Arm chair crap.

George W. Bush and his crew of assholes started this war and made a ton of money off this war (and still are). They should be the ones you are mad at. You're mad at the troops? Ignorance is bliss isn't it! The war wasn't even started with the right country. Saddham Hussein should have been left in power. You want to get mad then get mad at the right people.

People that support our men and women over there should be ashamed? YOU should be ashamed you complete moron!

EDIT to add: Somebody is going to come back with a comment about what I said about Saddham Hussein. He killed and was responsible for killing a lot of innocent people blah blah, etc. The United States of America has killed more Iraqi civilians in this war than Saddham could ever have. That blood is on the hands of George W. Bush and his chronies not the hands of the soldiers that are JUST DOING THEIR JOBS.

[edit on 21-2-2009 by Excitable_Boy]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Excitable_Boy
You should be ashamed for even starting this thread. Blaming the troops for decisions made by the American government is about as ignorant as it gets on this site.

So for an extreme example
we should only dislike hitler and not criticize the nazis?

You want to be pissed off at the American government, then you do that and that makes sense. The troops are doing their jobs and doing what they are told. They are soldiers and it is their job to do what they are told. Do you have a clue what being a soldier means? Do you have a clue what being in the Army or any other branch of the military means? Do you?

/begin robotic voice/

Hello, I am I robot
I do as I am told
I am not human I am a robot
bloop bloirp

It is patriotic to be an automaton
you should be one too

I come piece
you leave in pieces!

I don't support the war at all on many levels. But I do support the men and women that are over there. It's easy for you to sit at your computer and pass judgement on the men and women fighting the war. Arm chair crap.

blind patriotism
to support the most major element of what you don't support
there would be no war without soldiers
time to wake up bud

George W. Bush and his crew of assholes started this war and made a ton of money off this war (and still are). They should be the ones you are mad at. You're mad at the troops? Ignorance is bliss isn't it! The war wasn't even started with the right country. Saddham Hussein should have been left in power. You want to get mad then get mad at the right people.

Ignorance is your side of the field not mine
you support what would destroy what you do not at all support if it was abscent.
bush, blalbal
Obama will continue Bush's legacy
we can't stop them
so it's the troop's we must educate
and ppl like u

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
ModernAcadamia......your responses are so ignorant that it is pointless to even continue having a discussion with you. You are getting what you want on this thread: attention. Whether negative or positive you're getting your attention.

You bring up Hitler and the Nazis. This is an adolescent attempt at argument but that's okay. You are what you are. Most the of the Germans fighting the war in WWII were not on the side of Hitler. They knew he was a lunatic just like the rest of the world did. His own people were plotting to kill him. The soldiers who were drafted into the army or whatever other branch of service would have been shot if they went against what they were told to do. That can also be a consequence for our soldiers during wartime.

Get a clue. Find a topic you can at least argue with some intelligence.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
The beauty about this country is that every America has the right to criticize their country as they see fit but some people choose to take advantage of this freedom and abuse it.

This is exactly why we are losing our freedoms at home, because if we abuse it, we are going to lose it.

Well put. If you can't support and least our troops of this great country, you could at least move elsewhere...

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by sabre11004
Well put. If you can't support and least our troops of this great country, you could at least move elsewhere...

Bill O'reilly said you if criticize our troops then you should shut up

you sound just like him

Congrats!

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
The beauty about this country is that every America has the right to criticize their country as they see fit but some people choose to take advantage of this freedom and abuse it.

This is exactly why we are losing our freedoms at home, because if we abuse it, we are going to lose it.

Yes. We mustn't take our Lord's name in vain.... I'm sorry, but I don't need permission to give my opinion; I don't believe I should have to sit at the kiddy table, just because I put my elbows on the table. I'm not a baby, or dog, and don't deserve to be treated like one. The fact that people accept, and give in to the fact that we can actually "lose our freedom" is enough to make me wonder what the point of free will is.
Alxandro, I'm sorry if it looks like I'm whining to you, but it's just the last time I could stomach hearing the same old "Better of two evils" crap.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
It's very easy for you sit your happy ass up there in Canada and spew your filth about America, isn't it ModernAcademia? Actually MOST Americans support our troops and are proud to do so, myself included. You have YOUR freedom because the U.S.A. spilled their blood for you, asshat. Don't forget there are Canadian troops over there with us, moron. I don't see you reviling them.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Support of our troops.......HELL YEAH!
Support their cause.....not so much!
But as long as they are in harms way in the name of the United States, they will have my respect and support. We elected the officials who have put them in harms way, whether we like it or not, whether we voted for them of not. If anyone is to blame, its the pricks in DC. Maybe one day soon they will get their day of judgement, but it's up to us the people, to make that happen.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
ModernAcademia,
I don't know why but your name reminds me of the old saying that goes: "Those who can't, teach!"

I understand the feelings you have towards our troops but it seems you have your nose pushed up against the wall in front of you you fail to notice there are three other walls and an entire room behind you.

First, if it weren't for troops that have fought for their country YOU would not have the right to comment on just how much you hate them. You'd probably be speaking a different language and the world would be a lot different (for the worse) now, if it were not for the troops you hate so much.

Second, while I also feel it would be nice to have a Utopian society, I know living in such a world will never be possible.
Why? ... because, for one, there is no way in hell you or anyone else can ever guarantee that for every weapon we lay down, that the enemy will do the same!
People are people just as countries are countries, and once you lower your guard, your enemy will be quick to strike Trying to befriend the enemy is like trying to tame a wild animal, too risky and extremely dangerous because once the enemy strikes, the damage has been done. Just look at what's happening in Europe.

Third, you criticize our troops and call them robots for not being able to think for themselves because they are too busy taking and following orders from those in charge. Well guess what? We have something very similar going on at the opposite end of the passive-aggresive spectrum. This is no different than what we are seeing now with regards to that which you proudly base your name on.
Yes, I'm referring to the world of "Modern Academia" where we have Professors preaching there hate and telling young students how they must think, or else. They employ the same intimidation and brainwashing techniques as those you accuse the military of performing on the troops. If you don't follow the orders of the miltary you get court marshalled, likewise if you don't follow the same political beliefs and idealogies of University Professors you run the risk of never graduating.

Yes you have every right to criticize the troop and I'm sure even you will agree this is true freedom but again I state, what you abuse, you will lose, so be careful. If you can't or won't, then at least try being a little objective and denying a little ignorance.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join