It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Americans are supporting their troops, and they should be ashamed

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
Still, I respect your support..... no....let's don't use that term, since it seems to resonate differently for you than myself; I respect your "assistance" that you've rendered to veterans.

how about "compassion." i know for me, i was 100% adament on the fact that soldiers are evil for fighting in this war. having participated in this and the other thread pertaining to the situation, my view has changed somewhat. i am more tolerant in understanding what the soldier and their family is going through. surely a tough position to be in and not one i envy at all.

i still think they should stand up against this, but again, i am not in their position and after talking to a couple ppl who were patient w/ me and my view (LDragonFire, bigfatfurrytexan, A curious cat) and a couple others who have posted, i have since come to understand the other side's position.

i still feel that i can't say that i "support" the troops, but now i feel more compassionate to their plight and so wish to help their families back home in anyway that i can.

[edit on 15-7-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

I think that's a fine term justamomma, and also thank you for your expressions of a desire to help those that need it. Not thanking you on behalf of anyone, just..... thanks.

Maybe I'm a product of old habits...... I'm less concerned with the specific words that the actions they embroil. I think we've all collectively managed to identify that the term "support" resonates as "approval" and "agreement" for some, while for others it means taking care of your own.

Cheers and Peace

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
Maybe I'm a product of old habits...... I'm less concerned with the specific words that the actions they embroil.

i understand this. speaking for myself but also having grown up in the generation i have and seeing how these "vague" terms have gotten so many of us caught up in deception and submission, i am becoming more apt to be specific w/ my terms.

more than anything, i can't wait for the day when the world will wake up to see the leaders we have followed and believed for what they really are.

the fact of the matter is, there are those in my generation fighting this war and i know there intention is right. regardless of what they may have to answer for concerning "the road to hell is paved w/ good intentions," i do understand their good intentions and as a human HAVE to admit how easily we can be led down the wrong path and i, personally, am not w/out sin so much that i have the right to be casting stones.

i have been in the position of a family member whose own seemingly HAD to be called out to serve; and at that time, i was not saying "you should up and leave"...... i didn't, at the time, realize there was that option even though there is always that option. the cost, understandable so, makes us feel we have no choice; and THAT i CAN relate to.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I'm done being nice OP... You are an absolute sh*t.... U2U me and explain HOW theses brave men and women are laying down their lives for nothing! Explain how democracy and freedom in a land rife with dictatorship makes us free of oil. These people would would love nothing better that to starve there own people for the sake of their own oil. They can DROWN in it for all I care! AMERICA will learn better ways to use energy and then who's gonna be on the short end of the stick?

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund
But what a scam that saying is
'Support our troops'
I rolled my eyes when I first heard it, the most 'cloaked' form of propaganda I've ever heard.

Yes, it is. But it is important for everyone not to feel any hate towards the troops. They are victims of lies and deception, and are only doing what most of them feel is right. A lot of them are brainwashed into believing the official story of 9/11, which is why they feel what they're doing is right, and they honestly feel that they are protecting the United States of America from future attack.

People need to understand the level of mind control that is taking place. When it comes to the media, read the headlines, but not the stories. The truth makes a lot more sense then.

[edit on 16/7/08 by NuclearPaul]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Well now.

If I piss anyone off deal with it.This thread sickens me.

As someone thats currently in the U.S. Military ( Army ) I think I need to speak my mind here.After reading some of these posts, I am extremely offended.So, because I'm in the Military I don't know any better I see. Who here has SERVED? Actually, it should be " Who here making ignorant comments about our troops has served? " But to sit their and say "

I joined because I wanted to serve my country and community. I KNEW what I was doing when I joined and always knew I could go to war. So how dare some of you act as if we are idiots or ignorant or uneducated drones.I myself as well as my brothers and sisters in the U.S. Military are NOT responsible for our Governments actions.But, to sit their and say we ( The Soldiers,Marines,Nay,Air Force,Coat Guard ) are some how responsible for the Governments actions and decisions is just disturbing and ignorant at best.And as for saying we should lay down our arms and say NO? Yeah,guess what! Not happening. I seriously doubt the terrorists and insurregents are going to do the same if we were to do that.They would just see an easy way to wipe us out and do it.

Sorry for some of the spelling but i'm really pissed right now.I enjoyed this site ( didn't always agree with it or it's posters at times ) till now.I can not and will not be apart of a site that thinks it's ok to bash the support and morale of our Armed Forces and because of this,I am thinking about deleting my account.

Next time you think a war is wrong or that we are losing or EVEN think the troops are unhappy.Then take the time to ask someone that's been deployed over seas first before you go spewing your crap.We are making good strides in Iraq and Afghanistan and a lot of good is happening.It's a shame our liberal communist media refuses to show the whole story.As like here now I see.

P.S. Support the troops or MOVE!

I'm done.
Spc Merkel
U.S. Army

[edit on 16-7-2008 by Merkel]

[edit on 16-7-2008 by Merkel]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I support the troops 100% but I dont support this war. When it comes down to it, it's the war that is the problem not the soldiers that HAVE to obey to their orders.

Support the troops because they are brave enough to die for protecting our country, we need an Army no doubts about it.

But we don't need this war.

[edit on 16-7-2008 by porschedrifter]

[edit on 16-7-2008 by porschedrifter]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I just want to throw this out there...If a man uses tools to build something horrible and destructive...you would hate the man not the tools, correct? Right, but without the tools how would the man be able to build it?

*Please excuse me from reffering to men and woman as tools, I mean no harm*

All i'm trying to say is that the men and women of the military, whether they are aware of it or not, are further contributing to this imperial war mongering for the benefit of king george and his cohorts.Sometimes do as you're told just don't cut it.

I'd also like to state(i've said this before)...There is no such thing as a "War on terror"...Terrorism is not something you can't go to war with...and labeling everyone that disagrees with you a terrorist and trying to kill them does not constitute a "War".

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
just to chime in here....

....someone who does not support our troops likely does not deserve any of the freedoms that they are given by our troops.

I have to admit that this kind of logic never sits well with me, but I rarely hash it out because to do so would smack of not supporting our troops...which I do.

During the REVOLUTIONARY WAR...those soldiers gave us freedom.
During the CIVIL WAR...those soldiers died to give freedom to Americans.
WWI and WWII...a moral war of sorts and then a defensive one after we were attacked at Pearl Harbor. Still a case could be made that our involvement in these wars directly and positively affected our long term freedoms and viability as a nation.

VIET NAM ..its hard for me to find the logic that somehow our involvement there was protecting our way of life and freedoms at home?

AFGHANISTAN...Yes, we were attacked by terrorists that were being trained and harbored there and they refused to give them up. These same terrorists hit us at home. By all means we had to go in and go in heavy. I don't think we have given Afghanistan and the Taliban/Al Quiada nearly as much attention as they deserve.

IRAQ...A UN Directive ignored...Faulty intelligence about WMDs...How does occupying and fighting an insurgancy in Iraq "give us our freedoms" here at home? If anything our freedoms have eroded under new laws like the ironically named "Patriot Act".

I respect, and yes support, our troops because most (not all) of them BELIEVE they are fighting for our country which I love. Like if your brother erroneously starts a fight in a bar and everybody pounces on him...you know he is wrong, but you love him and have to back him up regardless and try to minimize the damge he takes...but ideally you are going to get him the hell out of there as soon as possible.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11
Like if your brother erroneously starts a fight in a bar and everybody pounces on him...you know he is wrong, but you love him and have to back him up regardless and try to minimize the damge he takes...but ideally you are going to get him the hell out of there as soon as possible.

the BEST analogy i seen on this and pertaining threads.
i think for a lot of ppl, it is not the idea they are disagreeing with so much as the way the word "support" can and is defined.

we feel bonded to our men and women over there and bc we don't support this war, some of us want nothing more than for them to be out of there.

that is not to disrespect those who have died and been injured in the war and their intents, but rather because we do respect their value as both humans and as our citizens.

edited to add: i did not take that analogy to mean that the troops as individuals started this war and hope others don't take it to mean that as well, but can see the point of this analogy

[edit on 17-7-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
What have the troops done wrong?

Um, being brainless?

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by counterterrorist

I completely agree with your post
It's amazing after how much truth has been exposed there's still sheep

how much more truth that corporations will allow is needed?

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by homo_borg

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
What have the troops done wrong?

Um, being brainless?

veery funny

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
It's so sad to see people getting affended by the idea that we should stop supporting these troops, in what they're doing, and start trying to get the ones that are there back home. Disagreements among rich big wigs should be just that. I don't own a car, so don't drive, and could really not possibly care any less for oil. The america today could burn to the ground tomorrow, and I would be among many people celebrating. But in the long run, I'll still be shipping out to basic next month. I have a family to support, and since the land has all been covered with corporate monsters, I can't really go and live off of it. So, I have to fall in line, like everyone else. I've made it pretty clear to all of my family and freinds, that I don't want their "support", because a #ing bumper sticker is not going to get me home. "Support our troops" just takes our attention away from how horrible war is, in the first place, and focuses it on those poor victims (the soldiers). It's funny how they've hidden "support war" whithin something like praying for your child's safe return.

[edit on 20-2-2009 by Nerds]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by homo_borg

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
I know, I don't hate the soldiers
I feel bad for them in fact
They don't know better, that's the point of this thread

So when/if the time comes that they do get a functioning brain to know any better (and that's a big IF), then that's the only time they should get the support of the American people. Not before.

Supporting the military in the US must be done according to the Constitution. If these wars are in fact illegal, support would be that which aims to end this conflict. Support should not be confused by personal opinion. What you are obligated to support is The United States of America according to The Constitution, period.

Our military operates by a strict chain of command. Strategizing a plan for war is not the responsibility of our troops. Their purpose is to carry out individual objectives the best they can and keep themselves alive. Officers, not soldiers, are responsible under oath for decisions regarding illegality. They owe it to the men under their command, as well as their country, to follow The Constitution. Wherever this responsibility is not upheld throughout the chain of command, should be dealt with according to provisions set forth in The Constitution. This goes all the way to the Commander in Chief, as well as Congress. This is "Supporting the Troops"!

Personally, I have not paid any federal tax since early 2006. I make a conscious effort to protest these wars as best I can. I withhold federal funding, sign petitions, voice my contempt everywhere and anything else I can think of? I recently closed both of my businesses. I had two companies, an L.L.C. and an S-Corporation, and have not filed income tax returns for two years on either of them!

We are obligated as Americans to uphold The Constitution. While everyone seems to be concerned only for "the troops", I hear little support for the country itself? This makes our nation look like posers, or frauds, when lack of interest and education is what it really is. We have a strange order in our priorities sometimes which makes us look rather confused? Maybe a campaign to reeducate America on its governments laws and procedures is needed? I wish we would take back the pride and glory that once made this country great! Peace.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
You know what I dont have respect for, people who sit in their homes, on their computers, eating their fritos, while scratching their geeky little heads so much that it causes them to become so ignorant of the world around them that they start comming up with their own crazy beliefs on how the world around them really operates. You start feeding yourself so much BS you actually start believing the nonsense that you are spewing.
God what I would do to punch these naysayin monkeys in their clueless little heads. Oh and if you took offense to what was just written, then yes, this was directed towards you.

OOH F*ckin RAH!

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Well, I'm well-educated, well-informed, and a veteran of the US armed forces and I proudly not only support our troops, but our nation's cause, as well.

I think you should be ashamed.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

Don't let it get to you, brother. It's no different than any other subject, Americans have a lot of catching up to do!

To those criticizing intelligence. Besides it being rude and disrespectful, soldiers have little say in decisions made in war. How the hell can you point fingers at soldiers? They didn't start it, they can't stop it, and they are NOT responsible for what happens in it! They are fighting it, that's all.

Brainless is thinking soldiers can start and end wars at will! Brainless is thinking those that start wars are fighting in them? If that were true there would be no wars. So if you're looking to bytch and blame somebody about war, brainless is thinking that somebody is a soldier. Peace!

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
For many of the reasons you stated in your OP, I support my brother.
I know where this is coming from. But it's not as black and white as you paint it.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Opinions are irrelevant, innocent people are dying.

Tell innocent middle eastern people that died, tell their families it was about opinion.

Oh Grand Potentate *Modern Academia*

It seems that I am beginning to discern the "Modus Operandi" you presume to bring to the table in these threads you so kindly grace us with. Correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to have serious issues with patriotic Americans in general and "White Caucasians"[sic] in particular.

I have not a doubt that you will cite with proper pomposity that you march forth proudly with mewling minions of light skinned, like minded supporters who decry "The War" and the "Innocent Middle Eastern People" who have died as a result of the collateral damage inflicted by the U.S. military.

I would never attempt to argue that war is not HELL, I truly wish we were not in the position of being compelled to fight this war but that is not the case.

The one thing that I am beginning to ascertain (and this is why I feel I am starting to see your true colors) is that you fail to find a grain of sympathy for or even pay lip service to ANY AMERICANS who died on 9/11.

Were those people not innocent??? Did they deserve that horrendous fate which was visited on their heads by barbaric cowards??? I'm sure you will just attempt to cast back some paltry crap referencing "American Imperialism" or some similar balderdash but that is merely attempted deflection of the greater issue.

What is the greater issue??? Ultimately it would seem to be that other nations and cultures lash out at this country out of a inherently repressed sense of inadequacy IMO.

Name for me if you can another nation on this earth, where people are afforded similar opportunities for practicing personal freedom to the degree that is enjoyed in the United States. I know that our system is sputtering, popping and in dire need of overhaul, but to ANY soul that has eyes that truly see and a heart that yearns to realize personal & collective freedom this country really is a beacon of light.

"To some people it is fatal to be recognized by greatness"~~~Mark Twain

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join