It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by Anti-Tyrant
I don't know why, but the image the title of this thread conjured in my mind was that of an old western shoot-out.
You know, when everyone shuts their windows and doors and cowers inside their homes?
Originally posted by Queen Maeve
"Isolationist" has too many negative connotations and political bagage.
I prefer to say "Self-Contained and Non-Interventionist" borrowing the later bit from Rep. Dr. Ron Paul.
"Self-Contained and Non-Interventionst" : if a political party offered that vision for America, I would vote for them in a heartbeat.
Originally posted by BladeGlint
Be careful what you wish for.......
Imagine if every country did this.
Us Aussie's will do alright.....
Edit: (little spelling whoopsy)
[edit on 11-7-2008 by BladeGlint]
Originally posted by mopusvindictus
it's alot of money, europe should defend itself, Europe borders Russia and the mideast not us... even as a Jew, Isreal, has a problem we can't fix or might get jacked trying... these just aren't american issues we are risking and spending everything
Originally posted by Wotan
reply to post by mopusvindictus
I think you have missed the whole point of what I was saying and of what Isolationism is ........
If you want to be Isolated you dont need:- A large Navy, especially carriers, large military as its now just a defence force, you dont need overseas bases as there is no longer any need. Isolationism is inward not outward projection, hence you no longer need a large military .... just enough to defend your country.
Isolationism is withdrawing back to ones own country and be dammed to the rest of the world. Basically you put the walls and shutters up.
You then concentrate on industries within your own border and spend the taxes on your own infrastructure, like health, education, job creation, energy - the idea is to become totally self-sufficient and nationally debt-free.
Originally posted by Wotan
If i was the US President, this is what I would do ......
1. Return the US to an Isolationist/Non-interventionist state.
2. Recall the Military from overseas, except from its own territory, ie Guam.
3. Reduce the Military manpower and scrap/mothball most of the Carriers.
4. Reduce and redirect some of the Military Budget to Nation Building/Protection projects - ie, give NASA more funding for 'big' projects.
5. Build a ''Great Wall of America'' across the southern border with Mexico from coast to coast - at least 50ft high - a bit like Hadrians Wall across Scotland.
6. Create a welfare state - where ALL Americans would benefit from FREE healthcare.
7. Make Lobbying from private industry illegal. Reduce political funding (capped) for campaigns to encourage smaller political parties to take part in the process - to make it truly democratic.
8. Repatriate illegal aliens to their own country.
There, you have a start.
Originally posted by Daedalus24
reply to post by Wotan
the thing that I find funny is that your location says Isle of Wright, if that's so, what say do you have in American domestic and foreign policy?