It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Female Survivalists.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Girl look on the net download urself some survival videos and read some tutorials start by the basics and most important stuff, how to collect/purify water and shelter building and so on, food plants its all about knowledge and your worst enemy is bordom and trying not to go insane thats the biggest danger when it come to survive into an isolated area alone... i was even told that an imaginary friend is better then none in a survival position cuz u just gotta keep ur mind busy. collect water stay dry/clean as much as possible ensure to have clean water rations. Know edible plants, animals, insects also animals that are most common to have human transmitable deseases... cook everything properly. How to start fire with bow n' arrow or a glass lense... worms have alot of proteines
and pine trees needles contain ALOT of C and A vitamines which u'll be needing
boil em with water and drink it as an infusion it actualy doesnt taste that bad once u get used to it
And incase u really cannot find any water source animal blood or chew the eyes can act as a substitute
thats what i was showed in survival camps also first aid and medical knowledge will save ur life... a wound can get infected VERY easy in the bush and not knowing how to treat infection or having no medical knowledge can or will most likely be fatal... but u know survival is all about how much you know about the environment your in... I was shown how to survive with nothing but a knife in the woods for months but get me in a desert and im dead within a week... so the more you read and learn the better are your chances.

[edit on 10-9-2008 by _R4t_]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Oh and i was about to forget my personal favorite
my instructors when i was in a military survival camp always stressed the importants of condoms
have ALOT of them in the woods lol ... they can be used for just about anything and and u can use them u collect water in so many possible ways u wouldnt even imagine... lol
plus they can be used if you cut our arm bad or leg u cut one end and slide your arm into it... it'll stop dust or water that might have bacteria or stuff u wouldnt want to get in

you can get started there for some basic knowledge and stuff to know

www.wilderness-survival.net...

[edit on 10-9-2008 by _R4t_]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by _R4t_

Hmmmmm...Condums...intresting. I had not considered this. Do you know what the shelf life is on them??

Thanks,
Orangetom

P.S. Disregard that question..I just looked it up on line.

Most condoms have a shelf life of four years if kept in a cool, dry place.

[edit on 10-9-2008 by orangetom1999]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
fair point about condoms.

thats the main thing women have to worry about.. preventing (rape and) pregnancy. "breeders" will be in demand (kidnapped) and there are not that many natural remedies for contraception. I think there are plants that induce abortion but that topic might be a bit too "real" for ATS.

[edit on 10-9-2008 by riley]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Nah, tell it like it is lady, don't hold back, this is the survival section afterall

Chastity belts, while often poked fun at as a way of some absent warlord keeping his missus from straying were also a way of preventing her being raped if she was out and about. Maybe this was the main reason for them? Who knows?

While they are not exactly 'off the shelf' attire, I reckon if you used a small enough, but tough padlock, some jean-type rivets, a chain + a creative tailor / seamstress you could have one made yourself.
Just tell 'em your going to do NGO work in some rough country and see what you and they can come up with.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by riley

Pisum sativum - L.
Garden Pea

The seed is contraceptive, fungistatic and spermacidal[218]. The dried and powdered seed has been used as a poultice on the skin where it has an appreciable affect on many types of skin complaint including acne[7]. The oil from the seed, given once a month to women, has shown promise of preventing pregnancy by interfering with the working of progesterone[218]. The oil inhibits endometrial development[240]. In trials, the oil reduced pregnancy rate in women by 60% in a 2 year period and 50% reduction in male sperm count was achieved[240].

www.pfaf.org...

Not exactly perfectly effective by any means,but there are at least some measures that can be taken to reduce the chances of unwanted pregnancy 'in the wild'

There are other plants listed for their contraceptive properties for other parts of the world ..that was just a UK one I stuck in.

www.pfaf.org...[]=Contraceptive

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by WatchRider
Nah, tell it like it is lady, don't hold back, this is the survival section afterall

Chastity belts, while often poked fun at as a way of some absent warlord keeping his missus from straying were also a way of preventing her being raped if she was out and about. Maybe this was the main reason for them? Who knows?

thought about this and agree they would've been more to protect from rape.. young women would not have been in a rush to lose their virginity knowing that their future depended on it being intact.

While they are not exactly 'off the shelf' attire, I reckon if you used a small enough, but tough padlock, some jean-type rivets, a chain + a creative tailor / seamstress you could have one made yourself.
Just tell 'em your going to do NGO work in some rough country and see what you and they can come up with.

I can imagine it now.. bolt cutters all round.

Actually they have come up with a modern day chastity belt or sorts:

www.rapestop.net...

[edit on 10-9-2008 by riley]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Thanks so much for the info/links on birth control. I have an entire shelf of books on medicinal/edible plants and none of them have that info in them. Star for you! (I've been looking for it for quite a while, too).

Also, the condom suggestion was great. I'd heard it before but had completely forgotten it. They would be useful (and compact).

Woton? Chewlip? Did either of you go to the retreat/training? Anxious to hear what you learned. Please share with the rest of the class.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by _R4t_

R4t,

I would be interested to see the list of uses for a condom from your training days in the military. This would make for an interesting read. The main one for my limited knowledge other than the designed usage is as a protective cover for the end of a rifle barrel.
Nonetheless ...can you post such a list for us??

Riley,

thats the main thing women have to worry about.. preventing (rape and) pregnancy.

Somehow Riley, in a survival situation or TEOTWAWKI I don't think this would be the main concern of women.

I agree with what Whitewave posted some time ago to the effect that ...women are always in a survival mode. It is to bad more men are not aware of this concept.

If I was by myself or with a group and this was the main worry of the women in this group I would seriously think about getting rid of them/banish or going somewhere else...removing myself from that group.

I do not think much of or respect a woman for whom her reproductive liabilities are above the welfare of her children or family. Such a woman and her family would be left by the wayside by me very quickly. High maintenance.

I also don't think much of a man with the same mentality..this too would be high maintenance.

I do not have time, labor, respect or RISK for a woman's insecurities in this arena. In like manner I don't enjoy listening to a bunch of men and their insecurities in the same arena.

I would have time, labor, respect, and RISK for a woman who has her family's considerations first....not her considerations first. She is secure in herself..not insecure. There is a huge difference in the caliber of these two types of women. It is the same with men.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 11-9-2008 by orangetom1999]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Riley,

thats the main thing women have to worry about.. preventing (rape and) pregnancy.

Somehow Riley, in a survival situation or TEOTWAWKI I don't think this would be the main concern of women.

You are a guy who obviously has no idea of what would concern women under such circumstances.

I do not think much of or respect a woman for whom her reproductive liabilities are above the welfare of her children or family.

Clearly. How about the dangers of childbirth? Breaches, problems with the cord, internal bleeding? Sorry but in situation x (especially the beginning of it) I think most women would prefer access to someone with some actual medical expertise before putting themselves in the situation where a C section may have to be required in the middle of no-where.
This might require postponing or avoiding pregnancy.. what is so selfish about that? 200 years ago death through childbirth was THE cause of death in women. If you want to talk about risk it was pretty common for the babies to die too so don't tell me that wanting to prevent pregnancy is somehow "high maintenance" or anti-family; there may already be other kids that need their mother. Situation X would not be just winding the clock back 200 years either.. no infastructure, no clinics.. no law? I'd rather not have to go through labour and give birth while on the run from raiders or trying to find a water source hoping I stumble across someone who would be willing to play midwife. You make it sound like giving birth (and rape) wouldn't be a big deal.. not a main concern for women? Get real.

[edit on 12-9-2008 by riley]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I'm going to have to agree with Riley on this one. Rape would be a major consideration in sitx.

As a single mom with no man to protect me/child, I must survive in relatively good shape (uninjured) in order to be able to continue taking care of my child.

If the choice came down to allowing myself to be gang-raped in order to buy time for my child to escape, yeah, I'd probably put up a minor struggle and just accept that I'm going to die. It is entirely possible to be raped to death. (remember the Old Testament story?). It would probably take time to die from that though, allowing my child time to run far, far away.

Pregnancy, STD's, ruptured uterus, PTSD, are all just a few of the hazards of rape. Death is all but inevitable in a prolonged (or particularly violent) gang rape.

I don't think it's high maintenance at all for a woman to want to avoid such a fate at all costs. It's good planning and common sense.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave
I'm going to have to agree with Riley on this one. Rape would be a major consideration in sitx.

As a single mom with no man to protect me/child, I must survive in relatively good shape (uninjured) in order to be able to continue taking care of my child.

If the choice came down to allowing myself to be gang-raped in order to buy time for my child to escape, yeah, I'd probably put up a minor struggle and just accept that I'm going to die. It is entirely possible to be raped to death. (remember the Old Testament story?). It would probably take time to die from that though, allowing my child time to run far, far away.

Pregnancy, STD's, ruptured uterus, PTSD, are all just a few of the hazards of rape. Death is all but inevitable in a prolonged (or particularly violent) gang rape.

I don't think it's high maintenance at all for a woman to want to avoid such a fate at all costs. It's good planning and common sense.

How ironic. Early in this thread, I stated what would be needed to be done to avoid that kind of thing, and was repeatedly insulted, and (I find this one funny) called a cave man. Yet, when women come on this thread and talk about it, it's like the light from God has shined down on this thread.

(No offense meant to you whitewave)

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by sir_chancealot

None taken. You weren't called a cave man by me, brother.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Well said Whitewave.. very scary scenario. I'm not sure how I would react if I had kids with me but a shotgun would sure help. Hard to get in Aus now though.

I think pack rapes would be a very real possibility. When it comes down to it rape is already very common.. imagine groups of young men (rebels/militia) with no law or women of their own? Would they say no when it's their turn to join in on a pack rape? Defending oneself from "normal" rapes would be very different however as swinging an axe and running doesn't require much strength.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
reply to post by riley

Pisum sativum - L.
Garden Pea

The seed is contraceptive, fungistatic and spermacidal[218]. The dried and powdered seed has been used as a poultice on the skin where it has an appreciable affect on many types of skin complaint including acne[7]. The oil from the seed, given once a month to women, has shown promise of preventing pregnancy by interfering with the working of progesterone[218]. The oil inhibits endometrial development[240]. In trials, the oil reduced pregnancy rate in women by 60% in a 2 year period and 50% reduction in male sperm count was achieved[240].

www.pfaf.org...

Not exactly perfectly effective by any means,but there are at least some measures that can be taken to reduce the chances of unwanted pregnancy 'in the wild'

There are other plants listed for their contraceptive properties for other parts of the world ..that was just a UK one I stuck in.

www.pfaf.org...[]=Contraceptive

Thankyou for posting this. bookmarked it as like whitewave I have lots of herbal remedy books yet there is nothing on contraception in them.
I'm very surprised to learn that humble garden pea has such uses though.. easy enough to grow and to remember.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by riley

Riley,
I must have read your previous post incorrectly. Let me see again...

thats the main thing women have to worry about.. preventing (rape and) pregnancy

If the main thing in a group with which a woman concerns herself is rape and pregnancy....she must not be concerned with the welfare of anyone else in the group. The usage of the phrase.."main thing" is what caught my eye here. Was this a mistranslation or misreading?? Everything else is minor to her...verses the concept of "Main thing."

You are a guy who obviously has no idea of what would concern women under such circumstances.

You are probably correct here Riley. If I was with a group I would be thinking about the group welfare..not certain individuals in it...and their value systems.

Also Riley...I don't think 200 years ago...childbirth was THE cause of death among women. Granted, more women died in childbirth than today but I don't think it was the number one cause of death of women. I say this because the population would not be where it is today if this were so. If this were as you state ...most of us would not be here today.
There are numerous olde graveyards around here in Olde Virginia with dates going back to the early 1700s. It is obvious that there were more women and children both dying from the process of childbirth than today. This is easy to tell just by the dates on the headstones.
However...I will also remind you of something else also clearly known by reading the headstones ...the men so often and noticeably died off before the women. This has not changed today. It will not change in situation X.
Hardly a word is ever spoken about this in these kinds of posts. The men are pretty much forgotten. Even in posts like these...the men are implicit...along with their risks...next to the importance of the "main thing."

Whitewave,

The term used was "The main thing", not major consideration. I am not saying that rape or pregnancy is not a major consideration. I am saying it is not the main thing. I hope you understand the difference here??
I am saying that the welfare of the family or group is the main consideration...male and female. By this I mean ..food, clothing, et al.

This is no different whether single with children or in a group.
I am not against good planning or common sense Whitewave. I just don't go along with the concept that rape or pregnancy is the "main thing" in a survival situation. And women are always in a survival mode.....if I may quote whom I consider an authority in this.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
reply to post by riley

Whitewave,
The term used was "The main thing", not major consideration. I am not saying that rape or pregnancy is not a major consideration. I am saying it is not the main thing. I hope you understand the difference here??
I am saying that the welfare of the family or group is the main consideration...male and female. By this I mean ..food, clothing, et al.

This is no different whether single with children or in a group.
I am not against good planning or common sense Whitewave. I just don't go along with the concept that rape or pregnancy is the "main thing" in a survival situation. And women are always in a survival mode.....if I may quote whom I consider an authority in this.

Thanks,
Orangetom

O.T.
You sly dog.

I agree with the semantic differences you pointed out. I understood what Riley meant but I can understand how a man may have misunderstood it. No, it is not the "main thing" but it is a "major consideration".

That settled, I would have to take issue with the point you made about men dying off before women. It was hardly the woman's fault that men are genetically weaker. This is not a sexist statement. Ask a geneticist. Men ARE genetically weaker. (Which is not the same as physically weaker, btw). Women were not pampered and were not the "wildlife" that many are today. They often worked alongside their men in the fields, COULDN'T take off their tops as the men could to cool off, often cranked out 8 or 15 kids (very devastating to the body), got up earlier, went to bed later, etc., etc.

When I say that men who have women/families in sitx are often the first ones shot, I do not mean that they are expendable but that they are considered (by other men intent on harming the group) to be the only serious impediment to carrying out the evil intent. Women fortunate enough to have a man in sitx should be aware of this phenomenon and be prepared to protect their man since he is often the only barrier between them and a horrible death.

Women ARE always in survival mode whether they consciously realize it or not. Many women (and men) today have become so far removed from their natural state that this may no longer be entirely true anymore. Just like the squirrels in my neighborhood that have become so accustomed to cars in the street that they no longer get out of the way when a car comes barreling down the road, so also, many women today invite violence by acclimatizing themselves to its' many environments.

As my grandma used to say: if you want to avoid the fruit of sin, stay out of the orchard.

I think a lot of women today invite violence from men (not justifying here, just stating an observation) by being like a lamb that smears itself in mint jelly and then callously and stupidly walks up to a lion to taunt it. As DarkElf said, it's all about respect.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

LOL LOL...Whitewave...Sly Dog...LOL LOL.

I am reading your reply and chuckling to myself. You can be pretty sly yourself.

Many women (and men) today have become so far removed from their natural state that this may no longer be entirely true anymore. Just like the squirrels in my neighborhood that have become so accustomed to cars in the street that they no longer get out of the way when a car comes barreling down the road, so also, many women today invite violence by acclimatizing themselves to its' many environments.

I would once again be hard pressed to debate this point with you. I too notice this trend in the people surrounding me.
We were moving some heavy loads with a crane tonight and one of the guys in our group.. we had to yell at him to get off his cell phone...and pull his head out of his .......well...backside ...to put it politely and civilly. When you have serious demanding work going on ...involving RISK...pay attention!!! Don't substitute your beliefs and needs for the requirements or survivability of the group/team. Pay attention to the task at hand....and stow or get rid of those insecurities/liabilities including the bloody cell phone!!!
Well perhaps you can now see the source of my irritation with such. But if I recall enough about your job or trade...this is also not a new phenomenon to you as well.
I don't change my thinking in this because I put my equipment in my locker at the end of the night and go home. Also when I am subject to such...it is not semantics..it is quite real to me. I use only one definition in describing this phenomenon.

As to women inviting violence today ..I tend to agree..you see more and more women doing the things that men are often ridiculed for doing. This must be what equality has become.

No women were not pampered back then and much of that was not that long ago. I know that my mother worked very hard raising the four of us kids...much harder than most women today and also much harder than do many men today. It was even harder on both sexes in my grandmother and grandfathers time. As I recall Dark Elf or another stating they were not " shrinking violets." I agree.

Oh...and I am not making the point that it is a woman's fault that men die off before them. Only that it hardly gets mention...and that men do in fact die off noticeably younger. I am at a loss as to where you got that impression that I was saying that it was a woman's fault.
My point was that men are hardly mentioned next to the "importance" of the "main thing."

When I see this kind of thing ..the "main thing"...in a post..I am reminded of a Catholic position...called the "Holy of Holies."

It is a real let down simply because I don't think it is the "main thing" or the "Holy of Holies."

We are talking survival here...not stepping out on a Friday or Saturday night. I believe we discussed this in a post some time back. If that is all a woman has...the "main thing" ..to me she has nothing...children or no children. That is just me...I require more from the women around me than the "main thing." More of a liability to me than an asset. And I mean good times as well as bad. I am just not interested in a lot of a woman's insecurities. A man's either for that matter.

Oh...and wise woman..your grandmother!!!

Thanks for your post,
The Olde Sly Dog,
Orangetom

[edit on 13-9-2008 by orangetom1999]

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   

If the main thing in a group with which a woman concerns herself is rape and pregnancy....she must not be concerned with the welfare of anyone else in the group.

Wow. I mentioned rape and pregnancy and straight away I'm anti-family and women who fear rape are not concerned with the welfare of the rest of the group? What selfish wenches.. they must be femnazis or something.

Regardless of gender.. in situation X SAFETY would be the THE main thing to worry about, then food, then shelter. Bit pointless worrying about food and shelter if you're dead or brutalised.

Frankly if "the group" sees women not wanting to be raped and impregnated as a "liabilty" (your word) .. they can do without women as clearly they've got no interest in protecting them anyway.

..and this:

When I see this kind of thing ..the "main thing"...in a post..I am reminded of a Catholic position...called the "Holy of Holies."

Why on earth would you be reminded of that? Not wanting to be raped is not somehow worshipping the vagina.. thats a very contemptuous position to take. Rape is an issue all women have to address.

..and so bloody if we're not talking about risks men face? the thread is about female survival yet you seem to want to make it about worshipping female sexuality at the expense of everyone else.

[edit on 13-9-2008 by riley]

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by riley

Oh no Riley....R4t mentioned multitudes of uses for condoms and you mention rape and pregnancy.

I am still interested in the multiple number of uses other than the designed usage for them. However upon Googling it I found that there is already a post on that topic of multiple uses on ATS survival forum here...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have purchased a couple of boxes of surgical gloves and put them away. Same problem here as condoms ...shelf life. I was not thinking of condoms until reading R4t's post above.

I'm sorry Riley...even in humor this is wasted on me..and for reasons alluded to above in my reply to Whitewave.

Wow. I mentioned rape and pregnancy and straight away I'm anti-family and women who fear rape are not concerned with the welfare of the rest of the group? What selfish wenches.. they must be femnazis or something.

Also...

Regardless of gender.. in situation X SAFETY would be the THE main thing to worry about

You did not mention safety ..you mentioned rape and pregnancy...also nothing about anyone else..group or no group. Strictly rape and pregnancy..and in a topic about multiple uses for condoms. I saw no mention of sex or sexuality in R4ts post..but his emphasis was on multiple uses for condoms.

Frankly if "the group" sees women not wanting to be raped and impregnated as a "liabilty" (your word) .. they can do without women as clearly they've got no interest in protecting them anyway.

Is this "entitlement"..or "Victim dictum" as pertains to the concept of pyramiding the "main thing" into performance expectations of others even at great risk?? I am having difficulty thinking this through...you are not being clear here??

I am sorry Riley but your drama level makes it difficult to see your point.

My point was to the effect that if a woman has no other skills or talents in situation X or TEOTWAWKI...other than the "main thing," she has little worth protecting at huge expense and liabilities to others. It would be the same with men...with no valuable talents other than their consumption levels. Do you understand the difference??

I put my own brother out of my home after suffering him and his consumption levels for over a year...and for the same reasons. High maintenance..no real skills or talents, only consumption levels.

Oh..speaking of the "main thing"...I suffered this nonsense again tonight during overtime on the ship. We were assigned to install a large steam valve in the overhead of the engine room. 'With three sizable flanges and located in an awkward location, we were hard pressed to meet the timetable as others were depending on us finishing such that other evolutions could begin.
During the course of our difficult labors the two other guys began talking about tonight's game...I guess it is football. Don't really care as I don't watch sports. But my point is that the conversation was taking away from the job focus and these two other guys were talking about the game..not focusing on what tools and materials needed to be passed into or out of the job. I had to remind them to keep focused on the job. This was obviously their "main thing." It was to me nonsense. I don't worship at the altar of the gods of sports. As you can tell I also do not worship at the altar of the other "main things" out here.

..and so bloody if we're not talking about risks men face? the thread is about female survival yet you seem to want to make it about worshipping female sexuality at the expense of everyone else.

Sorry Riley...but I get the impression this is the tack you are wont to take by your switching to rape and pregnancy after a topic line about multiple uses of condoms. Informations usable to both males and females.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 13-9-2008 by orangetom1999]

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join