It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horror films Are they're hidden messages?

page: 1/
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
i've wanted to post this for a long time now but i never really got round to it until now obviously but i've been thinking about this a lot lately about horror films like scream and the rest and i think that theres just no need for them to be honest

1. because they promote death
2. it makes sick people out there do the things they do
3. its the cause i think of a lot of crime e.g. knife crime which is really now high in england

and i was talking to one of my friends a while ago and he just rented a horrow film the day before and he was telling me about how someones throat got slit and theyre was blood everywhere and he had a smile on his face and it kinda freaked me out to be honest.

oh and in case anyone hasnt noticed im not exacly a fan of horror films mainly because im not a fan of people dying a horrible death and then watching it i personally think its terrifying and i think the world would be a beter place without horror films.

plz tell me what you think whether you like the horror films or not.

thank you for reading my post.

[edit on 4/20/2008 by billyjoinedat2k8]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I like horror films.

They're entertainment.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Entertainment.. that's it.. no conspiracy there.

I like the way you suggest they promote/cause crime..
We're all such mindless drones following any suggestions presented to us apparently..

I watched John Carpenter's 'The Thing' last night..
I'm pretty sure it wasn't supporting shape-changing aliens absorbing and consuming life on Earth..

But maybe I'm just not seeing the 'bigger picture' yeah?

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

im not saying thats theyres a conspiracy but seeing people being violently killed in MOST films isnt entertainment to me its kinda sick.

but thats my opinion.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by billyjoinedat2k8

But other people don't think it's sick.

Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they shouldn't make them.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I personally LOVE LOVE LOVE horror films. I have been watching them since I was a toddler and you will be happy to know that I am not a violent person. I won't even step on a spider.

You could ask the same question about anything that scares you. For instance, skydiving or riding a rollercoaster. I have no use for those because they scare the bejesus out of me BUT I don't want to see them banned from everyone else that enjoys them.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I dislike horror films full of blood and gore. I'm too sensitive. Drama and suspense I can deal with, but not violence.

Like what was in 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later. I watched 28 Days but couldn't finish 28 Weeks. The finger-in-eyesockets bit I did not like.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I'm not against horror films entirely, and enjoy certain types. But there are other sorts that I really can't handle. They make me sick to my stomach and really do tap into part of my mind that is best left alone. A good slasher flick is alright, like Scream movies or even the Halloween movies, but I can't do crap like SAW, HOSTEL, the RING, etc.

Just saw the HAPPENING the other day, that wasn't a bad flick.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Ceara

See I didn't mind the "28" movies really. They were a bit gross while I was trying to eat my popcorn, but they didn't mess with my head at the same time.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Horror films are great. I honestly can't think of any example of a crime that was emulating something out of a horror movie. Not saying there aren't any.. just saying I don't figure it's too common. I can see where you're going with the violence thing too, but I think most reasonable people take the films for what they are. Personally, I despise romance movies, and I think they give false expectations of relationships that can lead to broken hearts and possibly suicide. They should be banned, everywhere. Forever.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Granted,some of it is a little too gratuitous.

Ok.. imagine you're watching the opening scenes of a movies..ermm.. a psycho/gangster one say..Ok?

The character is mid.. 'going-medieval' on one of his rival mobsters... locking him in a room full of killer-bees smothered in honey..

Do you think this is..

A) Establishing the ingenuity and viciousness of the character so that later,when the hero is avoiding capture by said 'psycho' it builds up a sense of urgency/fear/tension in the chase scenes?(As you know what would happen to him upon capture)

B) Advocating the use of insects as a murder weapon?

PS.. Hey guys.. Don't miss 'DEXTER' starting 2nd series (UK) on Sunday..

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

I enjoyed cheesy horror flicks like Nightmare on Elm street when I was a kid. They implied more horror than they actually showed. But now with special effects as good as they are more gore than ever is in some films.

I prefer a good sci-fi. hehe

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Originally posted by AGENT_T

alright the answer is ....

A) Establishing the ingenuity and viciousness of the character so that later,when the hero is avoiding capture by said 'psycho' it builds up a sense of urgency/fear/tension in the chase scenes?(As you know what would happen to him upon capture)

but you have to agree on some films some of the scenes are a joke to be honest because theyre just sick and in humane but im not saying all film violence is sick just the unneccecery scenes from films such as 28 days later and 28 weeks later.

[edit on 4/20/2008 by billyjoinedat2k8]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Ceara

See, I really couldn't handle horror movies at all when I was a kid, even into my early 20's really. But ALIENS, now there was a series with plenty of gratuitous violence and it's been a favorite series since I was a kid.

Poltergeist, I couldn't handle Poltergeist. And that Twilight Zone episode with John Lithgow when the demon-thing was out on the wing of the plane, that was about the limit for me.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
reply to post by Ceara

And that Twilight Zone episode with John Lithgow when the demon-thing was out on the wing of the plane, that was about the limit for me.

Awww two of my faves..

The greatest ever ones were the classic frankenstein and dracula ones..
They didn't overdo the 'orchestration' like they do these days.

There was something about the minutes of silence and the old sound crackling while Drac was flying in through the window.

Nowadays you're deafened by 2nd rate compositions trying to bludgeon your ears into that sense of tension that the 3rd rate script fails to do.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I like blood and gore. Films like The Evil Dead and Cannibal Holocaust. To take them as anything other than entertainment is ridiculous. If you don't think they're entertaining, that's fine. Don't watch.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

what scares me is the fact that you think blood & gore is entertaining

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Why would that scare you? It's not real. It's a movie. If I saw it on the news I wouldn't think it's entertaining.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
One movie, one word:

Phantasm

Hidden messages?
Collective ancient memory?

I don't know, but...

- Lee

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05

Why would that scare you? It's not real. It's a movie. If I saw it on the news I wouldn't think it's entertaining.

its not the film that scares me its the fact that theyres people out there who find blood & gore entertaining.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join