It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Real Iran, What Many People Don't Know

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Excellent thread and the pictures do help put everything into perspective for individuals that have never visited Iran.

Here are some more protest pics

The radicals of America

The one below is from london

The only thing I am trying to show is what the OP was trying to show as each protest group is doing exactly that, protesting about what they believe in. Even though the general population might not agree with them and laugh at them.

Take for example the KKK, how many of us laugh at what they say and brush them off as loonies. The Islamic radicals in Iran are the same way as they are regarded as loonies by their general population and brushed off.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
Don't know if this was mentioned, I skipped over page 2....but, the only problem I see with Iran is that they have the misfortune of having a crazy 'leader', but we at least share THAT in common!!

The World's image of the gun-toting Wild West American is currently occupying....and yes, I mean OCCUPYING...the White House.

I say, throw shrub Jr and Aneedanotherjob...or whatever his name is in a room and let them have at each other. We could sell it on Pay-per-View!!

I don't usually agree with you on some things... but on this one, sure, 100% We need to evolve into a society that throws leaders into the lionpits if they even suggest going to war, for whatever motive. Rome would have been such a nicer place if all the dictators were kicked into the coliseum. Oh, and the senators too...

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Iranian people want to live like western people in that they want the same freedom as Americans. The only difference is Iranian people have a lot more morals then Americans. They believe in family, they don't want to turn on the TV and see two girls or guys kissing and sex being pushed down their throat like American TV. They don't want to see all the drug abuse and use on TV.
America use to be a great country and a lot of other people looked at it as great with good honest hard working people. Now they see how polluted it has become from "Political Correctness" and the super liberal media overtaking the airwaves from radio to tv. They see how lazy most Americans have become and how very few of us realize how lucky we really are.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaleGribble
anyone who has ever been there will tell you the same thing....

Erm, I've been to Iran plenty of times. I'm assuming that since you were in the military that you haven't visited Iran, would that be a correct asumption?

While I hate many aspects of the country's theocratic rule, i.e. the terrible treatment of homosexuals, death penalty, the lack of women's rights. The Iranian people still manage to thrive in the face of adversity, for example, there are more woman in university than men and the women are employed on a large scale in business and government.... it won't be too long until they start to have a real influence.

Although, as every Iranian male knows, women rule the household.

Ahemdinejad's losing popularity, the Iranian people are feeling the pinch of his incompetence of managing the economy.

Hats off to the OP, I'd encourage anyone with an inkling of interest to study Iran and it's history, it really is a fascinating subject..... Perhaps even pick up a little Farsi!

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
If some posters consider Iran's leader to be crazy and war promoting, what do you people think the Bush/Cheney tag team is aka Bushwacker Boys...lol.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I really hope people are paying attention. Stop the war. Do not even consider allowing one bomb to drop. Its unbelievable. Do you know what bombs do? To children. If Bush or anyone moves on any country, physically remove them from office. But the OP is wrong. Iran is not a modern city. It could be. The heart of its people and women would like it to be, and many families live more moderately and are would like to see equality and high standards for human rights as state law with religion freedom a private thing. However, this year the morality police were out in full force for the June summer crackdown. I suggest just googling it.

and

[IMG]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn251/mystiq123/Morality-Police-Tehran12.jpg[
/IMG]

and

Iran's brutal morality police are growing in power, warns Nobel Prize-winner
www.independent.co.uk...

I want everyone to support the true modernization of the middle east, and its women, with laws that reflect UN standards and religious freedom a private individual decision, not war. War on behalf of coorporate elite for resources is not supporting positive change for a countries peoples.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Zepherian

Well, thank you very much, Zeph! It's nice to see a civil discourse about issues.

For Deny.....yes, it is hard to be tolerant of some other cultures' attitudes towards homosexulity and women's rights.

It was 1994 when I took a Nile River cruise. Egypt is likely as Westernized as Iran, different politics of course...and I'm not well-knowledgable of their religious differences, but the attitudes toward Gays and Women are similar. My tour guide in Egypt was unashamed to say that he would not let his wife drive. To him, it's just normal.

I had a waiter come-on to me, on the river boat. He murmered in my ear, while serving, "I like your moustache". (Yes, I am male!) LOL!

It was during Ramadan, as well. There are always undercurrents of dissent, it is human nature. Yet, it is dangerous for them to 'buck' the system they live in....kinda like the American Revolutionary War.

I remember hearing stories from Flight Attendants who worked charters into Tehran during the Khomeni rule....the women on the flights would spend the last hour before landing taking off the make-up and changing into the scarves and other 'modest' attire to conform with the 'laws' of the country at the time.

Of course, most recent human societies are mysogonistic. Even right here in the USA.....anyone remember the Suffragettes??? AND, despite certain spectacular examples, the 'glass ceiling' still exists.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Unfortunately, there are some people who want war, no matter what the costs. The neocon doomsday propagators and Zionists will not care about who dies as long as they get their way.

There is only one thing in this world that matters more to them than anything, and that's wealth.

[edit on 2-7-2008 by DJMessiah]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
A modern contemporary society? Iranians need to make some changes with their government, because it hasn't joined the modern world, it has regressed.

Top ten reasons why sharia is bad for all societies

10. Islam commands that drinkers and gamblers should be whipped.

In 2001, Iranian officials sentenced three men to flogging not only for illicit sex (see reason no. nine), but also for drinking alcohol.

In 2005, in Nigeria a sharia court ordered that a drinker should be caned eighty strokes.

In 2005, in the Indonesian province of Aceh, fifteen men were caned in front of a mosque for gambling. This was done publicly so all could see and fear. Eleven others are scheduled to undergo the same penalty for gambling.

9. Islam allows husbands to hit their wives even if the husbands merely fear highhandedness in their wives.

In 2004, Rania al—Baz, who had been beaten by her husband, made her ordeal public to raise awareness about violence suffered by women in the home in Saudi Arabia.

Saudi television aired a talk show that discussed this issue. Scrolling three—fourths of the way down the link, the readers can see an Islamic scholar holding up sample rods that husbands may use to hit their wives.

It is claimed that Islamic societies have fewer incidents of fornication and adultery because of strict laws or customs, for example, women wearing veils over their faces or keeping separate from men in social settings. But these results of fewer incidents of sexual 'crimes' may have unanticipated negative effects in other areas, such as the oppression of women. Generally, sharia restricts women's social mobility and rights, the more closely sharia is followed. For example, in conservative Saudi Arabia women are not allowed to drive cars. In Iran, the law oppresses women. For example, women's testimony counts half that of men, and far more women than men are stoned to death for adultery.

8. Islam allows an injured plaintiff to exact legal revenge—physical eye for physical eye.

In 2003, in Saudi Arabia a man had two teeth extracted under the law of retaliation.

In 2003, a court in Pakistan sentenced a man to be blinded by acid after he carried out a similar attack on his fianc�e.

In 2005, an Iranian court orders a man's eye to be removed for throwing acid on another man and blinding him in both eyes.

7. Islam commands that a male and female thief must have a hand cut off.

Warning! This short article has photos of severed hands. The reader should never lose sight of the fact that this punishment is prescribed in the Quran, the eternal word of Allah. It does not exist only in the fevered imagination of a violent and sick radical regime like the Taliban, which once ruled in Afghanistan.

A Saudi cleric justifies chopping off hands here.

The Quran says:

5:38 Cut off the hands of thieves, whether they are male or female, as punishment for what they have done—a deterrent from God: God is almighty and wise. 39 But if anyone repents after his wrongdoing and makes amends, God will accept his repentance: God is most forgiving and merciful. (Haleem)

6. Islam commands that highway robbers should be crucified or mutilated.

In September 2003, Scotsman Sandy Mitchell faced crucifixion in Saudi Arabia. He was beaten and tortured until he confessed to a crime he did not commit: a bomb plot masterminded by the British embassy. The article says of this punishment that it is the worst kind of execution and that two have been carried out in the last twenty years.

4. Islam orders unmarried fornicators to be whipped and adulterers to be stoned to death.

Fornication:

In 2001, Iranian officials sentenced three men to flogging for illicit sex.

The Quran says:

24:2 The fornicatress and the fornicator, flog each of them with a hundred stripes. Let not pity withhold you in their case, in a punishment prescribed by Allah, if you believe in Allah and the Last Day. And let a party of the believers witness their punishment. [This punishment is for unmarried persons guilty of the above crime (illegal sex), but if married persons commit it (illegal sex), the punishment is to stone them to death, according to Allah's law]. (Hilali and Khan).

www.americanthinker.com...

The innocent young men in the photos were beaten, humiliated, and arrested for wearing Western clothing and hairstyles. It is in the public interest to spread these photos far and wide. The images should be seared onto the global conscience:

www.immigrationwatchdog.com...

LONDON, July 21 – Two gay teenagers were publicly executed in Iran on 19 July 2005 for the ‘crime’ of homosexuality. The youths were hanged in Edalat (Justice) Square in the city of Mashhad, in north east Iran. They were sentenced to death by Court No. 19.

Iran enforces Islamic Sharia law, which dictates the death penalty for gay sex.

www.ukgaynews.org.uk...

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Strange days, when the politicians deciding who we have the conflicts with, who the enemy are - what course of action is required. Then turn out to be a Director/Advisor on the board of some defence company, which gained a reasonable sized order out of it all. Governments like to keep the population in the dark, with a sense of fear. It makes us easier to control and manipulate. "Don't worry - we are doing this all for your benefit.." Maybe if they were a bit more open, it might actually be a bit more credible. Every country has its good and bad elements, does not make it a foregone conclusion that you try to bomb them back to the stone age.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   

i dont really care what the do over there.

germans had boats and went sking aswell. and had swing sets. they also claimed to do things for the people.

what are the people in the second pic protesting anyways?

although i do like the liberalizm poster. i gotsta have one of those.

i say turn the whole middle east into a glass parking lot(except bahrain, cause thats where my mom lives). had we done this 6 years ago you guys would have nothing to talk about.

the only good that ever came from there was camels and oil anyways...

[edit on 15pmu102007 by DaleGribble]

Could you have sounded anymore like an idiot American? If you have a bad view of the Middle East it is because of all of the propaganda that we are spoon-fed on a daily basis.

Perhaps you wouldn't be so smug if someone were executing and arresting your loved ones and then lying about why they did it.

America is not in the Middle East because it is a threat, America is in the Middle East because we are allies with Israel. And both America and Israel want control of the Middle East. Period.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I just want to say a big THANK YOU! To the OP for posting this thread and those beautiful pictures.

As an Iranian myself, I struggle trying to tell people that "Noooo my dad doesn't wear a turban, and walk around with an AK-47, ALL THE TIME"...and..."Nooo Women don't have to walk 10 paces behind their husband"...and "Of course we don't eat camel and live in caves!"

Unfortunatly many people like to have the US vs. THEM attitude, and forget that we all are human.

Our governments (yours and ours) are not exactly the most humane and peace-loving, but can this really translate to the citizens? Just like there are fundementalist christians in the United States, there are fundementalist Muslims in Iran. How can such a small percentage of people represent an entire nation with a history that spans thousands of years. A real shame.

The majority of Iranians love Americans, they don't have this pre-concieved perception of them as being fundementalist christians who look like cowboys. They see Hollywood...Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt....that is how they see America. Of course that is not an accurate stereotype, but personally I would take that over "The submissive beaten housewife of an Islamic terrorist"...

Anyways, there will always be the uneducated, lazy and ignorant...no matter what culture we look at.

Peace!

SciDoc

[edit on 2-7-2008 by SciDoc]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   

i dont really care what the do over there.

germans had boats and went sking aswell. and had swing sets. they also claimed to do things for the people.

what are the people in the second pic protesting anyways?

although i do like the liberalizm poster. i gotsta have one of those.

i say turn the whole middle east into a glass parking lot(except bahrain, cause thats where my mom lives). had we done this 6 years ago you guys would have nothing to talk about.

the only good that ever came from there was camels and oil anyways...

[edit on 15pmu102007 by DaleGribble]

Wow....

That character in your avatar sums up your personallity for me...a word I cannot use : )

I for one believe that every country is the same fundamentally to the core. Meaning that people are people no one is different, the only difference are the donkeys running the county within these people live in.

Best Regards,

Richie

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
This is so typical of ATS.....

Blah, Blah, Blah...

Yep, its the big bad evil usa going to destroy another utopian society and lets not forget their great leader.....

ik-ma-dick-a-jed... and all the wonderful things he has done for humanity and the people of his nation.

Let's not forget - how he was paraded as a "genious" by the american media.

Give me a break......!!!!!

Anytime they need someone to push the button and send a couple of hundred nukes over there, I've got no problem - and I'll do it for a hot meal and a cold beer.!!!!

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DaleGribble

"my unit just got back from there second deployment from the middle east where they were attacked by iranian manufactured weapons on a daily basis. thats what the middle east has done to me. but like i said in an eairler post camels do bring me joy."

Sorry to hear you have to be following orders, like Henry Kissinger would say best "Military men are dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns for foreign policy."

Sorry you were attacked by Iranian manufactured weapons, now you know what the rest of the world feels like when they are attacked by weapons manufactured in the US.

Hope you can find peace one day
Regards

P.S. Thanks to the OP for posting a real topic as compassionate and loving beings should

[edit on 2-7-2008 by Drewdatt]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
mvictors.com...

cedarfest 2008 michigan state university. Their only cause was the fact that the police wanted the 4,000 people to go home at 2:00am.

(before people say anything about police brutality or unfairness that night. I was there and they were completely cool with all the open intox and illegal fireworks. then people started chanting for tear gas and throwing stuff at the cops. the police told people to leave and the drunken idiots pushed back.)

dont even get me started on Fred Phelps and WBC

[edit on 2-7-2008 by HollowPointPeace]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I knew this place was a peacefull place anyways...Even tho they have strict laws, but thats with every middle eastern country. America just needs too get over this BS and grow up has a Country..and im sure they want too use nuclear power has energy. Just look how Huge Teheran is....

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I DO not CARE what Iran looks like!

Actually I do! I see people having fun and enjoying life but at the same time their government is supporting SO many terrorist groups! Hmmm, they supply weapons to the VERY same people that are KILLING are TROOPS!

They destabilize the entire region. Train many other groups to KILL others in Lebanon and Isreal. They haven't HAD a RELATIONSHIP with the US because they cannot even be trusted with DIPLOMATS.

This is a nation that should BURN in their own nuclear fuel unless they decide to become a MEMBER of the world!

If the people don't want them and are so happy go lucky, vote them out...

Till then,

Bah Bah BAH bahba ba Iran :-)

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grendel39

This is a nation that should BURN in their own nuclear fuel unless they decide to become a MEMBER of the world!

If the people don't want them and are so happy go lucky, vote them out...

Are you really that foolish? Or are you gonna chalk it up to ignorance?

Read what happened in that country 28 years ago when the people were unhappy with the US-Puppet, the Shah Pahlavi of Iran, decided to overthrow the monarchy...who did we get, Ayatollah Khomeini...he didnt seem so bad then, he made a lot of promises, and we believed him. Now look what happened. Look at what is happening in Iraq...case&point.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   

reply to post by Zanzibar

my unit just got back from there second deployment from the middle east where they were attacked by iranian manufactured weapons on a daily basis.

the sad thing is they bring a diffrent joy to the people over there where wemen are only used for reproduction. anyone who has ever been there will tell you the same thing....

Israel attacks whoever it wants to, including civilians, with USA made weapons. Does that mean we should turn the USA into a 'glass parking lot'?

oh yeah and those 'wemen' as you call them, in the OP pictures sure look like they're having a bad time. Maybe we should nuke them, that would make everything better.

Originally posted by Grendel39
I see people having fun and enjoying life but at the same time their government is supporting SO many terrorist groups! Hmmm, they supply weapons to the VERY same people that are KILLING are TROOPS!

They destabilize the entire region. Train many other groups to KILL others in Lebanon and Isreal.

Like the US government/CIA have never supported any terror groups...
and the USA never supply weapons to people to go and kill troops/civilians with...
and the USA has never purposefully destabilized a region...
or trained groups to kill...

pah

[edit on 2/7/2008 by malganis]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join