It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Herbal Medicine for Sit X

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by o22a6ar

I have never heard of those!

Where would you find them?

Not to discount what you're saying, of course, I just really want to keep the suggestions to things that would be easily availible after Sit X. Things that you wouldn't have to mail-order to get.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
None of the plants I listed are native to the Americas. Depending on where you live, you may or may not be able to grow them yourself. I live right outside of Washington D.C. As a result, I am not able to grow any of the plants I listed. They are primarily tropical or very warm climate plants. Kava is used in many of the Pacific Islands and is grown in tropical climates. Corydalis Yanhusuo is used in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). I'm sure the plant is native to somewhere in or around China. However given the wide variability of Chinese climates, you cannot pinpoint what climate it is grown in by only knowing it is from China. I couldn't find a wikipedia entry or much other information on the plant, and I know of only one supplier. However, I don't think we are allowed to list the information of vendors in our posts. You'll have to do some searching. Kratom is from Southeast Asia, and thus tropical climates. Kanna is the one thing you may be able to grow in Texas. It is from South Africa. Before using any of these plants internally or externally, you should learn as much about them as possible. Like most medicines, these plants can kill you or make you sick in high enough doses.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by o22a6ar

Thanks again for the info, but in all honesty I probably would not pursue those... expecially in SitX... they would be nice to have as novelty plants, but I could just as easily treat those conditions with stuff that's availible this side of the pond.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
If anyone is planning on being prepared for "SitX," whatever it may be, you would be wise to get an SAS Survival Handbook.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I have practiced herbal nutrition for several years, and would like to share some of my favorites, "things I would not do without".
Some have been previously mentioned:

YARROW: This is great for digestive problems, but is also an excellent ANTI-VIRAL, effective against ANY virus: digestive, respiratory, any virus from HIV to herpes.
ECHINACEA: Builds up the immune system's white blood cell count; use along with yarrow.
DULSE: I have been using this seaweed to rid myself of the effects of Depleted Uranium now found all over the world, as it removes radioactivity from the body. DU affects bone marrow and kidneys, and depletes the immune system. I have felt better and stronger since beginning this a month ago.
HAWTHORN BERRIES: These are great for strengthening the heart muscle and the circulatory system. Many European doctors have used them for years instead of pharmaceuticals.
CHAMOMILE FLOWERS: Have a calming effect on the nervous system without making you drowsy. Don't use if you have "hay fever".
BEE POLLEN: Gives a nice long lasting energy boost without making you "hyper". Full of vitamins, minerals, amino acids and more for good nutrition.
ALFALFA: Also full of vitamins and essential minerals. Great blood cleanser, supports liver function. Used for arthritis relief. Supplements a diet poor in nutrition, alkalinizes an acid condition.
DANDELION: Lots of minerals. Builds the blood, has lots of iron content, supports the liver. Great for skin rashes, fatigue, poor diet.

If faced with problems getting or affording food, try to stay away from sugar and carbohydrates, which will sap your energy and "fry" your nerves as well as turn into fat stores. People tend to turn to breads, pastas, chips, processed grain foods and other cheap junk foods just to fill up and kill the hunger. This is about as good for the body as just eating paper or cardboard. Eat as many veggies and fruit as possible.

Don't count on GM foods like corn and rice to give you nutrition. They won't have it, and will have serious effects on the body instead.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Agrimony can come in handy as well. It is well known in England and Scotland but you can grow it here- Native Americans have used it,as well. Agrimony is a sticky nettle that grows anywhere in the wild and will stop bleeding. I have used it myself and it works very well. There are many used for it, and it should be easy to grow. some info about Agrimony

It is a personal favorite of mine- just thought Id share

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Ctnip can help with fever,too. There are a lot of uses for catnip and it is easy to grow.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I thought I would post these from one of the formularies I have. I have a special concern for people caught out without their anti-depressants in Sit-X, and some of these or all might prove useful:

10.1 RELAXING TEA
Camomile Flowers.............. ............3 parts
Catnip........... ....................................3 parts
Passion Flower.................................3 parts
Spearmint..... ....................................2 parts
Lemon Balm.....................................2 parts
Hops.............. ....................................2 parts
Viscum album..................................1 part
Drink the simple infusion as needed, particularly in the evenings. If you know
you will have trouble sleeping, start drinking it BEFORE you can't sleep..

10.2 NERVE TONIC
Valerian........ ........................4 parts
Verbena.................................4 parts
Skullcap........ ........................4 parts
Passion Flower.....................4 parts
European Mistletoe.............2 parts
Damiana....... ........................2 parts
Siberian Ginseng................. 2 parts
Cordydalis............................1 part
3-6 “00” capsules as needed. Lower doses help anxieties, larger doses act as an
overt sedative. (Can be tinctured, 50% alcohol)

10.3 SPEED DETOX FORMULA
Bee Pollen..... ........................6 parts
Fu-Tze (Cured Aconite)......4 parts
Mahonia................................3 parts
6-12 caps a day with 250 mg. of tyrosine a day and water-soluble vitamins such
as B complex and C. Used to help someone get through the first week of
amphetamine or coc aine withdrawal.

10.4 V's NERVE TONIC
Passiflora FE.....................................5 ounces
Leonurus cardiaca...........................1 ounce
Crataegus..........................................1 ounce
Verbena hastata................... ............1 ounce
Hypericum (fresh)...........................1 ounce
Selenicereus (fresh)............. ............1/2 ounce
Make from separate tinctures. Dose 60-90 drops as needed.
For physical agitation, nervousness, and stress palpitations

10.5 B's ANTIDEPRESSANT
Hypericum (fresh)...........................6 parts
Aralia Berries (fresh).......................5 parts
Licorice Root ....................................4 parts
Oplopanax (fresh)............... ............2 parts
Panax quinquefolium......... ............1 part
Mix as tinctures. Dose: 60-90 drops up to four times a day.
For morbid depression with congestion and dry mucosa

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
just a side note here, but I'd keep some wormwood around.

if you soak an ounce or two of it in high proof grain alcohol, it makes an interesting if powerful drink. sort of Hillbilly absinthe.

It's also legal to do, because you're essentially making a tincture, it's only illegal if you distill it, because then it becomes absinthe, which is another thing that's illegal for no real reason.

What's the silly reason?

if you drink too much absinthe, your kidneys can shut down.

you know what? if you drink too much alcohol alone, it will kill you anyway.

a bit of a tangent rant, but this thread made me think of it.

Wormwood has thujone in it, a stimulant, so it's useful for anything a stimulant is useful for, including fun.

It is an interesting experience to be sober and drunk at the same time.

Use In Moderation, kids.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
ok, i'm gonna bite the bullet, admit my ignorance, and open myself up to ridicule.
i keep seeing the term sit x and for the last month i thought you were rambling about stuffit expander. i couldn't figure out how herbal medicine was going to help my compressed files.
so please, what is sit x?

[edit on 7/3/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Sit-x or Situation-X -- an event or series of events that lead to either the toppling of nation states or the collapse of civilisation. That's my definition.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Pellevoisin

Thanks mate, it's actually quite similar to stuffit expander.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I tried some shoots of thistle plants, I can say they are crisp, watery and have more flavour than lettuce. Very nice.

Another item to have around is propolis:

Medicinal use

Propolis is marketed by health food stores as a traditional medicine, and for its claimed beneficial effect on human health. Natural medicine practitioners often use propolis for the relief of various conditions, including inflammations, viral diseases, ulcers, superficial burns or scalds. Propolis is also believed to promote heart health and reduce the chances of cataracts. Old beekeepers recommend a piece of propolis kept in the mouth as a remedy for a sore throat. Propolis lozenges can be bought in Australia, Republic of Korea, and France. Though claims have been made for its use in treating allergies, propolis may cause severe allergic reactions if the user is sensitive to bees or bee products.

Some of these claims are being clinically investigated and several studies are published in the biomedical literature. Since the chemical composition of propolis varies depending on season, bee species and geographic location, caution must be applied in extrapolating results (above). Depending upon its composition, propolis may show powerful local antibiotic and antifungal properties, and studies indicate that it may be effective in treating skin burns. Propolis also exhibits immunomodulatory effects and is a subject of recent dentistry research, since there is some evidence that propolis may actively protect against caries and other forms of oral disease, due to its antimicrobial properties. Propolis can also be used to treat canker sores, and its use in canal debridement for endodontic procedures has been explored in Brazil.

Other uses

Italian varnish

Propolis is used by certain music instrument makers to enhance the appearance of the wood grain. It is a component of Italian varnish and was reportedly used by Stradivari.

I've used propolis for mouth ulcers (I don't get them when I take propolis and they go within a few days (when taken during an outbreak)). Also, colds are milder/less frequent when it is taken.

[edit on 4/7/08 by Rapacity]

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I used to be able to get propolis soap from New Zealand. It was a godsend for skin problems of all sorts. I think if one could stock up on propolis soap or learn how to make it ... especially from the manuka pollen (!) it would prove an invaluable resource in a time with few resources. Who knows, you could become the local 'doctor' or 'chemist' in your community...

[edit on 4/7/08 by Pellevoisin]

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by MegaTherion

Absinthe also contains anise, fennel, and was sweetened with sugar.

It is, to the best of my knowledge, still legal in some parts of europe.

I have seen liquors that are labeled as 'absinth' here, but I don't think they're the traditional herb formula, and I know they're around 40% wheras the traditional abstinth was, I beleive, about 80%.

Anyways, moot point. I would keep vodka and whiskey in my 'survival kit,' but for a medicinal use. Getting drunk/stoned would probably be the worst thing to do during Sit X.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Pellevoisin

I am going to try some of those depression rememdies, thanks a lot!

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by raven bombshell

Ctnip can help with fever,too. There are a lot of uses for catnip and it is easy to grow.

Catnip is probably one of the most underappreciated herbs out there.

Reminds me of a cartoon, I don't know what it was called, about anthromorphic zoo characters, and one of the teen-aged cats had gotten busted with catnip.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I'm gonna throw this out there, though it isn't an herb. HONEY is a great antibiotic to use for wounds, skin irritation, and some say to help netralize allergies. Would help the hypoglycemic and nuture everyong, as well as make food and infusions more paltable. Might be easily found, though not easily obtained, in the wild.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
I'm gonna throw this out there, though it isn't an herb. HONEY is a great antibiotic to use for wounds, skin irritation, and some say to help netralize allergies. Would help the hypoglycemic and nuture everyong, as well as make food and infusions more paltable. Might be easily found, though not easily obtained, in the wild.

Yes, honey is hugely important and that is why I keep some bees with neighbours.

Also, if you can get it, there is a honey in New Zealand that the bees make from manuka pollen that has extraordinary healing and anti-bacterial properties. I keep a supply on hand because it has been documented to even fend off the worst sorts of infections in wounds including MRSA. One of nature's secrets and greatest gifts.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
reply to post by MegaTherion

Anyways, moot point. I would keep vodka and whiskey in my 'survival kit,' but for a medicinal use. Getting drunk/stoned would probably be the worst thing to do during Sit X.

I keep absinthe for situations of the worst kind of pain in an emergency. Without mentioning specific kinds of accidents that could happen, the absinthe faerie could be very helpful in place of a proper anesthetist during surgeries. I hope I'm clear without being too graphic. There are problems of all sorts that can arise with the use of absinthe, but in sit-x in the need to help someone who lost a limb or must have one removed, I want to keep it in the healing-medicinal arsenal.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join