It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Herbal Medicine for Sit X

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadwgirl
You can use foxglove or bella donna for heart disease.
I think nettles are good for illness.

Foxglove and bella donna are pretty toxic though, deathly toxic, so best not to use those except utter emergencies.

Bella Donna was once used to dialate the pupils, though I can't think of an immediate use for that in a SitX.

Most nettles can sting, so care would have to be taken while harvesting, and if you make them into a tea, you'd have to strain it.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I would like to request that everyone else who responds with plant suggestions also includes a)the general region where they can be found, b) which part of the plant to use, if the whole thing isn't usable and especially if one part may be toxic, and c) a link to a picture if you can provide it.

Thanks!

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I have several e-books on herbal medicine, I haven't read them yet, as I've been busy, but if you guys would like them, I'll link you guys to them. Then you guys can select the plants you guys think would be very helpful, and post them here.

But why do I have these books? Well I've always been interested in alternative medicine, and with that herbal medicine. My goal if possible is build myself a little greenhouse, have a collections of the essential plants, and some of the most potent and effective plants out there.

Anyways good luck guys, and nice thread.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Can I add two?

Opium Poppy: Invaluable source of basic morphine for extremely painful situations. Also helps for respiratory problems.

Cannabis Sativa/Indica: Great source of essential oils for the body and brain, gives you more oil than nuts. Pain relieving properties. Stress relief. Glaucoma relief. Regulates blood sugar levels when insulin is not present. Helps with intestinal cramping .. prevents the onset of cancer.

Thanks!

[edit on 7/2/2008 by runetang]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I am allergic to most pain medication and ALL antibiotics.

I would like to add one that should be in your cabinet.

Oil of Oregano. First, if you ever get a bad tooth ache, this will take the pain away and also cure the infection. I have had full abcessed teeth, and it really takes the pain gone. It is also a good antibiotic. I use it when I get kidney infections. I told my dentist about it and he now recommends it to people in pain if they can not get in.

I have tried a lot of things for these infections, and finally found something that actually works. The allomax garlic and all that did no good at all and I wasted a lot of money .

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I was thinking to start an underground army, to protect people from martial law, concentration camps, and a huge natural disaster that's coming. Ill post that thread later, but this is good, what else can we stock pile?

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by runetang

That's true. I was going to mention these, but decided not to because I wasn't sure if it would be a T&C violation.

I don't know where, or how profusely, poppies grow in the wild, but they might be invaluable if someone gets hurt in the wild.

Of course, besides medical/recreational use, the hemp plants can also be used for fibers, paper, oil, ect.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by furiousracer313

I wasn't thinking so much about stockpiling here, in this thread. I was wanting to focus on plants that can be found and used in the wild, because no matter how much you stockpile, it's eventually going to run out. If you want to survive beyond your stockpile, then you have to know how to make a friend out of nature.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Great Thread!
To add my 2 pennies...

Since some of us may have to head to /or are already, in the higher elevations here in the Western US...

Edible and Medicinal Plants of the Rockies

I am going to head down to the bookstore later to see if I can purchase it offline.

Also a good Pocket Sized reference for those in the US and Canada...
Edible Wild Plants and Herbs: A Pocket Guide

Happy Harvesting

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

I don't know how it would do for you personally, but clove oil will usually also take away a toothache.

Have you tried some form of collodial silver? I get abscesses in my fingertips sometimes, it helps wonderfully.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Cheyracingchick

I will second that recomendation. I had that first book when I lived in the Colorado Rockies, and now I have those field guides.

I will emphasis again though, books are nice, but everyone should be familiar with what's in their area, or their bugging-out area, before Sit X comes around.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Papaver Somniferum. Easy to grow in most harsh environments.

Opium should only be harvested and used in event of Situation X when there will be no DEA or FDA or doctors to approve your use.

when to use it?

broken bone, serious infections, gunshot wound.

you know, the really really owie stuff.

What to do: get Poppy Seeds from the Asian food stores near you.

get like a pound bag, they are very very small seeds.

practice growing them. It's *NOT* illegal. Just don't scrape the sides of the seedpods, because that's where the naughty chemicals are.

It's only illegal to grow poppies (and it's legal to grow ANY kind) IF and only IF you harvest the opium.

I know many a grandma grows beautiful Persian White, and in australia they have a lovely variety you can order called Papaver Gigantium. Gigantium has seed pods the size of softballs.

Do not try to grow McCormick brand, for baking. they are sterilized.
some off brands work for experimental gardening, but McCormick never grows.

They are absolutely beautiful flowers, once again 100% LEGAL.

If you end up in a real bad spot like the Government collapses, you'll want to have some in your garden.

you don't get a habit from using it in emergency situations like BROKEN LEG.

as for habit forming things, I know this is unrelated but I can't help but question the 'new' painkillers out there.

Celebrex and Bextra kill people, and all of them I've ever seen in use from my years in Nursing, they take three weeks to build up and work, then you CAN'T get off without tapering and three more weeks.

Opioids you just stop using. if you have an addictive personality, or a tolerance, it can be rough, but from normal extended use, it's just a sick feeling that goes away after a week or so.

other stuff I'd like to find:

Natural Sources of Vitamins B & C, that grow in Greater North America.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MegaTherion
Papaver Somniferum. Easy to grow in most harsh environments.

What is the common name of that? It's a type of poppy, I'm guessing?

I've seen poppy seeds sold in packets. So, those might be a better bet than the Chinese spices, if they are readiliy availible in one's area/season.

Also--you don't have to go out at find a stash of vitimins in the wild like you would with, say, salt. Most vitamins, with the exception of things like B12, can be obtained by eating certain plants. The books already mentined in this thread will detail which plants are rich in which vitamins.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Very good mega!

To the person who didnt mention these because of fear of T&C violation, this is being presented in a hypothetical scenario where the government has effectively ceased to function, the same goes for most police and military. This is in the event of .. global catastrophe, and then you are just a person in a shattered world, the laws won't matter at such a point.

It is not illegal to grow poppy flowers, this is correct. I have done it before just to see the pretty flowers, they are so beautiful when they finally pop out into flower mode .. but before they become a flower, they look alot like a weed or a cabbage, heheh. Almost identical to a common weed in fact, until the upright stem begins growing after the first month and a half of germination. Takes 3 & 1/2 months until the flowers have fallen off and the seed pod has ripened in the center of where the flower used to be, from the point of planting them to the end.

It is extremely easy, and legal, to attain poppy seeds, you can order specific strains over the internet which is a big sham and waste of money, you can order actual dried poppy pods off the internet for floral arranging and wreaths and such, which contain at least a hundred tiny seeds in each one.

Also, I have a friend who tried growing Mccormick brand and it worked! Worked just fine .. they came out quite nice actually. So it can be done with even that brand .. so pretty much any brand from the store spices aisle will work if you dont want to bother with the internet.

Good luck & Happy growing!

PS: They are extremely potent for pain relief. If a person who does not regularly take opiate/opioid substances for pain or physical dependency were to ingest just one large, fresh poppy seed pod the size of a tennis ball, grinded into a pulp and mixed with ice and your choice of pulverized fruit, they'd be pleasently surprised within an hour of drinking it that their pain would be subsiding. They'd probably even start nodding off and having day dream visions ("pipe dreams"), and this would last for 12 hours after ingesting it. What you'd be ingesting contains over 30 different psychoactive compounds, the most important three are: morphine (calcium morphenate), codeine, and papaverine, which is a naturally occurring muscle relaxant also found in that plant.

So it is definitely something God-given, for why would this exist, creating chemicals that work so well in our human brain chemistry? It is quite amazing to think about it .. and the reason "why" a creator would add poppies to the world is obvious; to ease mankind's severe pains. Since it is legal to grow, theres no harm in purchasing a fair bit of seeds off the internet or you can try your luck with the grocery store kind. I've got like, a punch bowl full of them .. maybe 10lbs heavy!

On the east coast and states bordering those on the east coast, with the present climate and nature cycles, if you intend to grow some of these flowers, they're best planted after the winter solstice, and absolutely must be in the ground by Easter, or they are gonna die off from the heat in June. The idea is to get them fully mature and ready to go by the middle of June. Cooler temperatures and sandy soil work best for them, but theyll grow anywhere.

[edit on 7/2/2008 by runetang]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Great Thread! Looks like you got all of your info from the current issue of Mother Earth News.

Doesn't matter to me, because I have ALL of them planted for myself and my family.

St. John's Wort plants easy enough as well and it takes care of the gitters about Situation X.

BUY ORGANIC SEEDS...

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Jewelweed- Will stop itching pain from bee stings, rash,poison ivy etc.

Blackberry Leaf Tea- Diarrhea

Wild Carrots or Queen Anne's Lace- Contrceptive chew 1 tsp dried seed every day with lots of water chew for 10 minutes and swallow evry day from time of intercourse till next period. can cause constipation. Caution: Do not confuse with water hemlock.

[edit on 2-7-2008 by ohioriver]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   

I am allergic to clove oil. Clove oil numbs, whereas oregano oil does not numb but just takes the pain. It has been compared to morphine in the way that it works. It works much better than clove oil IMO. It is an essential oil so it goes into the tooth root. It gets the infection and the pain. It works for about 6 hours pain wise.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by runetang

Thanks for the clarification, I thought I'd err on the side of caution, since using the plants medicinally in SIt X is, for the most part, the same process as using them illegally in contemporary times.

On a side note. I think it's when we try to synthesize things like morphine, or concentrate them, that we run into the addictive troubles. Most plants have complimenting properties that, when used correctly, prevent side-effects like that. (Of course, anything can become psycologically addictive.)

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Tapped In

Most of this information I just read out of various books, and have tested with my own experience.

St. Johns wort is probably one of the most invaluable herbs, in my opinion!

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join