It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Herbal Medicine for Sit X

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Hi, I would like to start a thread about herbal medicines that can be "wildcrafted " in the event ofa SitX... even if you stock up on tylenol, penecillin, and other meds, they are eventually going to run out or spoil.

The most important thing to continued survival is a knowledge of medicinal and edible plants, so I would like to share some of the plants that I think are most important and easily found in the wild. This isn't meant to substitute a doctor's advice and I'm concentrating on North America, since that's where I live and what I'm most familiar with.

1.Aloe Vera

This is a very good plant to use for burns, insect stings, and any other kind of skin problem. Cut the leaves lengthwise, spread open, and apply the pulp directly.

In addition, it is a succulent and has a very high water content, so can be invaluable to arid survival. The juice also helps the intestines when drank internally.

2. Plantain

Not to be confused with the bananna-like fruit, this is a plant that commonly grows on grassy areas, even on people's lawns. Crushed fresh leaves will be good for skin irritation as well. A tea made from the leaves is good for respertory symptoms.

3. Raspberry

In addition to producing the berries, rasberry leaves can be made into a tea that will help pregnant woman throughout their term and during childbirth.

4. Mullein

The leaves of mullein, in tea form or crushed and applied to the chest as a poltice, are GREAT for releiveing respertory congestion. However, it has rather fiberous leaves, so you would want to strain the tea first.

5. WIld Garlic, Wild Onion and Egyptian Onions

All of these plants are edible, and contain natural antibiotics. The Egyptian onion is very distinct, but be sure you have positively identified the Garlic and Onion, as most bulbs are toxic to eat.

6. Mints

There are many sub-species of mint, but all of them are distinctly scented and many tend to grow voraciously when not tended.

Mint tea will sooth an upset stomach, and is a diuretic. It can be used to repel bugs.

7. Yarrow

Crushed leaves help stop bleeding. Tea made from the plant aids digestion and stomach/intestinal bleeding.

The flowers may be white, yellow or pinkish.

Be VERY careful that you do not confuse Yarrow with Poison Hemlock , which is pretty common and got its name for a reason.

8. Dock

Dock is really common around my area. It will reduce local pain and help swelling. In addition the leaves can be eaten like spinage. It can help to prevent anemia in Sit X where meat might not be readily availible.

9. White Oak

Salicilin and asprin are synthesised from oak bark. You want to use the softer, inner bark. It is nurtritious and may help bleeding gums. In addition, acorns are edible!

These are just some suggestions. I may post more later. Anyone else, feel free to chime in.

[edit on 1-7-

[edit on 1-7-2008 by asmeone2]

mod edit: attempt to fix link

[edit on 1-7-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
some great herbs mentioned in you post mate, I just used some white oak bark today as a matter of fact.

While these are great herbs I would have to buy most of them here in the south western mountains.

My suggestion to all interested in this topic is to study the plants of your region, or the region you will fly to in a SitX.

For me the best introductory book was "Wild Plants of the Pueblo Provence". Books like this are a great way to begin to get to know the plants around you and their uses. Then taking the study further will greatly aid you in surviving for long periods in your region.

I say this not to dismiss the information you chose to share, just to point out that white oak bark, plantain, and aloe vera are just like penicillin to me, they have to be imported and stored. Best to begin to develop a relationship with the palnts that grow where you live and count on those to survive.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

I should clarify that I am just north of Dallas, so these plants are pretty readily availible there, but obviously might not be in other places of the US.

The best books for herbal learning are, in my opinion, The How-To Herb Book by Velma Keith and Monteen Goldsmith for remedies, and Reader's Digest's Magic and Mystery of Plants.

Of course, nothing beats getting out becoming familiar with your area.

I also reccomend keeping a bit of vodka around. It's disintectant and can also be used to preserve herbs as tinctures.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Vodka is a good suggestion. Once again I would like to say I was not trying to dismiss your point only make it more available and useful to people where they live.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

Ah, I didn't take it as dismissal.

I can't do a region-by-region lowdown on the best herbs, but the ones in the list are readily availible in a pretty wide area, I think.

Hopefully, other people from other places will chime in with suggestions.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Well some for the northern reaches of the Rio Grande Valley:

Coyote Willow Salix exigua

The bark is also like an asprine and anti inflammatory. The sticks can be used for bow drills for making fire.

Cottonwoods and Aspens: Populus femontii , tremuloidies

Catkins can be eaten raw, or were traditionally used in meat stews.

cylinders of cottonwood can be used as splints.

Joint Fir Ephedra spp.

Chewing the stems of this plant will quench your thirst.

Broom Snakeweed Gutierrezia sarothrae

A tea made of the whole plant except for the roots is an emteic (makes you vomit).This tea can also be used for arthritis, snakebites, and eye problems.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

Snakeweed is a good one.

And do you mean "cattails?"

I was going to make an edible plants thread as well, if this one is well received, and that was on my list.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   

"catkins" not "cattails". They are the flower structure on Populus species...Cottonwoods and aspens.

Edibles is a really great idea for a thread, do it up, I know more about edibles than about medicinals at least for my area (Santa Fe).

[edit on 1-7-2008 by Animal]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Jewel weed is good for poison ivy. I believe it grows almost everywhere poison ivy grows. Also skullcap is a great pain reliever. Valerian root is a natural sedative. Dandelion is good for stomach aches, gall stones, and I believe kidney stones.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by shadwgirl

Jewel Weed! Where are you from? I used that when I lived in Minnesota for Nettles and Poison Ivy. Nice to hear it mentioned it makes me think of the beautiful green woods and plains of my home.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I'm from Pittsburgh. I learned about jewel weed years ago from an eagle scout. It can clear up poison ivy in twenty minutes.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

That is a totally new one for me! But thanks for the info.

Gosh, it looks really alien.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by shadwgirl

How could I forget dandelions? That's probably the number 1 easily availible wild herb. It's a good salad herb, too.

I think Valaerian can be a little bit habit-forming for some. That''s worth keeping in mind.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
There is a very helpful website: www.swsbm.com...

I strongly urge my family and friends to print out all of the information on that website as a resource.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Pellevoisin

Wow, I am going to have to check that out in detail, it looks great though!

I think everyone should have a feild guide too, though. It will be much more portable than printed sheets, and less likely to run if it gets wet.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   

For people who will not have access to Prozac, Cymbalta, etc. Valerian may well prove an extremely important resource!

(For people caught in a mental meltdown without their medicines, salvia divinorum can also be momentarily helpful but only in the tiniest doses by chewing a leaf. The large consumption of salvia divinorum without proper shamanistic instruction and mental and spiritual preparation is a grave, grave mistake. Yet I do recommend it in situation-X for those who suffer clinical depression. A leaf could save a life on the trajectory from depression to despair to self-inflicted harm.)

One might consider stocking up on mood-soothing herbal compounds and tinctures in order to help family and friends who are 'caught out' without their anti-depressants.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   

That is a very wise thing to say, since so many people are currently on anti-depressants.

St. John's Wort works better, in my experience, than Valarian, though I'm not sure how readily availible it is in the wild. I have a plant, but I bought it.

They aren't as strong, but Catnip tea is a great moodlifter, as well, and Chamomile tea help calm you down.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   

I'm sure there are places in North America where St. John's Wort can be wildcrafted, but I suppose I was speaking from my own experience of what grows around my home. But I should see if I can cultivate St. John's Wort. That would be very good to have.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
You can use foxglove or bella donna for heart disease. I think nettles are good for illness. Yarrow is a good cure all. Goldenseal for infections.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   

It is a good one, though it seems a bit retarded by the heat. I spent all my allowance on an herb garden this year, and got some good stuff, but that I found at Wal-mart of all places! The irony.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join