It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court Systems failing

page: 1/
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I was just a juror in a two day trial. It involved hispanics(no english of course/illegals at least till child was born 4 years ago). The trial forced the use of translators- doubling the time(non knew english well enough to testify directly.

Local police interviewed no one, collected no evidence other than what was provided by the witness against the defendent. A detective "worked on the case" but failed to interview any neighbor where alledged shooting took place.

What is it going to be like in 5 years/10?

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackProjects

Why as soon as the media starts talking about who our newest race to hate everyone jumps on board? Blacks, Japanese, Middle Easterns, Hispanics. What happens when you become the one we are to hate. Will you still jump on board? If a person is a criminal then judge them for their crime. Being hispanic is not a crime. Not speaking English is not a crime. If you believe that everyone should speak the American language you had better learn Native American.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
looks like the courts are overwhelmed with too many cases.

The courts will postpone dates
until a translator can show up. Those translators are really busy.
The courts share translators too. I was at a court case where the translator
came running down the hall just in time. After that case, she had to
run off to the next.
If someone does not want to learn english,that should be fine but
they should pay for things like translators themselves. I say speak
whatever language you want, but if you want to understand and be
understood in the language of the land, thats your burden.

Everyones overwhelmed, the public defenders, the police, thats why
the cases are so sloppy.

Well, Its going to get much worse in the future, thats for sure.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
What makes English the language of the land?

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by harvib

English is the language of the land, spoken by a vast majority of people here. There is no reason they can't learn it.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by slackerwire

I see. So if somes fears are realized and Spanish becomes spoken by the majority will you hold yourself accountable for learning the new language of the land? Will you demand that when you are on trial that you are to pay for a translator?

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by harvib
What makes English the language of the land?

Hmmm in what language is the Declaration of Independence written in? Or the Constitution? Or the Budget or our laws? Or our street signs?

If you moved to Berlin, would you expect them to conform to the language you speak? Or would you be expected to learn the native language?

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by harvib

Hopefully I will long be dead when Spanish becomes the language spoken by the majority. If not, I would relocate, not out of a refusal to learn a new language, but the demographics would make me a minority. Why would I want to live in a place like that?

Overrun with 3rd world immigrants? No thanks.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Fair enough. The majority of those who also wrote those articles were Christian. Does that mean we should impose Christianity on people as well? Furthermore latin is on our own currency and emblems. How many of us know Latin?

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by harvib
reply to post by LDragonFire

Fair enough. The majority of those who also wrote those articles were Christian. Does that mean we should impose Christianity on people as well? Furthermore latin is on our own currency and emblems. How many of us know Latin?

Ever bother to ask yourself why all air traffic control communications must be in english?

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   

I find that a very sad point of view. We are all a minority in some regards and a majority in others. Do we no longer have any respect for individuality. There are other Countries that like to keep there Country "pure" in regards to race, religion, etc..

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by harvib

And there is nothing wrong with wanting to keep a country "pure". You act as if that is a bad thing.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I fail to see the point you are making. Are inferring that because Air Traffic control is done in English everyone should speak English? If this is your premise what makes the Air Traffic Controls' idiosyncrasy the standards we are all required to live by?

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by harvib

English is the language of business, if immigrants want to work, or conduct business of any type, they should be proficient in English.

Have any idea how many of my drive thru orders have been screwed up by minimum wage, non english speaking immigrants?

Tons.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by slackerwire
reply to post by harvib

And there is nothing wrong with wanting to keep a country "pure". You act as if that is a bad thing.

So it is your position that America should be kept racially "pure"? Who is then in charge of assiging the appointed race. I guess you had better hope they are the same as you.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by slackerwire
reply to post by harvib

English is the language of business, if immigrants want to work, or conduct business of any type, they should be proficient in English.

Please define immigrant. Is a second generation born of an immigrant still considered an immigrant, or third, or fourth? If so aren't most of us immigrants. If not then are you just offended by immigrants who primarilly speak Spanish?

Have any idea how many of my drive thru orders have been screwed up by minimum wage, non english speaking immigrants?

I see. So in order to avoid any inconvenience to you everyone should comply to your expectations of business?

[edit on 27-6-2008 by harvib]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Honestly the language/racial thing is only one part of this experience, bungeling police is even more concerning to me. You had to see this guy on the stand- his investigation was basically taking some pictures. I cut him slack..the detective w 8 years experience was more of a debacle

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by harvib

Take a look at the majority of the nation. Your answer lies there.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by harvib

If a 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 7th generation "immigrant" doesn't speak english, then one must ask what the hell is wrong with them.

If an immigrant gives birth to a child here (native born American) that child needs to speak english, regardless of the fact that they may learn their parents language as well.

Everyone should speak the language business is conducted in here, aka English.

[edit on 27-6-2008 by slackerwire]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Its not about race or religion, its about communication.

Since the beginning of this country, people came speaking
all sorts of different languages.
They all loved their language and the country
they came from. I'm sure if they could get by speaking only
their language they would have done it. Or if they could set up a
society to work using different languages, they would have done it.
How can you live side by side with
someone and not be able to communicate.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join