It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court Systems failing

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by cRiTiC

All you are doing is arguing to argue.

This is an unfair statement. I have a postion and an opinion. I feel strongly in my postion. As for the rest of your post I agree in it's entirety. What I do take issue with is when people make statements indicating that as a punishment for not talking "our" language their rights should be taken away. i.e. They should not be allowed to work, they should not be presumed innocent until proven guilty, etc..

My position is simple I believe that when you are demanding someone ele's rights be taken away you are conceding that your own should be removed as well. I would ask that people stop worrying about taking rights away from others and worry about protecting their own rights. If the free market does not support spanish, Japanesse,etc. so be it but to demand people learn a language is counterproductive to a free society.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by babylonstew

the guy behind the coutner says something in japanese, you cant understand that either

This is the greatness of the free market. If people don't want to buy something from somewhere for what ever reason then the business has to adapt or close. In other words if you feel businesses should only hire English speaking employees then only go to the establishments that do.

but by the way you are argueing, you wont be happy until that comes about

No my friend. I wont be happy if noone speaks English. But you can't live in a free society and demand that people conform to you. If this were to happen it would by my responsability to adapt to my surrondings or not, as I freely choose and the same is true of everyone else living in this Country.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I dunno if spanish became the language of the land, and whites became the minority, I might be inclined to stay.

That is if the Spanish in charge, had all welfare forms written in both languages, and provided me with more money than the average spanish person, as long as I can make babies, and live with my babies mother out of wedlock, so we can play the system, just like the immigrants are doing now....

I don't know it'd be a tough choice.

But I don't think any enthnic group is as foolish as the White americans when it comes to helping others until our own people can't even afford to pay house taxes.

So more than likely I'd be moveing.

And English is the Language of America, ever since we took the land from the Native American. Was it nice no...is it the truth yes.

So quit with the BS Native American is the US's language, or latin, cause it appears on some of our currency and coins. So are many other languages.

Watch the series on Nat. Geographic" Locked up abroad". Trust me, you get caught in a non english speaking country most likely you will be getting NO translator, and you'll likely rot or die in a foriegn jail. No trial, you wont understand the 90 seconds of words said at your arraignment and you'll be scared to death.

Many of the Larger Supermax jails in the US are over 80% Latin, the whites and blacks are the minority, it's crazy Latinos in US jails, are living very good. I wonder what the US is gonna look like in 25-30 years if this trand continues.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Nola213

Do you understand how old this debate is??? It is a new face but still the same debate. The Italians, the Irish, the Chinese, the Japanese, the vietanamese, the Laotian, and now the Hispanics. Are we all speaking Japanese or chinese, or anything other then English?

Trust me, you get caught in a non english speaking country most likely you will be getting NO translator, and you'll likely rot or die in a foriegn jail. No trial, you wont understand the 90 seconds of words said at your arraignment and you'll be scared to death.

Isn't America supposed to be diffrent. It is very sad to see so many people arguing so hard on why we should change ourselves to be the same as everyother oppresive society. We are the only Country that was founded to be free and I see it changing. I hear people say that our government is taking our rights away but that is wrong. Noone is taking our rights away we are giving them up. And why? Because we seem to believe we must in order to stop the enemy. Always an enemy but who loses in the end, us, and by our own hand.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
You guys think you have a problem. We have 11 official languages, as well as quite a few other unofficial languages (think Zimbabwean, Mozambique refugees). The same thing happens in our courts.

Luckily, common sense has prevailed and English is generally spoken in business.

On the subject of being African or European:
As a white south african who can track his heritage in Africa back for almost 400 years, I am still regarded as a settler. Sad really.

Personally, I believe that if a person is in court he/she has a right (as far as possible) to hear their trial in a language that they best understand. Else, how are you able to defend yourself adequately?

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

All the more reason to learn the language of the land you're in.

Learn the language, no need for translators.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by slackerwire

That sounds great in theory, I can speak 2 languages, and understand a few more. However I am not a linguist and even in my second language I would miss quite a few things.

I am sure you may be able to pick up languages and be as fluent in them as your mother tongue, but not many others can do that.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   

i hear what you are saying dan but unfortunately for the non english speaking people and even more for the english speaking people here we only have one official language ,,,,, english .
if we were to have a court for every language spoken here then we would have to have 30 different courts and that is not possible at this time .

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ironman433

Good point, I'll grant you that. Your country has one official language - thats the point right? "Official" - as in language of government and its branches including the justice system. Viva La Diffrence.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Actually languages are my mental block for some reason. Had to work my butt off to learn 2 fluently, and enough to get by in 3 other languages.

It isn't too much to ask of immigrants to learn the language before they enter the country.

Hell, I'm running for President in 2016, after I get elected it will be mandatory.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   

What other rights will you be taking away? Removal of rights seems to be the trend, you'll fit right in. So much for a free country...

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by harvib

I don't plan on taking away any rights. Nor have I even suggested it.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Let's just cut through all the crap on th language confusion offshoot.

First, I'm not for having things printed at taxpayers expense in two languages simply because a person refuses to learn a anew language. However, that is the necessary training wheels when a person arrives.

On the other hand being denied the opportunity to adequately defend yourself for whatever reason denies one of a human right. It is the same as putting a deaf person in a court room.

Yes, the system is broken.
Yes, it will get worse.

And I'll bet we're all gonna die. Just you watch.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   

I don't plan on taking away any rights. Nor have I even suggested it.

It isn't too much to ask of immigrants to learn the language before they enter the country.

Hell, I'm running for President in 2016, after I get elected it will be mandatory.

How would you prepose you force people to learn a language?

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by harvib

Iv been following your posts on this thread and you seem to me and I am gonna guess to every other reader as a concited S.O.B. wether or not you are is beside the point, you are pulling arguments out of none that existed before, i sir am callin you a TROLL!

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Pro-genetic

sir i had to give you a star for that post because you said just what i was thinking .

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by harvib

If they want to enter the country, proficiency in English must be shown beforehand.

Not very difficult at all.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   

+1 I'm surprised there's even a debate about this

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pro-genetic
reply to post by harvib

Iv been following your posts on this thread and you seem to me and I am gonna guess to every other reader as a concited S.O.B. wether or not you are is beside the point, you are pulling arguments out of none that existed before, i sir am callin you a TROLL!

Well I have to admit I do seem to hold the minority opinion. I was hoping people would maybe see things from my perspective even if they disagreed. If I came off as a "concited S.O.B." I apologize. That was not my intention. I will concede that I seem to have made little impact.

I just hope people will not be so quick to demand others be forced to live the way they think they should. To each his own...

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   

I guess we just disagree on what America should stand for. I know we have agreed on other threads just not this one. I am glad to have people challenge my views, without differing opions we wouldn't have our individuality. Good luck to you.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join