It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Return of the Honey Bees!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
No bees here just plain old yellow jackets ...... hate those things... yeah yeah they are technically indigenous but bees are just that much more useful...

Here! Here! Down with Yellow Jacket! Up with Bees!

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Thank you for a positive thread!

I am very happy to hear the bees are on the mend.

I myself have noticed a lot of big fat bumble bees in my garden this year.

I assume my bees are wild ones, and not the threatened commercial ones however. Unless you are in farm country, your's would probably also be wild.

I gave you a flag. Just for having something positive to say!

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Thank you for a positive thread!

I am very happy to hear the bees are on the mend.

I myself have noticed a lot of big fat bumble bees in my garden this year.

I assume my bees are wild ones, and not the threatened commercial ones however. Unless you are in farm country, your's would probably also be wild.

I gave you a flag. Just for having something positive to say!

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
A month or so ago I posted about a good number of bees in my yard as well, I think it was in a thread about "Good News". Now there are even more, triple the amount at least. But I also noticed A LOT more at my in-law's (the greatest in-laws in the world BTW) house which is at a significantly higher elevation. I wonder if that makes a difference?

But yeah, as far as the mono-crops...I wouldn't want to eat the same thing everyday!
I have also wondered if the bees got smarter regarding professional hives - so the mono-crop thing makes sense. I mean nobody wants to work for the man...right?

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
this is great news!
my wife recently returned from a 2 week volunteer session in the south bay in the woods outside of san ramone.

one day she went for a meditation and picked a random spot to meditate.
once she settled in, she said she heard this amazing buzzing sound all around her. she noticed a large group of very busy bee's gathering and doing their business and enjoyed the hum of their wings.

she called when she was there just to tell me about it and how it made her day.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Good news is seldom reported. Those who are into gloom and doom don't truly want to know when positive things happen. Those who write the articles know good news does not sell.

I did not read the other posts, but I'll bet you get posts from angry people in denial who may actually get upset the bee's are back. Very much likes those who are pissed about the global temperature not rising for a few years and the arctic ice coming back. I can almost see them tearing the articles out of newspapers and magazines before anyone else sees them. Ignore me, I've had too much coffee today.

The wild bee's were never in decline. This only affected the domestic bee's. I have lot of paper wasps in my yard I'd be glad to send to anyone who wants them? We are having a very cold Spring and Summer here and they keep trying to move indoors. This Global Warming is way to cold for them.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I've seen a lot of them today myself.

First bee's I've seen in about 2 years. Maybe they all took a long vacation?

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
I have pretty extensive flower and vegetable gardens, which suffered over the last 2 years from poor pollination. This coincided with the much-publicized missing honey bee phenomenon, which has a number of hypothetical explanations but no hard scientific proof, so far. They've come up with vague, nondescript names for the phenomenon, such as vanishing bee syndrome and colony collapse disorder, but there's no universally accepted explanation for it. It remains a scientific mystery.

However, I've noticed this spring and early summer that my gardens are populated with probably three times as many honey bees as last year. They're everywhere.

I haven't heard anything about the honey bee problem in the news media for a long time, so I started looking for new information on the situation. Strangely, while I found a lot of old articles (from a year or two ago) about the vanishing bee phenomenon, I couldn't find any current information, except for the following:

Return of the Honey Bees

This pretty much confirmed my observations that the bees are back in town. But why isn't this story on front pages around the world? When bees were vanishing, it was a lead news story everywhere, and the eco-doomsayers were calling it the beginning of the end for humankind.

Now that the bees are returning, why aren't we celebrating?

Or is it that only bad news is good for the green movement?

[edit on 6/24/2008 by Doc Velocity]

My place has an overabundance of flowers this year. I think it is nature's way of compensating. Less bees ,larger more fragrant blooms to bring em back.

[edit on 25-6-2008 by ohioriver]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
very good news. I try to stay aware of mother nature.

We seem to have removed ourselves from the heartbeat of the earth, we forget that everything is connected.

The fact that we see the bees is always good news.

My Grandmother loved honey bees!

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I dont see many honey bee around here. Mostly bumblebees and mud daubers...

But also those strange and scary bluish wasp wich I never seen before and have tons now. I usually find around 25 of those in my pool everyday.

I hope they are not blue mud daubers since they prey primarly on Black Widow Spiders.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Glen Ackroyd is dealing with his most devastating losses in nearly three decades of beekeeping.
www.owensoundsuntimes.com...

Oh oh! Maybe its not all good news yet. i did a quick search and this came up. 23 hours old.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
hey hey hey!!!!

I figured it out!

The Aliens Took Em!

They got sick of being stung so they brought 'em back!

Yay Bees!

Coven

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Very few bees in my yard in S. Indiana. Used to really have to watch yourself walking bearfoot, not a problem now. I don't think theres any reason to be shouting the bees are back. Theyre always (I should hope, anyway) going to be some in places, less in others, but it seems the concensus is the pop's are down.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
On 60 Minutes here in Australia, the decline of the honey bees was noted as being significantly due to a form of parasite which there was -no- answer to, pretty much. The bees couldn't defend themselves against it, and the parasite could just leap from bee to bee, killing it slowly, and go right into the hives and suck all the life out of it. Australia is pretty much the only country to not yet have the parasites (something that could change, if it slips past quarantine), and so Australian bees were being shipped out to places like America to help with their shortage. Not sure what the present state of anti-parasite research is, though.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

No kidding the bees are back. I got stung walking over to a friends apartment last week wednesday. I hadn't been stung by a bee in at least 15 years!

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
ok did you hear that Australia was sending bees around the world to help?

maybe they are Aussie bees?

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
This is interesting! They haul these 'hives' around to pollinate crops, and when the bees return to the hive at dark, they seal up the hive and move to the next field. Well, if I recall, 80% of the bees that were doing this, vanished. And only on crops with chemical fertilizers. The organic lost none. So, one poster says they have brought hives in from Down Under. And that is only a temp fix, as the chemicals will affect the new bees precisely the same way. They will get lost, and not return. Problem returns. You are onlyh fixing the symptom, not the cause. If you stop polluting the crops, the bees will survive. If you produce more food, more people to eat it are born. Eventually, so many people, you can't feed them. Now, most bees today are interbred with the African bees, making beekeeping a hazardous profession.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
The real question is will Humans learn from this mistake? The sad answer is no!. Human will continue to sow GM crops, irrigate the land with pesticides and forget that Humans are part of a biosystem and if that biosystem is destroyed then Humans are destroying themselves in the process.
We need to go back to baiscs in farming and go organic ! It will be much more healthier for us in the long run and also help the Planet too. We only have one Home. Let's not destroy it. mars aint a place i would want to live on if Earth became uninhabitable !!!

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
The bees disappeared because they were essentially fattened pigs.

Over the past few months I've been following a stream of daily updates about colony collapse disorder (CCD), the phenomenon in which bees abandon their hives and disappear. CCD continues to be reported throughout the U.S. and Canada - a potential disaster for food crops that require pollination. Most of the updates I've seen come from newspapers that detail local incidences of CCD. And most of them read the same: a description of the overall problem followed by interviews with local beekeepers. Each of these accounts notes the various theories about what causes CCD (all speculation at this point): fungi, bacteria, pesticides, parasitic mites, weakened immune systems, and even interference from cell phone towers. But this week I came across an entirely different CCD article. The title: "No ORGANIC Bee Losses."

More

P.S. It would do you good to subscribe to that site. It's free and you'll learn a lot about medical facts not reported by the sheeple media.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join