It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slovenia nuclear plant shut down after water leak

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Slovenia nuclear plant shut down after water leak

www.sfgate.com

European Union headquarters issued an alert Wednesday to all its member nations after an incident at a nuclear power plant in Slovenia.

The EU's executive body said it was informed by Slovene authorities about a problem with the Krsko nuclear plant's primary cooling system. The plant was implementing a safe shutdown procedure and no discharge into the environment had been immediately detected, the executive body said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.reuters.com...

[edit on 4-6-2008 by ats1629]

[mod-edit]

From the submissionform:

Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source. If the headline is biased or otherwise inapporpriate, provide a descriptive headline that is accurate and reflects the article you're submitting. Submissions with inaccurate, biased or otherwise deceptive headlines may be removed.

[edit on 4/6/2008 by khunmoon]

[edit on 4/6/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
This is just breaking

www.sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4/6/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
A nuclear incident during the opening week of the European Football Championship, which is held in Switzerland and Austria (which shares a border with Slovenia) seems very coincidental. All major cities in both host countries are packed with 100.000's of football fans from all over Europe.

Very bad timing.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Hopefully they'll be able to initiate a safe shutdown without incident. I'm curious as to what would have caused the 'loss of coolant'.

[edit on 4-6-2008 by Chonx]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
This incident is in Krsko
www.nucleartourist.com...

It is in Southeastern Slovenia.. closer to the Croatia

www.aboutromania.com...

Here is some more info on Slovenia... They said it was a heavily populated area...
www.cia.gov...

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
BBC are reporting it is OK.

The European Commission says there has been no discharge into the environment. No explosion was reported either.

A nuclear incident during the opening week of the European Football Championship, which is held in Switzerland and Austria (which shares a border with Slovenia) seems very coincidental. All major cities in both host countries are packed with 100.000's of football fans from all over Europe.

Very bad timing.

Yeah, very bad timing.

[edit on 4/6/2008 by khunmoon]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   

European Commission on a Wednesday in communication tudtatta, that Krsko working on Slovenia's noon West part atomic plant cooling water system local time according at 17.38 a breakdown happened. The safety equipment of the power station consisting in the neighbourhood of the Slovene-Croatian border was activated promptly, putting the reactor down currently lasts. Slovenia's authorities informed European Commission about the breakdown in ECURIE information system framework, that passed the news on to the member states.)
visz.rsoe.hu...

i attempted to get a current update on the situation; however, none was available.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
It is perfectly normal for all EU members to be alerted in the case of any malfunction, however "minor", in any of its nuclear plants and such facilities. And so, this is not the first time that "alerts" like this have been received by the appropriate EU commission.

Right now, the plant is working at cca 20% capacity, in order to facilitate the examination and identification of the cause.

Considering that nuclear power is involved, I am not going to say that "there is absolutely nothing to worry". But it the situation is definitely nowhere as alarming as this article makes it sound.

Of course, personally I would rather see all nuclear plants everywhere closed down, but that's a different story...

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Austrian news is reporting Slovenia initially tried to pass the incident off as an exercise. They demand an explanation as to why Slovenia chose not to warn them even though the Europe-wide early warning system had already been initiated.

Link (for those who read German)

Reuters is reporting everything is under control and repairs will begin after the plant has finished cooling down.

uk.reuters.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
They always lie about this nuclear stuff.. Look at the Chinese.. It took them a while to say there was some sort of nuclear incendent after the quake.. I wont even get into Russia...Hopefully there really is no leak here.. It seems like they never want to panic people so they say nothing is wrong and then three weeks later you hear about the fact that a small amount was released...

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ats1629

Last time I checked, Slovenia was ever apart of the USSR* and was a member of the European Union - a democracy too. Hate to point out the obvious - or even shock you - but the Berlin wall did come down you know.

So, the premise of your argument is flawed because they (communists) no longer control Eastern Europe. And, pointing out the obvious (again), the Soviet Union has been gone for 16 years too.

So they (communists) cannot be lying to the people in order to prevent panic.

* Was apart of Yugoslavia instead...my mistake

[edit on 4-6-2008 by infinite]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Symer

Slovenia did not quality for the Euro 2008.
This could be their punishment on Switzerland-Austria..

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Symer
Austrian news is reporting Slovenia initially tried to pass the incident off as an exercise. They demand an explanation as to why Slovenia chose not to warn them even though the Europe-wide early warning system had already been initiated.

Link (for those who read German)

Reuters is reporting everything is under control and repairs will begin after the plant has finished cooling down.

uk.reuters.com...

No, it's not the "Austrian news" - it's only Die Krone...
Reputable sources, like the Wiener Zeitung, amazingly, have nothing on the "story", nor does the OeRF, the main broadcaster.

That's because it's not true.
The plant alerted the corresponding governing body itself, and the governing body alerted the EU commission. Standard procedure.

[edit on 4-6-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

It would admittedly be helpful if news sources posted reliability stats on their front page. Or "Do not take our news seriously"-warning signs.

Regardless, Die Presse is reporting the same thing. Are they also not to be trusted?

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
There were rumours over here in Poland in the morning about some nuclear incident in Europe. It's now 22:03 (10:03PM) here and only now I'm finding news about it on websites and TV. The supposed incident in Slovenia occured at 17:38... where did the morning rumours come from, then?

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by relu84
There were rumours over here in Poland in the morning about some nuclear incident in Europe. It's now 22:03 (10:03PM) here and only now I'm finding news about it on websites and TV. The supposed incident in Slovenia occured at 17:38... where did the morning rumours come from, then?

There were no rumours or reports in the United Kingdom.
We have only just found out about it now and the media is taking no notice of it really.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ats1629

Isn't your original self authored thread title a bit alarmist seeking?

No reason for that; this is just an operational incident. Hardly anything alternative about it; if it wasn't because its nuclear plant not even a news.

Don't make up any catasrophies. Don't worry, plenty 'real' are in the making.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

I haven't heard the rumours personally, but a friend of mine claims he heard something in the morning, and a few minutes ago one journalist said on TV about hearing such a thing too...

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by relu84

A reactor was shut down in the Czech Republic yesterday. Maybe that was the reason for the "morning rumours"?

Staff at Dukovany nuke plant close one unit owing to human error

June 3

Staff at Czech nuclear power station Dukovany had to shut down one of the plant's four blocks owing to human error today, spokesman Petr Spilka has said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by khunmoon

The title here was the original title of the article linked. I know because I was about to post the same news.

Also, exactly 2 weeks ago Sweden had a bomb scare at their nuclear plant, plus news coming from the Czech Republic yesterday as Hellmutt posted. In all likelyhood completely unrelated, still it merits discussion in my opinion. Signs for those who take notice? Misdirection?

I also vaguely remember talk of a terror plot to disrupt the tournament in the following weeks. Food for thought?

[edit on 4/6/08 by Symer]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join