It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Energy Fears Looming, New 'Survivalists' Prepare : Washington Post

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by regeya

If your going to stay at home, you best be able to defend what you have got.(in America anyway)
I suppose its just a bit different for us Aussies. Not everyone has a gun and the people that do, don't have high calibre assault weapons.
If there is mass exit from cities, then hope that they don't come to your town. for those of us that live in small towns. (my towns population is less than 10,000) I cant imagine a few million people walking through it. much less being able to defend my house with some knives and maybe a staff. even if I had a .22 its not much of a deterrent.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Enthralled Fan

I have considered both situations and personally working on both.
Its not a bad thing to prepare for both, and despite whatever we think sit.x might be, theres no harm in being prepared for both. imo

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

Hi thichheaded, where are you physically? I'm in the NE US. My wife and I just left a "ghetto" of sorts. I would be interested in your story.

Gram

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
ALL i have to say remember y2k!!!!!!!!its just another way to get people to buy more stuff and instill more fear just remember you cant stop the end of the world if it happens it happens oh well.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by blasphemusbudda

the way i look at it is that the item's that you purchase can be used at any time and they are all things that you most likely buy for a natural disaster survival kit anyway. just look at the northridge quake or katrina , everything that you purchace would apply in either of those situation's right? it's better to be prepared than to get caught with your pants down .

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Starred and Flagged.

Another great post DD, you seem to be one of the resident news reporters

On a serious note, this is definately a cause for concern, and the people who are not preparing need to and need to do so quickly. I'm not saying go and break the bank, you can survive if you bankrupt yourself getting supplies. Get an extra bag of rice/flour/sugar or some cans of tuna/chicken/chili/spam(ick) next time you go to the store. If you own a gun, go buzz by the gun shop and get a little extra ammo. If you don't own a gun, are not morally opposed to one, can purachse one legally, and can afford it, get one, get some ammo and practice with it. It could save your life.

Learn some basics, learn how to build a fire and cook on it. Learn how to build a shelter. Learn what some of the local edible plants are. Plant a garden. Read up on how to field dress game, and go out and do it this next coming season. Practice Practice Practice

Talk to your family, friends and nieghbors, get a plan of action "just in case". I use natural disasters and economic woes to spur up the conversation, you would be amazed on how quickly you can get a good group togeather.

Also, last but not least, check out the ATS Survival Board and learn. Yes there is some crazy stuff in there, just like the rest of ATS, so you need to sift a little now and again. There are a lot of knowlageable people there who can advise you while you are preparing.

If all of this blows over without a hitch, and we're all safe, then great. You are ready should anything else happen. With life, the only constant is change.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
If there is a nuclear war what good are all the survival skills then. It won't matter how good your survival skills are because if your not dead from the ground zero explosion, chances are you'll soon die from the aftermath. If anyone is thinking Iodine pills will save them they better think again because those pills will only help with so much radiation your body absorbs.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join