It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Energy Fears Looming, New 'Survivalists' Prepare : Washington Post

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 05:30 AM
link   
People have been doing this for decades. This does ,however, seem to be one of the most urgent times in a few decades. Things could turn around for the better though, if the US would start using our oil supplies, still this would only be a bandaid for a couple of decades.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   
wow it's a good thing ATS has a survival forum.
There's so much usefull information available on this site alone about it that any one who chooses to read through the threads would be much better off.

I know that a lot of people here are quite the Chicken Little types. But as I said before we cannot sustain our existance on this planet in the fassion we are acustomed to.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
another thing im planning to do is learn to make my own mead

seems a relatively easy and inexpensive way to make sure i can supply for future celebrations (no matter how bad life gets we still must make time to celebrate!!) and can also be used for barter. All you need is yeast, honey, and water...its one of the lowest maintenance aperetifs to make! and usually drinkable in 2-3 months.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by pexx421
I never have hunted before but im gonna learn this year, and how to strip and dress my own deer. Only problem is ill be living in new orleans which is not a good place to be without power.

Try to get to know some people on the northshore that have a lot of open land around Kentwood/Independence. Lots of deer there to hunt.

As for losing power, yeah a lot of that goes on anyhow. Remember though that if you're living in New Orleans proper you are going to be pretty far away from any place to hunt/fish if you're depending on gas to get there. Sad to say but for "Sportsman's Paradise" there are few places accessible for fishermen that don't have a boat.

There are quite a few people stocking up here though, considering we have to do so for hurricane season anyhow. I know people that shocked me this year telling me about preparations I never would have expected to hear them making; rain barrels, firearms, buying survival food packages via the net, etc.

Needless to say you're in good company, and if anything you can count on our slightly less than intelligent city government to not know exactly what to do if things do go down the tubes.
However, remember that we're the only city that I know of with a full National Guard presence as police officers, so we're probably going to be the easiest city to have an iron fist come down hard on.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82

There are quite a few people stocking up here though, considering we have to do so for hurricane season anyhow. I know people that shocked me this year telling me about preparations I never would have expected to hear them making; rain barrels, firearms, buying survival food packages via the net, etc.

Speaking of Kentwood, the salvage store in town across the street from the Library, was selling MRE type meals the last time I was there for a very good price. This store is also a very good place to pick up things like canned goods, and rice for next to nothing. Just make sure you check the dates.

Needless to say you're in good company, and if anything you can count on our slightly less than intelligent city government to not know exactly what to do if things do go down the tubes.
However, remember that we're the only city that I know of with a full National Guard presence as police officers, so we're probably going to be the easiest city to have an iron fist come down hard on.

Hmmm, I thought the National Guard was supposed to all be leaving sometime this summer. Haven't you seen the commercials where they are looking for new police officers? A couple of weeks ago they mentioned on the news that the commercials were going to go national due to low responses.

edit to add:

Also if you are interested, there are also good salvage stores in Folsom and Franklinton.

[edit on 25-5-2008 by Enthralled Fan]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Enthralled Fan

Hmm.. I didn't know about those salvage stores.

Also there is the one in Elmwood on Jefferson Highway that can be checked out. Honestly I never thought about hitting those places to stock up! Thanks for that idea. Speaking of Elmwood, on River Road, there is a place near the bridge that sells the 100 gallon drums to collect rain water for storage, and I from what I heard their prices are not bad and they are willing to cut deals when you buy two or more.

In regards to NOPD, I can't say that I have noticed the commercials only because I don't watch TV (don't even own one,) but I am sure it is a hard sell to get people to be police officers in this city. As for the Nat'l Guard leaving this summer, haven't heard about that, but again no tele.

I am happy to hear that people are stocking up, if anything that shows the level of awareness that a lot of people are getting that things are not right. Whether this is a false alarm or not, the fact that there are more people than I realized walking with their eyes open gives me some sense of hope.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
I think many people realize whats going on, but, they don't want the perception that they are some kind of nut, so they prepare quietly. This just goes to show more and more people are really on our side.

I'll agree with that to some extent and, very promising to me... I was at the bar (pub, for some of you
) last night and ran into a gentlemen around 65-70, and apparently not hindered by much, physically or mentally...

I started questioning him, for his take on everything that is going on in our world. Off the bat, I determined he did not ever go online and I gathered he didn't watch for much news. But, he was in total agreement with me along the lines of alot of what we are saying here at ATS. And he knows it's going to get to the boiling point. It was just good to hear that this guy knows that things just aren't right.

Additionally, there was a band playing, which had come up from Tennesee (Derryl Perry). I don't usually go for the 'country' sounds, but it was more of a country 'rock' with a few 'traditional' country tunes mixed in, but I recommend you see them, if given the chance. Some original, some covers... but I didn't know the difference since I didn't know much of it anyway
They definitely put on a good show and the one gal plays one hell of a fiddle...

... anyway, my story off that is, I spoke to the lead guitar player and let him know I was the one who had left a paper on the stage for them that evening, containing many links, including ATS. (I printed some 20 copies and spread them around the bar; all gone by the end of the night) And after my initial question to him about 'things' in the world, he came back at me with Zeitgeist and Esoteric Agenda and Freedom to Facism, all of which I had linked on the paper. Again, good to know more and more people are on the same page. There will come a time we will, however, need to become silent on these boards. That silence will then need to be broken...

The Federalist No. 28

[para. 6] If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government, and which against the usurpations of the national rulers, may be exerted with infinitely better prospect of success than against those of the rulers of an individual state. In a single state, if the persons intrusted with supreme power become usurpers, the different parcels, subdivisions, or districts of which it consists, having no distinct government in each, can take no regular measures for defense. The citizens must rush tumultuously to arms, without concert, without system, without resource; except in their courage and despair. The usurpers, clothed with the forms of legal authority, can too often crush the opposition in embryo. The smaller the extent of the territory, the more difficult will it be for the people to form a regular or systematic plan of opposition, and the more easy will it be to defeat their early efforts. Intelligence can be more speedily obtained of their preparations and movements, and the military force in the possession of the usurpers can be more rapidly directed against the part where the opposition has begun. In this situation there must be a peculiar coincidence of circumstances to insure success to the popular resistance.

And there is one pic at the top of this post for you.

Some people are not preparing so quietly.

Did I get off topic?

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
here's something that nobody has touched on yet that i am doing in conjunction with my other preparations , collecting and keeping electronics broken or not.
my thought is that i want access to things like communications scanners , two way radio's of different frequencies , solar panel's , old laptop batteries and a various list of other important electronic part's so i can minimize any surprises that might be coming my way from the opposition . plus those kinds of item's might bring in some necessary supplies on the black market in a pinch .
just some " no pun intended " food for thought brothers and sisters . i sure would like to keep in communication with my people here on ATS .

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Well folks I have been recycling and stocking supplies long before it became a fashion. I have this year turned most of my garden over to growing fruit and veg. I have large stocks of suppplies hidden away, even fuel supplies, also not all us brits throw food away.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by steandgina

Your wrong

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

Like Agent T said it's happening but just a bit quieter.

So SHHHHHH

Take care.

Regards
Lee

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by RabbitChaser

A lot more people are on to this than meets the eye for sure Rabbit. I talk to people all the time, people who have nothing to do with ATS and they all are on the same page as us. Something just does not feel right. We are still in the far minority though. There are a lot of sheeple out there who truly listen to everything the government spouts at them and continue to spend and consume like there are no issues at all. They continue to fill their SUV and go on with life like theirs no issues. I fell this will happen in two steps.

First step a financial crash. The dollar will become worthless as more and more countries and people dump it and as the government continues to spend it like its going out of style.

The second step will be because of the first step and that is WW3. The US will need to conquer to get the resources to cover all of this debt and to revive the worthless dollar. Millions will die and in the end I feel the US empire will come to an end. I feel our last chance for us is to elect a leader like Ron Paul and that is not a plug it is a reality.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by niteboy82

I love those salvage stores! While the ones in Folsom and Franklinton basically deal in food (the folsom store also has salvage liquor - name brand) The one in Kentwood sometimes gets an odd assortment of goods, so when I am passing by I always stop in.

Last time I was there, I also found a great assortment of Good Chef bakeware. Roasting pans, cookie sheets, and utensils for a buck. Brand new with the labels on them. They also had emergency candles, four to a box for $1.00. I have also purchased flashlights there in the past, and mini tool kits. You never know what you will find there.

We have a camper that is now well stocked in case we have to leave town for an emergency. It's full of food that will keep, like dried beens, and rice, spices and cookwear! Even if we had to take it out in the middle of nowhere, we could get by for quite a while in it. We also keep it full of clothes, and everything else we might need, so that if we have to leave in a hurry we don't have to worry about grabbing things from the house.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
This is intense..... How long do you guys have food supplies for?

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
i won't tell you that for my own reasons but i will say this , make sure you have enough MRE's for everyone in your family to last long enough for your crops to be ready for harvest . then that plus any animal's you can get for the meat will get you started

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ironman433

Yeah, I agree.

Not to be rude to anyone, but when it comes to discussing any plans that I may have, I speak only in the vaguest terms. I'm not going to be giving the PTB a clue on what any of my planning may entail. :shk:

Sad that we have to even think about such things, but when discussing such situations, it is almost a requirement.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
www.projectcamelot.net...

planetxforecast.com...

planetxforecast.com...

i'm gonna wait and see...i hope it passes by where it doesnt do much to us,but i have no idea.

all i know is we are still here and it has come and gone many times...i still dont know for sure though

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Well, since the PTB already know every move I make, I don’t mind discussing what I’ve done at all. I’ve got a garden full of heirloom seed veggies: corn, beans, tomatoes, watermelon, potatoes, etc. I’ve got a storage room full of freeze dried and dehydrated food, a generator, some solar generating capacity, all manner of emergency supplies including a little gasoline with stabilizer added. I’ve also got an extra coil and CPU for my car that I keep in a big old microwave to protect them against EMP. I collect rainwater and filter that through a Berkey for my drinking water. The fun part is going to be trying to get all this stuff over to my mother’s place if/when the fertilizer hits the air circulation device. They have a much more defendable location, more land, and the guns/ammo. Unfortunately, she’d rather have a bunch of Christmas, Easter, Halloween and Thanksgiving decorations than the things she’s really going to need. At least her hubby is into guns, and they know all this stuff is here if they need it, and I no longer do.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I live in denmark and think it's funny how the situation looks like it's getting more and more out of controle without anyone around me seems to care at all. I have been trying to give some hints on my thoughts, but not telling the full story. People would see me as a nut as they probably think "things is changing all the time, economy is going up and down"

We, as probably any other nation in the world, seems to lack MSM coverage on current non-national events & situations, and the coverage of highly unimportant issues gets all the attention.

The upcoming world situation is probably unavoidable, but nevertheless i think is it for the good of humanity - a "need-to-do" thing in our natural evolution. But of course, this will not make the trip through the next years any better, would it now?

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
There is definitely something in the air, so to speak, as recently a lot of people have been a lot more interested in learning survival. More and more people i know are preparing to live off the grid, and self reliant. A lot of people are realizing that there's going to be a major shift in something soon.

As for me, i'm one man, i know how to survive in the bush, and i've got my big frame pack ready to sling, with shelter, bedroll, mess kit, axe, rifle, and enough ammo to take down big game for years. I've got a small stash of rice and other foods in 5 gallon buckets, if i have time and a way to carry, i can grab a bucket of rice and have food for a long time. I eat lots of rice anyways.

I can also find food in nature, there's a lot to eat in the wild if you're efficient at harvesting and cooking it. I'd rather not stockpile large amounts of anything just because it's easier to just go out and get food from nature. For me, a month supply of food, all my gear, and pack probably weighs in around 50-60lbs, not unreasonable by far for me, i can carry it easily for long haul, and it'll get lighter as i use it. That would be about the most i'd carry, and what i'd grab if i knew i was going away for a long time to elude catastrophe, in whatever form.

For simple hikes and "camping" trips, i usually don't carry much of anything, a small LED, a pocketknife, lighter or matches, and whatever i'm wearing, as i pretty much always dress the same, subdued earthy colors, tan, grey, drab green, same color turban, so basically i'm always in my "BDUs" (organic hemp fiber), unless i'm naked.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rumrunner

I can't help but think of Matt 7:14.. ' 14For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.'

For those of us in the western world today how true those words might turn out to be.

This is why I read the KJV, and hate the other translations. The other translations change the words around to make the verse mean something else, and make it seem harder to follow Jesus than it really is.

What ever your version is, it is telling you that it will basically be hard to follow Jesus, his teachings, and to follow the narrow path. It is not hard.

The KJV translation: Matt 7:14 "Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth until life, and few there be that find it." The only thing that might be hard about it is initially finding it. Then again any person can find any path if looking closely enough for it. Which goes along with the rest of the scriptures that say seek ye the lord.

You can say there is even a conspiracy here to change the Bible until it spouts New Age Ideologies.

New King James Bilbe: Counterfeit

King James Bible defended

As far as this supposed crisis, please view Lindsey Williams and the No Energy Crisis on You Tube.
No Enegry Crisis

There are eight parts about ten minutes each, and it was highly interesting to me.

He ministered up in Alaska to the men that worked on the oil pipelines and feilds there. He saved the oil companies thousands upon thousands of dollars, because the men no longer needed a ton of councling after he preached to them that they made him an executive. He sat with the people who made the decisions, and knew years ago that the price of oil was going to go to $4 a gallon, and heard rumors of $5 to $6 a gallon. It was all planned. That there is an oil field they found while he was up there that would have lasted America at least 200 years and brought the price of oil down to $1.58 a gallon. After he left that they even found another huge oil field in Alaska.

He goes into detail why Bush is in the war with Iraq and why he is threating Iran. Why we can't touch the oil in Alaska thanks to Henry Kissinger and the leaders of that day.

A congress man of that day endorsed the book and wrote the forward. The second printing Hal Burton helped him clarify some of the facts, all because the big bosses fired him after Lindsey printed the first version. He wanted to get back at them. After the second printing they hired him back. Whether or not he actually helped Lindsey or hindered him somehow, you decide. If you get the book, you can decide if you want the current version or the first version, or to compare both versions. I guess Hal added another whole chapter.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join