It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Energy Fears Looming, New 'Survivalists' Prepare : Washington Post

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Energy Fears Looming, New 'Survivalists' Prepare : Washington Post

www.washingtonpost.com

Convinced the planet's oil supply is dwindling and the world's economies are heading for a crash, some people around the country are moving onto homesteads, learning to live off their land, conserving fuel and, in some cases, stocking up on guns they expect to use to defend themselves and their supplies from desperate crowds of people who didn't prepare.

The exact number of people taking such steps is impossible to determine, but anecdotal evidence suggests that the movement has been gaining momentum in the last few years.

These energy survivalists are not leading some sort of green revolution meant to save the planet. Many of them believe it is too late for that, seeing signs in soaring fuel and food prices and a faltering U.S. economy, and are largely focused on saving themselves.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24-5-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
This is the second article I've seen in a major newspaper (the other article was in The NY Times) about an increasing rise in people navigating toward SURVIVALISM...It seems that a lot of people outside of us conspiracy theorists see the writing on the wall that is coming...

I'm not totally convinced we're at the peak oil stage yet, but make no mistake about it, if the war-profiteering maniacs start up their next conquest of war with Iran, we will see gas prices that NO ONE, save for the top tier elitists will be able to afford anymore. It's already fast becoming that as it is...

Some are doing it quietly, giving few details of their preparations _ afraid that revealing such information as the location of their supplies will endanger themselves and their loved ones. They envision a future in which the nation's cities will be filled with hungry, desperate refugees forced to go looking for food, shelter and water.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I think many people realize whats going on, but, they don't want the perception that they are some kind of nut, so they prepare quietly. This just goes to show more and more people are really on our side.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I can tell you from my own direct knowledge of friends and family that many are doing just that -- preparing quietly, forming small groups dedicated toward their mutual protection and survival. I don't really understand why there is anyone that doesn't do this, to tell you the truth.. I mean, getting a little extra to put away every time you shop, acquiring bush skills, learning homesteading skills, what can it hurt? I really hope, truly hope, to look back upon this time 15 years from now and share a laugh at myself with my friends. I PRAY those that are laughing now are still there 15 year from now.

Call me a whackamole, I DON"T mind

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
hey i live in england and i can say nobody is awake to whats going on around the world it seems like everyone is asleep here.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
It's about fracking time the media started to take notice of something other than Paris Hilton's latest hairdo!

Great post, DD!

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

This is an artificial crises. It's not so much that we do not have access to oil it's really that we do not build refineries.There also isn't any oil drilling taking place in this country. I read a story last week about China drilling off the coast of Florida. Mexico also drills off the Gulf coast.It is hoped by some that the middle easts oil production will peak and then America will start drilling again. Those in the middle east know their power literally depends on oil so they will continue price gouging. Conspiracy theorists suspect this is attempt by the elites to bankrupt the middle class. This an old story a tyrant takes over a town and then refuses to let the towns people use the main well. We need to oust the tyrants, or we can all buy donkey futures. The rich people running for the hills will need many donkeys.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by steandgina

We just do it a little quieter than the Yanks..

But I know what you mean.. Outside ATS I've met NO-ONE like minded..

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

We just do it a little quieter than the Yanks..

But I know what you mean.. Outside ATS I've met NO-ONE like minded..

That is too true and too funny.

Even though there are a few people on ATS that really irk me... if I ever met them in real life I would probably hug them! lol I would immediately assume that they were a intelligent, cool, interesting person just because they were on ATS!

To the OP... Once again, thank you for an excellent post.
starred and flagged

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
You know what, I'm not worrying about this too much, because I think I know what's going to happen:

They're going to wait right until they've soaked up as much profits from oil as they possibly can and we're right in the middle of the crisis, and then they'll go, "Scientists at XYZ University have JUST discovered a new fusion technology that can add many many MW of power to the existing power grid for cheap.... Automakers are now switching exclusively to electric cars that run off the existing power grid, so everybody has to buy a new car too....."

MBF

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Myself, I've planted a garden for the first time in maybe 10 years and buying a little extra ammo. You don't know what people will do if they get hungry.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Yeah you did beat me to it didnt you....I didnt realize this story is a day old!!!! Yeah I think it will be the norm and I think this is a wakeup call for all. We people are smarter than the government takes us for. Buckle up and get ready for the ride.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
...but make no mistake about it, if the war-profiteering maniacs start up their next conquest of war with Iran, we will see gas prices that NO ONE, save for the top tier elitists will be able to afford anymore.

The problem is that ANY war with Iran is most likely going to start WW3. Iran has mutual defense agreements (with Russia, for example). If you are in America, then gas prices will be the least of your worries when Neutron bombs hit the East and West coasts. Maybe that will soften us up for China to invade.

And yes I pray and hope that I am wrong, but even if I am, I still have the massive Earth Changes and our U.S. Concentration/Death camps to look forward to. Hey, according to our own FBI (www.radioliberty.com...) just thinking about these "Doomsday" scenarios makes me a "terrorist".

If you are thinking, "No Way!" then you have not done your homework. Just for starters, check out the recent George Green interview on ProjectCamelot or do a search for recent Stan Deyo interviews (coast to coast and Erskine Overnight, for example). Don't forget to check out Endtime.com, as well. These are just a few sources that touch on the reasons and backgrounds fo the problem.

When you are stocking up on food and ammo, don't forget the anti-radiation iodine tablets and the nuclear fallout-rated gas masks as well.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
DD, you nab ALL of the stories I want to post (separated at birth?). Great find! Starred and flagged!

Scarlett1125, I believe all of the hoopla regarding Paris Hilton (the poor, poor, dis-inherited heiress:lol
is focused well below the hairline

I digress. The fact that two (2) MSM sources (NYT, and Yahoo) have carried this story is un-fracking-believable. We are living through that famous 'Chinese curse': "may you live in interesting times". The mind reels at the thought of callous trader types that have packaged, securitized, and sold our future through the complicity (and encouragement!) of the FED and other central banks. For what? Summers in Newport? A new BMW? More stuff? (On a side note, my wife and I worked for the worst sort of the elite. The Elite Mrs. line was "we need more!" that pretty much sums it up!) . (We no worky there no more!)

Even the financial analysts are getting here. An interesting site ( financial analysts love their graphs and pie charts!) may be found here Creepy financial siteThere are 2-7 good reads here a day. Here's another good oneeven creepier financial site. Lot's of good reading here!

The lesson should be that we all need to grow food, and contribute to society (you contribute to society, don't you.....citizen?) I have very conflicted feelings regarding guns and survivalism. DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a namby pamby limp wristed leftist pansy. We own guns (legally), yet the thought of shooting hungry pilgrims at my door sends a chill down my spine. Souls have weight.

The next 4-8 years will be a hairy ride. Take care of one another out there.

Peace, Gram.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by steandgina
hey i live in england and i can say nobody is awake to whats going on around the world it seems like everyone is asleep here.

That's around the world.

I can't help but think of Matt 7:14.. ' 14For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.'

For those of us in the western world today how true those words might turn out to be.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
We have put in a larger than usual garden this year, and are growing more variety as well. Instead of just freezing veggies this year I will be both freezing and canning, the old fashioned way, so if anything happens that we have no power I don't have to lose all the goodies! Also we purchased a larger gun, one just like my hubby carried in Desert Storm, 9mm Berretta. We still have the little pea shooters. Not sure what we are thinking we might need this for, but our neighborhood is starting to flip out, folks are getting power, water, lights, gas, cable cut off every day, losing furniture, cars, appliances, for non payments or late. Gas is being stolen pretty much every night now on ours or the nearby streets, and any empty building is at risk to have all it's copper wiring completely stripped, outdoor and indoor air units are coming up gone every day. And we live in a 'middle class' (I have never liked classifying people) , I can only imagine what it is like in the hood. Our neighbors on both sides are growing their first gardens in years, and have already established that we are all watching out for each other's gardens. We had one guy walk up from up the street, he went to other houses too, and he asked for help with feeding his granddaughter, he and his wife, who are elderly and live on social security, are raising their sorry granddaughter's child and even with food stamps they are at a point they cannot afford enough food. I am noticing the grocery putting less and less on the shelves, like meats and veggies, I guess they are having a lot of loss due to not being able to sell as much as usual at the new ridiculous prices. I don't see things getting any better this year, it is only going to worsen from here.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   
im doing the same thing here. I just bought a stoeger cougar .40, and i plan on buying a mossburg 500 shotgun and a mini 14 ruger rifle. I never have hunted before but im gonna learn this year, and how to strip and dress my own deer. Only problem is ill be living in new orleans which is not a good place to be without power. Im thinkin of moving somewhere temperate, where summers not too hot and winters not too cold, midcountry, like tennesee, carolina's. Ill be stocking up on 30 gallon trash cans full of quinoa and rice, and lots o canned fish and veggies.(nothing processed). I'd suggest switching some currency into silver bulk, and stocking up on lots of bullets too, as they will probably be usable as cash.
God all this sounds crazy, i remember laughing about this stuff at Y2k and all.....hope i'll get to laugh again at myself this time....doubt it though. Yeah, im buyin a scooter too....up to 120 miles to the gallon...cant beat that!

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   
It's true a lot of people are preparing. It's not just because of the fuel though there are other reasons. The main thing i'm focused on right now is making sure that i get a good supply of hierloom seeds & a good book on how to harvest & process my own seeds from what i grow. Grow your own food and that's one less thing you have to depend on them for. We all need to relearn how to sustain ourselves just in case tshtf. We've become too dependant on mordern technology and have to make sure we can survive without it if need be.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   
We have moved from California to Tennessee, because it's cheaper cost of living here and also away from cities and out in the country. We're putting in a bigger garden this year as well. Have a gun, which of course you need for country living to shoot raccoons etc. that go after your chickens. We will be getting chickens as well and a goat for milk. We always stay stocked up on extra canned goods. I will be canning this year, too, and fortunately have a neighbor who will be helping me. There are 3 families in our little area and we are all committed to helping each other out as much as we can. We've planted plenty of beans (good protein) so we can dry some for the coming year. I bought some amaranth, so we'll have some kind of grain. We also put up a large greenhouse so we can grow food in the winter, cole crops like broccoli and brussels sprouts.

If nothing else, food is becoming too expensive to afford, especially since we're on a fixed income. We don't go much of anywhere any more, gas is just too expensive, which means we can't visit friends very much, nor can they afford to visit us. I have a horse I can ride into town if need be.

Even in our little town that is like Mayberry, the local co-op had to put in a monitoring system, because people are stealing their gasoline alot now. That's really sad, just a few years ago you could leave your purse in your car and no one would take it. People are stealing copper pipe from homes that are not inhabited.
I think the govt will not be very helpful, rememeber Katrina. So basically, we're all on our own, I think.

And since we live in the Bible belt, folks around here are pretty well aware that we're living in "the end times" or something similar. They have a long tradition of helping each other out, and that will be helpful for our little town.

It's sad, but I must say that I'm liking our simple, minimalist lifestyle of gardening and living off the land. But I think we're in for some hard times pretty soon.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by endrun
[more)

I've been on board with this plan for ~2 months. Guns are stocked, also with ammo and Archery. I'm not worried about a hungry pilgim family in need, just the vultures.

I grew up with horses and am considering another for work and travel, my issue is how to feed one in the winter. (any thoughts? can't store a 100 bales and be mobile)

Also disappearing into the woods with a tipi or army tent in case the Fema
clowns come around on round ups for the straglers.

Good Luck to all and keep adding info to this post! Thanks

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join