It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Energy Fears Looming, New 'Survivalists' Prepare : Washington Post

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
We are all living survivalists. From conception thru birth and until that last breath we take at death, we all strive to survive. The trick is, at least for me, is to survive as a free self relient person, with some level of personal comfort.
I got involved in the first survival movement of the late 70's and early 80's reading, planning, and trained extensively for just about every senerio one could imagine. To this day I still constantly analyze everyday events that I see or read about and ask myself what would I do to ensure my survival in those circumstances.
I would be interested in finding a group or putting one together if anyone is interested. reply to this post if anyone out there is interested.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
This is an eye opening article DD.At least I know I'm not crazy.
I'm not quite sure if I'm fully enveloped in the doom and gloom scenario,BUT I am preparing slowly and methodically.
I have no property to call my own but I'd be okay in the wilderness.I have my weapons and personal protection.I've been looking at solar powered/crank powered lights and radios as well.
I'm a handy kind of guy so I can build my own shelter.
Who knows what's to come in the future,but it can't hurt to be prepared.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
This post really sums up why this planet would be better off with out people, especially you gun - ho americans who shoot it if it doesn't conform!

Why not try and cure the problem instead of shooting it!

You live in the nation that causes most of the issues we now live in albeit of an institutional making, as I believe this site was meant to to highlight and circumvent, however you are reverting back to the typical actions of a nation which killed out their original natives and ended up with a socirty with no respect for other peoples beliefs!

"Why would thirty square metres of veg save your family?"

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

space cadet what you are seeing is only the beginning ,9 mil. berretta not bad but if someone comes with an automatic your in trouble ask your husband on this one. our elitist world governments are in the process of making only 2 classes of people in this world -those who have (the filthy rich)and the poor(those who have nothing) the middle class is toast as were being taxed into becoming the poor as the rich`s crap does not stink by their standards- we are their slaves and all the worlds leaders and wealthy have the armies ,the police and all of their other protectors in place so as to guarantee that they can live in opulence while the rest of the people starve-if you doubt this ask your husband why he followed his orders to the letter its is because the wealthy and leaders have made rules and laws so that our service men will do or die without questioning their superiors no matter how wrong those orders are,when the military s turn against their own people whom they have sworn to protect we have lost our nation`s to the barbarian`s who call themselves leaders,we have lost our own freedom of choice and our own sense of what makes us human-we are not mindless little sheep . so who is behind what you are seeing.
a good example of what is taking place can be seen in Mexico and central america it is called the Mayan`s .huge beautiful cities left to the jungles as they basically ate themselves out of hose and home -the worlds population has exceeded it`s ability to feed its self we are now raping the oceans the forests and the lands they can no longer sustain us as a species-our government is implementing a form of world population control as we speak if you don't see it by now to bad.we either control our selves or else we will be returning to the dark ages soon ,the Mayan people spread out far and wide to be able to survive it is proven fact that their ancestors range all over that area to this day.greater nations have fallen throughout all time even in the middle east-biblically speaking it says that the lands over there were at one time green and fertile what have they done to these lands over the millennium-DESTROYED the same as we are doing to our world through over population -war is the fastest way that the man knows how to bring down the worlds population it states a war to end all wars-nuke the plant no more wars as there is NOTHING left alive.and good ole J.W.B. and all the leaders are really trying their best to bring it to fruitation.China tried to control its population a little to late 1 child per family to slow the growth rate down and the rest of the world thought this was barbaric,my hat is off to them for trying.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Question,

How soon do you believe it will be happening?

I believe by the end of the year there is going to be trouble...

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by steandgina
hey i live in england and i can say nobody is awake to whats going on around the world it seems like everyone is asleep here.

Tell me about it! Rising fuel costs and rising food costs and all the fault of the government. I'm afraid people in this country just expect everything to be rosy in the garden (cos the tabloids say so) and if not then its the governments fault. Ironically enough if the tories were in things would be no different.

We are screwed here because if any politician stood up and told the truth about what will happen in the future. Even higher fuel costs, even higher food costs, slowing economy (not recession but clearly not spend spend spend and throwaway), complete change in our lifestyles a necessity etc etc then nobody would vote for them.

So we will falter on bitching and complaining. Quite how the political landscape will look , I have no idea. One things for certain though: the tabloids will know what to do

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrdDstrbr
You know what, I'm not worrying about this too much, because I think I know what's going to happen:

They're going to wait right until they've soaked up as much profits from oil as they possibly can and we're right in the middle of the crisis, and then they'll go, "Scientists at XYZ University have JUST discovered a new fusion technology that can add many many MW of power to the existing power grid for cheap.... Automakers are now switching exclusively to electric cars that run off the existing power grid, so everybody has to buy a new car too....."

I have a deep suspicion about this also. Governments and the rich still need money. If we all generated our own energy then a huge flow of money would stop. So these folks will continue to get as much revenue from oil as possible until they can switch to an alternate centralised and thus taxable, power generation system.

I find it most odd that there is no real urgency about the lack of oil. It is clearly running out. You only have to hear what ex-oil company geologists have to say, namely: the oil companies, especially the arab states, have been lying for years about the amount of oil they have left so as not inflate the price too much. New finds of oil are smaller and less frequent.

Given that oil is running out what is the alternative....... hmmm...... nuclear.... hmm I don't think so. Even if it was an acceptable alternative the "new build plan" is not quick enough. There is not enough wind, solar or hydro alternatives being built either. So this is all exceptionally suspicious. It's almost as if they are tinkering to keep us quiet because they ALREADY KNOW what the alternative is. It's sitting there waiting to be used once they have generated as much money from the remaining oil as they can. The alternative would kill off oil (as an energy source) very quickly if they introduced it now.

[edit on 26-5-2008 by malcr]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Well Ghetto life....

Someone asked about that............. Reason I am hesitant on posting this is because Reading this I see my own fate before my eyes and it kinda sucks...

Kinda like you are going down for no reason to the death chamber type thing sucks..

Anyway.. Ghetto Life...

As you or most of you know people in the ghetto can give a rats ass about anyone but themselves.. This leave helping people the same way.. Think of it like this.. Bob helps people but Dick likes to screw people at every turn.. Then we have our resident crack fiends who will make life rough.. And then we have the old people who do nothing..

So we have 1 person.... Me who is into this stuff and when I talk about it.. well lets just say people don't agree with me.. Since everyone is looking for a hand out and nobody is in to help, I am pretty much on my own.. Life truly does suck for some, but I think its a learning lesson i guess...

I have been thinking about selling my car because of gas prices.. A 93 Cutlass V6.. But I dunno.. I might keep it in case everything goes to hell.. To delay the inevitable I guess.. But Since I am half ass prepared its like the saying goes.. The strong survive and the weak die.. Its my fault where i live I can change it if i want but haven't..

Anyway this is ghetto life in the end...

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by malcr
I find it most odd that there is no real urgency about the lack of oil. It is clearly running out. You only have to hear what ex-oil company geologists have to say, namely: the oil companies, especially the arab states, have been lying for years about the amount of oil they have left so as not inflate the price too much. New finds of oil are smaller and less frequent.

Given that oil is running out what is the alternative....... hmmm...... nuclear.... hmm I don't think so.

Some sort of classified technology that's already fully developed that they have waiting in the wings to introduce when the timing is right.

Some sort of major technological upgrade to the existing power grid, since we already know they don't approve of the "free energy" devices and things like that.

They already have some sort of plan in place, hence no urgency about the lack of oil.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by steandgina
hey i live in england and i can say nobody is awake to whats going on around the world it seems like everyone is asleep here.

Not everyone. There's at least two of us!

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
I can tell you from my own direct knowledge of friends and family that many are doing just that -- preparing quietly, forming small groups dedicated toward their mutual protection and survival. I don't really understand why there is anyone that doesn't do this, to tell you the truth.. I mean, getting a little extra to put away every time you shop, acquiring bush skills, learning homesteading skills, what can it hurt? I really hope, truly hope, to look back upon this time 15 years from now and share a laugh at myself with my friends. I PRAY those that are laughing now are still there 15 year from now.

Call me a whackamole, I DON"T mind

Well its basic psychology and some are so invested in society that they are in denial. So invested in socialization. The cellphones glued to their ears while driving should convince you of that.

Oh what a different world it will be.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I know I live my live on one basic principle and that is to always be prepared, never get caught off balance!! You just don't no what's going to happend tommorow so you should try to prepare yourself for any situation and have a plan,But thats just me.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ihavenoidea
Question,

How soon do you believe it will be happening?

I believe by the end of the year there is going to be trouble...

I agree, before Bush is out of office there will be an attack on Iran, and then it's Katy bar the door. Perhaps followed by Obama being assassinated, the inner cities burning as a result, and so martial law? It's going to be interesting. Scary, but interesting.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Who here, at the drop of a hat, is prepared to detach from society, unplug from the system entirely, and just walk off into the wild with nothing but a back-pack and hunting materials?

That's what I am prepping for. Even educating myself on various edible wild plant forms that I can subsist off of...

Yeah, I know, I'm 'out there'.

But with the direction that I see things going, I'm not so sure I want to be plugged into the system or near groups when all hell breaks loose.

Hopefully I'm way wrong and it won't happen...

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
If everybody decides to 'go bush' there will be a lot of empty houses.

I understand worse case people will need to leave, but if your in a town or something being prepared to grow in your backyard makes more sense.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Well, shoot. I had tried to post a reply, but it went away in a connection error. Bummer.

I'm preparing for things to get worse, but I'm trying to keep in mind that psychological cycles match market cycles, and we're seeing the negative overreaction phase right now. I hope. I shudder to think what the alternative will be.

And it's interesting to me that mainstream press here in the U.S. seems to be ignoring positive developments in the oil business, and that the markets seem to be ignoring those as well. I guess it's not confidence-inspiring when the United States gives Saudi Arabia a boost on their alternative energy program.

Anyway, I hope we're all wrong about where things are headed...I pity those of you who live in the suburbs, though, as I fear your neighbors were totally unprepared for even the slightest of downturns.

EDIT: leearco: yeah, and it saddens me to see so many people preparing on the home-defense side while ignoring the neighborhood organization aspect of it. I suggest that more people look into transition culture: Transition Culture homepage. Even if the next-to-worst-case scenario broke out, with no oil (worst case would be nuclear warfare) there's really no reason that at least the smaller towns couldn't survive, and even transition into a happier life. That movement is already happening. Hopefully it's overreaction, but these folks have the right idea: Start thinking about no cars, no shipping, no communication, and start thinking about how you can take care of not just yourself, but your family, your neighborhood, and your town. To me, it seems brilliant: Here where I live, at least, it's possible to grow vegetables and fruits, and such things, and it's not all that inconceivable that we could dig our own drinking-water cisterns in short order (the old-timers did it by hand!) and have horses and coaches around in short order as well (I know such things exist locally, and the nearest Yoder family would probably help...)

I think the day when people stop making fun of Amish people, and start going to the Amish for help, will be upon us. Maybe we'll get alt energy in place instead, and avoid the alleged "petrodollar collapse" people are warning of. Maybe. But if not, there's no reason for millions, or even billions, to die. As Ghandi said, the Earth provides enough for every man's need but not every man's greed.

[edit on 26-5-2008 by regeya]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by leearco
If everybody decides to 'go bush' there will be a lot of empty houses.

I understand worse case people will need to leave, but if your in a town or something being prepared to grow in your backyard makes more sense.

That is if you don't mind somebody coming to your door and claiming all your provisions for themselves. That would be your food, guns, and anything else they might consider of use to them.

This could be people fleeing the cities, or the government.

It's wise to have a plan on how to survive without the comforts of home in case you need to.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join