It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catcheing, timing and Survival Retreats/Base (UK)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
For those of you in the UK that intend to stock up on medical/nursing supplies, I strongly suggest they invest in the British National Formulary (BNF) .... this can be bought from any Ottakars bookshop or from Amazon. It is the Doctors/Nurses Bible of drugs, their usage, side affects etc etc. Its no good having a drug if you dont know what the hell it is or its affects are going to be ........ that is, if you can get hold of any drugs. (Legal Note: It is illegal in the UK to dispense drugs if you are not registered to dispense them).

For medical/nursing supplies in the UK look at:-
www.medisave.co.uk...

BTW: Add Paracetamol to your list of supplies .... its the first painkiller of choice. Aspirin is not advised unless you suspect a heart attack as Aspirin thins the blood and reduces clotting.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Thanks for the tip, I'm always on the look out for additional items, I also have co-proximal although this is more of a heavy duty pain killer me thinks, I took 8 in an hour (for a excessive neck spasm I suffer annually for some reason) and it absolutely caned me on one occasion in 2005 (was programming something for an hour, went away came back and it was complete gibberish) and caused what I can assume is some sort of liver fault this year (went yellow excessive gut pain) although like I stated the neck pain suffered did warrant the amount and it’s only annually but co-proximal is a good pain killer. Hopefully this year I will be investing in a vegetable garden and a stockpile of seeds, herbs and spices.

P.S. Tesco is selling value curry sauce for 4p a can (that’s 40 cans for 1.60) this should break up the mundane rice feasts of post apocalyptic earth.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Previous poster touched upon something that my Bride and I discovered when we bugged out for hurricane Ivan....... spices. Now, this seems silly when talking about survival, but I can tell you from my own experience that when in a survival situation, it's advantageous to strive to restore a sense or normalcy. Now, in our bugout bag is various spices, spice packs, and a lot of salt and pepper. Salt also useful for preserving fish and meats. Consider canning (why do they call it canning when they're it bottles) your own too.

Having had to survive on MREs long ago, they provide a very basic level of subsistance, and one can get taste fatigue. It wears on you, trust me. There was a time where I would've done bitter things for a wee bit of garlic, pepper, or oh maaan...... some saffron.

Another thing, and a touchy subject, but if there's anything you have an addiction to...... stock it up --- coffee, alcohol, nicotine. In the crux of a disaster is NOT the right time to quit. We keep a minimum of 30 'bricks' of pre-ground mylar wrapped, vaccum-packed espresso. yah. I like my little bit o' drink too, rarely to excess. I've learned how to ferment native fruits to make a drinkable wine. I remember once, when the supply barge didn't come (live in the Caribbean) there was almost a riot on this otherwise peaceful sedate chunka rock when we ran out of beer.

here's one of our mantras: If you need it, and you can't make it, or fake it, you better stock it. Thus, (as said on another thread) I yam the toilet paper czar of the Cayman Islands.

Consider also that some of these things might be good trading goods in the BAD TIMES. I mean, you don't really want to trade vital things, and maybe there would be someone who would plot to do you in for vital things, but salt, spices, TP, coffee, tea, other things in this vein... might be good tradeable items. Sanitary napkins, medical supplies, etc.

This thread flagged and starred. I think it's one of the most important facets of possible future Terran changes.

Cheers

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I have kept rice for years, my advice is I buy the really large rubber maid containers and store the rice in there, it keeps out the rodents and beetles and cockroaches from getting to it.

The other BIG one is the super-smart survivalist Lynda Runyon - spent 25 years living in the Desert and the Wilderness while raising a family (without hunting) - the secret was to eat the weeds. With this knowledge and the rice you should have no problems. As an example 1/2 cup of tumbleweed has more protein in it that 2 8 oz steaks, Pussy Willow roots have more starch than 2 potatoes etc etc.

www.ofthefield.com

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I'm convinced now that I should have at least a few months supply. At present I only have myself to fend for but I'd also gather for my brother and his family.

Is there a list of essentials I should get?

On the living off the land, the TV series by Ray Mears might be worth watching, also another TV show had some guy on a canal boat, trying to live of what he found on the canal side. That might be worth watching for info/tips.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   
where would the best place be to store all the food? at home,or at the site that you have found?

also as a site what about a old roc post??

www.subbrit.org.uk...

dont knw if this sort of site would be any good?

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I forgot lots of dry pasta, spaghetti, as for where to store the food I think it could be better at home as you can rotate it, although since I’ll be staying at home during any emergency I don’t have this issue.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
what is sitX i cant find anything about it online???

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Another thing I was thinking about it personal hygiene. If you're in the wilds you need to learn how to keep yourself clean, field washing like they do in the military. Also if you have females in your group they will need things like sanitary towels and knowing how to make such things.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by rikgrimsby
what is sitX i cant find anything about it online???

Look at the top of this forum at the stickied article. It has a list of what Sit X is or could be. Sit X = Situation ? (insert scenario at the ? or X), ie: Situation Tsunami, Situation WW3, Situation Plane Crashed in the Amazon Jungle, etc etc.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Wotan
thanks

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
i knw of a few roc post around my way mybe i should check them out,surely they would come in handy

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by rikgrimsby

For me it`s keep everything at home. Why? firstly because it`s my home, and with wife and children there not going to take too kindly to be asked to put bergan on back and head for the hills. If your lucky enough to live in an area that is not going to be under emmediate threat, stay put.
I can happily stock my home to what ever level i want, it`s not just about food. I look at my home as my castle, something i can defend and stock to take account of any scenario.
water buts for months worth of water
food for months
seeds and tools
alternative heating and cooking
etc etc
The thought of trying to look aftermyself and my own whilst only carrying what we have on our backs, seems unjustitied.
Having spent time living outdoors with the military, i dont recomend it. As then you still have logistical support, rations and water brought to you.
As soon as you leave for the perceived safety of the UK`s wilderness, your on your own. And no matter where you go, you`ll be on somebody elses land. If it`s a situation x then the local land owner might not want you there. Once your wet cold and hungry, youll soon wish you stayed at home.
If you want a cache, then use your own property, it`s there and it`s yours
just think what you can store in a garden shed,basement or attic. That`s what i`ve done. Dont advertise the fact.
To the best of my knowledge most ROC bunkers are in the corners of farmers fields, flooded or generaly in a disgusting state, and certainly not ideal to protect ( only one way in or out).
As former civil defence, emergency planner and DPM wearer, i would stay put and ride out whatever was coming.
Even Rambo was wet and freezing as they chased him up the mountain!

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
now you say it... stock up at home seems the best idea.
so far i have(not much)cans of corn beef,dried stuff.
on other the other stuff i have a
shortwave radio(eton e5),scanner,cb.
some self defence items.am just going keep on stocking up week by week as and when i can.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Hi All.
It has been about 5 years since I made my last post on these boards and im back..
Any how, I found this article as im about to start stock pile things like food seeds and fuel.
I was going to make two plans about what I and my partner will do in case of a Sit X, Thats when I found this article.
www.alpharubicon.com...

I think, that like many on this thread that I will stay put and defend my property the best I can. I am from the south and TBH apart from the New forest there is not alot of places I could go anyway.
What I am doing is stock piling and as I live near the coast, I am watching and reading Ray mears books and TV shows on how to collect sea food like mussles and limpits etc.

what do the rest of you think, oh and any tips on any other things that I should stock pile please let me know as all advice is welcome.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I think unless you have a large money pit of cash to build up a load of food for your own private army, a fortified home with steel reinforced doors and a few military spec firearms you are going to be a sitting target in the event of a breakdown in society / natural disaster. Garrisoning a Castle might be the other extreme option but you'd be a magnet for scavangers and would need weeks of preparation with the consent of the owners.

In the states the 'home is my castle' option is a good one. Here in the UK we are too dependant on the police for most options including violence for home protection.

The authorities will come along and get you to leave your home. By force if necessary. When martial law is declared the military can do almost anything they want to, including requisitioning houses for any reason - supplies etc etc
Think I'm exaggerating? Just look at what happened in the US with Hurricane Katrina, everyone forced to leave their homes, stripped of any weapons and bundled into a black hole of Calcutta sports stadium.

Living rough isn't a nightmare if you've prepared for it and have a good group of people on your side. If you've got a fully prepped landrover and fuel stashed etc you can actually live very comfortably and get to places others can't.
Yeah the logistics part will be a downer, but thats where stockpiling and catcheing come into it.
If the SitX exceeds your supplies and foraging isn't working then sht will be so crazy that you might as well start raiding villages and towns for food, that means stores and possibly even peoples houses. Remember hungry people will do anything to get to food.

Then again if we're talking about a bit of bad weather flooding the place or something like a temporary shortage of food then staying at home isn't a bad one.
Trouble is when the SRHTF your castle might become a prison / tomb and dying a slow death like that that is something I'd fight tooth and nail to get out of.
So have your options open, be ready to adapt and change to bailing out if needed or staying.
A person who is rigidly sticking to his guns no matter what the weather and not going with the flow that is needed is digging his own grave.
For me I won't mind bailing out and getting wet,cold and hungry but at least I'll be alive.

[edit on 26-5-2008 by WatchRider]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Shall i stay or shall i go?
my previous post gave the indication that i would stay put, that still applies,
but that does`nt mean that someone who decides to go is wrong.
It`s all a matter of degree. Each person has to make those choices dependant upon his/her own situation, and the worst case scenario they are prepared to prepare for.
I first imagined scenarios in ascending order of impact, and then thought through it, deciding on what i need and what i would do.
Example 1 power failure- have candles,parafin lamps, batteries, radio,gas,
etc STAY PUT
Example 2 power and water failure- same as above plus prepared water storage,extra water buts,rain catcher etc
STILL STAY PUT
Example 3 no power,water or food- have water,food and fuel stored
STILL STAY PUT
from here we get into real situation x scenarios!
But up to now i`ve not been a burden to anyone, my family feel safe and secure, in the knowledge that Dads got it all sorted. And i`m still warm,dry and able to think.And more importantly i`ve stayed the grey man and not drawn any attention to myself.

Once you get into critical scenarios, such as terrorist attack, dirty bombs,nuclear meltdown,anarchy,war etc then once again it`s look at your own situation. NOW SHOULD I STAY OR GO?
This is only a question you can answer for yourself, if i lived in a built up area down wind of a nuclear power plant, then a bug out plan would be high on MY family survival plan, but i would still look first at where my family and friends live and incorporate that befor exposing myself and family to a rural survival existence situation.

In responce to the previous posts suggestion that a mans home/castle can become his tomb is absoloutelt right IT COULD!
BUT as a survivalist my duty to my family is to make sure it does`nt.

Why i would`nt leave my home is for several reasons:
1 I may have several tons of water, food, fuel and stores. I cant take this amount with me.
2 I already have four walls around me and a roof over my head. Once i leave i`m at the mercy of the elements,and i`ve left my home. On returning (if i`m lucky) the local authority could well have put some other refugee family in it!
3 With head down and low profile i could go weeks if not months without any outside interference. I`m certainly no threat to the local populace,local authority or state. If i ran for the hills,as some suggest I would be seen as a threat by everyone i came into contact with.
4 Whilst staying warm,fed and relatively safe, i can be constantly improving my set up. I will not be affected by weeks of thirst, hunger, wind and rain. And so would a lot fitter to improve or defend my situation.
5 I know my local resources
6 I know my local terrain
7 I know my neighbours

But i would still have a comprehensive bug out plan if hoards of scavengers were at my door. But this may never happen and if it did i may at least have had several weeks of relative safety beforhand.

I am very furtunate in my locality, if i was`nt then my mindset may be completely diferent.
NO ONE WAY OR THE OTHER IS RIGHT OR WRONG. ITS STILL THE SAME.

This is a great forum to exchange views and ideas. KEEP IT GOING

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
That's a good balanced way JoeBlogs.

But having a second shelter is still very sound wisdom.

Always good to know of a secret hidey hole or base to hole up in if you have to bail.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Howdy,
I don't want to say too much about my location over the internet, but whatever, I am from the Southwest UK and within driving distance of Southampton.

I am fairly lucky, as me and my family live on a farm of about 50 acres, in a small village. We live in a cottage, with my grandparents occupieing the larger house adjacent to mine( they are connected, you can walk straight through) We have several large sheds/warehouses, a stable yard, hayloft, and largish greenhouse. We also have an armoured car, although that won't really be useful apart from imtimidation come SitX.

We are considering buying 1000 liters of vegatable oil and the kit nessecary to convert it into a reliable fuel. However, this would still need replacing. I've been suprised by people advising not to stockpile water, to me, this seems totally mad! Water purification tablets will only get you so far, when the rivers are polluted with fallout. I am re-using 2l bottles of coke, carbonated water in the mean time, although I will purchase some larger water containers. I will start stockpiling food, mostly canned food, although dry products such as rice,lentils etc will also been needed, as will fruit.

Once food is stockpiled, I also need to take more steps to maxmise chances of survival. I aim to build a small fallout shelter, which will be challenge. I also need to construct plans to make a room in the house a safe room in the event of a bio/chem attack. Of course, this all then has to be tested. We have a generator, but I'm not sure if it still works.

Looks like I've got my hands full!

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Hi there Transmision and all,

joeblogs here also from the SW

You sound like your on the same wavelength. My own preparedness revolves around home and family. I`ve only got standard garden plot,
but have managed to build purpose built fallout shelter in it. Can answer any questions you want to throw at me on the subject.

People do tend to think your a nut soon as you mention fallout shelter, but what a great way to start serious preparedness. You dont need building regs, but should get planning permission. My local planning Dept had quite a laugh about it when i put my plans in, little did they know that there is a local Authority bunker under the same building.

I look at a shelter like this: if i fit a smoke alarm, i dont sit waiting for a fire to prove how clever i was. It`s there and if it`s needed great and if not, well what the hell i`ve enjoyed building it.

I wish you well, and good to know theres more like minded people out there than youd think.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join