It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bright flashing "star" in sky

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Hey guys, I myself have not physically myself viewed this star, however I have been doing my research online on youtube checking out all the videos from people all over the place who have been videoing this bright object. Some say it is Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Sirius etc yet no-one has come across with concrete evidence of what this is, which I find concerning.

This video is one of the best I have found so far with the chap zooming in first to the moon (can see the craters on the surface) then to the bright object in the sky - so you can judge yourself:

www.youtube.com...

One of the guys went to his friend who is astronomer in Norway to check it out, his friend said this:

"I contacted an astronomer here in Norway; he could not give me an answer. He tried but told me that they were not allowed to search that area."

So what does this mean? I'll also leave that upto you to decide for yourself

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I live on the Oregon coast and I am seeing this right at the moment for the first time. I am an avid stargazer and this is my first sighting of this flashing star. I am very curious as well to know exactly what this is...

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Nizzmo

hi i have also noticed this star. i have been seeing it for a few years. it changes from blue, red, and white. but tonight when i want out side it was just above the mountain line and it was very bright, brighter then i have noticed before. i came back in side googled flashing star in the sky and i read your post. this took about 10 mins give or take and then i retured outside to see what part of the sky it was in and it had moved two finger widths above the moutain and to the south east i was very amazed at how fast it moved and it kinda freaked me out. i look at the stars alot, as i have to smoke out side and i have never seen a star move that fast. i am really starting to wonder if it is a star at all. if you get any real answers i would like to know, you can email me at [email protected]. i just dont understand how it could move that fast considering that the earth is not rotating that fast?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Ok,

im 100% convinced now this is not a planet

as i accounted for Jupitar and Venus in the sky and theres no way Jupitar would be this bright in our sky as its so far away(unless it has ignited ahaha)

Its not Sirrus, and this thing has been in the sky now for a few months and as some one else said, goes quite quickly across the sky

going to start documenting this!!!

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by TreX-UK
Ok,

im 100% convinced now this is not a planet

Where and when are you seeing it exactly? What direction, how high, what time?

If it's in the west just after sunset it's Venus.

[edit on 16-2-2009 by ngchunter]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

sunset in the uk is at about 4:50-5:20

its in the sky from then going south to west, but stays in the sky till about 10pm way after venus should of set + gets a lot higher then venus, and Jupitar should not be that bright

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TreX-UK

Well I'll look for anything out of the ordinary tonight, but honestly it sounds like sirius. Have you checked to see if it matches with anything in Stellarium?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

noticed sirrus the other night it wasnt so bright as to cause a haze if there was thin cloud, if you know what i mean.

Where as this thing will shine though cloud

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   

I just saw something similar tonight about 40 min ago near the horizon. It sorta matches sirius in Stellarium but looked way to big for a star. A very bright pulsing red blue and white light. It looked more like wing lights from a plane that wasnt moving. Its likely what i saw was Sirius, but i've never seen seen it sparkle in different colors so constantly like that, the intervals between the red and blue were constant at about one second while the white was sort of a blur. i'm going to watch for it again tommorow night around the same time.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TreX-UK

Well if I were there in person I'm sure I could identify it. It still sounds like sirius to me, but if it's not that it must be something local to you because I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary the last few nights.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

On the news? Yeah, right... The news doesn't share any TRUE events happening. There are LOTS of events happening across the planet right now. They are not talking about ANY of the events. Also, don't listen to anyone who walks around, with their head down, texting on cellphones and listening to ipods' all day. They are completely LOST! I went out to zoom in on a couple of these stars. There is very big one, then about 3 other stars that blink colors.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Nizzmo

I have seen the same thing only up here in the northern hemisphere in Michigan, I saw it in Cali also while at NTC.

I first noticed it years ago, and posted about it, but no one else saw it and thought I was smoking something.

It moves and is not stationary, but it does follow the same path each time I've sen it. Pointed it out to many people and they saw it but have no ideas also.

I really which I had a high power scope to view it. My neighbor has a powerful one with a laser that tracks objects, but it is winter and too cloudy this time of year.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Just to clarify, I have been observing this thing for years, it is NOT A STAR or other natural explanation, it moves, independently of every thing else in the sky.

I repeat, it is NOT A STAR or PLANET, or any thing natural occurring. It moves way too fast and travels across the horizon, too slow for a satellite, it is engineered or fabricated by man, or for those who prefer by sentient intelligence. I don't believe aliens are visiting, but don't deny they exist.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
It moves way too fast and travels across the horizon, too slow for a satellite,

How do you know it couldn't be a satellite? A satellite's relative velocity is determined by altitude. The higher the sat, the slower it will move.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by kunzinator

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

I'll comment, too. I live in the Los Angeles area, and most nights I notice this thing, too. It is fairly low on the horizon, to the West/Southwest/West by Southwest direction. It flickers white, red, and blue very rapidly. It is odd, because at first I thought it was scintilation, but it does not appear in the same spot every night like Venus does. It would be nice to know what this thing is, if in fact it is not a star. My guess would be a satellite first, comet second, and if not those then I would go out on a limb and say some kind of spacecraft.

[edit on 2/23/2009 by pjslug]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
What most of you are explaining with flashing colours is the aluminium body of a satalite and not a star or planet. The new bright light in our skys is acctuly Venus, daft roumers of ignition or second sun is a theory and not the facts. The facts of Venus being so bright is the west side (right) of the planet catching the light from the sun which we see on Venus, know anyone with telescope? have a close look and you will see the whole of Venus as you would do any other time in day, night and photos or videos. but what you will see to the west side (right) it will be glowing an imense white light just like our own moon, e.g the moon on the Northern Hemisphere you will see the Waxing Crescent and in the Southern Hemisphere Waning Crescent. so basically you are seing the Waxing Crescent on Venus and not a new sun. so the chances of Venus becoming sun is practically 0 yes zero.

thank you very much and hope you understand why venus is like this.

Paul P

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
i have also seen that star here in my city regularly its huge and bright comparing to other star it appears to be the nearest one from earth i think its a satellite or something but not a star but its look a like star...

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I am 90% sure it is Aldebaran - it's a star 65ly away.

en.wikipedia.org...

NASA's Pioneer 10 spacecraft, which flew by Jupiter in 1973 will reach and pass by Aldebaran in about two million years.

Anyway, it's been very visible in Australia so I checked and double checked on Stellarium and it is the only object in the area that it could possibly be.

So there ya go.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
HUH,

I thought it was just me,

I have been seeing a pulsating star low on the southwestern horizon lately usually after 10pm.

Ive never noticed it before, it pulses white/blue/red/green, its brighter than venus or jupiter.
It moves very slowly or appears to move, funny thing it hasnt been there every night.

I first noticed it a couple of weeks ago, and thought it was the comet that was make a pass, but its still here.

It wasnt there earlier in th evening, when I walked to the sotre at 8:30pm but was there at 11:00 when I went to walk the dog.

It really does look light lights on a plane but, it moves slowy north far slower than any aircraft.
It aslo hasnt been in the same locations.

I dont see how I could have missed it for all of these years.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join