It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bright flashing "star" in sky

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
It's probably a Navy surveillance satelite;
BBC
Back in 1998 or 99, I was in my yard looking at the flashing stars- blue, red, yellow, green, when a neighbor who was in the first Gulf war as a sniper, came by.
He asked what I was looking at and told me it was a surveillance satelite and that if he had a grid, he could show me where they all were.
I asked, why they were over land, why were there so many and what were they 'surveilling'?

That BBC article says 'unblinking' lights, but, my friend said they flashed in synchronized colors for identification.

[edit on 18-9-2008 by Clearskies]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
It's probably a Navy surveillance satelite;
BBC
Back in 1998 or 99, I was in my yard looking at the flashing stars- blue, red, yellow, green, when a neighbor who was in the first Gulf war as a sniper, came by.
He asked what I was looking at and told me it was a surveillance satelite and that if he had a grid, he could show me where they all were.
I asked, why they were over land, why were there so many and what were they 'surveilling'?

That BBC article says 'unblinking' lights, but, my friend said they flashed in synchronized colors for identification.

[edit on 18-9-2008 by Clearskies]

That was an extremely interesting link. This almost sounds like all of the "triangles" that people report seeing. I always figured it was an advanced military craft, but this sounds like it might be it.

[edit on 9/27/2008 by atzmaz]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

I did some research online & I think I discovered what we've been observing over central Florida. I went to the international space station tracking website at spaceflight.nasa.gov... It shows where the space station is in realtime. An article titled A New Star In the Sky at http//science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2000/ast01dec_1.htm tells why & how it's seen.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Ok I live near Brisbane in Australia, and I too have just noticed this star in the past few nights.

I have asked my Dad, Nephew, Brothers/Brothers in law, basically everyone I know I have asked what Planet or Star it is, they simply do not know.

I must say that these colours this star is twinkling are the most colourful and brightest in the sky, it's like watching fireworks it's that bright.

I understand why it's twinkling due to our Atmosphere, But I don't know how to explain it, you have to see it to believe it.

2 nights ago it was basically West, last night it was North West.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
i am a being from the planet driuliouun in the frsteiuryan star system in human speech because it cant be pronounced in a human tongue...what you are seeing is our space craft in orbit with your planet. our great ship awiats for the new dawn 2012. man and ET shall rise above and truth will prevale. we are at war with the reptilians......LOL!!!!!!!! just kidding i see what you see every night and have seen it for a long time since i can remember. im trying to find out what it is myself wich is why i have came across this page. Although i do believe there are ET life forms from far away. i do take it with a grain of salt but also an open mind. i was listening to coast to coast AM and i haered a man on it saying "look in the sky any giving night and you will see the red blue green and white flickering object ,,,,,they are UFOs put in orbit to monitor us." who knows . I see them every night and some of them dont move in orbit with the other stars but then agian WHAT THE BL!#@P DO WE KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
sorry -- double post

see my post below.

[edit on 9/29/2008 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I noticed in my part of the Northern Hemisphere (Pennsylvania, USA) that the very bright star Arcturus has been scintillating (twinkling) quite a bit. It is usually red-looking, but the scintillation was causing it to flash between orange/blue/yellow. It is in the West-Southwestern sky in th early evening.

You can find Arcturus by following the arc in the big dipper until you come to a very brightest star -- or, as my old High School Astronomy teacher was fond of saying "take the arc to Arcturus...then speed on to Spica" (another bright star).

I doubt the OP was seeing Arcturus, since it isn't very visible from Australia this time if the year (Southern Hemeishere winter) and can only be seen very, very low in the Western sky, very close to sunset. However, I'm sure there are plenty of stars that this could have been -- possibly Antares? -- which is another big bright red star.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Nizzmo

I too am seeing something bright in the sky - it seems too large to be a star but not sure if it's a planet but it is twinkling too much that I really wouldn't call it twinkling. It's more 'flashing' like the entire thing is shooting off sparklers but you can't see anything shooting off from it. When I first saw it, my first thought was "That thing is going nuts with its flashing"
From the horizon, it's probably lower than half way down the sky and it seems to have a dimmer star below it at an angle. I see this thing everynight and it is there now, and it's about 2 am here in Georgia, Usa.

Could this be Niburi?

If so, it is .....going nuts up there.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by whiteblack

I see this star too, but in the east in early evening. I live in Southern California. What I see flickers from red to blue, yellow, white, then actually disappears for a moment or two, then repeats again. I dont think its man made, because it moves with the stars, but is brighter than anything around it. When I look through my 50X binos, it almost looks like it has a small tail, like a far off comet, but I doubt it. I couldnt find any other references to it but this chat....Dan

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...'

a whole thread about this.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Nizzmo

hello,
i am only 14 but i have notice something alike this, but i live in York, England in the Notrhern Hemisphere and i have also just noticed this muty coloured filkering star, ive been wondering what it is, at first i thought it was jus a helicpter, but when it flikered green i knew at that point it wasnt a helicopter, im really interested in what ever it is,

- - - - -

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   

I have seen this very thing in the sky over my house. I live in Cleveland Ohio it is not just a regular star and it distinctively flashes Red green and blue. very strange soo I researched a little and I was watching a documentary on google video called the Big Picture by George Greene and Mr. Greene pops the question in his video, Has anyone ever seen a red, and green flashing star? The answer is no because stars do not flash those colors. He believes what we are seeing are VERY Large distant UFOs. Regardless of what you believe It's no star. Its not sirius and its not the "demon star". plus Oct 14th is almost here...lol google that too

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Nizzmo

Hey. I live in Illinois, America, if you're checking your own thread.

I see the same star. I'm sure of it. It's a beauty.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS

I have seen this very thing in the sky over my house. I live in Cleveland Ohio it is not just a regular star and it distinctively flashes Red green and blue. very strange soo I researched a little and I was watching a documentary on google video called the Big Picture by George Greene and Mr. Greene pops the question in his video, Has anyone ever seen a red, and green flashing star? The answer is no because stars do not flash those colors. He believes what we are seeing are VERY Large distant UFOs. Regardless of what you believe It's no star. Its not sirius and its not the "demon star". plus Oct 14th is almost here...lol google that too

Stars do show green, as well as every other color.

A Red and Green Star?! red_starSometimes as you gaze at the night sky, you may see colors other than white. Are these stars, satellites, or just your mind playing tricks on you? If you see a red or green sparkle in the sky, it may just be a star - perhaps Sirius, Capella, or Arcturus. These stars are among the top five brightest stars in the sky. When they appear low to the horizon and are shining through a thicker layer of haze, they can sometimes appear to splinter into different colors (called the scintillation effect). Thus these normally white stars could appear red or green.
Source

Not only does the starlight vary in intensity, it varies in color as well. White light is composed of all colors from violet and blue, through green and yellow, to orange and red. The pockets of air of different densities act like prisms to disperse the light. Dispersion, the spreading out of white light into its constituent colors, occurs because different wavelengths of light are refracted to different degrees, with the shorter wavelengths of violet and blue being refracted more than longer wavelengths of orange and red. For this reason, the twinkling stars often appear to rapidly flash through many different colors.
Source

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
This is all very interesting to hear, this star has popped up recently, I know this as a fact as there was an article in the paper clearly stating that there is a new star in the sky that everybody has been witnessing.

In the article it was reported that another star was "eating" another star or colliding or something to that effect.

It was printed in the Herald Sun, Melbourne, Australia (not sure of the date)

The star is now visible from the east and travels east to north. It is the brightest star I have seen in the sky... if it is a star.

If you have seen this star you know what I am talking about when I say it flashes colours.... if it is scintilation then this is a very good example of it, if it is the said effect then I wonder why this star is the only one in the sky doing it so intensely?

It could be because of its size? But then the question arises... why is it so large?... then once again whats with the quirky orbit?

If it gets brighter and brighter then it would be safe to say its heading in our direction... but for now its just one bright and large star that has a weird orbit and flashes colours (due to the atmosphere or not).

It's good to know people are looking up and taking note of something thats out of the ordinary... It never hurts to be observant, alert and conscious without jumping to unnecessary conclusions.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Nizzmo

Nizzmo, what time are you seeing this star?

Check out the image I provided, it should help you figure out what you're seeing. The image is of the sky looking northeast in Melbourne at about 2:57 AM Melbourne time. I chose this time because you can just still see the moon in the shot to use as a reference point. You say it's the brightest star you see? Could it be Sirius?...Let us know.

Melbourne Sky 2:57 AM Looking Northeast

Once you see the pic, click on it to make it full size.

(edit)....sorry I've been having problems linking the image....it should be fine now I think.

[edit on 15-10-2008 by Boognish]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
hello ,
for the last month,[october 2008]i have seen this also ,flashing red ,white and blue ,i live in missouri and have a porch that faces west ,i have lived here a long time and i am out on this porch every night and this is definetly something new in the sky .
the first time i saw it i couldnt believe my eyes ,it seems to wobble ,and make tight circles,not a plane ,not your normal star ,planet ?
also it will be in the western sky ,then it will be in the northeastern sky within 45 minutes ,which looking at stars yes they of course are in different locations because of the way the earth moves ,but i can not reason it would move so quickly in such a short time ?
i have been searching for an explanation and found this site .
anyway wanted to let others know i see this in my part of the world .
peggy

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
For a week now, my wife and I have been monitoring the same "object" in the night sky. We live on Toledo Bend Reservoir and the back of our cabin faces dead east. It's full effects can be observed visually at approximately 9 p.m. It tracks very slowly straight up to approximately 25-35 degrees above the horizon at which point it takes an unusual track to the S/SE, back towards the horizon. This seems to coincide with sightings reported from Maryland, Florida and then Australia. Concurrent with other reports we observed the bright, almost flashing color changes however, from our point of observation the colors have been bright white, red to dull orange and yellow with a brief glimpse of green. The intermittent brightness causes the object to appear larger at times. In addition there appears to be additional "smaller" lights to the objects immediate left and right. It also appears smaller when it achieves the "dull orange" color. Regardless of what this object is, it is fascinating, beautiful and quite interesting to watch. It is good to find other people still enjoying the greatest High Def Wide Screen "NOT" sold in stores.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I was actually looking at this last night .. following it every few hours, In the wee morning hours its the brightest thing in the sky, and yes it looks out of place.. looks not like any other star in the sky, yes I have seen other stars kind of flicker, but this thing isn't just flickering, it looks like one of those led lights that flash through its colors really rapidly.. its unreal it so bright compared to other stars in the sky and the flickering is intense.

It tends to stick in with the constellations around it, however doesn't seem to stay locked in place with the rest of them.. Its very odd and so noticeable, I just look at the sky and can immediately find it, its so bright and flickering you cant miss it, I'm in central Minnesota

Now what is it i have no clue but its unlike any other stars in the sky , it even makes Venus look sad in comparison. Its like looking at a welding arc.. really that what it looks like that bright flickering bright light.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I will be following this thread because over the past 4 or 5 months I have noticed the same thing. I shrugged it off as a bright star, I like looking up, but when it comes to knowing each individual object in the sky I am very ignorant. So I always assumed it was something natural. But your all right, its very bright, flashes much more than other stars like a strobing LED, and for me it falls on the East Horizon. I live in New Hampshire, USA.

edited for spelling

[edit on 21-10-2008 by samureyed]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join