It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bright flashing "star" in sky

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
It is probably some new satellite recently put up into orbit. Remember the shuttle Atlantis was launched recently and did have some satillite payloads to take up there.

Also some of the already placed birds can be moved from point to point, such as survellance satellites.

Some of them are parked in such a way that they are always seeing sunlight, and as they spin, reflections of sunlight off of their solar pannels will produce "prisim" like effects, twinkling and such.

Let us know tho if this twinkling object gets bigger and becomes more sphere like as the days and weeks go by.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

I live in Baton Rouge, LA. and saw this last year. It is not "twinkling" like a star, nor does it track from east to west like the other stars. It rises up from the Northeast and seems to go East/Southeast. Also it seems there is more than one. Tonight, I checked it with a telescope, the lights are obviously synchronise. I need a better eyepiece to get a closer view.

Thanks

I can tell you what it looks like with an 8" newtonian... it looks like a bigger bright object changing colors from red to green to blue. You cannot make it out at all - it is way too bright

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by vita63640

reply to post by Anonymous ATS

I live in Baton Rouge, LA. and saw this last year. It is not "twinkling" like a star, nor does it track from east to west like the other stars. It rises up from the Northeast and seems to go East/Southeast. Also it seems there is more than one. Tonight, I checked it with a telescope, the lights are obviously synchronise. I need a better eyepiece to get a closer view.

Thanks

I can tell you what it looks like with an 8" newtonian... it looks like a bigger bright object changing colors from red to green to blue. You cannot make it out at all - it is way too bright

I have looked at the star through my large dobsonian telescope and I get what appears like two (could be that the focus was'nt set right though) stars joined together but the light intensity is too bright to get any details. It appears as if this star is quite close as in the viewfinder its about the size of jupiter or slightly smaller..... not the size of a regular star i must say.

[edit on 28-11-2008 by Nizzmo]

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I would say I have been watching this thing in the sky for at least a good 6 months if not longer, (northern minnesota) and I am almost sure that it has moved before and I cannot see it being anything natural. I see many odd things up in the sky around here I could sware I've actually seen more than one of this thing in the sky before. I really do not think it is a star or planet, if anyone can figure anything out would be great. I stare at those damn blinking lights every night when I smoke...

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Yea that star has been puzzling me for a long time now, I live in London and I can see it looking south not that far left of Orion’s Belt it flashes in a multitude of colours. What is it?

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
There is a rather bright star/ light in the sky tonight.... Could be Jupiter I suppose... BUT its orbiting/ moving rather fast.

I doubt its anything other then my paranoia... But still

On my 1m wide window... Its moved about 20-30cm in the past 10 mins...

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
i saw this tonight, it looked like the brightest thing ive ever seen in the sky. it was like a bright star going really bright then dwindle to the point of dissappearance. have never seen anything liek it. through binoculars it seemed to have an fire ball like aurora that seemed to spin around it. bloody cloud has got in the way now tho. what is this? it is in the south west in s#horpe, england

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Nizzmo

i noticed a star similar to what you're describing, it was in the middle of a star cluster though. when directly looking at this star it appears small and dull, but looking away at a side-view the star and its surrounding stars glow, they slowly drift from a hazy glow to a pure shine. the glow looks almost like a mist, its shape changes too, i don't know what this is but i've never noticed it before and i look at the night sky frequently. do you think our stars could be linked???

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I have seen these same lights. yes I say lights !!(more than one) I have been observing these since sept 2008 They are in the skies every clear night when the stars are out. usually about 6:30 they start to appear. One is always really bright and can be seen with the naked eye. If you look you will see that there are others that appear dimmer but also flicker blue red and white they look like a police cars lights flashing. If you turn around in a circle you will see they are in the north south east and west ect . With binoculars you can see them crisp and clear. I also looked at them with a telecope and they are really cool it looks like a circle with bright florecent pinks and bluish purple hues on the outside the inside looks like a bold black spiderweb and it appears to turn inside the circle . If you look in the sky for several hours you will notice they switch one may be flashing like crazy then will dim. Then one that was dim will flash like crazy and visa versa. I live in tennessee although I was in chicago and they are there as well I believe they can be seen in any ones sky just like the moon sun or stars can. Of course the best viewing is away from the city lights. I am quite amazed that there is very little information about them!!! Columbus discovered america I am interested to see if any astronomers will discover these beautifull colors in our skies. I have spent hours observing there behavior and I am very mystified . I have searched the web and have debunked several ideas such as satalites the star serius and frankly it is written to be an unidentified object Hmmm go figure.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Nizzmo

Hi, I live in Oregon, USA and I believe I see the same star. Bigger and brighter than the rest. For me I view it the SE from just past dark and it follows the normal rotation of the Earth E to W. It is hard to focus in my telescope. I can see Jupiter and make out if it 1/2 or greater view and bring other stars into focus. Best I can do on the star in question is circular sparkles of changing color and light. Very facinating with and without a scope.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Hi, it's me again in Oregon USA. I called an astronomer group and asked them about the "star" in question. They say it is a geostationary satellite that is positioned at this time so it is reflecting the sun brightly and with the different angles of the satellite would give the colorful effect we experience. I comfirmed with them it would be viewable all over the world, at this time, when ever it is night were ever you are. It seems new because of its positioning and will eventually change again. That worked for me, how about all of you???

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by randym

Geostationary satellites are too high to be seen with the naked eye. They also stay in the same position over the equator. They do not move across the sky. If you could see one it would stay in the same spot all night long.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I too have been watching this bright object from Southern California.
Curious I have been searching many web sites. This one is of interest.

share-international.org click on xmasmiracle

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
For those currently viewing "unknown stars" in the skies this may help:

Right now just after sunset you can view Venus to the SW. It is *extremely* bright right now and getting brighter through mid-Feb.
It can even be seen in the daytime if you know where to look, that's how bright it is. It is the 2nd brightest object in the night sky, the 1st being the Moon.

The bright star that you see rising in the SE about 2.5 hours after sundown is Sirius. It is the *brightest* of all the stars.
For the next week or two it should rotate to close to due south at 11:00pm.
To find Sirius:
1) Find Orion
2) Find the 3 stars that form the belt of Orion
3) The line of the belt stars point down to near a very bright star
4) That bright star is Sirius

If what you are seeing isn't these objects, where is your object in relation to Venus or Sirius?

Have fun.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   

I too have been watching this bright object from Southern California.
Curious I have been searching many web sites. This one is of interest.

share-international.org click on xmasmiracle

Speaking of which. . .check out an extensive thread on Share International at the following link - www.abovetopsecret.com...

Take care.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by lel1111

the guy in oregon is right. it is a geostationary satellite. it is locked in the same orbit, meaning you will see it every night rotating in orbit around the globe. most travel in an up-down pattern and would not travel the same path twice. i am not guessing this, i am telling you a fact. just wanted to help....

nobodyyouknow

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Yeah I have been watching this light for several months and been wondering what the *bleep* it is. It sets to west. It's so bright that I can see it easily even middle of the day.

[edit on 17-1-2009 by hubahuba]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Nizzmo

I just read an article two weeks ago that was talking about a new star in the sky. It also said that the one the world has been waiting for has now arrived on earth. Hmmm, what does that mean exactly? My husband and I stood outside tonight and looked at the brightest star we have ever seen. It is in the western sky, and quite large and beautiful. It looks to be a gold yellow color, and looks like it is twinkling,

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
The "star" in question changes colors approximately 220 times per second. Time lapse photography shows only ONE COLOR at any given time. That is what really makes it bizarre to me.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by lel1111

This star is reffered to by the Dogon Tribe as the New Star. It is said to appear at the time of our next transition or what the Myans reffer to as our passing through the Dark Rift.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join