It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another one bites the dust...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder

Originally posted by xmotex

My first experience with home invasions was when I was 18 (a long time ago) in scenic Camden, NJ, I chased the guy off with a machete in my underwear

[edit on 5/22/08 by xmotex]

How in God's name did you keep a machete in your underwear? You must have some heavy duty underwear.
OMG! Too funny!! You've got my sense of humor!!

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Swordbeast

Thanks for setting us straight.
In reference to people abusing the guns - I've found that no matter where you are from we are all human. So are good and some aren't. What can you do?

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Are we talking about stealing to survive? or just for fun?
If you have no way of feeding your family and starvation is looking you in the face? Stealing is an option most might choose. Now if your bored and just feel like stealing to be a loser? Well thats a whole other thread.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by trig_grl

There are a ton if illegals in my area and everyone of them have a Lone Star card. As do the Katrinians. ANYONE can get food stamps. People don't break into other people's homes to steal food. That doesn't make sense at all.

You need to think more logically. If you were starving which would be the better place to ENSURE you could get something to eat: a strangers house, who you don't know and might have a bare cupboard themselves OR someplace like a grocery store or fast food joint?

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Oh and people don't break in "for fun" they break in because they are loser crackheads, who won't get a job, so they steal from you for money.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blitzkreigen
reply to post by jbondo

They came back and SUED the Farmer AND HIS WIFE for everything they owned, and guess what... the ILLEGALS WON!

The castle doctrine has put an end to that type of situation in Texas. The criminals are no longer have the right to sue their victims.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

No the machete was next to the bed, I was in my underwear, not the machete!

Sorry that was a very poorly written sentence

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Regarding dogs ...

you should check out the show called "It takes a Thief". Essentially it is a pre-approved break-in. There were 2 shows I can think of that had dogs, one had a golden retriever and the other show had a doberman. Neither dog so much as yelped.

A dog is a fine companion, but unless he is trained as a guard dog, its not something to bet your life on.

Also, having a gun locked in a safe is about as useful as having a fire extinguisher locked in a safe. Both should be handy, and ready for immediate use.

IMO of course.

[edit on 22-5-2008 by Coshy]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jbondo
I think I can sum things up:

1. Every law abiding citizen should have the right to own a gun but not everyone should have a gun.

2. If you are serious about gun ownership you should make it priority 1 to be thoroughly trained in the use, safety and maintenance of said weapon.

3. In a critical situation, critical thinking is at hand. You are now faced with a choice that could in fact change your life forever and you have to decide in a split second.

4. Think about the entire scenario of taking another human life prior to bragging that you'll kill anyone that spits in your direction. If you don't think killing another person will have a profound effect on your life then you are either lying or sadistic.

5. Big talkers are usually the least equipped and most likely to pee their pants or make a critical mistake in a life and death situation.

6. I sincerely hope that I'll never be faced with the decision of having to kill a home invader.

7. If you shoot someone in your front yard, drag them into your house.

Well said!

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Yeah about a year and a half ago we had a home invasion fairly close to my apartment, hundred yards or so. 3 shots fired both criminals dead. A few months later similar situation, next building over from mine. Although the criminals got away they were fired upon. Needless to say, since then there has not been any attempted home invasion near me. I would say just knowing people are willing to kill to defend themselves and their homes is a huge deterrent. I do wonder if it might lead to a higher increase in break ins where there is no one home.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
First of all, the crime rate is NOT soaring. That is a myth. Nationally, it has risen slightly, and compared to 20 years ago, it is way down.

Second, if you invade someones home, you deserve whatever you get. Myself, I have a double barrel 12 gauge shotgun loaded and ready to fire. I have it loaded with #1 shot,, which will just about make hamburger of a person at 45 feet or less.

I'd a whole lot rather clean up the mess from someone else, than bury my wife, or die myself. I have no sympathy for that kind of "human".

And yes, I HAVE shot people. I was in Viet Nam for 2 tours, and fired expert with the M-14, M-16, Carbine, .50 Caliber and M-60 Machine guns and with the Small Bore Pistol. I spent 10 years on active duty with the Army.

Leave me alone, and I'll be happy to let you live your live however you choose to, so long as nobody innocent gets hurt.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Lone Star Patriot

you have a point there. i agree that people mainly break into homes not because they are looking for food but for money to fund their drug habit's, i was speaking more of people stealing from stores and such. (guess i should have read the post a bit better)

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I know first hand that shooting someone is an ugly thing and not to be done lightly. But imagine it's the middle of the night, you wake up to a noise at window, then you hear movement in the living room, you hear footsteps coming up the stairs toward your's and your children's rooms. I can't believe even the biggest vegan, patchouli stinking, peachnik would not be re-thinking their outlook on the 2nd amendment at that point.

Everyone has a right to protect themselves and their family. We need to make the sure that right is not infringed upon any further. I'm for concealed carry by responsible people anytime, anywhere. Yeah even at the airport.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Coshy
Two things trouble me when reading about incidents like this. One is truly disturbing, the other just makes me roll my eyes.

) The "John Rambo" responses. I'd be willing to bet that half the 'internet commandos' have put fewer that 500 rounds through ANY gun. I wonder if they realize the amount of pure adrenalin that will be rushing through their system while they stumble around in the dark trying to get their gun, try to remember if its loaded or not, try to remember if they have a round in the chamber, all this while trying to keep kids, spouses, pets out of the line of fire and then they still have to confront the intruder. Still hopped up on adrenalin they now must manage to get gun on target, keep a fair sight picture and pull the trigger, possibly multiple times, all the while managing not to get shot/hit/kicked/punched by the intruder.

I wonder how often they have practiced waking up from a dead sleep, running to the closet, retrieving their firearm, taking off the safety and responding to a simulated threat. Without shooting themselves or a loved one in the process.

Its not a simple matter of 'popping a cap in someones ass' as some would make it out to be. I doubt if many truly think about what will happen in their own bodies if they are faced with a situation where deadly force may come into play. Not only will they have to fight with their own instincs, but also with the intruder/assaliant/etc.

2) The 'guns are evil' folks. Well, after reading the internet commandos responses, I can almost have sympathy with them. Almost. I completely and adamantly believe in a persons God given right to defend themselves. Firearms are the single most potent form of defence an average citizen can own and I think it is short sighted and irresponsible to believe your security can be maintained and defended by someone you have to call on the phone. The police, by their very nature, are a reactionary force intended to supplement a persons right to defend themselves.

Realshanti's response:
the whole point is to be trained in the use of a gun, if you are going to be a responsible gun owner which would include readiness, security and preparing for possible scenarios - just like folks who live in L.A. prepare themselves for the eventuality of earthquakes - requires some plannng, some research, - same with anything that requires a quick response...you learn
Used to live there and survived the Northridge quake - talk about thinking quick and acting immediately - in that case my weapons of choice were a pair of shoes, flashlight, radio and bottle of vodka but you get the idea....

On your other point - agree tho commandos on here have the right idea - you have to really think about whats important to you and decide before hand (remember preparation?) what you are willing to do to protect those you love....

The flight from gun ownership in this country is a mistake - takes yet another chink out of personal responsibility and control of ones own destiny...plus history shows over and over what happens to disarmed populations.....

and one last thing - the police????
but seriously it depends on the jurisdiction and how the force is run - for example West Hollywood may have the fastest swat response of any police force I've ever encountered - fast efficient with the least amount of police shootings/injuries - but as good as they are at their job they will never be fast enough to stop a bullet or a knife of a crime in progress- thats for TV - but not for real life....

cheers

realshanti

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
When it comes to firearms, and the 2nd amendment, I take it very seriously, when anyone speaks unkindly about it.

We should have a system in place, where every citizen is part of the armed civilian militia.( Unless deemed mentally deficient) Everyone would be trained at 18 how to operate a firearm, and to safely keep it, store it, clean it, and to defend with it.
It would be part of their training, that not only would they defend against foreign hostile forces, but, against their own government as well if the need arose.

It is here, that our own corrupt government would balk, and not allow it to happen. The stinking ,up to no good, politicans fear being grabbed and shot for their traitor like actions. Therefore, they would love nothing more, than to disarm the whole lot of us. Which is why, we must remain armed.

I also believe that we need to stop making military recuits swear an oath to the President, but, to the people of the USA and to the Constitution.

Their loyality should be to us first, and to defend the foundation of democracy, not some out of control Ego Maniacs like Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld/Rice/others!
That Chimp Clan should all be SHOT!

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I gonna get dinged for a one line reply _javascript:icon('
')
_javascript:icon('
') but here here for UFO BountyHunter - couldn't agree more

Ta
realshanti

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Blitzkreigen

Yes I have. We as one will defend ourselves. If in my anger I would happen to take a life I would regret ever second. You folks seem to think that killing someone is OK for some reason, no matter what the reason. Why is that? I am not religious but my wife is very religious.

To take the life of another seems to be very, well, for Christ sake, I don't know to some of you. I don't want to live in a world where everyone has no concern for life. I have a problem with stepping on an ant for God's sake.

Change your mindset , change your love of life, change your love for the human race! Why do you think the world is in such a place as this. Please think of what your doing, Please. Everything that you write about, everything that some of you think cannot be controlled, can be.

This world of yours is a wondrous place, full of promise and hope. For Billions of years our existence has been in the hands of fate. Killing one another just because we can, means what? So much is in our hands, so much is in our grasps. Why would you throw that away.

Please think about the way you interact with one another. This world is on the brink of something that will change the lives of billions. Anger and distrust is not the path. I know that most of the young people of this time know the path that must be taken. Listen to your heart, listen to the sound of the world around you, just listen. Listen.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

I think I should've put a smiley face behind my post, as it was an attempt at humor.

I'm definately not saying the Swiss people are a joke, but I still think their culture, mindset and way of living has a big effect on crime rates.

It is a bit simplistic to say that it is all because of widespread gun ownership, I think there are less reasons for criminal behaviour in Switzerland, compared to America.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlindWatcher1
reply to post by Blitzkreigen

Yes I have. We as one will defend ourselves. If in my anger I would happen to take a life I would regret ever second. You folks seem to think that killing someone is OK for some reason, no matter what the reason. Why is that? I am not religious but my wife is very religious.

To take the life of another seems to be very, well, for Christ sake, I don't know to some of you. I don't want to live in a world where everyone has no concern for life. I have a problem with stepping on an ant for God's sake.

Change your mindset , change your love of life, change your love for the human race! Why do you think the world is in such a place as this. Please think of what your doing, Please. Everything that you write about, everything that some of you think cannot be controlled, can be.

This world of yours is a wondrous place, full of promise and hope. For Billions of years our existence has been in the hands of fate. Killing one another just because we can, means what? So much is in our hands, so much is in our grasps. Why would you throw that away.

Please think about the way you interact with one another. This world is on the brink of something that will change the lives of billions. Anger and distrust is not the path. I know that most of the young people of this time know the path that must be taken. Listen to your heart, listen to the sound of the world around you, just listen. Listen.

I personally am young and will not leave my life in someone else’s hands. Everyone has a price unfortunately.

I understand your respect for life. unfortunately since the beginning of time death has been a hand of cards dealt indiscriminately, many cultures in the history before Christ honor the ideals of sacrifice, and to kill in defense of their people ( us protecting our family’s and innocent people) Also those people gave their lives for the future of their entire civilization... I’m sure somewhere along the lines someone died for the freedoms you have. Don’t spit in the face of honorable men and women that sacrificed their time on earth for you. If you are unwilling to defend yourself or your family your soul is already enslaved, Even GOD kills indiscriminately and so does mother earth and time as well. Every creature on earth kills something to survive. Now I don’t know you or if you have kids, but I’ll put a million dollars on the fact that if your wife was in a situation were it was a choice between the life of your kids and any criminal she would not allow the innocent child to be murdered and not do anything. Guns are in this world so the weak do not become slaves to the strong. Even in the last couple of weeks tens of thousands of people have been killed ( have you done anything to help the living in these other countries or have you been so desensitized by the media that you don’t care?) it is a natural thing and will happen sooner or later don't not let people take the most precious thing away from you. Since your cant kill an ant I would hope that you double your humanitarian effort to make up for your lack of commitment to protect the world. I did not post this message to offend you but just to show the true spirit of an individual in the world ready and willing to make sacrifices and end threats to all mankind.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Lone Star Patriot I used to load Glasers too. Then a guy at the gunshop told me that while it maybe fine in warm weather, if the assailant is wearing heavy clothing the rounds can actually shatter prematurely and not do much damage, or even fail to penetrate. Look it up online.

Tasers are interesting for some situations (like if you are someplace where you cannot carry a firearm) but they can risky too. People can remain active for a few seconds after being tased, and since they are already pretty close, well, caution is needed.

A bit of advice I read on another forum, if someone breaks into your house (assuming you do not have loved ones in other rooms) let them find YOU, do not go looking for them. It gives you a big advantage.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join