It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another one bites the dust...

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I will admit that I should never own a gun for home self-defense.

I simply suck with a gun! I cannot aim to hit a barn without having to seriously focus.
In that time frame, my weapon would be used against me.
It sucked be responsible and admitting to myself that I shouldn't do it, but that doesn't mean I must be helpless.

So in order to not be a victim, I first have three dogs. Most run-of-the-mill thugs and druggies won't even mess with dogs.

Should you get past the dogs, I am well-trained in knife fighting. I have practiced for years and regularly juggle knives in front of my friends and neighbors. Word spreads around.
Rest assured I have no problems getting between you and your firearm hand while you stumble around my home in the dark, dodging teeth.

The examiner will have quite a job describing the deep gashes running diagonally across your chest and neck.

**please note the well trained part. With any self-defense method you must train and practice, or you will suck when you use it. This even includes pepper spray and tasers. **

Now i am only six feet tall and 150 lbs. So there really isn't much excuse for not defending yourself for lack of firearms.

As for defending myself outside, I always travel with at least two friend when I need to travel in dangerous city parts. Numbers=safety. If i am alone, I do business in a crowded area. Help can be as close as the nearest big guy.

just be smart, and creative.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by sickleye

Those that have trouble with shootin handguns might consider a double barrel Coach Gun. Its like the stage coach drivers and helpers carried in the old west. Barrels are 20 inches long and is easily handled in a house environment. It also scares the beeheeesus out of anyone that must look down the barrels of a 12 gauge. Loaded with bird shot the rarely go through walls. Knives are a good backup, but who wants to get up close and personal with a bad guy if you don't have to. Scumbags might run from the site of you holding a knife, but they will definatly run like hell from a shotgun without a shot fired!!!LOL

Zindo

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by sickleye
Should you get past the dogs, I am well-trained in knife fighting. I have practiced for years and regularly juggle knives in front of my friends and neighbors. Word spreads around. Rest assured I have no problems getting between you and your firearm hand while you stumble around my home in the dark, dodging teeth.

The examiner will have quite a job describing the deep gashes running diagonally across your chest and neck.

Yes dogs are a great deterrant. But I for one actually LOVE my dogs so if an intruder broke in I would be worried about their safety as much as my own.

As far as alternative methods of defense, if one lives in a country where firearms are banned that is one thing. I am a 5'10" and 120ish pounds, there is absolutely NO WAY I would engage an attacker physically if it could be avoided. Males are a lot heavier and much much stronger, even if a female is well versed in hand to hand combat the size and strength difference is a huge disadvantage. Shooting them from a safe distance is always preferable. As far as an attacker "taking my weapon" and shooting me with it, that is the least of my concerns. If they can overpower that easily they would not need a firearm to cause damage, if their intent is to kill I would rather be shot than succumb to other methods.

The comments regarding several "deep gashes" make me think that while you may know how to handle knives, perhaps you should brush up a bit on anatomy. Every second counts, and an expert with a knife would get the job done as quickly/efficiently as possible.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Im glad that there is a lot of people here who support the OPs intent. If you break into my home, ill shoot you. Dont wanna be shot? Dont break in. and W T F does not paying your taxes have to do with anything?

If you disagree with the OP - then please give me your address. I could always use a few new TVs and some easy money.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ybab hsur

I think you are going to have to just get those items honestly.

I think we've chased the "blind" nay-sayer away.
Hope nothing happened to him....

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

You obviously have some issues of your own to contend with there Mr. Cowboy. Your just a rootin tootin killin machine, huh! Outrageously ridiculous. Please, you folks have absolutely no idea what it is like to take a life.

Have any of you been in combat. I don't mean sniping someone from 100 yrds away, I mean face to face combat, kill or be killed, gut the son of a $%@# with a hatred that nothing can compare with.

You two are talking out of your anal canal, Mr. Cowboy and Little Missy. "You know Absolutely Nothing." And you MR. Cowboy with your little coach gun, you know what that will get you, "DEAD!"

Keep flappin your jaws with each other and the only thing that will happen is that when the time comes none of the garbage that your both talking about will mean anything except that you will have a moment of awareness before your killed of, crap that person was right, "I'm Dead."

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Lone Star Patriot

No ones been chased away Little Missy just reading the misleading statements on this thread that will most certainly bite you all in the rear when the time comes for you to actually have to do what you blab about.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlindWatcher1
Please, you folks have absolutely no idea what it is like to take a life.

Keep flappin your jaws with each other and the only thing that will happen is that when the time comes none of the garbage that your both talking about will mean anything except that you will have a moment of awareness before your killed of, crap that person was right, "I'm Dead."

Okay, I am a bit confused. First you go on about how sensitive you are, and how hard it is to take a human life even if they were trying to kill you.

Then you proceed to say that you hope two of the posters here have a moment of clarity when they are killed by an intruder and they will think "crap BlindWatcher was right"?

And you say OTHERS here are irrational?

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

You people need to learn how to read and by the way, I'm sure Mr. Cowboy and Little Missy can talk for themselves.

Are you able to function on your own without someone holding your hand. If it takes having to keep reading it until you understand than so be it. If you don't understand it than take your obvious highly intelligent reading skills and go indulge yourself with one of Dr. Seusses books to widen your skills.

[edit on 28-5-2008 by BlindWatcher1]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlindWatcher1Keep flappin your jaws with each other and the only thing that will happen is that when the time comes none of the garbage that your both talking about will mean anything except that you will have a moment of awareness before your killed of, crap that person was right, "I'm Dead."

Well apparently my "highly intelligent reading skills" cannot quite comprehend what you were trying to say there.

Please do explain it for me using small words.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
WELL... It happened TODAY.....

A 13 year old boy ' home alone ' had to shoot and kill a burgular that broke into his house this afternoon and was weilding a knife.

The boy had to struggle with the burgular and got 'slashed' several times from the knife weilding burgular.

He managed to break free and get his dads gun, and fired several shots, killing the burgular. He ran out into the street ( the 13 year old) covered in his own blood from knife 'slash' wounds sustained fighting the burgular. The neighbors helped him and called 9-11.

He didnt have time to negoitiate with the burgular, or hold his hand , or sing Kumbya, or try to understand his feelings about shooting the burgular...

He was FORCED to do it... and he's Lucky to still be alive. ( stable condition now )

I dont think he will feel much 'remorse' for the poor burgular after his wounds heal and the pain stops. Hopefully he wont have permanent nerve damage or shorter tendons now for the rest of his life.

I'm sure the Burgular didnt have the 'opportunity' afforded to him in life that this 13 year old had, and he was dealt a 'bad hand' in life, and his 'father wasnt around' while he was growing up, and his mom was an 'alcoholic' or drug user, and its really the 13 year olds FAULT that he had to break in anyway. I'm sure it was for 'food', and that makes it 'Ok'.

I'm sure the "family" of the Burgular will sue in civil court as well for the Dad of the 13 year old leaving a loaded gun in reach of a minor child.

They will probably sue the gun manufacturer as well, for making such an Evil product that killed indiscriminately...

No wait, lets blame it on the Public School system... yeah thats the 'deep pockets'...

I just hope they were both the same race, or you know what this will bring otherwise.

Here is the video link:

cw33.trb.com...

By the way.... they had a BIG dog inside the house as well, and it didnt seem to stop the burgular from entering. ( Not knocking Dogs, I love Dogs and I have 2 Large Dogs Myself... Just a sidebar that relates to this thread )

Best Regards,

Blitzkreigen

[edit on 29-5-2008 by Blitzkreigen]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by BlindWatcher1

*shaking head* You're still here? The way I see it the only poster here with issues is YOU. The name calling is a little immature don't you think?

This thread isn't about hand to hand combat in Iraq. It's about defending your life and property should a scumbag break into your home. PERIOD.

Seriously, you're acting like a complete moron. You're comparing self defense to war situations. They are nothing alike. Why can't you get it?

Thank you for serving in the armed forces - and with that said stop posting your drivel and yanking our chains.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlindWatcher1
reply to post by ZindoDoone

You obviously have some issues of your own to contend with there Mr. Cowboy. Your just a rootin tootin killin machine, huh! Outrageously ridiculous. Please, you folks have absolutely no idea what it is like to take a life.

Have any of you been in combat. I don't mean sniping someone from 100 yrds away, I mean face to face combat, kill or be killed, gut the son of a $%@# with a hatred that nothing can compare with.

You two are talking out of your anal canal, Mr. Cowboy and Little Missy. "You know Absolutely Nothing." And you MR. Cowboy with your little coach gun, you know what that will get you, "DEAD!"

Mr. Blindwatcher, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ybab hsur

Is that right Mr. Yaba daba, you come in this thread only because of something that was said in your other political thread and think you know what is right. Go back to your insignificant little political world in your other threads and posts where you are trying to rouse some of the other members with your insignificant ramblings. These folks seem to think something way beyond your comprehension.

In this thread I'm hoping to get through to a few, not start world war 3. Even if I do not get through to them so be it. These folks can speak for themselves and are probably much more street smart than you will ever hope to be. I'm sure theres something else that we agree on here even though they think I'm an A hole. Let me do my thing and you go back to your pranks somewhere else.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Lone Star Patriot

No problem Lone Star, I simply wanted to keep you alive in a situation that is beyond your comprehension. Have a wonderful night and I apologise to You, ZindoDoone and Sonya610. I have been very driven by this thread for reasons that, well, I care not to write about. I tried to make you understand but was not able to. You have your ways and I have mine. Be good to each other and have a great night.

Once again I was way out of line with some of my replies. If I come across any of you in the future this will not happen again.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by BlindWatcher1]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Blindwatcher your reply was eloquent and seems quite heartfelt. Yes this topic does get people pretty fired up for obvious reasons (no pun intended). I am sure you have reasons for your strong opinions, and I am quite sure the rest of us will never experience what you have and we will never quite get it.

It is nice to see that the discussion has become more civil, perhaps then people will listen to eachother and hear eachother even if they do not agree with the other parties point of view.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Thank you Sonya610, I'm happy to know that I have not turned you against me. By the way, I loved that movie and that particular character. Breeze on!

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Hey, I was never offended.

No apology necessary on my part, but Thank You for the Good Spirit.

Your Personally Entitled and Right for having your own spiritual opinion, and I highly RESPECT that. I really do.

I too, have the same feelings, as I consider myself to be highly Spiritual, a Good Longtime Christian, and I have a DEEP RESPECT for ALL LIFE. Even WATER and Soil. I wont kill a spider, unless its a Brown Recluse or Black Widow.

I really respect your position, and I just dont feel the same about defending myself.

I LOVE DOGS!! I Understand DOGS, I am A DOG! Dogs can DO NO WRONG.... BUT..... I had one almost attack me yesterday while I was working... A rather Large BLACK Rotweiller about 15 feet away that I walked up on unknowingly in someones backyard. He didnt know me... I didnt know him.... He charged me Growling and flashing teeth, form 15 feet away.

My Hands were full of equipment, and I really would not have been able to defend my self very quickly.... But I did flash on "Its Me or Him..."
and reached for my Knife , on a pull cord on my hip.

Just that thought stopped the dog.... I didnt even drop my equipment, as it covered a Large portion of my body... I was going to give him a target before I had to slit his throat.

I would have Killed that Dog Quickly, and I think that My determination and Pureness of potential action actually STOPPED the attack...

I Immediately felt sadness for the Dog as well, ( instantaniously ) because I knew what I was about to have to do ,and I HAD NO CHOICE. I didnt want to hurt him, but he was gonna KILL me......

Perhaps he sensed my sadness for him in that instant.

He Immediately STOPPED 4 feet away, grolwed a low knawrley tooth growl snap slober jaw, and turned and RAN away in a FLASH.

Maybe that its the Lesson of this thread.... If someone carries a "big Stick", they are less likely to have to EVER use it. Sometimes just being prepared to do something is enough to get the message across..

I will reiterate that I really Do RESPECT your opinion and your Spirituality.

Best Regards,

Blitzkreigen

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Blitzkreigen

Thank you also for your kind words. I didn't include your name in the apology because I felt my posture was aimed at the three members and I regret using names like Little Missy and Mr, Cowboy. I mean how childish was that!

Have a great day Blitzkreigen and again, Thanks!

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Its called being Human...

We are all better off from participating in this thread, and I think the lessons go much deeper than what we see here in 'type'.

I appreciate your posts. Looking forward to reading your other ideolgies as well.

Best regards,

Blitzkreigen

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join