It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another one bites the dust...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Coshy

There is that Rambo effect on these issues, but for the most part, its much differant than you think. I am a member of two gun clubs here in the NE. Once or twice a month, I volunteer as range officer for our 25 lane indoor shooting range. We open it nights for members as well as training citizens for CCW permits. We have standing room only and at least 40 people a night there practicing what they've learned and discussing probable senarios that might happen to them in they're home. You hear very little of the "Well I'm gonna go shoot me some burglers and git away with it>!!! It's not like that at all, its a calm and reflective discussion on how to react and mindset needed for situations. These people put alot more than 500 rounds through they're arms. To get your permit requirements from us we ask for 700 to 800 under the watchfull eye of the instructors. When your family is at risk, theres no way to know how you willreact bt for the most part you act in accordance with they're safty.
Also, the anti's alway squeal about gun fights in the streets and OK corral shootouts. That has yet to happen in the states that have 'shall issue' permit systems.

Zindo

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

You are right, most of the responses, here and elsewhere, are from people who are well reasoned and have taken all the factors into consideration. These are the same guys who practice regularly and are familiar with their firearms.

Its the ones who claim they are going to shoot to kill (in more or less words) with little other content that worry me. I guess what I'm getting from some of their posts is they are waiting, maybe wanting for the opportunity to let 'er rip. Hopefully they arent just full of bluster and can actually handle themselves, the situation and more importantly their firearm should the need arise.

It will only take a couple news reports of "30 shots fired, 3 hit burglar, 3 dogs killed, a child wounded and 20 bullet holes in the walls" for the anti-gun groups to start pushing for more restrictive gun/ammunition control legislation.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Coshy

Actually I have practiced for that very reason but; it's also why I've leaned towards having a tazer by my bed as well.

You have to go back and look. Most of these "Rambos" are Southerners who more than likely hunt every chance they get. So yes they have loaded and shot a gun numerous times.

I maybe a female but my father taught me gun safety and how to use one while I was still in elementary school. I'm also an avid hunter. I'm full aware of the kick they give off when fired. Because of my knowledge of what could happen when a gun is fired in a home - again - is why I'm searching for other options for self defense.

I'm thinking a lead pipe or baseball bat could do some major damage esp if coupled with said adrenalin!

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Lone Star Patriot

I think you are on the right track M'lady. Tazers though, are going to be the next thing the lawyers are going to go after I'm thinking. I have my .45 with glassers at hand when in the house(I live alone and don't get any youngsters visiting), by my bed I have a fine hardwood Shoto (short Japanese sword). Its better and easier to wield than a pipe and doesn't slip out of your hand that easy. It will also clobber the bejeeses out of somebody at close quarters!
Zindo

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

OK now I am going to sound like Rambo.... I sleep with a Bowie knife under my pillow.

Note to self: get tazer NOW before the lawyers and the "house" take them off the market.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Coshy

I really hope you are not referring to me my fellow ATS'er. I am not a "Rambo" type, nor would I espouse a philosophy that supported it. 500 rnds would be a slow week for me, and as far as adrenaline and functioning in a situation like that, you don't know anything about who or what I have been through because of criminal trash. I was once an unarmed pacifist, but now I have changed because of certain events in my life. Violence is an absolute last recourse for me and mine. I have had a gun put in my face, I have had my children and family physically and mentally abused by subhuman lowlifes. I have gone days without sleep because my "underprivileged" crack dealers who were to the left of my property and white trash methheads were to the rear. This type of "living" will change the way you think and act forever.

Please accept my sincere apologies if your post was not directed at me.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by shai hulud

Amen! People need to realize the world we live in. You have to have a survivalist attitude.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I listen to Cleveland Ohio police scanner regularly. I can assure you only a small portion of crimes committed make it to the press. There is much documented data to show when a community gets armed crime rate drops precipitously. People have a sancrosant right to feel safe from harm.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

I don't see why someone wouldn't WANT to have protection in their homes. Like I've said these days people are crazy. Meth monkeys will do anything for a dollar and the illegals in my area have little value for human life much less respect for others property. You give a few of them a lead enema you won't have to worry about your like piece of Earth any more.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Thank you sir, I have enjoyed bouncing between threads with you on this issue and I think we are on the same page. People are going to have to awaken that when it goes down (unfortunately) that they will have to rely on themselves and other kindred. It is just tough sometimes trying to relay life experience to others that I know would have a different view about self preservation without dependence on outside entities that could send you away forever if they are having a bad day. I did not want to start a flame war on this subject, but to me it is the root of what this country was built on. It has nothing to do with trigger happy idiots that are insecure and surround themselves with weapons and are blow hards.

This is why I rarely get involved in "gun" chats because I know what happens next.

[edit on 21-5-2008 by shai hulud]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   

I believe in the right to bear arms and to defend my home and loved ones. Please forgive me but I can't help but wonder if something deeper is at the root to your comments. Your choice of wording is actually quite hateful.

If some drunk made a mistake and walked into your house one night by accident, it sounds as though you would shred and eat the poor soul. Do you ask questions before killing someone or do you just kill because you think you can?

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by BlindWatcher1

I know that was not meant for me, but if you could see through my eyes you would chuckle. I don't know what lone star would do, but the drunken friend or random drunk hit too close to home. I've been in those situations with people and the best thing to do is talk them down or if they are your friend just taze them and drag their naked carcass in the front lawn for the neighbors to laugh at in the morning. That was a joke...seriously. I've had drunken fools in my prior residence(not now because I really don't see anyone), pull this bad judgment. I have talked them down or if they get violent, it's not hard to subdue a drunk so the local badge could take care of him. I can judge intent pretty quick by past experience. Firearms are out of the question in that situation, unless they are armed with intent.

Sorry to hijack your comment but the drunk guy statement caught me in a sick humor kind of way. Now methheads or crackheads.....thats a whole different story.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   

No that's perfectly OK. I was just wondering as to the extent of damage that may possibly take place to an unarmed individual or a person who may not be able to understand what is happening who may just have made a terrible mistake and wants nothing more than to get away because someone is about to end their life.
I mean personally I would be terrified and more than likely would do anything to get away from someone "I am" perceiving as the aggressor.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   

My friend, I appreciate your logical retort and I respect your candor. Although I was once in the frame of mind that I assume you find yourself in. I hate violence and look down upon those who choose guns as a first resort( unless confronted in dead sleep with a home invasion... then all bets are off), but I assure you, if you are confronted by unsavory individuals that wish you or your family harm, your natural instinct will take over and deal with the situation.

I have no frame of reference with your life experience, but I believe it is our inalienable right to defend what is yours. The sad issue is that guns are the main weapon of choice by criminals, which have sparked this unholy debate.

Believe me, if your back is against the wall and do not have the luxury to flee, you do whatever it takes to defend your family first, then yourself, and then your property.

Do not take this the wrong way, but weakness in the face of aggression disgusts me. The best weapon you have is your instincts and brain. Using a gun, unless violence is imminent, is a last resort, but if the unsavory pushes, you push back to the point that their entire gang, tribe, clan or whatever will never cross the line against you or yours in their generation.

Best regards

[edit on 21-5-2008 by shai hulud]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   

I couldn't have said it better myself. Hey, I didn't. LOL
I have weapons in my home. Weapon of choice? "Sword" Second choice, a 20 foot Bullwhip. The latter I have with me at all times.

Don't get me wrong. I have no problem defending myself and my family. It's the nano second a person has to decide, should I kill or maim. That split second changes the lives of many. I just think that some people with a "gun" or "guns" doesn't have the ability to rationalize in that second.

Even if they have the weapon legally it doesn't change the fact that they are able to stay focused in a critical situation.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I've been told by lawyers who shoot with me...Never and I mean Never shoot to maim. You have a better chance of surviving . If a person is trying to or threatens to kill you or your family...shoot to kill.
I am not one to be blood thirsty here. Chances are if you try to mearly wound someone you might get killed by them. I would venture to say that criminals won't be so cavalere in any confrontation. If you just maim you are open to lawsuits over damages. With todays liberal judges you might end up paying this persons living expenses for life.It has happened and will continue unless every state adopts 'Castle Doctrine' type laws for the citizenry.
Zindo

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   

I'm not refering to any one person, if I were, I have the intestinal fortitude to point fingers. I'm not even so much talking about this thread in particular. Its just something I've noticed in my travels on the internet.

Your apology, while unnecessary is accepted and I hope we can chalk this misunderstanding up to the limitations of communication by text alone. Quite a few of your posts in this thread alone leave me with the distinct impression that you are not an 'internet commando' and have thought the potential situations through.

Maybe its a nonchalant attitude I'm getting. Like dealing with a home invader or armed assaliant is no different that going to the store to buy a loaf of bread.

My point, I suppose, is dealing with a situation which has the potential to end in deadly force is a serious issue and treating it like its just another errand to run shows, to me at least, a lack of maturity and understanding.

But, as with all opinions, it may be just in my interpretation of the things I'm reading.

[edit on 21-5-2008 by Coshy]

[edit on 21-5-2008 by Coshy]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Ask the six million Jews who went meekly to the gas chambers and ovens if they would have liked to have a gun to defend themselves when the time came.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
If someone broke into my house, I would have to wait for them to be a little distance from me.
I've only got an M700............

But seriously, I see where you're coming from, I have no problem with shooting a Robber. But I would rather give them the option to surrender, whilst having a gun or a samurai sword at their throats.

tO

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Learn how to spell and I'll take you seriously.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join