It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake of a magnitude 7.8 reported in China *UPDATE* 'to top 50,000' killed

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by IchiNiSan

There are/were only 24 S-70's exported to PRC. The Mi-17 would be much more useful under the circumstances (and there are alot more of them in the PLAAF).
I'm surprised at the number and severity of the aftershocks -- another 5.1 not too long ago.
Again, best wishes.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by IchiNiSan
reply to post by gs001

Friend in Sichuan 13:49:25 - 成都军区飞行员哭著报告:汶川已成人间地狱 由于道路断裂蹋方严重,余震不断,成都军区的先头部队至今无法赶到汶川县城区。据成都军区消息人土透露,12 日下午16点50分,成都军区领导命令两架直升机飞往汶川,一位飞行员哭著报告:惨不忍睹,95%的建筑倒塌,看到� �著的人多,会动的人少,汶川已成人间地狱。 据西方媒体估计,估计死亡人数不下5万人

that is not true, Wenchuan was NOT destroyed, I have post the pictures
taken from airplane in this thread before.
today more pictures from ground of Wenchuan appeared

so I guess the friend of your employee not telling the truth, maybe he was not on the helicopter at all.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I'm not such a weapononry/machines expert, but I do have trust this time that the PLAAF did what they could....

[edit on 16/5/08 by IchiNiSan]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by gs001

I was thinking about that too, the towns surrounding it with older buildings were levelled though. If the pilot was referring to that part then he was right

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
GS, here are some pictures from air showing Wenchuan, imagine you are the pilot and it was raining without too much visibility...

I am also following some of those Chinese forums discussions. Indeed fierce discussions, but I am siding with those who believe that they tried their best.... (and people still think that Chinese don't argue and don't criticize the government....)

Here is a picture of the toads:

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Witness2008
reply to post by gs001

And it looks like those Black Hawks are working hard. Have you heard anything on strange lights being seen just before the quake? I have a link here that describes how before many earthquakes people report strange lights in the sky.inamidst.com...

three days before earthquake

the very day of the earthquake 2008.5.12 1:58PM half hours before disaster

[edit on 16-5-2008 by gs001]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by gs001

Perhaps you could describe your links, they would not open for me.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

this
and this
fail to open?

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
found some pictures of some of the helicopters used. No clue what kind of models it is.... hmmmm, anyone any idea if these copters is suitable in heavy rain rescueing work?

It does surprise me why we don't have more helicopters with our mountainous country.... Can imagine we can only invest so-so in the army, and modernization is hardly needed....

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by IchiNiSan

That's an S-70. I'm not sure what the avionics fit was for the exports, so it'd be difficult to say. You can see from the terrain that you really wouldn't want to be there if it was windy and there was low visibility. Combine that with high altitude conditions, and it doesn't surprise me they didn't want to risk it. If/when the weather clears, I'd expect to see more of the Mi-17 which is better suited to high altitude work and can carry more people.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Megacide. I had a real bad feeling this would pan out. 5 days in. You and I both know there are survivors buried under tons of debris. Suffering from dehydration and starvation. That will never see the light of the sun again. Four more days without rescue and the suffering will be over. Prayers out to China. The dead, survivors, and mourners. How long will it be before the New Madrid blows and I'm buried under a slab from an 8.3? Tomorrow? A thousand years?

[edit on 5/16/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I think the situation is getting worse

Fresh earthquake hits devastated SW China

BEIJING, China (CNN) -- A strong aftershock hit already devastated southwestern China Friday, triggering landslides, blocking roads, knocking out phone lines and burying vehicles, state-run media reported.

The 5.5-magnitude earthquake rattled eastern Sichuan province shortly after President Hu Jintao arrived in the quake zone on Friday to get a first-hand look at the devastated region.

Source

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I'm seeing reports of a 5.9 aftershock... I didn't know these aftershocks could happen so long after the initial hit.... so sad.

And further aftershocks - one measuring 5.9 - continued to strike the area, causing landslides that buried vehicles and knocked out communications only just restored.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 06:01 AM
link   
We just had a silence here in the UK, Gosh it really brings in to your heart when you take a moment to stop and think about the tragedy that has occurred,

I watched some footage the other day of people in a building and they rescued 2 ladies and there was more in the building, but it became so unsafe they could not continue, That made my heart sink, I cant imagine the pain of the people waiting on the ground for loved ones,

My heart it with all of the families and those still trapped,

I will light a candle for all those trapped and that as many as can be get rescued,

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I live in Hong Kong and there is some anti US sentiment brewing due to the fact that the USA has only donated $500,000 in aid ..... when China donated $5mill during hurricane Katrina .... I know and you know that China have plenty of cash and they will get buy ... BUT it is a pretty measly gesture...

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
But with these things dont they normaly give a small amount the top that up to a much bigger amount once they see the full scale of the need,

Im sure thats how i seen it work when the Tsunami hit,

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by jpvskyfreak
I live in Hong Kong and there is some anti US sentiment brewing due to the fact that the USA has only donated $500,000 in aid ..... when China donated $5mill during hurricane Katrina .... I know and you know that China have plenty of cash and they will get buy ... BUT it is a pretty measly gesture...

American politicians are only interested in the human rights of those
tiny group of people who always make trouble with China.
such as separatists(of course in their eyes: freedom fighters).
the human rights of majority of Chinese are never taken into their account.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Thats insane. This is crazy. This has to be man made.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
oh I watched the news footage tonight and I cried.

so very sad to see this. The little boy who had both his arms amputated was pleading the doctor to only take one of his arms so he could go to school and be able to write. So heartbreaking!

Then there was the little girl still trapped saying, "I have been waiting for someone to save me and I know you will save me"... but she is still trapped and now there are aftershocks and mudslides.

The image of the young woman crying because her entire family had been buried beneath the rubble.

It is so wrenching...

China has called for emergency aid which is very unusual ... not at all surprising when we consider the 4.3 million displaced refuges.

It is heartwrenching to watch the footage.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
OMG what do we do? Watching the TV I wanted to do something.. ok as asala did, we could all light candles but when I saw that little boy without his arms, I wanted to contact the Embassy and send a letter to that little cherub and say "you can still go to school" and "here is some money for some prosphetic arms!!"

Things like this make me want to do something. If I could just hug every person suffering right now, I would. It is so tragic... and even more so for those emergency workers who have to walk away knowing there are people alive and trapped because it is too dangerous for them to dig them out

My heart breaks for everyone experiencing this, the people trapped and those that are trying to save as many as they can.

AND I was absolutely pissed off when I saw Tibetan demonstrators protesting in Nepal... like for swear sake! There is a time for protesting and now is definitely not the time!

Anyone banging a drum for a cause now shows bad taste and absolutely no respect for those that are suffering.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join