It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake of a magnitude 7.8 reported in China *UPDATE* 'to top 50,000' killed

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by bluepanic

That is because, like huricanes, the scale increases exponentally.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
How rescue work is done...

Difficult terrain....

Rock by rock....

Candadian friend donating his own blood... shortage of blood for medical help...

Rescue dogs used in searching work...

Just born infants moved to open space for their safety, before moving to tents....

How many of these babies become orphans today?

Medical assistance provided tp buried trapped victim....

Saving one life is done at all costs....

Autonomous XinJiang province school kids helping with what they can...

[edit on 15/5/08 by IchiNiSan]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
This is the video new report about the Toads coming out.

you.video.sina.com.cn...

In this report the possibility of a natural disaster is raised. An "expert" said it is because of other reasons, and most likely the good harvest of the year...

I understand, this "toad pre-warning" was very far away from the Epicenter, so it would be almost impossible to predict where and when a "natural disaster would hit.

Yet, one will never rule out the possibility that "what if..."

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Could you realy use the actions of wild animals as a form of disaster prevention?

People already dont like the goverment comeing to thier house, and telling them to leave because a storm is coming... i could see how this goes...

"Mamm, you need to leave your house!'
'Why?'
"The Toads in the pond down the road started to move north about 10 mins ago, this Town needs to evacuate!."
'right...'

I am happy to see that things are starting to straighten out in China... still going to have months of work clearing debree, and the rebulding will last years...

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

Yes, almost impossible, unless a foolproof track record. But that would mean scientists need to collect hard data from all over the world, which is unimaginable. And especially in a population densed area (which area is not population densed in China)... The only way is preventing it with strong buildings..

The force of nature is strong, but humans have proven that we can fight the nature. The Netherlands where I was born is meters under sea-level, because the Dutchies never gave up figting the forces of nature. And now they are one of the richest countries on the planet with people safely living behind man-made dams and dykes, safely meters below sea-level. So yes I believe if we are determined and we are willing to spend the necceary efforts to fight the forces of nature, we will succeed as well!

The cleanup months, rebuilding years, but the damages done to the lives will nver be repaired

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluepanic
Many people have no idea how strong this earthquake is.

It is 107 times stronger than 1994 Los Angeles earthquake.

Oh My god!

I was in that quake, that was the strongest quake i had been in my life...

To think that this quake was over 100x stronger, that is intense.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by gs001
I want to ask my American friends, whether helicopter of your air force
have the experience flying in heavy rain condition?

I know at least that the coast guard has plenty of experience flying and rescuing people in pretty heavy rain conditions.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by gs001

Our Coast Guard fly helicopters in the worst of weather. They are often dispatched to fly right into hurricans to rescue those at sea.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
*Double post*

[edit on 15-5-2008 by _Del_]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
High winds and poor visibility are good reasons not to be flying a helicopter (particularly in/near mountainous terrain). I'm unaware of any story involving a USCG helicopter out during actual hurricane conditions.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by _Del_

HH-60 from 106th Air Borne lost along with crew member during the 1991 Halloween storm AKA Hurricane Bob. I have witnessed a rescue in 80 mile an hour winds and driving rain off the coast of Washington.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by _Del_

To my knowledge, rotor blades are more suitable for working in atrocious
weather compare with fixed wing.
I really find some ugly things during this disaster
The first group of helicopters of Chinese army returned to base when
they noticed the bed weather, 1 day was wasted for rescue work.
Earthquake forecast department also did bad work, before the earthquake
occured, there were a lot of odd phenomenons found, but they ignored them.
and the construction contractors.....
After the rescue work, I believe appeals of punishment to these guys
will rise from public.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by gs001

I agree. I can't imagine the weather there was bad enough to ground reliable helicopters. While it may be a bit more risky like we've said, the coast guard flys rescue operations in ridiculous storms, and I've seen police helicopters fly rescue missions here in the desert when people get caught in flash floods during monsoon storms, with high winds, rain, and lots of lightning. Maybe they just lacked experience flying in those conditions?

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but I find it hard to fault a flightcrew for not taking risks in severe weather, particularly in a mountainous, high altitude region with no indication the helicopter is anywhere near as well equiped with all-weather avionics and as say an HH-60, or HH-65. High altitude flight is much more difficult for a helicopter than an airplane. Research Density Altitude (DA) as it relates to difficulties in rotary-wing flight. It'd be foolish to fly with zero or near zero visibility (especially in/near mountains) if you don't have things like weather radar, reliable nav system, or anti icing systems. FLIR would be a bonus. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the pilot(s) because they know how the a/c was equipped.
I didn't know about the Hurricane Bob story -- thank you for passing it along. Could you send me more details? Or point me to a source story?

[edit on 15-5-2008 by _Del_]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I'm confused (and horrible at mathematics.) I thought that each whole number (not fraction) on the richter scale was ten times more powerful than the preceding number. So if the quake in 1994 in LA was a 6.7, wouldn't this quake (a 7.9) be just over ten times more powerful?

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by gs001

Was the rescue work done not impressive enough, and therefore criticism from abroad or at home will always still be yelled out? Is this the nature of people?

If you re-read my posts, then I am also one of the ones to be blamed for crying out loud that we could have prevented more victims from dying if less corruption, or maybe even if a very sophisticated system including animal/insect behavior is developed...

I really believe we should look at everything in a rational way, and should not point fingers to especially the rescue workers now fighting for each single life there. Don't forget, one of the helicopter pilots were crying when they was reporting from what he saw in the first two days...

Here was at least one of the QQ chat records on 13 May from one of my employee...

Friend in Sichuan 10:07:29  - 现场简直不能看了 
Friend in Sichuan 10:08:33  - 年过花甲的总理已经哭得不成样子了 
Friend in Sichuan 10:10:16  - 刚刚挖开的地方又塌方了 
Friend in Sichuan 10:11:24  - 这倒霉天气还在下雨,现在一线的军人已经被下达死命令,必须冒雨解救 
Friend in Sichuan 10:11:30  - 我就在现场 
Friend in Sichuan 10:11:56  - 我现在是在都江堰市 
Friend in Sichuan 10:13:24  - 交通已经瘫痪了,人员和物资很难运进去 
Friend in Sichuan 10:13:47  - 汶川现在还不让我们去 
Friend in Sichuan 10:15:21  - 汶川的交通完全封闭了,现场到底怎么样我不知道,不过早上总理指示军队不管有多大代价,必须进城 
Friend in Sichuan 10:16:03  - 倒霉天气在下雨,飞机几次都不能降落,伞兵马上就要起飞了 
Friend in Sichuan 10:17:36  - 飞机在汶川空投物资了 
Friend in Sichuan 10:20:06  - 被压在废墟下的300多学生现在很危险啊,刚才一次的营救又失败了,现在总理在现场组织再次营救。 
Friend in Sichuan 10:20:47  - 啊 总理摔到了, 
Friend in Sichuan 10:21:35  - 照片我正在传给北京,不经过审核的是不允许发布的 
Friend in Sichuan 10:22:21  - 我和几个同行现在开了9台电脑,同时在传消息 
Friend in Sichuan 10:22:37  - 这个QQ在关键时候传的真慢 
Friend in Sichuan 10:23:39  - 突击队又上了 
Friend in Sichuan 10:25:04  - 如果你现在看见老爷子的样子,你马上就会哭的 
Friend in Sichuan 10:26:40  - 老爷子的手臂受伤出血了,他把要给他包扎的医务人员推开了 
Friend in Sichuan 10:27:09  - 好消息,发现一名学生了 
Friend in Sichuan 10:28:00  - 总理跑到塌方点了,在帮忙呢 
Friend in Sichuan 10:28:13  - 向峨乡中学 
Friend in Sichuan 10:28:33  - 拖出来了,医生在抢救 
Friend in Sichuan 10:28:56  - 部队上来的人还不是很多 
Friend in Sichuan 10:29:07  - 交通太困难 
Friend in Sichuan 10:29:42  - 现在还不一定,这个看样子看活着,吊瓶氧气都挂上了 
Friend in Sichuan 10:31:06  - 啊,又塌了 
Friend in Sichuan 10:31:28  - 突击队一个人被埋进去了 
Friend in Sichuan 10:31:40  - 等等,我到前面看看 
Friend in Sichuan 10:36:24  - 我回来了,抢救出来了 
Friend in Sichuan 10:37:16  - 最新消息,彭州被困的10万群众危险!!! 
Friend in Sichuan 10:38:49  - 由于大雨的影响,工程兵几次架桥失败,附近已经出现泥石流迹象,电话直接是叫通总理的,情况很危险!!! 
Friend in Sichuan 10:39:19  - 由于桥梁倒塌,彭州市10万群众被堵在山中,救灾人员和物资无法运入。已经出现泥石流迹象 
Friend in Sichuan 10:41:11  - 总理电话里大喊,我不管你们怎么样,我只要这10万群众脱险,这是命令。他把电话摔了 
Friend in Sichuan 10:41:33  - 头一次看见老爷子这么厉害 
Friend in Sichuan 10:41:54  - 汶川现在还没通知去,估计情况不是很好 
Friend in Sichuan 10:42:16  - 我现在在通讯帐篷里 
Friend in Sichuan 10:43:54  - 汶川最新消息,雨开始小了,空投物资已经扔下去了,空降兵已经在外围机场登机了 
Friend in Sichuan 10:45:19  - 现在所有的国外记者都在关注号称中国最精锐的特种部队首次公开亮相 
Friend in Sichuan 10:46:50  - 总理现在和登机部队领导说话 
Friend in Sichuan 10:47:41  - 总理说,我就一句话,是人民在养你们,你们自己看着办。 
Friend in Sichuan 11:11:00  - 大家好,我现在是在军用直升机上,头一次坐这种飞机,很紧张。 
Friend in Sichuan 11:12:51  - 我现在在直升机上,估计一个小时后就到什肪了 
Friend in Sichuan 11:34:40  - 最新消息,汶川的映秀、漩口、卧龙三镇通讯信号很弱,至今也无法联系。估计三镇有将近两万多人被困,余震不 断,大雨连绵,情况非常严峻,由于能见度太差,无法判断准确情况。总参命令,当空降部队到达汶川上空时,如 果条件不允许,就不惜代价强行伞降! 
Friend in Sichuan 11:36:38  - 没有,飞机要进入雷区了,我要关机了,等会再和你们聊。 
Friend in Sichuan 13:49:25 - 成都军区飞行员哭著报告:汶川已成人间地狱 由于道路断裂蹋方严重,余震不断,成都军区的先头部队至今无法赶到汶川县城区。据成都军区消息人土透露,12 日下午16点50分,成都军区领导命令两架直升机飞往汶川,一位飞行员哭著报告:惨不忍睹,95%的建筑倒塌,看到 著的人多,会动的人少,汶川已成人间地狱。 据西方媒体估计,估计死亡人数不下5万人
Friend 2 in Sichuan 14:09:45 - 捐血吧
Friend 2 in Sichuan 14:09:53 - 现在最缺的是血
Friend 2 in Sichuan 14:10:00 - 这是一个群里的记者发的现场消息

GS, I don't think i need to translate this to you. I believe this chat record which was sent to my employee on the 2nd day of the disaster. I editted the names for privacy reasons, but it is from a pretty reliable source, because my employee's family (her two brothers and parents) work in the army of Anhui.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
*Update*

China quake toll 'to top 50,000'

More than 50,000 people may have died in the earthquake that devastated parts of China on Monday, state media say.

The warning came after the government confirmed the death toll had risen to 19,500, as rescue efforts continue to search for thousands still trapped.

About 10 million people across Sichuan province have been directly affected by the 7.9 quake, Chinese media said.

Chinese authorities said 60,000 quake victims had been rescued and that all affected areas had now been reached.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by gs001

We in the U.S are still sorting through the incompetence our government displayed during Katrina. I am sure China along with other countries will learn from this.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

One of the thing China learned is to sent someone with aboslute power to there to save as many lives as possible and making sure all resources required are utilized...

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by IchiNiSan

It is obvious that the Chinese Authorities are making a valiant effort. More than 60,000 rescued speaks to that. I am praying that the death count stays below that dread number of 50,000. If it reaches that many would it be Chinas worst natural disaster?

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join