It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake of a magnitude 7.8 reported in China *UPDATE* 'to top 50,000' killed

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

No, in 1976 the Great TangShan Earthquake took the lives of roughly a quarter of a million

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I just answered my own question. I had no idea that the 1976 quake killed so many. 255,000 people. The link here also speaks about the prediction from animal behavior.history1900s.about.com...

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
My counting is 18270 deathtoll
Official Deathtoll still 19509, but WenChuan is still not reported yet. We really hope it will not exceed 50,000

These are simply numbers, but behind each of these numbers are human lifes...

16 May 2008 11:07h
Area..........................Casulties......Wounded.......Buried/Unknown........Trapped
Sichuan 四川:
MianYang 绵阳.............8113............2323.............18486.......................1396
DeYang 德阳................6701............21020...........6200.........................2600
ChengDu 成都..............1215............5735
GuangYuan 广元...........1479............14838...........1102
YaAn 雅安....................20................421
ABaChuan 阿坝州..........161............725............11

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
You ever wonder why countries that have Nuclear weapons and have been known to test them have the worst and potentially frequent (close together) Earthquakes?

For example, North Korea's most recent Nuclear test in October of 2006 caused an Earthquake of 4.2 magnitude.

The U.S. Geological Survey Web site recorded a light 4.2-magnitude earthquake in North Korea at 10:35 a.m., about 385 kilometers (240 miles) northeast of the North Korean capital, Pyongyang.

South Korean intelligence officials said a seismic wave of magnitude-3.58 had been detected in North Hamkyung province, according to Yonhap.

The US has experienced several small Earthquakes recently in Nevada. Nevada is the US military primary test site for Nuclear and conventional weapons.

China has the largest Nuclear testing site in the world called "Lop Nur".

The test site is the world's largest, occupying an area of over 100,000 sq km, with over 2,000 km of highways. Commercial satellite imagery shows that about 20,000 sq km have been used for testing. No duplicate facility was ever built under the "Third Line." Also the site for China's nuclear weapons training. Possibly also the location of a nuclear weapons stockpile. The headquarters of the test base is in Malan, about 125 km northwest of Qinggir.

The test site uses regions. Each region conducts a different type of test from the other. Two types of tests involve "Tunnel shots" or Nuclear blasts through man-made tunnels. Other regions are used for vertical and horizontal shaft tests.

These types of tests are conducive to creating Earthquakes, much like in North Korea incident.

It is possible underground Nuclear testing has been increased by countries expecting to go to war sooner than later.

Always a possibility.

China also conducted an underground Nuclear test in 1976:

(#20) 17 October 1976 10-20 kT (2.6 kT) Underground -- Fission

[edit on 15-5-2008 by jetxnet]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
as for the helicopter landing issue, i think earthquake in high altitude mountain area is a different story from hurrricane in plain land.. since scarce of navigation facilities, helicopter can't find the proper position and will encounter strong distraction caused by so many afterquakes with big magnitude.

admittedly, china's helicopter maybe is not so good as america's and pilots are lack of the experience in such atrocious weather..

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Sent you an U2U about your first paragraph, and the post from a known anti-China crusader 2 posts up above this one is exactly the ones I was referring to.

[edit on 15/5/08 by IchiNiSan]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
The relief efforts of China sure are worlds away from how it is done in Burma.

Yes, even US authorities could learn a lot here.

My kudos to Chinese authorities and my prayers to its people.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
IchiNiSan, how is that any different then the US vs. China HAARP thread?

I also mentioned the US has had earthquakes, though smaller in Neveada around those test sites. Those sites have been moved alot as to prevent any disasters (or at least, the most minimal).

It is concern for any country doing testing, you can't count that out as a potential cause. That's all.

I should mention that I feel bad for the Chinese people and what they are going through and wish them the best in their efforts and for those who have lost anyone close to them.

[edit on 15-5-2008 by jetxnet]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by wwssii

I agree that the terrain of the devestated area would be a difficult one for helicopters. I certainly did not mean to down play the skills of chinese pilots.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

Don't you still understand?
1) bring up RELIABLE CREDIBLE sources if you are claiming something
2) can you read the whole read from the beginning first, maybe you will understand, maybe EVEN you will understand
3) yes, I am prejudiced against you, because every single post I see you post something, somehow you can relate that to your "evil China", especially when this morning I wake up and check "recent posts" and see YET ANOTHER new thread from you making an anti-China thread without references/sources
4) besides the anti-China posts, I believe I am not the only member of this community who have accused you of being ignorant and didn't feel you are welcome on this board
5) and again, I don't believe you anymore because you have lost all trust from me by trying to accuse me of something I did not do. Hey seem that you are using the EDIT function more often now. People with whom I had fierce discussions before at least kept it ethical.

And yes, I needed someone who I have no respect for to bash on to let out some frustrations, thank you for dropping your o-so sincere note.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by khunmoon

Khunmoon, been a while talking to you. Just saw your post in the other thread, have my opinion about it and will reply it when I feel more in the mood. Just for your information I heard over in the CHINESE radio that the Dalai Lama is planning to hold Tibetan Buddhism ceremony giving prayers to the victims of the Earthquake.

An autonomous governed region was also hit by the Earthquake
Will get some more information for you about those minorities

I start to see some criticism articles in the world media about China not allowing rescue teams coming over....quite disappointed to hear about these criticism, and wonder if the same media will report that rescue teams from many foregn countries are coming over....

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by IchiNiSan

Ichi..I just ran into this thread www.abovetopsecret.com...
I'm not suggesting the whole HAARP thing but the OP has put up some interesting video of strangley lit clouds right befor the quake. In the link I posted earlier it spoke of strange lights in the sky before the 1976 quake.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   

China's rescue equipment and screw skill indeed need improvement.. they can conduct better if they have america's black hawk.. but, now china has excerted her best efforts.

as for the nuclear testing, i dont think any country can carry out such test stealthily now since the planet is so small under such advanced technologies. America monitored this quake almost in the same time and found the epicenter exactly.. no country can evade such kind of monitor.. and china's nuclear testing used to be in desert and we dare not test that stuff in such populous area resolvedly.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   

As a regular ATS member, I am fully aware of all these different conspiracy theories.

CERN is doing their tests, Evil NWO and HAARP is aiming at depopulation with weather control, Tesla who supposedly wasthe first one inventing earthquake machines, God is punishing the people, Nibiru coming closer, Polar changes, Sun flares, Climate Change and so on and so on....

You can fill hundreds of pages of it over here and people will have the wildest ideas. I prefer to keep it at the natural disaster right now, because I don't think we need a World War 3 based on some outright speculation about certain agressors....

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   

You misunderstand..I wanted you to see the footage of the strange clouds. I absolutley do not believe that this has anything to do with weapons, I was thinking it could be a natural sign as I have heard of people in other places in the world seeing bright orbs and strange lights right before an earthquake. Another way of predicting.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by wwssii

China's rescue equipment and screw skill indeed need improvement.. they can conduct better if they have america's black hawk.. but, now china has excerted her best efforts.

China has black hawk

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by gs001

And it looks like those Black Hawks are working hard. Have you heard anything on strange lights being seen just before the quake? I have a link here that describes how before many earthquakes people report strange lights in the sky.inamidst.com...

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Ah, those clouds, I saw it too somewhere. Odd events, just like those toads or animals in the zoos.

Last night I heard a student made an essay in 2007 predicting that a big earthquake is due for Gansu/Sichuan.

I think not enough resources worldwide is spent on natural disaster predictions. With enough efforts and more open mind we should be able to collect the hard/soft data needed to make an accurate prediction system in the future... hopefully sooner than later....

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   

I think that picture was made in 2006....

trying to gather pictures and footages of the helicopters used in this crisis.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Maybe if our world leaders just invested a fraction of the resources they put into weapons and put it towards the study of natural events that could help us predict quakes many lives could be saved. Here in the midwest I sit on the New Madrid fault and I live in an old historic building and would appreciate any forwarning. For now I will trust my dog.

I think the world became helpless and frightened when man became mechanized.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join