It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 310
<< 307  308  309    311  312  313 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ugie1028
reply to post by Helig

we were trying to get them to stop. people don't listen, its themselves over everyone else. Its a shame chat is down, but yes, until there is a more effective way to deal with these problems, then there is no use continuing chat.
edit on 10/11/2010 by ugie1028 because: (no reason given)

Isn't banning the offensive party effective? In all fairness, this should be re-evaluated. Closing chat is just a slap in the face to the well-behaved members who did no wrong.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
The logs revel some tame anti gay sentiments , nothing more geeexeee this is sad.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
reply to post by Common Good

the last time chat was taken away, upon it's return, it was explained that there would be zero tolerance for the childish antics that take place. It was explained that the onus was on the membership to keep it under control, or chat would be removed. Again.

The logs revealed more of the same. If you folks can't keep each other in line, for the sake of something you enjoy, how do you expect us to do it?

Yea, right. Like a few posters(who obviously dont care about the rules of chat) are going to listen to OTHER MEMBERS. Thats laughable.
You tell me, you guys do a great job of banning people from the chat when they accidentally hit the 'enter' key too fast causing "flooding", but you cant keep a few morons who obviously dont care about the rules out?
Its real easy..you see whos causing problems,,,then you boot em from the chat, that way other members can continue on having a civilized conversation. Its not up to the other members to police the ones that are acting like fools, thats the mods job, thats what they are there for am I wrong?

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   

problem is, we can't be in chat all the time and, obviously, you guys need parental supervision. it's sad.

Originally posted by bluemooone2
The logs revel some tame anti gay sentiments , nothing more geeexeee this is sad.

you've read the logs?

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

The problem with IP banning is that its not a panacea, anybody with a little know-how can evade an IP based ban simply by rebooting their connecting device (DSL/Cable/POTS modem) and getting a new public IP address from the ISP. It never worked well back in the glory days of IRC and I doubt it would be any more effective today now that unsecured wireless access points are all the rage in homes across the world.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I have never been to chat.

Is there an ignore option so one can ignore someone who is acting up?

What does one do if they are chatting with friends and someone comes on and causes trouble?
Do you ask that person politely to be nice and if they can't then please leave?
Would it then be that the group, if the offending person does not stop, would have to all hang up and try again later and leave that person to misbehave by himself?

Just my thoughts.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

And "they" wonder why I stress the importance of the T&C's in chat.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I was there . Mild anti gay settlements was all and some bickering. No reason to even be discussing this. Thread closed.

link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Hi Crakeur,

I wasn't going to wade into this, as I do empathize with the headaches that admin is obviously facing with the chatroom. But I have a thought about the self-policing concept.

Maybe it would be a viable answer to empower a few regular and mature users to be chatroom mods, ala IRC. People who have the ability to silence or kick unruly users for some period of time. That would allow us to keep our own house clean, so to speak. And give us time to get an actual mod or admin into the picture when necessary.

Just my thoughts,

~Heff

link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Most of us do keep people in line tho.

I know that on a regular basis I am warning people they will get banned if they continue this line of conversation - and 9 times out of 10 they stop.

Collective Punishment is stupid frankly, but like Obama said "I wont judge the wisdom of their decision".

It only took me a few times of getting kicked for me to start taking it seriously - but the whole chat-room didnt have to get shut down for me to learn that.

I look forward to when its back up.

Cheers.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Yes & no... the chat feature is PUBLIC, LIVE and PUBLIC. ATS ADMINS/MODS wont always be in the chat-room to settle things. Peoples feelings get hurt because of a member who decided it was within his right to start a flame war. Members tried to stop it, but it couldn't be controlled. I myself would like to see it come back, but we keep ending up at the same place. Banned. Yea you might be able to weed out a member, but another one will always pop up to take that persons place. ATS chat is hard to control... until there is a way to moderate the live chat effectively, SO is within his right to shut it down. Its the image of ATS. Manners and decorum are top priority here (its what makes ATS great). Would you like chat to be known for its live troll function, or would you want a place where everyone is civil?

I am on both sides here, yes i want chat back, and think one or two members shouldn't be the cause for the shut down but its also public, and subject to the rules. If it cant be managed, then what do you recommend?

link   

problem is, we can't be in chat all the time and, obviously, you guys need parental supervision. it's sad.

WELL FIX THE PROBLEM. KEEP A MOD in Chat at all times.

"you guys need parental supervision". NO. Certain members do.
" it's sad." _ no, the actions of ATS is sad.

What is the point of having a feature on your site, when you guys cant even keep it under control? And to top it off, you blame other members because a few get out of line. I didnt know being a policeman was part of my subscription to this site.

link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

and I have the logs as back up. what you see as mild, the entire staff found utterly offensive. add to that, the threats and suggestions made by more than one member, and you've got a rather nice listing of some T&C violations.

link   

Originally posted by bluemooone2

you've read the logs?

Parental supervision?
I'm 52 years old! I completely understand that staff cannot be in chat 24/7, but somewhere it was discovered that there was a problem and the offenders were not dealt with properly. Instead, all members suffered and in my opinion that isn't fair or right. Heck, make a few of us well-behaved regulars mods for chat only. I'll warn first and boot second. Doesn't seem too difficult unless I'm missing something here.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   

you guys need parental supervision. it's sad.

Oh way to group us together. Your statement irks me greatly. The typical "you guys" statement. Oh wow. Come on dude. Don't give me that. ATS is about "Denying Ignorance," yet you group all the ATS chatters into the category of "you guys." That sure seems ignorant to me.

For realz brah.

-SOLARE
edit on 11-10-2010 by SolarE-Souljah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

I'm sorry Crakeur, but I have some beef with this statement:

If you folks can't keep each other in line, for the sake of something you enjoy, how do you expect us to do it?

WE as the members who use chat do not have the authority or power to "keep people in line." We do not have moderator privileges, or we would have kicked out the offenders some time ago. Those that don't care who they affect will continue to do the same things whether it be in chat or on the boards. That is the nature of anonymity as I am sure you know. If I could, I'd be banning anybody that tried to screw it up for the rest of us. Making polite suggestions to those who are trying to violate the T&C's does not seem to work. Like I said, those people don't care.

Yes, we agreed to behave as a whole. Most of us regular users of chat have not violated T&C's or even come close to it. It is the same users over and over again that are screwing it up for the rest of us, and I'm sure complaints have been filed before (I have not been in chat today, so I do not know the nature of what happened). If an alert button were programmed into the chat (if it isn't already there), like we have on the boards, perhaps these problems would soon cease to exist. I have no problems with giving up my own chat rights if I screw up, but to be punished for the idiocy and child-like behaviour of others is not something that bodes well with me.

My $.02.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Hmm I left chat after a time so U may b e right . I hope not tho

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   

It's been suggested (by me) to turn chat on, only when an admin or super mod is around to sit and monitor it. Will it be better? In a sense, I guess. I know that when I have entered chat in the past, all chatting ceases. Why? Admin in the room.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Helig

well to be honest, I am sure they are spending some decent hard earned money to have this venue on chat, that standards set for this chat is also high, in which I understand fully, but being on the internet FOREVER, I have seen this before its a pattern, I am not sure how the admin of ATS, can maintain a chatroom, and keep it to a level of their standards, perhaps creating some kinda of reward system I suppose, by spending ats points to join or what have you, to where people do not take the chatroom for granted and all can be happy, or they can make a more complex and sophisticated room where bells and whistles go off anytime behavior in posts make bells and whistles go off..

I dunno sometimes its easier to just destroy something and start over, as oppose to trying to do the same things over and over again to make it work. Their will always be disruptions in freedom. If its free you will have those that represent free in every shape and form.. I hope that made sense.

as for the other folk Helig, and you others I recognize, it is a shame, we had some very fun times on chat, as a matter a fact ats chat helped me get thru a stressful time last summer I worked millions of hours and I would come onto ats chat for a lil while and have a good time with you guys. Yet I dunno if in design ats chat was developed for us to medicate our lack of social exposure or whatever you want to call it.. Whatever the case, it might be a positive action to do away with the chat at least for awhile, or until something can be surmised where the admin of ats can be satisfied with a jewel on their website. At this point I do not see them satisfied with their actions associated with it.

to be honest I think the chatroom is already broken anyway..

most of the old folk who frequented chat are gone anyhow, when we do come around we dont chat much anymore.. I just watch and to be sincere allot of what is discussed on the chat board is kinda uninspiring. No real good topic to discuss, and everyone seems to be gripping the steering wheel so tight you can see the whites of their knuckles..
edit on 11-10-2010 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

I agree that chat mods would be great. Not full on mods, but mini mods for chat that could alert full on mods if perceived problems do occur in chat...

Star for you, Night Star.

new topics

top topics

<< 307  308  309    311  312  313 >>

join