It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

INTERVIEW-"Torture is terrorism", ex-Guantanamo man tells US

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   

INTERVIEW-"Torture is terrorism", ex-Guantanamo man tells US

www.reuters.com

Haj said he and the other Guantanamo detainees had been subjected to all kinds of torture, but the worst had been when his jailers insulted Islam or desecrated the Koran in front of prisoners.

"Security and human rights are inseparable issues -- you cannot have one without the other," he told Reuters in an interview.

"Human rights are not only for times of peace -- you need to hold onto them always even during difficult times and times of war," he added.

"My last message to the U.S. administration is that torture will not stop terrorism -- torture is terrorism."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
"Torture is terrorism" that about sums it up.

A complete and total disgrace to our country!

Al Jazeera cameraman Sami al-Hajj ,beaten and interrogated 130 times, hit out at US treatment of detainees at Guantanamo military prison. He was held for six and a half years without trial.

Al-Hajj, who arrived in Sudan early on Friday, was carried off the US air force jet in a stretcher and immediately taken to hospital. "In Guantanamo ... rats are treated with more humanity. But we have people from more than 50 countries that are completely deprived of all rights and privileges"

Wrong guy .....sorry we tortured you...

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-5-2008 by Leo Strauss]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
And what he does not tell you, what he does not even know, is that Allah is one of 360 Palastinian idols. Mohammeds' family worshipped the Moon god, Allah. And he was having problems with his family. What ever he did, suddenly he created this new religion, received the divine message from who? Why, Allah, of course! I had two photos of Allah, but they burned in the SD Firestorm. Now, the Koran, when not downplayed, quite clearly endorses a 'convert or die' philosophy. And women are not really people. But that is OK, if you want to kill, or endorse killing,
those of all other beliefs, you are welcome to your terrorist religion. In the end, you will still wind up before either Allah, or Abrahams' God, Jehovah. Personally, I am not a Moon god man.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Take a look. From "Taxi to the Dark Side" a documentary about an innocent man tortured to death by our government....ooops sorry we tortured you to death....

[edit on 2-5-2008 by Leo Strauss]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gregarious
And what he does not tell you, what he does not even know, is that Allah is one of 360 Palastinian idols. Mohammeds' family worshipped the Moon god, Allah. And he was having problems with his family. What ever he did, suddenly he created this new religion, received the divine message from who? Why, Allah, of course! I had two photos of Allah, but they burned in the SD Firestorm. Now, the Koran, when not downplayed, quite clearly endorses a 'convert or die' philosophy. And women are not really people. But that is OK, if you want to kill, or endorse killing,
those of all other beliefs, you are welcome to your terrorist religion. In the end, you will still wind up before either Allah, or Abrahams' God, Jehovah. Personally, I am not a Moon god man.

So that 'validates' the torture? I am not understanding here. Would it matter if he shared your faith? So his religion makes him unworthy of the same rights we claim for ourselves? Is he worthy of torture because he was accused of being a terrorist, is that all t takes? If you 'decide' I might be a terrorist your idea of 'the right thing to do' is beat me, take me away, until you are convinced I am not a terrorist and you have no more fear of me? Remind me to run away next time I see you.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
"Lorie van Auken, one of the September 11 Advocates, speaks in this video about why it's important that true justice is served to the detainees at Guantánamo.

Van Auken is supporting the ACLU's John Adams Project, the ACLU's effort to assist in the legal representation of Guantánamo detainees. You can learn more about the project, and read the September 11 Advocates' statement in support of it, at www.aclu.org/johnadams."

Lorie van Auken lost her husband on 9/11 supports the rights of GITMO "detainees".

Can't You????

Stop torture in your name NOW!!!

Does George Bush speak for you???

[edit on 3-5-2008 by Leo Strauss]

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
You must work for the Fed. Where, oh where, did you get my endorsing torture? Do you realize that the Fed has now nixed our writ of habeas corpus? That we now have zero rights, that we can be arrested and held in perpetuity, without a legitimate reason? In a different direction, we also now can only vote for the puppet masters' candidate A, or the puppet masters' candidate B. We do have a choice. His man A, or B. Choose your poison. We have the right to bear arms for the time when our people finally wake up to the truth going on around them. So we can fight back. Russia could not. Had their arms removed. Took them awhile longer. If in fact anything was ever changed over there. I am, by my own admission, a conservative far-right winger. What is occuring in the US at the moment, is nothing short of anti-American. And few are aware of it. I hope Hillary is the president when America is nuked. Mystery BAbylon. One hour.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I

Originally posted by Maxmars

Originally posted by Gregarious

So that 'validates' the torture? I am not understanding here. Would it matter if he shared your faith? So his religion makes him unworthy of the same rights we claim for ourselves? Is he worthy of torture because he was accused of being a terrorist, is that all t takes? If you 'decide' I might be a terrorist your idea of 'the right thing to do' is beat me, take me away, until you are convinced I am not a terrorist and you have no more fear of me? Remind me to run away next time I see you.

I did not understand about how to quote. So here it all is. Also, we HAD the right to bear arms. In Cal, at least, we no longer have the right to bear arms bigger than the governments, the Big Brother. Illegal to own a .50 calliber, which goes right thru flac jackets, and cracks engine blocks. Necessary to fight a rogue government. Personally, I don't think it will ever come down to that. Not enough time left.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Of course torture is one of the tool used by goverments, dictators and terrorist to instill fear. But before we go all nuts and like on other issues try to blame America for shoving water down on people throats let condemned the terrorist that behead innocent people just for propaganda purposes, lets condemned the dictators in Africa that pursue a policy of rape and undiscrimanted torture to their OWN citizens in hopes of staying in power.

On the issue of torture the only reason and rightfully so that the U.S. its been criticized so heavily is because of what U.S. stands for. But to criticize the U.S. and then look the other way when Eugen Armstrong, Paul Johnson Jr, Daniel Pearl, Nick Berg and others had suffer far worst than what this guy had to go through its just shows a disingenuous approach of caring about this issue.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Beheadings will not stop American imperialism! Imagine somebody saying that when insurgents and terrorists are beheading people.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

This should be an issue about Human Rights and not geopolitical discussion. Thats is the problem that I see when it comes to human rights, people want to politicized everything at the end nothing gets done and people still get tortured and killed everyday around the world.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
OK, let's disect this little piece of dung courtesy of Opheera McDoom... Hmm.... Oh fear of my doom? That's gotta be a pen name. Maybe there is some sort of conspiracy here afterall. Like the conspiracy that makes me wonder if this entire story is someone's idea of a prank... Anyway, on with the show!

Haj said he and the other Guantanamo detainees had been subjected to all kinds of torture, but the worst had been when his jailers insulted Islam or desecrated the Koran in front of prisoners.

Hmm, "all kinds of torture" yet the article names not a single one? Apparently according to al-Haj none of them were worse than some insults about Islam and who knows what with a bundle of papers with religious scribblings on them. If this is true, then I was tortured (and thus, terrorized) by Michael Wincott while watching the movie "The Crow" when his character "Top Dollar" cracked a joke about Jesus asking an inn keeper if he could "put him up for the night" imitating the crucifixition. I have also been tortured (and again, a victim of terrorism) by some a-hole that scratched a crudely drawn penis and vagina inside the cover of a Gideon's bible left in the side table drawer of a Super 8 motel I stayed in for a night in Farmington, New Mexico some years ago. Even more disgusting are all the times I've been the victim of unprovoked torture and acts of terror by atheists who mock Christianity, the Bible, Jesus, etc on a daily basis everywhere you turn in America. Obviously, I'm taking things just a little too far here. None of these were acts of torture or terrorism, regardless of what our little friend al-Haj might believe. Fighting words & deeds, maybe... but I guess by that logic "you're a big fat doody head" is grounds for jihad.

Haj looked frail but visibly stronger than 12 hours earlier, when he arrived in chains aboard a U.S. military plane from the U.S. prison in Cuba, where he spent the last 16 months on hunger strike in protest at his illegal detention.

If I recall correctly, it's considered torture to force feed them, but also torture to allow them to starve themselves to death, right? Can you smell the set-up for damned if you do, damned if you don't?

Lying on his hospital bed he barely had enough strength to greet President Omar Hassan al-Bashir and the dozens of ministers and well-wishers ecstatic at his return.

His brother Asim collapsed with exhaustion on his arrival after the years of campaigning for his release finally drew to an end.

Nice to see the Sudan has learned about government sponsored media grandstanding! "Look at the man! He's so weak he couldn't pull a greased string out of a cat's butthole, yet he can still muster the strength to greet the president of his nation! (not to mention grant an interview with Oh Fear of My Doom!)" Please, they're playing this for all it's worth, which IMHO isn't much.

"His mother was constantly sending me pictures of him ... but even if I had not seen the picture I would have known him among thousands of children by my strong sense of fatherhood," he said.

Oh, so your cruel captors allowed you to recieve mail and photos from home during your stay in Torture Bunker #1? Interesting. Seems like a truly mean, angry regime wouldn't have allowed you to see that mail. Could this just be another example of overhyping and exaggerating the bad while allowing the good to dribble down the leg and into hidden places somewhere along the inseam? I think it just might!

This article reeked of media sensationalism combined with foreign government pandering.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I stopped reading the news article after he made the comment about security and human rights.

Don't care what any poster has responded with.

This piece of crap should be lucky "we" didn't lop off his head while the video tape was running and posting it on Arabcamelf**king.com.

I can't say what I really want to say because of the T&S of this site.

"We" do observe the Geneva Convention. Remember though, these are terrorists, not military of a foreign nation. These clowns are fed, clothed, and housed with my taxpayer dollars. I'd rather have them shot, but that is my opinion. Every Iraqi that was dressed in military BDU's and surrendered was treated as a POW, it's only the terrorists dressed as civilians, and tried to play soldier, who are in our bad boy camp

THEY observe nothing except the Koran which allows them to kill infidels which is apparently okay with everyone except people like me who want to just kill them first.

Group hugs and good food will not change these people. They want to kill Americans or any civilized person of a different religion. People just don't believe this but it is that simple.

Kill them, wrap them in pork skins, and leave them on the market square. You will have population control before the week is out.

EOM...

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   

You sir just recieved a star for one of the most clever, astute comments I have read on this site.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
The Bush administration won't stop torturing innocent people, nor feel the slightest shred of remorse, until it's them who are being tortured, defecated on, and sexually humiliated.

... so, lets put them there.

I'm looking at my watch, the little hand points to "Trial Time", but the train is no-where in sight.

Let's face it, Justice is now illegal in this country. The only thing that is legal is blind fascist support for your god...er... president.

I suppose we shall just have to wait for someone to do it 'illegally'.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by hinky
I stopped reading the news article after he made the comment about security and human rights.

Don't care what any poster has responded with.

This piece of crap should be lucky "we" didn't lop off his head while the video tape was running and posting it on Arabcamelf**king.com.

I can't say what I really want to say because of the T&S of this site.

"We" do observe the Geneva Convention. Remember though, these are terrorists, not military of a foreign nation. These clowns are fed, clothed, and housed with my taxpayer dollars. I'd rather have them shot, but that is my opinion. Every Iraqi that was dressed in military BDU's and surrendered was treated as a POW, it's only the terrorists dressed as civilians, and tried to play soldier, who are in our bad boy camp

THEY observe nothing except the Koran which allows them to kill infidels which is apparently okay with everyone except people like me who want to just kill them first.

Group hugs and good food will not change these people. They want to kill Americans or any civilized person of a different religion. People just don't believe this but it is that simple.

Kill them, wrap them in pork skins, and leave them on the market square. You will have population control before the week is out.

EOM...

You should be ashamed of yourself. What a bunch of pathetic racist drivel.

Your comments about Islam and the Koran are small-minded and predictable. Maybe you should read The Bible or study religious history sometime. All major religions have blood on their hands. I'd say you've been brainwashed by neocons who want to distract you with a common enemy long enough to take away all your rights. I'd say the American military has killed more civilians than Al-Qaeda, after all.

Oh, and a majority of people detained at Guantanamo are innocent, by the way. A 2006 analysis of Department of Defense data found that 55% of detainees have committed no hostile actions against the United States or its allies.

[edit on 5-5-2008 by bled_eidol]

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

am i supposed to pity this guy?

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
My point is that torture is illegal.

Now I know that ruins you "wanna be killahs" day but that is a fact.

I can only pray that one day you will be picked up by police and held with no charges because you "may be" a "threat". Disappeared from family and friends then tortured into confessing that you are an enemy of the state and left to rot in jail for 6 1/2 years. Then maybe you might begin to understand what our constitution and bill of rights means in real life.

Maybe you just hate A rabs and I can't help you with that. That is just ignorance hatred and fear.

One more fact Iraq did not attack nor threaten to attack the US. We waged an unjustified "preemptive war" another new disgraceful phrase coined by the Bush administration. Never have we as a nation sunk so low as during the last 8 years.

My question to you... is your only solution to kill 3 billion muslims?? Really ...just asking?

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   

That doesn't even relate.

I thought we were fighting terrorism because they are a threat and use cowardice tactics. Now you want to use their tactics to justify ours?

[edit on 5-5-2008 by Sublime620]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

These clowns have no Constitutional rights nor does the Bill of Rights apply to them. They really have no Geneva Convention Rights, if one would actually understand that and not just make blanket statements about terrorist and their behavior just being misunderstood.

We are just being civil by feeding them and keeping them in cages. This is better treatment than they would offer you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join