It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Origin Of China's 2008 Olympics Logo?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
There is A difference between a joke and racistic message, and either the OP was spreading the former or the latter by now, I believe the intention is pretty clear, especially after his last post.

As for his reply to you, I refer you to my signatures. And even for that video he referred you to, there is another side of the coin too.

[edit on 1/5/08 by IchiNiSan]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I think some sensitivity for others is called for!

The Chinese have been through a LOT of stuff!!!!
The Japanese, American propaganda and betrayal. Their own taskmasters.
To make light of their sometimes precarious politics is immature and ignorant IMHO!

It's nowhere near a joke. How can we help if we ridicule?
What are we going to do when the NWO takes EVERY country in it's grasp?

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Clearskies, Great points.

To all:

And to illustrate the general feelings of the ordinary Chinese about the recent increasing anti-China sentiments.

Here is a poem, which kinda express to some extend the voice of the Chinese people. (Please ignore the broken English, as I suspect it was translated by someone into English, had posted in another thread, where the OP is more open minded)

What do you want from Us? - A Poem Dedicated to the last 150 years of this planet. By a Slient, Silent Chinese.

When We were called Sick man of Asia, We were called The Peril.
When We are billed to be the next Superpower, We are called The threat.

When We were closed our doors, You smuggled Drugs to Open Markets.
When We Embrace Freed Trade, You blame us for Taking away your jobs.

When We were falling apart, You marched in your troops and wanted your fair share.
When We were putting the broken peices together again, Free Tibet you screamed, it was an invasion! (When Woodrow Wilson Couldnt give back Birth Place of Confucius back to Us, But He did bought a ticket for the Famine Relief Ball for us.)

So, We Tried Communism, You hated us for being Communists.
When We embrace Capitalism, You hate us for being Capitalist.

When We have a Billion People, you said we were destroying the planet.
When We are tried limited our numbers, you said It was human rights abuse.

When We were Poor, You think we are dogs.
When We Loan you cash, You blame us for your debts.

When We build our industries, You called us Polluters.
When we sell you goods, You blame us for global warming.

When We buy oil, You called that exploitation and Genocide.
When You fight for oil, You called that Liberation.

When We were lost in Chaos and rampage, You wanted Rules of Law for us. When We uphold law and order against Violence, You called that Violating Human Rights.

When We were silent, You said you want us to have Free Speech.
When We were silent no more, You say we were Brainwashed-Xenophonics.

Why do you hate us so much? We asked. No, You Answered, We dont hate You.
We dont Hate You either, But Do you understand us? Of course We do, You said, We have AFP, CNN and BBCs
What do you really want from us?

For a Westerner to fully understand the whole poem, it would require someone to have a VERY open-mind and dig into certain things in history books.

Example 1: "When We were Poor, You think we are dogs."
During the colonial period, "special areas in the major (mainly port) cities were "leased out" (aka forced) to European empirialists. Back then, it was very common to put up a sign in front of restricted areas with "Chinese people and Dogs are forbidden."

Example 2: "When We were closed our doors, You smuggled Drugs to Open Markets."
This line reflects the Opium wars between China and Great Britain.

And so on and so on,

When people don't start to at least try understanding another people's culture, norms, values and mentality and only resort to low-level ignorant bashing, then you will only be remembered as one of the people widening the gap between different nations.

And ironically all these guys making these kinds of posts will say that they do not believe everything that they read or see, but the case is if when the "ultimate truth of the Chinese evilness" popped up, did you ever consider that there is another side of the coin, and that maybe you should do your own due diligence. And don't come with sources found in another Free Tibet site then, there are plenty of more neutral less biased independent sources.

P.s. Stop staring at that annoying five star fire red wavering flag please, and think for a split second about what is said by an ordinary Chinese dude who care too much for having peace in this tiny world.

[edit on 1/5/08 by IchiNiSan]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by IchiNiSan

I think some of the people here are young and don't know much about China and history. My own history classes in high school was mostly facts without perspective.
I think a lot of people just hope that freedoms increase in China WITHOUT greedy elitists taking over, either!

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
newb ponage, dog diggity, home skillit
i must say those chinese do have, smaallll amounts of facial hair

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Thats a nice poem.

Did you write it?

And i will admit it, I do know a bit more on the history of Western Europe, the Americas, Africa, and the Middle east Quite a bit more then that of the Far East.

The Main things to come from the far east are the black plauge, and the Mongols... until now...

China is booming... with 1.3 billion people, i am sure there are many good people in China.

But to ignore the acts of the goverment is inexcusible. And we have the right, at least here in the USA, to say what we want. This is the first thing in our US Bill of Rights

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Thats what we live by here. That is the right to say anything you want. Not what is popular, but anything you want, reguardless of who it offends.

I have no ill will against the people of China. I think any Chiniese person can become a great American, but the basic nature of the Chiniese goverment is vehemently against the basic, moral, and ethical nature of what America was founded on. I do not know the history of China, nor what your founding documents are... but feel free to fill us in...

But you have to admit, on the unintentional comedy scall, the logo of the 08 Olymics is off the charts. Sometimes devine purpose is the thing we call chance. I dont know. It works, the logo looks like what the cartoon is describing.

Mabye you could make your own cartoon of some upcoming next olymics... rather then just call everything raceist...

Nice little map of China History

[edit on 5/7/2008 by TKainZero]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

Hey that is a pretty neat map, thanks for sharing! History is very dynamic, and one can dig into the Chinese history for life and you still have yet come to the conclusion that he still don't know much about China
Even for a history-freak (also for the rest of the world) and Chinese dude like me.

As for the poem, no I did not write it, I am not as angry as the author, or at least I am much more optimistic and less disappointed about the current Western world than the author AND many others. I just thought it kinda reflect the feelings of the majority of Chinese people right now. One thing the recent events have shown the Chinese people and the world is that it seems like Chinese people all over the world is much more united and patriotic than always assumed.

As for the logo, any logo, simply any of either a company, event or country. For any of it, there are unfortunately too many negative viewed people who are creative enough to twist it according to what they want. So I do not put too much value on it, untill it is used in a serious political way to insult a whole nation, which is clearly the intention over here.

I do share with your point that USA and the China are fundamentally two different nation built on two different system and constitutions. Even though China is in culture much older (how many times?), but as a nation we are still in baby-steps and much younger than USA. We have made a lot of mistakes since the establishment of the current China. But we already learned from it in the hard way, that's why Deng Xiaoping (the greatest leader in modern China) had thrown open China in a radical and very succesful way 3 decades ago. It's an extremely long-term plan to peacefully develop the nation and bring prosperity to every single of over 1.3 billion people with 56 different ethnicities, who are still living in an underdeveloped emerging country. Come to China, visit the rural areas and you will see what I mean. In general the Chinese people is very conscience, we are fully aware that we are living under an imperfect system, but as stated, if we are still in baby-steps and still learning, then you have to prioritize. We prefer stability and order especially if you have seen what we have learned from the 5000 year history map, during periods of decentralization, China is dragged in civil wars and invasions, suffer and disasters come with it. Wish the dynamic map could have shown the Japanese invasions, Colonial empirialists wars, civil wars, rebellion uprisings and so on for the past 200 years. So in other words, even though we know that we are living in an imperfect system, but we will keep on supporting our leaders, as long as we can see that China is being lead into the right direction and in balance the over majority gain from this peaceful development. People should not be misled by the "communism" term, China have abandoned collectivism 3 decades ago. However don't expect that China will not be prepared and be defenseless against new agressions, that's why the upgrade in our military forces.....

[edit on 7/5/08 by IchiNiSan]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
China is diffrent then all other countires...

China has been united under a common langue and culture for a LONG time.

I remember reading that all of China started the process of becoming united long ago... with the foundation of a common launguage 1000's of years ago. If i remember right, the orgins of the Standard Chiniese alphabet are over 2000 years old. And the language is pread through-out all of China... Meaning, MANY thousands of years ago, the was a people that conquered all of the Chiniese territory, and instilled a language and culture that lasted 1000's of years...

America is just a baby, barely over 200 years old. In a short time our country has changed the shape of the entire globe. Our Founding documents have inspired hundreds of other countries to model themselfs after us...

China gets a mixed rep here in the US. Many people from the Far east have alrady come to the US. Koreans, Veitimise, and Japanise. There are Many Americans that have thier family roots going back to these countries. But China is a diffrent country, and a diffrent people then any other in the region...

After the US defeated Japan, we rebuilt the country, and repaired our diplomatic ties, then the US made alliences with the South Koreans and the South Veitimise. These people have came and became Americans...

The Chiniese are a mix though... some of them dont care for the country they live in now, and only consider China to be thier 'home'...

China and The US are going to have a conflict eventualy... they are both to prideful of a people to back down... but mabye it can be avoided... if The Chinese goverment starts to 'govern' within the Rule of Law... and cleans up its Human Rights issues...

China may be VERY old, and have a long and great history... but in the modern world, China may still have some 'matureing' to do...

... and a side note... does China have founding documents?

The US Constitution and Bill of Rights are arguably some of the greatest document ever written... i don't know why a Chiniese citizen would know the US constitution, but mabye they never heard of it. Its not long to read either, its simple... if you have the time, and want to understand a little of what America is all about, read the Bill of Rights and the Constituion, and the Declration of Independence.

Heres just A little taste.

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America,
When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness

[edit on 5/9/2008 by TKainZero]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I have to tackle the "founding of China" in two parts.

Culture - Chinese civilization:
This started about 5000 years ago (unlike the link you have shown). And almost every single Chinese you encounter will tell you that the founder of Chinese civilization is HuangDi (Yellow Emporer) at the Yellow River area. This legend defeated and subdued his main rival YanDi, even back then we don't "exterminate" an enemy, but try to win them over. Together they conquered all the other Tribes. This is also when the common written language was born, but even up untill today there are a numerous spoken dialects. Same grammar, but the speaking can be so different that I will never be able to understand Fujian Language for example. Ironically it was this complicated written Chinese characters that made it a big obstacle for the common uneducated people to learn and therefore many writings and knowledge lost in history. So the Chinese will tell you we are the "Descendants of YanHuang". Legend says at the end a Dragon came down and brought HuangDi to the Heaven. This is also why the Chinese dragons is having such an important role in our culture. Afterwards, the first really recorded (re-)united dynasty started of with the Xia Dynasty (2100BC) 600-900 years after HuangDi. Then came the Shang Dynasty and Zhou Dynasty. The latter one was breaking up and it is commonly considered that the periods of Spring & Autumn and Warring States were a seperate era and one of the longest periods of instability and continuous warring between hundreds of states. Big philosophers and lgends were born in this period. Confucius' teaching is the most well-known and is still influencing the Chinese culture. It was also during these instable warring era that many emigrated to Japan and spread throughout Asia. Then there was one state and man who united China again and established the Qin Dynasty (221BC), calling himself the First Emporer "Shi Huangdi". It was also this "Qin" name that China is called "China" in English, his other legacies is the Great Wall and real unity. This empire died off as quickly as it was established, and eventually the Han Dynasty was established. This and the Tang Dynasty are giving the name of "Han Chinese", a Chinese will call himself "Chinese", "Han people" or "Tang people". Buddhism became the mainstream religion during these two golden Chinese dynasties. From the Xia to the Qing Dynasty (last one) we followed the same patterns again. "Long period" of unity & properity, "short period" of destablization & wars, then "unity & prosperity" again. However, during these periods not once we had "exterminated" a "minority" at all, that's why you can still see over 56 ethnicities in China as of today. Han Chinese were living with these ethnicities at odds, but always trying to be peacefully together. It was during this relatively long period of unity & prosperity that we are always falling back in development. While the European nations HAD to continuous compete with each other and therefore improve, it was the stability that had set us behind the European development at a certain moment. It was during the Qianlong emporer era that we peaked in the Qing dynasty, but it was also Qianlong himself at his later age who somehow made the unbelievable call to not embrace science and "foreign technologies" unlike the Japanese, seems like great leaders can make incredibly bad decisions when they get old. The legacies is over 150 years of black humilating pages in the history books.
(And I still feel I have not covered anything at all about Chinese history)

Current China:
The fall of the dynasty actually happened when China decided not to be part of the technological and industrial revolution. We became xenophobic and isolated ourselves from the world later on while the world was developing herself. The colonial period and having empirialists knocking on our door "to have their fair share" are still very fresh in memory to many. After all, this is relatively only a very short period ago. We stepped into a new period of instability and wars, with all the suffering for hundreds of millions as a result. Among it foreign invasions (Japan and Colonial powers, including America), rebellions and civil wars were marking the end of "stability". We had the patriotic anti-colonists/empirialist boxer rebellions to counter the foreign influences and to not become another broken up colony and in response from the empirialists the most horrific event was the 8-nation invasion of Beijing in 1900, in which the eight countries USA, UK, Japan, Germany, France, Austria-Hungary, Russia and Italy. The humiliation increased the growth of nationalism and the resentment against the "foreigner" (White and Japanese). The cry for modernization helped the Republic of China to overthrow the Qing dynasty officially, lead by the "founder" Sun Zhong San. However, the ROC was incapable of handling the strong foreign forces, losing territories here and there, and warlords all over China declaring themselves as "local kings", effectively China was breaking up. Meanwhile in Europe you guys were fighting the "World War 1" and communism was uprising. It was then that a civil war started between the communists and the ROC, the Americans choosed the side of ROC. Japan took this opportunity and invaded China again, this time with the intention to conquer the whole of China. We have the Jewish holocaust equivalent known as the "Rape of Nanjing", which Japan untill today still denies it ever happened. When Japan is defeated in the World War2 by the allied forces, the civil war continued untill 1949. The communists defeated the ROC and they need to withdraw to the island Taiwan (over 50 years under Japanese occupation/colony). And the People's Republic of China is established. With a strong leadership, the PRC tried to pull all the broken pieces together of the former Qing dynasty in those first years of ruling, and you see in your landmap the China of today. The Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution were two disastrious periods, but in 1979 Deng Xiaoping pulled us together again and started the peaceful opening up of China in an unprecedented way. We have abandoned collectivism, and embraced capitalism, so how "communistic" we are still? "Communism" was only succesful when we added "Chinese characteristics" to it and we are moving towards a system ruled by the Law and constitution.

This is in short the history, and I still miss a lot

[edit on 10/5/08 by IchiNiSan]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
well said.

That does shed some light.

Thank you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join