It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The AFL Thread (Australian Football League)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   

I am creating this thread as a place that we Aussies can discuss our national football code, and anyone else that watches it. I know there is alot of you out there so let's discuss our footy.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I will kick things off by saying that i am a West Cost Eagles supporter.

I went to the game on Saturday night where Barry Hall king hit Staker and to the crowds credit (after the initial cheer) they boo'ed him the next two times he touched the ball.

I do find it disgusting that he only received 7 weeks penalty for it when he is now carrying a 7 week injury. Once again the AFL is trying to protect the Sydney market, which, i guess i somewhat agree with, however, such a widely circulated event such as this deserved so real punishment.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
You guys have football in AU... like American Football, or soccer/futbol...

I mean if AU had Football, then that would be sweet.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

Nothing like any of those football codes you mentioned:

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
aaaargh... so once again my team (Eagles) loses on the weekend. Placing us second from the bottom. Injuries are the main cause of our struggle plus the coaches reluctance to cut the dead weight (lynch and hansen anyone?).

Tigers and Bulldogs draw was an awesome game for a neutral to watch, however, i feel so sorry for the poor Tigers and their supporters. The luck never seems to go their way.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Another loss to the Eagles this weekend. What a horrid year.

Once again Sydney is in the news, i find it a little disturbing that they only got a $25,000 for having a 19th person on the field in the dying seconds that led to a point being kicked to level the scores and create a draw.

What if this had been a grand final?

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Ahh... if it was an American Football League, it would have been sweet, and then i could have moved to AU...

Since is Rugby... hmm...

Anyway... Nice Highlights though...

I just never realy got into Rugby... it less popular then Soccer here...

What does it mean when the Kick it thru the posts from outside the semi-circle, and from inside?

Whats the point of dribling?

Are there fouls? Yellow Cards?

I could imagine so Realy bad injuries from this sport....

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

Actually AFL and Rugby are two completely different sports.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
OK... so Victoria vs The All-Stars this weekend.

Turning out to be a bit of a farce with not much of a crowd expected and alot of big names pulling out due to injury, however, i know i will be watching. I will also be hoping to see the 'Big V' get thumped (just for bragging rights).

I will be awesome to see the best 44 players in the comp playing against each other.

[edit on 6/5/2008 by SilentShadow]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Very nice Silent Shadow!!!!!!

Well ... where do I start ...

I am a Power supporter ... So we are both equally hated by the rest of the league!

Sorry to see your boys having a shocker this year ... but you do have a very young team ... and, as long as they stay away from the coke and booze
, they can only get better ... from all reports it is just a lack of experience ... not so much a lack of talent.

On the other hand, The Power, have no excuses for their start to the season.

They should have beaten The Cats, The Crows and most definitely The Lions (how do you loose from 47pts up in the final term????????)

Ok ... realistically ... give us the Lions debacle and we would be sitting pretty at 5th instead of 9th ... fricken frustrating.

V v All Star game turned out to be pretty much what I expected ... lots of great plays and players with no soul or passion ... still great to see all the best on the field at once.

Soooo ... Sounds like we have some AFL lessons we need to give ... I will give answers to your question below in CAPS...

I just never realy got into Rugby... it less popular then Soccer here...

VERY DIFFERENT TO RUGBY ... MOST SIMILAR TO GAELIC FOOTBALL ... NO OFFSIDE RULE, TACKLE ONLY BETWEEN KNEES AND SHOULDERS, CAN ONLY PASS USING YOUR FIST TO "PUCH" THE BALL, CALLED A HANDBALL

What does it mean when the Kick it thru the posts from outside the semi-circle, and from inside?

IN REGULAR SEASON NATIONAL COMP THEIR IS NO DIFFERENCES FOR OUTSIDE CIRCLE OR INSIDE CIRCLE ... THE CIRCLE IS USED TO INDICATE 50m FROM GOAL.

IN PRESEASON COMP IF YOU KICK FROM OUTSIDE CIRCLE IT IS CALLED A SUPER GOAL ... THEY ARE TESTING THE SUPER GOAL FOR REGULAR COMP ... WHY DO PLAYERS KICK FROM OUTSIDE THE 50m IF IT IS NO BENEFIT ... CAUSE THEY CAN.

SCORING IS AS FOLLOWS - super goal (outside 50m between 2 middle posts) - 9pts
goal (between 2 middle posts) - 6pts
behind (hit any post or between outside posts) - 1pt

Teams regularly score 100+ points

Whats the point of dribling?

TO SHOW CONTROL ... THEY MUST BOUNCE THE BALL EVERY 15m

Are there fouls? Yellow Cards?

THERE ARE PENALTIES FOR MANY THINGS INCLUDING DANGEROUS PLAY ... THERE ARE NO RED OR YELLOW CARDS IN AFL ... THEORETICALLY YOU CAN KILL SOMEONE AND YOU WILL NOT BE SENT OFF (that is quite dramatic ... but you get my point).

ALL DANGEROUS PLAYS ARE REPORTED AND DEALT WITH AT A TRIBUNAL (the AFL court) IF FOUND GUILTY PLAYERS ARE SUSPENDED AND/OR FINED.

I could imagine so Realy bad injuries from this sport....

AN AFL PLAYER RUNS AND AVERAGE OF 20KM PER GAME ... BODY CHECKS, TACKLES AND COLLISIONS ARE COMMON. ALL NORMAL BALL SPORT INJURIES HAPPEN IN AFL. THESE PLAYERS ARE REALLY REALLY STRONG AND FIT.

I hope that makes sense and isn't too convoluted.

Please add anything you think I missed Silent Shadow

Again ... nice thread mate

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Horza

Yay... finally someone to discuss football with lol.

You are correct with WCE being young, from what i understand they are the second youngest team in the competition. As i have heard somewhere else, it is easier to cope a loss with a young building team than an old one.

Correct on the experience, i think confidence is something that is lacking for the most part as well. Losing your captain AND 'spiritual leader' in one swoop is going to devastate any team.

I don't mind the Power, i do think the main reason for their dislike is the apparent lack of support at your home games. It outwardly appears as though there is no passion. As for your slow start, after what happened in the Grand Final, confidence is not going to be raging high, few games under your belt as we have seen and Power will rise. I also believe it would be the same for WCE, but we need the wins first lol.

I enjoyed the V vs AS, it was great to watch and i haven't boo'ed a team (Vics) like i did that night in a long time lol. My fiancee thought i was being a bad sport... but... well... meh LOL.

I don't know how i missed TKainZero's questions, but you did a fine job answering them.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Cheers mate!

Btw ... we don't mention the last game to decide the winner of the AFL competition in 2007 ... we just don't mention it

I agree with the you completely about the lack of support at home games .. mind you, it's all relative, as another Power supporter told me.

We had an average of about 27000 per home game which is the lowest of any AFL team but higher than every other team from every code except the ARL Bronco's

The AFL want each team to get about 27000+ for home games ... so we aint toooo bad ... I mean the cats only got about 32000 ... and North Melbourne only got 28000.

So yeah, we need to get out and support more ... but it is only like you said "apparent" lack of support.

I very very very much enjoyed booing the Vic's ... hell yeah ...

This weekend is gonna be a big one for us ... We have Hawthorn in Tassy ... It's gonna be tough with out Chad Cornes but I think if our youngsters step up then we will surprise them. It's all about the midfield I reckon ...

Can your boys take The Roos?

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Another bloody 50+ point turn around against us ... this better be the last one of the season or we are doomed.

Saying that, the young lads played very well for the game, but just ran out of steam and where overhauled by a very good Hawthorn side. No shame there, just disappointment.

That win could have really put our season on track.

The next 4 are Swans, Dockers, Blues and The Cats. Home, away, home, away.

We can take the Swans at home ... the Dockers are crap ... Carlton will be a great game but if we can shut down Fevola we will be fine ...

Your boys under some pressure?

Are you happy with The Eagles general talent??

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Horza
Another bloody 50+ point turn around against us ... this better be the last one of the season or we are doomed.

Saying that, the young lads played very well for the game, but just ran out of steam and where overhauled by a very good Hawthorn side. No shame there, just disappointment.

I missed out on the details to the PA game.

No shame in losing to the Hawks lol... there is a reason they are undefeated. Your season is still very much alive, not going to be easy but you have a chance at finals.

Originally posted by Horza
Your boys under some pressure?

Are you happy with The Eagles general talent??

I am happy to concede this season now, there is no way we will make finals without our team suddenly fixing their mental game. I am EXTREMELY pleased with the players on our team, except Lynch, i have always hated him. We need a new forward line and then winning games will come from young guns getting games under their belt.

I still maintain that the Eagles problems are ONLY between their ears.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Sorry for not replying in a while ... it's been so depressing I dont want to talk about it ...

Another massive turn around in a game we had in the bag

outscored 7 to 0 in the final quarter ... #in crap

We have Geelong this weekend ... If the boys can pull this one out of their arse I will scream with joy and then scream with frustration that they didn't play like this before.

Like you said:

Its all in their heads ...

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
those mighty tigers are on the up.

lets hope we can get a win aganst the scum infront of 80000 at the g this week for our centenary celebrations.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Ahhhhh too long since i last graced this thread... oops.

Well alot has happened, my poor eagles are still a disgrace and only percentage is keeping them from the bottom. So much has happened to this club nothing amazes me anymore, Kerr got stung by a stingray in the recovery session at the beach this weekend.

What next??????

Going down to Sydney this weekend to watch Sydney vs Collingwood at ANZ Stadium, going to be a massive crowd.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Hey awesome thread SilentShadow!!

I'm a Crows supporter, but sometimes I'll go for Port mainly cos my dad does and I like South Aussie teams
... Carn the Crows!!!

Victoria vs All Stars was, well to me, a pretty funny game. Especially Bryan "Strauchnie" Strauchan. Lol, a hot dog to get you going again?! This V vs A was the first I watched all the way through, Hamish and Andy made it funnier to watch lol.

I haven't ever been to see my Crows play, you guys are lucky! I've only been to the MCG once, and that was because my dad was in the Masters Games.
Hopefully this year I'll get to a game, cos I'm dying to see my team live instead of just watching em on tv...

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Sparkly_Eyed777

Unfortunately due to living here in NSW we didn't get to see the EJ Whitten match
i heard that those guys were pretty funny as usual.

I went down on the weekend to watch Sydney vs Collingwood, what a PATHETIC game of football. Both teams played terribly but Collingwood walked away with the win.

I am considering going back down when Sydney and Geelong play, just because with Geelong playing at least we know someone will play a good game.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Yeah, if you go to a Geelong game, you know it'll be worth it. They're not top for nothing I guess

I can't believe Port beat Adelaide grr, now Adelaide are 9th on the ladder. At least we're still doing better than Port, who are 13th

I still have hope for my Crows though

[edit on 21/7/2008 by Sparkly_Eyed777]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join